My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if we get Topic, do we need Young>??

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pass on Quickley too, followed him more closely on Toronto and he's not the guy you want with the ball in his hands in the last minutes of an important game, he's not worth the 25M+ he was supposedly asking for.
    we cant keep waiting years to find the perfect pg to tag along with wemby.Hes a pg who play d and can hit outside shots and is
    a decent passer.We gonna have to overpay to have a shot at stealng him from raptors.But hey we wont lose draft capital as well
    trading for a good pg as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we cant keep waiting years to find the perfect pg to tag along with wemby.Hes a pg who play d and can hit outside shots and is
    a decent passer.We gonna have to overpay to have a shot at stealng him from raptors.But hey we wont lose draft capital as well
    trading for a good pg as well.
    Quickley isn't really a PG, and you'll waste MORE years if you overpay for a guy you later have to give up assets to get rid off. Dillingham, Sheppard are better and cheaper. I'd also rather pick up Tyus Jones in free agency, trade for Brogdon or Simons from Portland, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When was that?

Tre Jones.
    White, Murray, Primo

We all know Jones is just keeping the seat warm and is a placeholder.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2025: $43,031,940

2026: $45,999,660

2027: $48,967,380

4-12 3-8 11-13 1 1 2 10 0 0 6 2 -27 22
    22 & 10, 3/8 on 3, 13 FTs would be perfect for a spurs PG next to Wemby. That's litterally all spurs lack, a PG who can create for others and dish, shoot the 3 and draw fouls, scoring his 20s then letting Vic be the main guy and offensive weapon.

Now defense is an issue but you have the best defenser in the game behind you, then add a couple 3&D guys around. So yeah, its about the price and salary more than anything if you ask me. Trae and one ore or two vets makes that team much better from day one, so the question is if its worth the price and if you can do better down the road. Not sure Luka is necesarily knocking that door anytime soon. And there always will be one desperate contender whose windows is closing you can offload Trae to if that doesn't work out. Harden went from Hou to NJ to the Sixers to the Clippers in 5 years...

Cos Im not sure I want to watch spurs just add and try to develop a bunch of other rookies the next 4 years so Wemby
    can contend (or not) in year 7..., specially if you consider the current youngsters wont do it... This is 2024, you gotta be proactive because other teams are. Thunder just didnt luck into Chet, he has Shai to play with in his early years already gaining experience at the highest level... Give that chance to Victor now, he needs and deserves it, but can do it all by himself.
    Last edited by JPB; 1 Week Ago at 03:07 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Trae Young and think he's a pretty exciting player and seems like a cool personality. Not sure I like him for the Spurs and not interested in deals for him. I admit I'm intrigued by the star power and figure eventually the path to a ring might have to include paying up for that star that puts you over the top but I feel like Young has shortcomings and for the price tag it's intolerable. I also get how Young type players don't just come along often and this might be the best chance to recruit name brand star power. It may be a risk to let this pass.

Perhaps if Wemby is good enough to do anything with in the first place then Wemby is good enough to attract some serious talent and the right fit will materialize and Spurs will get their two-superstar system eventually anyway.

But my main problem is the price tag. I wouldn't pay a Michael Jordan super clone 48.9 that's absurd. That's like a third the whole team salary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    22 & 10, 3/8 on 3, 13 FTs would be perfect for a spurs PG next to Wemby. That's litterally all spurs lack, a PG who can create for others and dish, shoot the 3 and draw fouls, scoring his 20s then letting Vic be the main guy and offensive weapon.

Now defense is an issue but you have the best defenser in the game behind you, then add a couple 3&D guys around. So yeah, its about the price and salary more than anything if you ask me. Trae and one ore or two vets makes that team much better from day one, so the question is if its worth the price and if you can do better down the road. Not sure Luka is necesarily knocking that door anytime soon. And there always will be one desperate contender whose windows is closing you can offload Trae to if that doesn't work out. Harden went from Hou to NJ to the Sixers to the Clippers in 5 years...

