Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem isn’t the numbers, the problem is the numbers don’t say what you assert they say. You said, this better player than Sochan has a comparable assist % to Sochan, therefore Sochan is a good passer. Do you not see the obvious failing in your logic? I’ll spell it out for you: both of them are not good passers.

The problem with Sochan is, not only is he not a good passer, here’s not a good shooter, and he can’t handle the ball, as the horrible earlier season experiment made crystal clear.
    I never said he’s a good passer or a good dribbler. I said he’s a good passer and dribbler for a PF. He’s not a PG level passer or dribbler and I believe we all agreed to it. He can’t play PG. I don’t see Collins or mobley being a PG either. Does that make them someone who can’t dribble or pass? The numbers back me up I watched the games and he’s at least a reasonable passer and ball handler. You guys have your opinions and all but there has been nothing to back you up other than your eye test. Who else in the league is someone who can’t pass and dribble but have comparable ast and tov %? Seriously I don’t know but it’s a hypothetical question.

It is an irrational hate for sochan at this moment. He is playing and producing at a reasonable level for the #9 pick in his draft. He’s not playing like a Jalen Williams or a walker Kessler where he is out producing his draft position. And comments about him not being an nba player and the worst draft pick is flying around, which is just annoying at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never said he’s a good passer or a good dribbler. I said he’s a good passer and dribbler for a PF. He’s not a PG level passer or dribbler and I believe we all agreed to it. He can’t play PG. I don’t see Collins or mobley being a PG either. Does that make them someone who can’t dribble or pass? The numbers back me up I watched the games and he’s at least a reasonable passer and ball handler. You guys have your opinions and all but there has been nothing to back you up other than your eye test. Who else in the league is someone who can’t pass and dribble but have comparable ast and tov %? Seriously I don’t know but it’s a hypothetical question.

It is an irrational hate for sochan at this moment. He is playing and producing at a reasonable level for the #9 pick in his draft. He’s not playing like a Jalen Williams or a walker Kessler where he is out producing his draft position. And comments about him not being an nba player and the worst draft pick is flying around, which is just annoying at this point.
    I mean there’s nothing irrational about being upset with a starter that scores 1 point or 0 points and brings nothing else to the table. You can have a bad game. But not THAT bad. That’s just quitting.

The problem with Sochan is that he’s clearly a bench player but we are so devoid of any talent that we have to start him. Even with those fake Rodman comparisons, Rodman came off the bench. He was a hustle guy off the bench who brought athleticism and defense. Sochan doesn’t bring athleticism but he could bring defense for our awful bench unit.

The spurs have a lot of bench talent that will help us going forward. We just need to get actual starters on this team and veteran starters at that which is easier said than done. I really hope the Clippers flame out in the first round this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean there’s nothing irrational about being upset with a starter that scores 1 point or 0 points and brings nothing else to the table. You can have a bad game. But not THAT bad. That’s just quitting.

The problem with Sochan is that he’s clearly a bench player but we are so devoid of any talent that we have to start him. Even with those fake Rodman comparisons, Rodman came off the bench. He was a hustle guy off the bench who brought athleticism and defense. Sochan doesn’t bring athleticism but he could bring defense for our awful bench unit.

The spurs have a lot of bench talent that will help us going forward. We just need to get actual starters on this team and veteran starters at that which is easier said than done. I really hope the Clippers flame out in the first round this year.
    No question that was a putrid game and people should wince watching that. But did the same people come in and say he’s an MVP level player and PATFO are geniuses after he had a career game? No, because it’s irrational to react after one such game.

The pendulum swings both ways, you can’t just strictly highlight the bad and dismiss the goods. Overall sochan is trending his draft position. He plays hard and he’s improving ever so slightly. I don’t expect him to be an MVP one day but I still see starter on a good team level type of future for him. So far he’s got a bit of everything (except shooting) but the master of none. As long as there is a growth plan for it I think he’d still be a good player in this league. The question is whether PATFO still has it in them to have any type of a career growth path for anyone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having a really bad game is one thing not showing any effort is another entirely. 2 shots in 16 mn, no rebounds, garbage defense and garbage effort that's not acceptable

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Wemby threw more oops to Sochan than the other way around

