Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not that I think Brooklyn is selling Bridges -- they're not -- but he's going to be 28 this summer. Why trade assets for a player who will be done by the time Wembanyama is ready to truly start in on contending? Figure in year four with him on the Spurs could really be making noise and Bridges will be 32.
    Because I think Wemby's timeline starts quicker than you do.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trae solves the offensive problem and we could take a shot at a few long term PG’s through the draft and be fine. But we would surely have to give up Vassell on a Trae deal.
    I don't think they'd want Vassell. They want to try and get their picks back because they'd be going complete tear down if they move Trae.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think they'd want Vassell. They want to try and get their picks back because they'd be going complete tear down if they move Trae.
    I get Trae is a baller and I’d roll the dice on his personality but he had issues there. Could be addition by subtraction and Murray could be better without him. They might consider retooling around their current roster.

But a complete tear down like you’re suggesting is totally possible.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get Trae is a baller and I’d roll the dice on his he had issues there. Could be addition by subtraction and Murray could be better without him. They might consider retooling around their current roster.

But a complete tear down like you’re suggesting is totally possible.
    Also, I'm not advocating for getting Trae. When reports initially came out yesterday, my first thought was he'd do well here. I do like how he fits, but I probably wouldn't like the price compared to what those same or similar assets could bring us elsewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm on the fence with a Trae trade as it is risky to mortgage future draft picks for the following 3 to 4 years? I do think Victor is way ahead of schedule as far as being a focal point on a contending Spurs team. So if the Hawks are willing to trade and Trae is open to play with the Spurs it would be hard for the FO to not entertain the idea of bringing him over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because I think Wemby's timeline starts quicker than you do.
    When it starts doesn't even matter. Bridges will be 32 when Wemby is 23. Then you've just wasted assets for a guy who will be done for the rest of Wembanyama's career. Why?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When it starts doesn't even matter. Bridges will be 32 when Wemby is 23. Then you've just wasted assets for a guy who will be done for the rest of Wembanyama's career. Why?
    Because Wemby is ready to start competing next year. Bridges helps him do that. By the time Bridges is 32 we can move on, but he has a games that should age fairly well.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no way Trae is available, not unless he asks out. Can't see it happening mid-season.
    And even if he asks out, it would take a lot. Probably 4 or 5 FRPs and anyone else Hawks want except for Wemby and Devin.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The best case scenario for a Wemby/Trae pairing would be something akin to Jokic and Jamal Murray, but I don't think Trae has the kind of at ude that would allow him to accept being the clear second option. He is also a significantly worse defender.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The best case scenario for a Wemby/Trae pairing would be something akin to Jokic and Jamal Murray, but I don't think Trae has the kind of at ude that would allow him to accept being the clear second option. He is also a significantly worse defender.
    Trae off ball is not a thing. It would be more like CP3 and Deandre Jordan.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When Bridges is 32, Wemby will be 24 and a half. Wemby can already be one of the best players in the league if it were not for the minutes restrictions. And in two years he should be a top three player in the league, Bridges will be 29.

Bridges timeline is fine with Wemby's early years.
    Last edited by rascal; 01-12-2024 at 01:34 PM.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trae:

Atlanta- Tor pick, Spurs 25 and 27, chicago pick + doug + graham +KJ+Malaki

Spurs- Trae + Patty

Or

Brooklyn- doug + graham + Toronto pick + Spurs 25 and 27 picks

I'd rather go for Bridges
    Trae would cost more than that. They'd probably want the 24 pick too. At least Trae grew up a Spurs fan per the Express News so imagine he'd be excited to be here with Wemby.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trae would cost more than that. They'd probably want the 24 pick too. At least Trae grew up a Spurs fan per the Express News so imagine he'd be excited to be here with Wemby.
    You're correct... I noted above in a previous post that I was to light on the Trae deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Instead of just trade ideas, here's another question:

How should the Spurs build around Wemby with positions 1-4? What types of players would be ideal, with no regard to the current roster nor reality?

Here are some basic ideas by position with a few archetypal examples. Of course, I understand that we won't have all-time greats at every position. It's just a starting place. I'm really curious how this forum see this.

1: Taller than average, excellent distributor/floor general, either offensively or defensively elite: Jrue Holiday/Denis Johnson
    2: 3-level scorer, defensively at least average, high IQ: Klay Thompson/Joe Johnson
    3: Elite offensively or defensive stopper, good rebounder for position, decent passer: Kawhi Leonard/James Worthy
    4: Elite shot blocker/rim-runner, tough-minded, mobile: Jaren Jackson/Antonio McDyess

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

How should the Spurs build around Wemby with positions 1-4? What types of players would be ideal, with no regard to the current roster nor reality?

Here are some basic ideas by position with a few archetypal examples. Of course, I understand that we won't have all-time greats at every position. It's just a starting place. I'm really curious how this forum see this.