Cos Im not sure I want to watch spurs just add and try to develop a bunch of other rookies the next 4 years so W
    t
    can contend (or not) in year 7..., specially if you consider the current youngsters wont do it... This is 2024, you gotta be proactive because other teams are. Thunder just didnt luck into Chet, he has Shai to play with in early year, already gaining experience at the highest level... Give that chance to Victor now he needs and deserve it, but can do it all by himself.
    You make a pretty decent proposal there and believe me the thought of Young to SA is enticing. I could see it and wouldn't be resistant but do prefer to wait and see on this ultimately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watch Trae defense.
    That request should come with some sort of warning

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trae would be a massive mistake. Would instantly lower the ceiling of this team. Atlanta are a mess and won't be able to get rid of him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Felt bad for Murray after watching the play-in game ... Trae Young is so not a Pop player, I don't know why this ever was a thing

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    man, Atlanta kinda ed, I almost feel bad the Spurs have their next 3 FRP after this year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trae would be a massive mistake. Would instantly lower the ceiling of this team. Atlanta are a mess and won't be able to get rid of him.
    Couldn’t agree more. I’m hoping Mike Finger’s reporting that that Spurs will not be the team to match ATL’s price is accurate.

I keep finding it amusing that people are fixating on Trae almost exclusively for his ability to make Wemby the ultimate lob pass threat. Just silly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not even arguing about the pertinence of adding Trae but seeing some spurs fans absolutely not wanting himcos it would 'hurt' the team but trusting the process of developing Wesleys, Branhams or Scchans or wanting Grahams and Mamus to start...

You'd swear some havent watch the team these past two years and realize how awful spurs have been and this roster is, litterally bottom of the league, with nobody yet you'd like tl start on a contender. .Reality check, that team has been badly sucking for 2 years and all they have today is Wemb, a guy who is serious about starting to wiin now.

Picks? Sure but all you have with picks is hope and uncertainty,. Thats not a guarantee in any way. Many teams have had picks these past years and are still nowhere. If you dont pick well, which spurs haven't lately, you're condemned to find the 'right' deal with whoever would actually be interested in yoir picks, with little assets besides to bulk up the trade (lets not overvalue our current players in other GMs eyes). And we're seing what developing picks in a losing culture is giving, players with low BBIQ who don't know how to win. Ask Detroit or Philly about piling up picks.

The 'yeah we suck now but we have picks!!!'' Mantra and proscratination can be tricky and dangerous. Thats betting on a necessarily better furure. But the NBA doesnt revolve around the spurs and other teams are working too. Should have OKC reject the Shai trade to trust the process and build through the draft for 4 years? They pulled the trigger and were right. Now Chet is contending in his rookie year. It's never too early to be compe ive, TP was in his first year too. You dont absolutely have to be patient but simply smart. Wating doesnt guarantee you anything.

Specially, and last but not least, spurs would be badly inspired, but I'm sure they re starting to realize that, to consider they have Wemby locked for his first 7 years in the NBA The guy Is really different on that aspects of things too, and is serious about being compe ive as soon as next year. Vic will make hundreds of millions in his career, if not billions, out of his contracts and endorsments, its not losing a 'few' dozens millions on the table that would keep him here after his rookie deal... spurs are under pressure to give Wemby a winning team soon, the countdown has already started for them.
    Last edited by JPB; 1 Week Ago at 08:37 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It lowers the ceiling of a team that finished last place in the West. Oh ok. I guess next year Trae can lead us to worse than 15th place in the West. I bet you if Trae was on our team we would not finish any worse than we did this year in our seeding.

**edit** we ended up finishing 14th. Either way my point stands

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So let’s see - Trae young the bed which means either his asking price goes down and the spurs can get him for less, or any other team that gets him pays less and the hawks get less back making their future picks better for the spurs. Coby white shows he’s potentially a guy to build around making the odds of a bulls rebuild lower and allowing the bulls pick to convey in the next 3 years. Great night all around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So let’s see - Trae young the bed which means either his asking price goes down and the spurs can get him for less, or any other team that gets him pays less and the hawks get less back making their future picks better for the spurs. Coby white shows he’s potentially a guy to build around making the odds of a bulls rebuild lower and allowing the bulls pick to convey in the next 3 years. Great night all around.
    Again, not defending specially Trae, but let's try to stay fair and objective. That was one game out of injury and his TS% on that game is not that bad. Embiid scored 23 on 6/17 shooting last night, in a 1 point win thanks to Batum going bonanza on 3 (and blocking a potential game winner). Not sure we can say Embiid shat the bed and is a wortless player spurs wouldnt trade for...

