Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In 2 years Trae can opt out and sign a 5 year / 320 million contract.
    Yeah, not great timing with Victor coming the year after. Two historically big max contracts at the same time from the Spurs front office seems an hetical to the way they've built the team in the past, but who knows. Certainly leaves this front office very little left to fill out a compe ive roster. They might not have a choice but I feel like Trae might not be tge other guy of all the other available FAs in that time to secure a max deal from our front office.

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not a Young fan he's not likely to improve much on Defense, is a get mine before all else player and doesn't seem to be worth his contract. Is he a good player? Yes, but he's over paid for his production and doesn't have good intangibles. If you could get him away from Atlanta cheap, that's fine but this is a give franchise player price for someone who is arguably overpaid. We aren't looking for Curry, or Lillard 10 years ago to pair with Wemby. We are looking for a guy who is where White was when the spurs got him, to be where White has been the last 2 years when Wemby starts coming into his own.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cant wait for trae

cant wait to see wemby leave in FA

lol spurm front office going after trash players

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will say this: at no point should the Spurs include their's or the Hawks' '25 first in any trade tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, not great timing with Victor coming the year after. Two historically big max contracts at the same time from the Spurs front office seems an hetical to the way they've built the team in the past, but who knows. Certainly leaves this front office very little left to fill out a compe ive roster. They might not have a choice but I feel like Trae might not be tge other guy of all the other available FAs in that time to secure a max deal from our front office.
    Victor would also likely satisfy the Rose Rule and command 30% of the cap. The biggest rookie extension contract in NBA history. Combined those two would make 60% of the cap in 3 years time. For anyone saying another star would come when we get Trae, that accounts for 90-95% of the cap on 3 players.
    Last edited by rankingtear; 02-10-2024 at 07:59 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People saying Trae doesn’t win games but he made it to the ECF with John Collins as his #2. You’re telling me having a generational talent like Wemby won’t fix the doubts you may have.
    What happened when ATL added all star Murray?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I may very well be wrong, but I think folks are underestimating what landing someone like Trae would really cost. Who knows what is real, but if teams are offering 4 FRPs for Bridges... I'd say getting Trae will be expensive. I doubt we ever actually find out though. I don't think Trae is getting moved.
    I agree with Bum that that's too much. The bridges offer was probably highly protected picks.

My question is though, who would we be competing with for Trae and what do you think their offer would be? The answer to that determines if a trade is feasible or not. I'm generally in the same camp as you. I'd do it at a certain price, but Trae isn't worth overpaying for imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree 100% with this. There seems to be two camps, one that doesn't want Trae at any price, and those who think we should get him at all costs.

I'm in the middle. I'd be happy to have him for the right price, but not giving up the farm for him. I'd probably go as big as TOR, SA '25, '26 Swap back to them, ATL '27, Keldon. But they also have to take Collins. (I probably try to keep Keldon out of it if I can).

I doubt that is enough to get it done, but it's as far as I'm willing to go. Trae would be fun and I think a definitely a positive addition to the team, but not good enough to want to go balls out for. If it were Maxey or Halliburton... now I'm ready to back up the truck. But not for Trae. I'd rather have DJM back at a fraction of what we got for him.
    there ain't a lot of teams left that have picks to make an offer tbh. And the 2 that do, OKC and the Knicks, already have their All-Star PG. So I don't think ATL has that much room to push up the asking price. The Spurs can put up the best offer without giving up the farm. You give them what they gave us for DJ plus maybe Keldon and a high protected first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another thing that might hold Spurs from entertaining any deep conversation regarding Tre, is that there is a real possibility that Luka might seek out from Mavs as earlier as next trade deadline. I dare say by the 2025 off season, Luka could be gettable. Now that offer would have to be huge. We are talking about 5 unprotected picks plus 2 good players. Where as Tre could be as low as 3 or 4 picks plus 1 good player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trae the coach killer playing for the league’s oldest coach could be a deadly combination

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, the alternative was paying a Fred Van Vleet a ton of money.

And, yes, you need to understand the importance of reasonable salary slots attached to decent players. If you did want to get a Trae Young you have to bundle up some players in addition to draft picks.

