Page 4 of 63 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you even read it before you replied to it?
    Spurs and Nets are the only teams that need a point guard and could trade for Trae with just picks and no good players going the other way.
    Nets would have to give up those Suns picks and even those aren't guaranteed to be top5, you never know.

Every other trade would have to involve good players, like what happened with Suns-Nets and Bridges/Johnson going the other way.
    Hawks would have no incentive to bottom out because they don't own their picks. They'd be bad, but they would compete.

Those Hawks picks aren't getting into top5 unless they're back with the Hawks or unless we get massively lucky in the lottery.
    Don't get me wrong, those picks are still some of the best assets in the league and I'm sure can provide great value, but in my opinion hoping to get another top3 pick from those is just grasping for straws.

Jaylen Brown in 2016 was the last top5 pick that was owned by another team outright. That was a pick from KG/Pierce trade.
    Before that you have to go all the way back to 2011 Kyrie draft and Clippers being idiots.

Right now, Spurs have:
    1. The best prospect in 20 years who's showing he's worth the hype.
    2. Second most first round picks after OKC and a ton of second round picks, I lost count.
    3. A ton of cap space. $36M under the next season's projected cap if noone's traded. And every contract is easily moveable.
    4. Wemby aside, the worst roster in the league. Take out the best player from all the teams and we're easily the worst team in the league.
    5. Wemby aside, two players with potential. Devin and Jeremy. With Devin already being under pressure to deliver because he got a big extension.

Idk about you, but I expect those people who are paid a lot of money in the front office to finally make some good roster moves because they haven't made one since 2011 draft.
    Yes, there were some good moves since, but nothing that you could call a masterstroke.
    They had the reputation of by far the best front office in the league, kept pulling out great players noone knew about out of their ass.
    Nowdays 3 out of last 8 players drafted in the first round aren't on the team anymore and aren't even in the league except for Lonnie who's a bench player on a team.
    Another one is more or less one of the worst players in the league (Branham) and Wesley is a long-term project who'll be a useful bench piece at best.
    Keldon was great value considering his draft position, Vassell was a good pick even though better players went after and Wemby was a no-brainer.
    That's a total of 1 no-brainer pick (Wemby), 1 great pick (Keldon) and 1 solid pick (Devin), with 5 failures (Lonnie, Samanic, Primo, Branham, Wesley).

Forgive me, but I just don't have any optimism when it comes to current version of PATFO making trades or drafting players.
    Yes, they can still develop them on a solid level, but we need more than reclamation projects and charity cases.

TL;DR
    We have seen plenty of legit superstars waste their careers on mediocre teams because their front offices were incompetent.
    We have also seen front offices that won with very little resources. Competent teams always prevail.
    Right now PATFO is on incompetent side.
    We've got the best prospect in the league, a ton of cap space and a ton of picks.
    It's time for them to get off their asses and make some good moves, it's been a while.
    Hoping we hit another jackpot with another team's pick is a recipe for disaster.
    The funny part about popovich lamenting how players don’t know how to play basketball when they come into the league is the Spurs don’t draft guys with 3 or 4 years of college basketball experience. No one is forcing you to take on projects. Your scouting is obviously not very good. How about a different approach?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Makes a lot of sense but only way I’d do it is if Trae asks out of Atlanta, driving the price down.
    We can teach him how to pull a Nephew Special.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The funny part about popovich lamenting how players don’t know how to play basketball when they come into the league is the Spurs don’t draft guys with 3 or 4 years of college basketball experience. No one is forcing you to take on projects. Your scouting is obviously not very good. How about a different approach?
    Basketball IQ doesn't have anything to do with experience.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure we're tanking next season too. There's nothing that indicates them wanting to improve the team by a wide margin. It will probably be more development and experiments with 2 new draft picks coming in and another tank for a strong 25 draft class.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the idea makes me want to vomit

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure we're tanking next season too. There's nothing that indicates them wanting to improve the team by a wide margin. It will probably be more development and experiments with 2 new draft picks coming in and another tank for a strong 25 draft class.
    The real tank will depend on some vets additions via trade or fa, we'll see what's the plan during the offseason. Overall i also think the spurs will not rush anything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you even read it before you replied to it?
    Spurs and Nets are the only teams that need a point guard and could trade for Trae with just picks and no good players going the other way.
    Nets would have to give up those Suns picks and even those aren't guaranteed to be top5, you never know.