But we can argue about Trae's value overall.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, not defending specially Trae, but let's try to stay fair and objective. That was one game out of injury and his TS% on that game is not that bad. Embiid scored 23 on 6/17 shooting last night, in a 1 point win thanks to Batum going bonanza on 3 (and blocking a potential game winner). Not sure we can say Embiid shat the bed and is a wortless player spurs wouldnt trade for...

But we can argue about Trae's value overall.
    I’m not commenting on his worth as a player, I think he’s excellent. More on the fact that he had a poor performance and poor performances in high leverage situations can drive down a player’s trade value, which benefits the spurs regardless of whether or not they want him or not.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not even arguing about the pertinence of adding Trae but seeing some spurs fans absolutely not wanting himcos it would 'hurt' the team but trusting the process of developing Wesleys, Branhams or Scchans or wanting Grahams and Mamus to start...

You'd swear some havent watch the team these past two years and realize how awful spurs have been and this roster is, litterally bottom of the league, with nobody yet you'd like tl start on a contender. .Reality check, that team has been badly sucking for 2 years and all they have today is Wemb, a guy who is serious about starting to wiin now.

Picks? Sure but all you have with picks is hope and uncertainty,. Thats not a guarantee in any way. Many teams have had picks these past years and are still nowhere. If you dont pick well, which spurs haven't lately, you're condemned to find the 'right' deal with whoever would actually be interested in yoir picks, with little assets besides to bulk up the trade (lets not overvalue our current players in other GMs eyes). And we're seing what developing picks in a losing culture is giving, players with low BBIQ who don't know how to win. Ask Detroit or Philly about piling up picks.

The 'yeah we suck now but we have picks!!!'' Mantra and proscratination can be tricky and dangerous. Thats betting on a necessarily better furure. But the NBA doesnt revolve around the spurs and other teams are working too. Should have OKC reject the Shai trade to trust the process and build through the draft for 4 years? They pulled the trigger and were right. Now Chet is contending in his rookie year. It's never too early to be compe ive, TP was in his first year too. You dont absolutely have to be patient but simply smart. Wating doesnt guarantee you anything.

Specially, and last but not least, spurs would be badly inspired, but I'm sure they re starting to realize that, to consider they have Wemby locked for his first 7 years in the NBA The guy Is really different on that aspects of things too, and is serious about being compe ive as soon as next year. Vic will make hundreds of millions in his career, if not billions, out of his contracts and endorsments, its not losing a 'few' dozens millions on the table that would keep him here after his rookie deal... spurs are under pressure to give Wemby a winning team soon, the countdown has already started for them.
    Well, it's not like the only choice is trade for Trae RIGHT NOW or hope Julian Champagnie magically morphs into Scottie Pippen and Blake Wesley becomes the next Chris Paul. They can improve the roster without gutting their future draft capital and cap space.

But I've despised the notion of Trae Young on the Spurs ever since this idiotic report came out. He's a coach killing ty teammate and atrocious defender who plays losing basketball. The Hawks are a .500 team with him. They are a .500 team without him. Not that I required one more iota of evidence about what exactly Trae Young is, but when your "superstar" logs a steaming minus 27 in a win or go home game that you lose by 15 while giving up 131 in regulation to one of the most vanilla offenses in the league... you may want to seriously rethink what adding this guy to the Spurs would really look like.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White, Murray, Primo

We all know Jones is just keeping the seat warm and is a placeholder.
    Uh no, Primo is what you get when you get when you draft for size only for your PG.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It lowers the ceiling of a team that finished last place in the West. Oh ok. I guess next year Trae can lead us to worse than 15th place in the West. I bet you if Trae was on our team we would not finish any worse than we did this year in our seeding.

Likes Collins and Branham, thinks Trae Young is a scrub

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah, pretty much. If you want to do your level best to ensure Wembanyama can barely get the team above the play-in level for the next five years, you trade for Trae Young.