Again, this really isn't hard. The Spurs contracts are structured to ease or disappear when they may need to start paying other players or to give them flexibility. There are real reasons to complain about choices made. Relentlessly ing and moaning about these contracts aren't.
    continuing the meme that the spurs only options were to:

a) do exactly what they did
    b) max out Vanvleet

with nothing in between

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Victor would also likely satisfy the Rose Rule and command 30% of the cap. The biggest rookie extension contract in NBA history. Combined those two would make 60% of the cap in 3 years time. For anyone saying another star would come when we get Trae, that accounts for 90-95% of the cap on 3 players.
    Yup. Lakers situation almost. At least we would still have picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    continuing the meme that the spurs only options were to:

a) do exactly what they did
    b) max out Vanvleet

with nothing in between
    van fleet is just a placeholder for what it a tepid FA class last and this year. replace with austin reeves, the corpse of chris paul, etc. So many people aren't willing to say what exactly they'd do and instead say the spurs are wrong. Judgement must be made in context to be fair.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will say this: at no point should the Spurs include their's or the Hawks' '25 first in any trade tbh.
    Finally someone that gets it. Thank you Robz.

Those picks are likely going to turn into ing gold while we will or SHOULD be much lower on draft day in future years.

Those Atlanta picks are precisely how this team goes on another sustained 20 year run of greatness.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finally someone that gets it. Thank you Robz.

Those picks are likely going to turn into ing gold while we will or SHOULD be much lower on draft day in future years.

Those Atlanta picks are precisely how this team goes on another sustained 20 year run of greatness.
    I'm fine including the '27 pick in the right trade but '25 and '26 have generational-level players in Flagg and Boozer coming out. Hard to turn down a shot at them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm fine including the '27 pick in the right trade but '25 and '26 have generational-level players in Flagg and Boozer coming out. Hard to turn down a shot at them.
    Plus,if you trade back the ‘25 pick and Atlanta hits the jackpot, your ‘27 just turned to .

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That pretty much insure that there won't be a 3rd star and let's say that the Spurs would be lucky to get a guy like Flagg or Boozer that we wouldn't be able to resign them at the end of their rookie contract

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not saying they should but being lottey pick is not a factor as far as keeping a player or not... there's two who just got cut this past deadline and history shows many are out of the NBA before 5 years.

You should never fall in love too much with your picks.
    But only the spurs FO are re s because their late lottery picks didn’t turn out to be Halliburton.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you'd keep the pick based on like 5% chance to hit the jackpot?
    If Hawks keep Trae, those picks won't be top5.
    If Hawks trade Trae somewhere else, they won't tank because they won't own their picks.

Over the past 20 years I never hated anything more than fans of awful franchises basing their entire rebuild on draft lottery luck.
    Now our fanbase is at that point.

When will you realize that Spurs are probably the luckiest franchise in history and that we hit multiple jackpots.
    Stop with the "maybe we get Flagg or Boozer" nonsense.

Right now we're a team that's getting on by every team with like three good NBA players and things need to change quickly if we want to keep Wemby happy.
    He had zero easy looks against the Nets, these scrubs are incapable of running a single play to get their 7'4 center an easy bucket. It's ing embarrassing.
    If not for Wemby, this roster would legit break all the negative records and finish the season with like 4 wins or some .

Do you understand the extent of how awful this team is?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs<>Trae chatter all seems to be one way. As in coming from the Trae camp. Not sure SA has any serious interest at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trae would be a short term/small picture addition. An improved & acclimated Wemby next season + Trae would mean the Spurs reach the play in, but that's a low bar for this franchise. Ultimately, for a team thinking big picture/long term, the goal is championships, not first or second round playoff exits, and not a financial inflexibility that limits growth. In my opinion, Trae raises the floor and lowers the ceiling, and makes a future le less likely rather than more likely. A team like Sacramento, given their history, can be happy making the playoffs with little chance of winning a le, but I think San Antonio's ultimate goals are higher than that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's say that Young can bee gotten at a reasonable price. Draft picks do gain value as the draft becomes bird in hand at seasons end. I can see it happening.

Young undoubtedly helps a lot of offensive woes. Pick and roll with Wemby and Young would be lethal.