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His on ball and screen navigation is elite for that size and his matchup difficulty is still top 5 in the league. Advance stats just don't favor these kind of defenders like Dort and Brooks cause they favor staying in front and not fouling. Offense is awful, saving grace is he still a 20 year old in his sop re season.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is what I mean by cherry picking stats. You compare Sochan to favorable compe ion in order to make him look better. I don’t care what position you play, you need to be a skilled offensive player to be an NBA player. Saying Sochan is a bad a passer as another, better power forward is absolutely meaningless

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is what I mean by cherry picking stats. You compare Sochan to favorable compe ion in order to make him look better. I don’t care what position you play, you need to be a skilled offensive player to be an NBA player. Saying Sochan is a bad a passer as another, better power forward is absolutely meaningless
    The context is that he can’t pass nor dribble. I won’t say mobley or Collins can’t past nor dribble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh . Sochan had a decent game. What should we do now? He can suddenly play basketball. Let’s wait for the next time he had a bad game so that we can take the entire frustration we had for the team on one single player.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The context is that he can’t pass nor dribble. I won’t say mobley or Collins can’t past nor dribble.
    Collins is notorious for not passing the ball. Mobley isn't known for facilitating or taking people off the dribble either. Why compare Sochan to them? Just because they have comparable ast% numbers? That tells you nothing.

If you want to compare Sochan to other players, compare him to other players that can similarly not shoot. Try it. It paints an extremely bleak picture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some of y'all really suck massive donkey .

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh . Sochan had a decent game. What should we do now? He can suddenly play basketball. Let’s wait for the next time he had a bad game so that we can take the entire frustration we had for the team on one single player.
    He played a decent game like all NBA starters do from time to time. He still doesn't excel at anything and should be coming off the bench if the Spurs were a real contender.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You were in hiding in his last two games. Like a coward would do

Still want a better player in the future at PF and move Sochan to the bench or trade him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan just ting all over Baseline Bum, Pauleta, Rascal and other fools.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely an S-Tier game from Sochan tonight

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    maybe you should shoot yourself in the head so you dont have to deal with this forum

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, this kid can play. Looks like his 3 ball is fixed too. Not going to make all NBA this year but a lock for the next decade.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    What kind of got says like this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you're into animals now?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    great bounce back game from Sochan. He took over in the 4th and it wasn't the first time. The stat I pay the most attention to with him are rebounds. He's just inconsistent offensively, which has to be expected of a 20-year old in his 2nd season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I like most is that he always works hard. He is not always successful but always trying his best. Also still very young.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it is quite impressive, when he plays aggressive on the offensive end. I don't mean shoot a lot, but actually attack with intent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins is notorious for not passing the ball. Mobley isn't known for facilitating or taking people off the dribble either. Why compare Sochan to them? Just because they have comparable ast% numbers? That tells you nothing.

If you want to compare Sochan to other players, compare him to other players that can similarly not shoot. Try it. It paints an extremely bleak picture.
    Sochan has better ast% than Collins.

I don’t have stathead subscription but f/c who shot as bad as sochan (< 45%) and has an ast% >=15% includes Nikola Jovic, who can definitely dribble and pass. Granted his 3pt% is much better but he did improve drastically from last season to this season over small sample sizes.

Justin Winslow and James Johnson are two other examples. All of them can dribble and pass

You suggest a few.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He played a decent game like all NBA starters do from time to time. He still doesn't excel at anything and should be coming off the bench if the Spurs were a real contender.
    And he lays eggs like all young players do time to time. I’m sure some of you where calling for the team to cut duncan after he had that 5 pt game.

I agree sochan is better served as a bench player now, it who else is taking his place? I also see potential where he can become a very valuable starter on a good team.

Also want to note that you are pretty reasonable on this thread. Not necessarily seeing totally eye to eye with you as I’m admittedly much more of an optimist wrt sochan while you are more pessimistic, but at least you are reasonable in your evaluation. Most others just have an agenda to paint the entire roster as bad as possible because they are wemby instead of spurs fans. Rather disgusting.
    Last edited by ambchang; 03-01-2024 at 07:16 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    foxes coming out of the wood after one win where spurs shoot 150% on 3, in a middle of an atrocious season, going all "Ha!!", "Haha!!", "Sssso!"... acting like that was making spurs or Sochan any better...

Sochan can score points in the NBA, Ok, cool, every player can, and nobody said he was a scrub, but still not just a starter in a contender. He's a valuable player, but still can't shoot and doesn't fit next to Wemby.

Thread Information