Every other trade would have to involve good players, like what happened with Suns-Nets and Bridges/Johnson going the other way.
    Hawks would have no incentive to bottom out because they don't own their picks. They'd be bad, but they would compete.

Those Hawks picks aren't getting into top5 unless they're back with the Hawks or unless we get massively lucky in the lottery.
    Don't get me wrong, those picks are still some of the best assets in the league and I'm sure can provide great value, but in my opinion hoping to get another top3 pick from those is just grasping for straws.

Jaylen Brown in 2016 was the last top5 pick that was owned by another team outright. That was a pick from KG/Pierce trade.
    Before that you have to go all the way back to 2011 Kyrie draft and Clippers being idiots.

Right now, Spurs have:
    1. The best prospect in 20 years who's showing he's worth the hype.
    2. Second most first round picks after OKC and a ton of second round picks, I lost count.
    3. A ton of cap space. $36M under the next season's projected cap if noone's traded. And every contract is easily moveable.
    4. Wemby aside, the worst roster in the league. Take out the best player from all the teams and we're easily the worst team in the league.
    5. Wemby aside, two players with potential. Devin and Jeremy. With Devin already being under pressure to deliver because he got a big extension.

Idk about you, but I expect those people who are paid a lot of money in the front office to finally make some good roster moves because they haven't made one since 2011 draft.
    Yes, there were some good moves since, but nothing that you could call a masterstroke.
    They had the reputation of by far the best front office in the league, kept pulling out great players noone knew about out of their ass.
    Nowdays 3 out of last 8 players drafted in the first round aren't on the team anymore and aren't even in the league except for Lonnie who's a bench player on a team.
    Another one is more or less one of the worst players in the league (Branham) and Wesley is a long-term project who'll be a useful bench piece at best.
    Keldon was great value considering his draft position, Vassell was a good pick even though better players went after and Wemby was a no-brainer.
    That's a total of 1 no-brainer pick (Wemby), 1 great pick (Keldon) and 1 solid pick (Devin), with 5 failures (Lonnie, Samanic, Primo, Branham, Wesley).

Forgive me, but I just don't have any optimism when it comes to current version of PATFO making trades or drafting players.
    Yes, they can still develop them on a solid level, but we need more than reclamation projects and charity cases.

TL;DR
    We have seen plenty of legit superstars waste their careers on mediocre teams because their front offices were incompetent.
    We have also seen front offices that won with very little resources. Competent teams always prevail.
    Right now PATFO is on incompetent side.
    We've got the best prospect in the league, a ton of cap space and a ton of picks.
    It's time for them to get off their asses and make some good moves, it's been a while.
    Hoping we hit another jackpot with another team's pick is a recipe for disaster.
    They're one or two injuries or trades away from the lottery, man. You simply don't give up those picks when your goal as a team is to be nowhere near the draft lottery after next season. Though thinking about it, RC_Drunkford may be right that PATFO goes all in on another season of tanking. That said, if they do, they might as well hire Wemby's moving van now.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're one or two injuries or trades away from the lottery, man.
    ...idk what to say anymore.
    I write a wall of text about how and why our front office shouldn't be building around things that aren't guaranteed to happen and then you write that.
    Every team except for the two top contenders is one or two injuries away from the lottery.
    Should PATFO sit and pray someone gets injured?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...idk what to say anymore.
    I write a wall of text about how and why our front office shouldn't be building around things that aren't guaranteed to happen and then you write that.
    Every team except for the two top contenders is one or two injuries away from the lottery.
    Should PATFO sit and pray someone gets injured?
    And I read and agreed with much of your wall of text, and rebutted where I disagreed. We have plenty of other draft picks and a summer of free agency pending with which to get better. All I'm saying is, you don't just wistfully throw away possible gold my man.

As you properly noted, we have lots of money and other draft picks to go after a giant in free agency OR two or three really good ones...