He does trivialize Jones on offense as much as Young handles the ball but he does open the door for Wesley. The issue with that backcourt -assuming Wesley keeps developing his defensive chops- is size. I would think the ideal backcourt pairing for Young would be a 3-D swing type of the Verdes mold.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you'd keep the pick based on like 5% chance to hit the jackpot?
    If Hawks keep Trae, those picks won't be top5.
    If Hawks trade Trae somewhere else, they won't tank because they won't own their picks.

Over the past 20 years I never hated anything more than fans of awful franchises basing their entire rebuild on draft lottery luck.
    Now our fanbase is at that point.

When will you realize that Spurs are probably the luckiest franchise in history and that we hit multiple jackpots.
    Stop with the "maybe we get Flagg or Boozer" nonsense.

Right now we're a team that's getting on by every team with like three good NBA players and things need to change quickly if we want to keep Wemby happy.
    He had zero easy looks against the Nets, these scrubs are incapable of running a single play to get their 7'4 center an easy bucket. It's ing embarrassing.
    If not for Wemby, this roster would legit break all the negative records and finish the season with like 4 wins or some .

Do you understand the extent of how awful this team is?
    Wait, if Trae is the ing Superman you say he is, trading him is an automatic tank. Did you even read that sentence before you pressed post?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you even read that sentence before you pressed post?
    Did you even read it before you replied to it?
    Spurs and Nets are the only teams that need a point guard and could trade for Trae with just picks and no good players going the other way.
    Nets would have to give up those Suns picks and even those aren't guaranteed to be top5, you never know.

Every other trade would have to involve good players, like what happened with Suns-Nets and Bridges/Johnson going the other way.
    Hawks would have no incentive to bottom out because they don't own their picks. They'd be bad, but they would compete.

Those Hawks picks aren't getting into top5 unless they're back with the Hawks or unless we get massively lucky in the lottery.
    Don't get me wrong, those picks are still some of the best assets in the league and I'm sure can provide great value, but in my opinion hoping to get another top3 pick from those is just grasping for straws.

Jaylen Brown in 2016 was the last top5 pick that was owned by another team outright. That was a pick from KG/Pierce trade.
    Before that you have to go all the way back to 2011 Kyrie draft and Clippers being idiots.

Right now, Spurs have:
    1. The best prospect in 20 years who's showing he's worth the hype.
    2. Second most first round picks after OKC and a ton of second round picks, I lost count.
    3. A ton of cap space. $36M under the next season's projected cap if noone's traded. And every contract is easily moveable.
    4. Wemby aside, the worst roster in the league. Take out the best player from all the teams and we're easily the worst team in the league.
    5. Wemby aside, two players with potential. Devin and Jeremy. With Devin already being under pressure to deliver because he got a big extension.

Idk about you, but I expect those people who are paid a lot of money in the front office to finally make some good roster moves because they haven't made one since 2011 draft.
    Yes, there were some good moves since, but nothing that you could call a masterstroke.
    They had the reputation of by far the best front office in the league, kept pulling out great players noone knew about out of their ass.
    Nowdays 3 out of last 8 players drafted in the first round aren't on the team anymore and aren't even in the league except for Lonnie who's a bench player on a team.
    Another one is more or less one of the worst players in the league (Branham) and Wesley is a long-term project who'll be a useful bench piece at best.
    Keldon was great value considering his draft position, Vassell was a good pick even though better players went after and Wemby was a no-brainer.
    That's a total of 1 no-brainer pick (Wemby), 1 great pick (Keldon) and 1 solid pick (Devin), with 5 failures (Lonnie, Samanic, Primo, Branham, Wesley).

Forgive me, but I just don't have any optimism when it comes to current version of PATFO making trades or drafting players.
    Yes, they can still develop them on a solid level, but we need more than reclamation projects and charity cases.

TL;DR
    We have seen plenty of legit superstars waste their careers on mediocre teams because their front offices were incompetent.
    We have also seen front offices that won with very little resources. Competent teams always prevail.
    Right now PATFO is on incompetent side.
    We've got the best prospect in the league, a ton of cap space and a ton of picks.
    It's time for them to get off their asses and make some good moves, it's been a while.
    Hoping we hit another jackpot with another team's pick is a recipe for disaster.
    Last edited by LeBowen; 02-11-2024 at 10:59 AM.

Are you not entertained? Davidicus's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Makes a lot of sense but only way I’d do it is if Trae asks out of Atlanta, driving the price down.

Thread Information