1: Taller than average, excellent distributor/floor general, either offensively or defensively elite: Jrue Holiday/Denis Johnson
    2: 3-level scorer, defensively at least average, high IQ: Klay Thompson/Joe Johnson
    3: Elite offensively or defensive stopper, good rebounder for position, decent passer: Kawhi Leonard/James Worthy
    4: Elite shot blocker/rim-runner, tough-minded, mobile: Jaren Jackson/Antonio McDyess
    Dillingham
    Vassell
    Risacher
    Cam Johnson
    Wemby

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously height is always needed, but I think that the most important thing is that Spurs find an elite floor general.
    Trae's defense is really bad, but offensively he'd be everything the Spurs need. He's as good as it gets on offense for someone his size, though.
    I'm not a fan of point guard being the first or second scoring option, but if it works, why not.
    But as I said, top notch passing is a must. Our future PG should easily get 10apg when he plays full minutes.

I think Devin is the only guaranteed piece for the future aside from Wemby. No upgrade needed and I wouldn't trade him unless we can get a legit superstar that's on Wemby's timeline.

I'd be fine with your textbook 3-D wing. Bowen being the best example, obviously. Can't have everyone do everything, all-NBA defender that knocks them down from the corner and is a good cutter should suffice.

I'm leaning more towards a tall SF archetype than traditional PF like you mentioned. Very few teams have two legit bigs and if you ask me, our SF and PF should be interchangeable.
    I'm against that style of basketball, but with Wemby, star playmaker and Devin that can create for himself, it would be enough to dumb it down on the wings to the level of MDA offense.
    All Wemby would need with an elite playmaker is spacing.

Tre would be decent enough as a backup point guard for a while, then get a Clarkson/Lou type 6th man scorer because another Manu isn't happening.
    Ibaka style stretch big as a backup and someone who can start in those few matchup against legit twin towers we wouldn't be able to contain with just Wemby.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trying to edge in on an LA-Atl deal

LA- Dejounte + Cedi
    Atl- Russell + 2029 LA 1st + our Chicago 1st
    Spurs- Reaves

Is the Chicago pick to much to give for Reaves or would a slew of 2nd's get it done?
    Last edited by mo7888; 01-12-2024 at 04:50 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trying to edge in on an LA-Atl deal

LA- Dejounte
    Atl- Russell + 2029 LA 1st + our Chicago 1st
    Spurs- Reaves

Is the Chicago pick to much to give for Reaves or would a slew of 2nd's get it done?
    id attach one or two 2nds to the chicago first for Reaves and not blink

spurs cant just absorb reaves' salary tho, we need some outgoing

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    id attach one or two 2nds to the chicago first for Reaves and not blink

spurs cant just absorb reaves' salary tho, we need some outgoing
    You're right... I had Cedi going to LA and just omitted it...I'll edit it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're right... I had Cedi going to LA and just omitted it...I'll edit it
    think doug/graham works better to match reaves' pay, since murray/russell are a wash

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Dont think you need a rim runner type with Wemby. Definitely need the table setter and someone who can score in the midrange when breaks down. In theory Devin is the latter. As for the other two positions, in today's league i think you want essentially two 6'8-9" SF, one lockdown defender and the other a knock down shooter (who isnt a complete minus on D).

[table setter]
    Vassell
    [best available SF in 24 draft]
    Sochan
    Wemby

Key reserves:
    - steady hand PG (Tre)
    - heat check/change of pace guy (Keldon; Malaki; Vet)
    - Center (Collins)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    think doug/graham works better to match reaves' pay, since murray/russell are a wash
    I doubt LA would want Graham, but I'd be thrilled if they wanted Doug over Cedi.

My trade with Cedi net salary implications:

Atl: -$906k
    LA: -$4.3M
    Spurs: +$5.2M

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love these ideas, but I can’t see LAL or ATL wanting to let us squirm our way into a trade and get good value. Also don’t see how that Lakers offer isn’t immediately beat by any other team (including the Spurs, if they were so inclined).

Getting DLo and a 2029 first doesn’t really help them now, and waiting 6 years for the payoff doesn’t kick off a rebuild.

Do ANY of the rumored teams have some upcoming FRPs to offer Atlanta? Detroit is a sneaky contender for his service (though I’m sure DJM wouldn’t be too happy about it) as is Cleveland if they weren’t confident they could retain Spida

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love these ideas, but I can’t see LAL or ATL wanting to let us squirm our way into a trade and get good value. Also don’t see how that Lakers offer isn’t immediately beat by any other team (including the Spurs, if they were so inclined).

Getting DLo and a 2029 first doesn’t really help them now, and waiting 6 years for the payoff doesn’t kick off a rebuild.

Do ANY of the rumored teams have some upcoming FRPs to offer Atlanta? Detroit is a sneaky contender for his service (though I’m sure DJM wouldn’t be too happy about it) as is Cleveland if they weren’t confident they could retain Spida
    What package can LA offer that's better than that?

Thread Information