- You throw away that could be used for good players
    - He'll eat up a lot of the salary cap
    - He's on a shingle when it counts, like last night

I'll add a fourth one:

- If you make him your 'big trade,' you're not getting another swing of the bat

I get it, you're impatient and want to win now. You don't think improvement is being made. You don't listen when the team says they don't want to skip steps. You don't even listen to Wemby when he says the same thing. You're deeply impulsive and make really bad decisions in life, that sort of thing, so why not be extremely rash and not think straight in fandom, too?

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    you thought this team was winning 40 games, shut the up loser. your opinion is less than worthless

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Likes Collins and Branham, thinks Trae Young is a scrub
    Trae Young will cost you $40-60 million a year plus current players plus draft picks.

Collins and Branham cost you nothing, because they are already on the team. Would I trade to acquire Collins or Branham? No. But they're what we have an cost nothing.

Do you get the difference? I get that this is sort of a second order thinking. On this board, it's more single order of thinking, just like cows eating grass. But look at what I just wrote and think about it a little. It'll sink in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, pretty much. If you want to do your level best to ensure Wembanyama can barely get the team above the play-in level for the next five years, you trade for Trae Young.

- You throw away that could be used for good players
    - He'll eat up a lot of the salary cap
    - He's on a shingle when it counts, like last night

I'll add a fourth one:

- If you make him your 'big trade,' you're not getting another swing of the bat

I get it, you're impatient and want to win now. You don't think improvement is being made. You don't listen when the team says they don't want to skip steps. You don't even listen to Wemby when he says the same thing. You're deeply impulsive and make really bad decisions in life, that sort of thing, so why not be extremely rash and not think straight in fandom, too?
    I mean no offense but let us equate Spurs and business. Imagine you take over a company and you have two managers. One (let's name him Hop) used to be an amazing worker and during the heyday of the company he was front and center. But in the past 5-6 years your manager has lost his touch and now is just incompetent at his job and has no control of his employees. The other manager (Ryan Wrong) is in charge of hiring said employees.

Speaking of employees, all of them show up late, aren't in dress code, and never seem to learn or complete basic tasks given to them. They are nice people overall, they are young and it's their first real job. But they have no professionalism and they aren't dependable at all. All except one guy who is your star employee. He always exceeds his goals that you've placed on him. He always comes prepared, you can give him additional responsibilities and he goes even beyond your high expectations for him. The company overall is doing bad and losing money, but they have this one guy who could really grow and expand the business.

Now you have taken over the company, you have set goals and expectations, and trained your team for years, and even after this only one employee is meeting their goals and the rest are still late, still immature, still can't learn/complete basic tasks, and your company is at an all time worst it has ever been... Only Mr. Body would say that getting rid of these bad employees is considered rash and impulsive.

I'll add a 5th one. Spurs make no moves. Sochan plays like he is playing and receives a deal like KJ got. Now we have our cap tied up in a buncha role players in Collins, KJ, Vassell, and Sochan who will never lead us beyond the play-in and probably won't even get us to the play-in. Now in 5 years Wemby can't even reach play-in level and we have our cap eaten away by a buncha mediocre players for the same exact time frame you are spouting.

Trae Young would cost us the exact same as KJ and Collins. He gives us their exact same offensive output points wise, while unlike those two he can actually run an offense. And similar to those two he sucks at defense so it's a wash on that front. He would probably cost us our own 26 pick and either the 25 or 27 ATL pick. That's all his market is for him. It's not even that big of a trade. And he isn't the star player, Wemby is the star player and as long as he shows up, Trae will follow. Btw the dude did lead his team to the ECFs. KJ and Collins led their teams to what exactly?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They’re not trading Trae unless it’s for a haul. They’re not going to just dump their franchise player just because he had a bad showing in the Play-In. Either the Spurs or Lakers or whoever will make a legitimate offer for him this Summer and they’ll accept, or the Hawks will hold onto him and trade him at a later date. He still has 3 years left on his deal so it’s not like they have to move him right this second, though his value is unlikely to improve much over the next 12 months.

Thread Information