For example: Jrue Holiday, Miles Bridges, Tyrese Maxey Restricted), Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Malik Monk, Buddy Hield, OG Anunoby. Paul George and The Beard are also possibilities, though more doubtful given what they've got going on.

You sign two or three of those guys, and this team is likely playoff bound next year. Meanwhile, perhaps there's a trade demand or an injury to Atlanta and you've got gold heading into a much better draft class in two years. Add that on to whatever we pick up in this year's draft class with maybe two top 7 or 8 picks...now we start cooking with grease.

Just don't be in such so rush to dump those ATL picks just yet man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with this, and I think there is a strong chance you can write the exact same thing a year from now. Pop and Wright have the cushiest jobs in the NBA. No expectations, no accountability... just big paychecks and "patience"

Until the ownership of the team starts demanding results, we'll just keep hearing about how we need to trust some undefined, never-ending process.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with this, and I think there is a strong chance you can write the exact same thing a year from now. Pop and Wright have the cushiest jobs in the NBA. No expectations, no accountability... just big paychecks and "patience"

Until the ownership of the team starts demanding results, we'll just keep hearing about how we need to trust some undefined, never-ending process.
    I hope this is not the case. Even the Spurs should know.. as the Hinkie Sixers, the recent Detroit Pistons and the Houston Rockets experiments show.. Extending the "development" phase indefinitely will only breed mediocrity and develop nothing.

The Spurs *must* get at least a couple of good FAs to speed up Wemby's development, i.e. playing with decent players and not a glorified G-League squad.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know why people post about Young's rep for getting coaches fired as a bad thing

That might be a good thing for SA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope this is not the case. Even the Spurs should know.. as the Hinkie Sixers, the recent Detroit Pistons and the Houston Rockets experiments show.. Extending the "development" phase indefinitely will only breed mediocrity and develop nothing.

The Spurs *must* get at least a couple of good FAs to speed up Wemby's development, i.e. playing with decent players and not a glorified G-League squad.
    I sure hope so, but I have lost all faith in this FO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt it. It has been possible to effectively tank this year, what with the point Sochan experiment. (Don't be surprised to see that return at the end of the season if the tank chase gets tight.) But next year, with Wemby acclimatized to the NBA? Unless he gets a major injury, we are not making the bottom 6, no way no how. Thus, there is little point in deliberate tanking and assorted line up bull will fade away...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt it. It has been possible to effectively tank this year, what with the point Sochan experiment. (Don't be surprised to see that return at the end of the season if the tank chase gets tight.) But next year, with Wemby acclimatized to the NBA? Unless he gets a major injury, we are not making the bottom 6, no way no how. Thus, there is little point in deliberate tanking and assorted line up bull will fade away...
    I mean I thought the same this offseason, but here we are. And even with Tre Jones at PG and Sochan at PF we're garbage. Super garbage. The team should be better next season and might not be in the bottom 6, but unless they are making the play-in, I'd still call it a tank even if they try to win. Pop certainly didn't plan on losing this many games at the start of the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basketball IQ doesn't have anything to do with experience.
    What? That's like saying regular IQ doesn't have anything to do with education. The BG Spurs weren't just all psychic-brain folks. They had years of experience playing ball, playing with each other, playing in Pop's system, hanging out. Obviously, some players are smarter, observant or more intuitive than others. But BBIQ is very much about understanding the game and what to do, and that comes from experience. That's pretty apparent when you look at Wemby, who's very smart and intuitive but is making a ton of mistakes reading the floor because of his inexperience. If you put the Spurs players into situations and explain the right thing to do enough, they will be more likely to execute in those situations.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What? That's like saying regular IQ doesn't have anything to do with education. The BG Spurs weren't just all psychic-brain folks. They had years of experience playing ball, playing with each other, playing in Pop's system, hanging out. Obviously, some players are smarter, observant or more intuitive than others. But BBIQ is very much about understanding the game and what to do, and that comes from experience. That's pretty apparent when you look at Wemby, who's very smart and intuitive but is making a ton of mistakes reading the floor because of his inexperience. If you put the Spurs players into situations and explain the right thing to do enough, they will be more likely to execute in those situations.
    That's continuity and chemistry, not basketball IQ; which is innate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think people need to accept that a major trade is going to cost the Spurs things they'd rather not trade. They aren't going to "leverage" the Hawks into taking only the redundant assets. They can protect one or two things, like Wemby, Vassell, the 2024 pick, or the 2025 picks. I'm not saying all of the unprotected things will go out -- I'd say most won't. But you have to come correct in this deals, and posters aren't willing to do that. Young is either a major piece of the puzzle or he isn't. If he's not, there's no reason to pussyfoot about this. Figure out who the major pieces and try to go for them. If he is, then you come correct and make the best deal you can. That's it. It's real simple.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's continuity and chemistry, not basketball IQ; which is innate.
    Just like regular IQ is not innate, basketball IQ isn't. If you want to argue there are genetic factors that go into it, that's fine. But any expression of BBIQ is going to come in ways that experience and coaching will also factor into.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You see how many franchises out there that don’t have draft capital or coveted talent. A lot of teams made moves over the last 3-5 years that have buried themselves in playoff purgatory and still 1-2 players away from being serious contenders.

Not exercising patience has locked a bunch of teams up in bad spots.

I’m all for making moves and I think we will but can’t rush it. Being prudent now is a good move. I fully expect to see them loosen up a bit in the offseason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not getting Trae without giving them their 25 back. You’re getting an all nba caliber guard who just turned 25. There’s no pinching pennies. You either want him or you don’t

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think people need to accept that a major trade is going to cost the Spurs things they'd rather not trade. They aren't going to "leverage" the Hawks into taking only the redundant assets. They can protect one or two things, like Wemby, Vassell, the 2024 pick, or the 2025 picks. I'm not saying all of the unprotected things will go out -- I'd say most won't. But you have to come correct in this deals, and posters aren't willing to do that. Young is either a major piece of the puzzle or he isn't. If he's not, there's no reason to pussyfoot about this. Figure out who the major pieces and try to go for them. If he is, then you come correct and make the best deal you can. That's it. It's real simple.
    Why would you want to save Vassell?

to me he’s our best asset for a trade + draft picks

He’s shown too many limitations and will soon be overpaid in regard of what he brings.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He’s shown too many limitations and will soon be overpaid in regard of what he brings.
    At some point you have to have more than 1 good player. If you’re gonna return a solidified all star for Vassell and picks fine but no such trade seems feasible to me. For example you’re not getting Tatum or someone of that level.

Vassell is perfect 3rd option who could heat up as a 2nd option on any given night. Like most of the players on our team Vassell greatly benefits from a real pg not an experiment.

He’s not someone I’d look to move unless it’s a wild no brainer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You see how many franchises out there that don’t have draft capital or coveted talent. A lot of teams made moves over the last 3-5 years that have buried themselves in playoff purgatory and still 1-2 players away from being serious contenders.

Not exercising patience has locked a bunch of teams up in bad spots.

I’m all for making moves and I think we will but can’t rush it. Being prudent now is a good move. I fully expect to see them loosen up a bit in the offseason.
    I certainly hope we do. I’m just saying I don’t have faith we will. This FO hasn’t done much in the way of team building to inspire confidence in them. They’ve done a good job selling assets and sinking to the bottom… but appear fully content at staying there. We’ll see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think you misread the post? The argument I made is that the Spurs can only have one or two untouchable assets in trade discussions and that they need to pick from among that list what they want to protect. So Vassell may or may not be on the table in a trade, as could Risacher, Topic, Holland, Sarr or whoever the Spurs select with their pick, as could any of the Spurs' premium picks or other prospects. A number of posters want to protect most of those assets under the belief the Spurs could outbid most offers without involving those things. That's actually not true for reasons we've talked about. But even if it were true, that's not the at ude I think the Spurs can take into negotiations and be successful. They need to target what they consider to be the most important opportunities and offer aggressive packages with very little off the table for negotiation. Otherwise, the Spurs are going to end up with the Celtics under Ainge.

Also Vassell is fine.

Thread Information