Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...o-Be-Throttled

The NBA's compe ion committee has officially begun reviewing whether the game has become too advantageous for offense and whether some changes need to be implemented to achieve better balance.

"It is a topic that we're monitoring," Joe Dumars told ESPN earlier this month.
    Lip service or does the NBA really make changes that encourage lower scoring games?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    League faves like Pop and especially Steve Kerr have been ing about this for a few years. Seems when Kerr's team stopped being able to man their opponents up and have the golden boy Curry stay relevant, now they are going to monitor it. And the league can see their new golden boy in Wemby plays for an abomination defensively and has no hope without rule changes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its easy to blame rule changes tbh its way more a result of the average player being a much better 3 point shooter than in years' past. teams just run up in semi-transition and burp up 3's that in past eras would have been decried as a bad shot and would have gotten a player benched. its not like any recent rule has specifically made it easier to get up quality looks from 3

they could get rid of defensive 3 second rule, so that way teams cant just space out and force the paint to be vacated, at which point you need the defense to collapse and leave shooters open to contest the rim.

its not to do with 3 pointers specifically, but i still think the league can do a much better job of cracking down on unnatural movements on offense or shots that are attempted with zero expectation of it going in, strictly to draw a foul, ie feeling somebody's hand on your waste and therefore just cutting off your dribble and abruptly throwing up a one handed shot from 16 feet away. it bothers me that when the player with the ball is standing, backing down, etc, and the defender has one hand on him, its not a foul. but if the offensive player decides to go up for a shot, even without the defender moving a muscle, that hand placement magically becomes a foul. it either is a foul before you went up for a shot, or its not a foul at all. thats different from a defender moving and causing his arm to make contact with a player who is already in a shooting motion

i dont think the last one will address the scoring issue as much as most people think, but it will make the game more watchable
    Last edited by spurraider21; 02-28-2024 at 08:24 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its easy to blame rule changes tbh its way more a result of the average player being a much better 3 point shooter than in years' past. teams just run up in semi-transition and burp up 3's that in past eras would have been decried as a bad shot and would have gotten a player benched. its not like any recent rule has specifically made it easier to get up quality looks from 3

they could get rid of defensive 3 second rule, so that way teams cant just space out and force the paint to be vacated, at which point you need the defense to collapse and leave shooters open to contest the rim.

its not to do with 3 pointers specifically, but i still think the league can do a much better job of cracking down on unnatural movements on offense or shots that are attempted with zero expectation of it going in, strictly to draw a foul, ie feeling somebody's hand on your waste and therefore just cutting off your dribble and abruptly throwing up a one handed shot from 16 feet away. it bothers me that when the player with the ball is standing, backing down, etc, and the defender has one hand on him, its not a foul. but if the offensive player decides to go up for a shot, even without the defender moving a muscle, that hand placement magically becomes a foul. it either is a foul before you went up for a shot, or its not a foul at all. thats different from a defender moving and causing his arm to make contact with a player who is already in a shooting motion

i dont think the last one will address the scoring issue as much as most people think, but it will make the game more watchable
    Agree with all of this. Also crack down on moving screens. You're right that today offenses are optimized due to increased spacing from better 3 point shooting. You can't really increase the distance of the line as this is going to create even more space. And shortening the line just makes 3 pointers easier to shoot. So by cracking down on moving screens you're at least making them harder to shoot without giving the offense more space to operate. Also screen navigation is a lost art now for defenses as it almost seems like defenders can't really get around screens without it being called a foul. Also any offensive player that initiates contact while the defender is in legal guarding position should not be getting a call i.e. the Giannis special.

2004-2005 NBA Champions Barfunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There HAS to be a balance, period. You have to make the game as pure as possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah 100% agreed that there needs to be renewed emphasis on moving screens

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Moving screens.

Inability to play defense on the perimeter.

Offensive player slams into a defender just standing there, free throws.

All that needs to go away. The rules were changed to suit Curry and the Warriors, then rip-throughs and other things changed to help Harden. We need some sanity.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The league is chasing and embracing highlights. They need to have some respect for the game. Ideally the refs would be independent of the NBA to some degree, meaning some autonomy and not beholden to whimsical points of emphasis coming down from the Commissioner. To me that would be common sense. Let the games be compe ive and aggressive at times. It's so controlled and soft now. It's emphasizing stars at the expense of the game itself. Acknowledge that football is king and create a product people actually want to watch. Should take games off the schedule, it's too many for this modern era. No one cares enough.

And yet Silver is pissed that the players blew off the All Star game. How ironic. That's the inevitable result of his vision.

Anyway.

*Steps off soap box

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its absolutely insane how you cant really play defense anymore.

Basketball is a physical game or at least it used to be. When the NBA made it where any contact essentially results in a foul, that takes away drastically from the defense.

Also need to crack down on all the screens and the traveling, as in actually enforce it.

To start with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

these changes wouldn't affect the scoring in the slightest. At the end of the day, if you can't put an arm on your opponent's chest, the offence will always have the advantage.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Must watch video for everyone, imo.
    Explains everything in detail and puts ridiculous "milkmen and plumbers" narratives to bed.

Half the stars today wouldn't be able to bring the ball up across the halfway line with old-school refs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Removing defensive three in the key would be the most simplistic solution. Giving refs more rules to officiate usually make things worse.

Hand checking won't work. Players will just do rip throughs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean just calling traveling and carrying would fix just about everything. That and the whole jump step after you take your two steps nonsense. If you land on the ground after your second step it's a travel period. Jumpstep is a step (it's in the freaking name).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean just calling traveling and carrying would fix just about everything. That and the whole jump step after you take your two steps nonsense. If you land on the ground after your second step it's a travel period. Jumpstep is a step (it's in the freaking name).
    This is how I feel, especially travels. Basically no travels get called anymore. Carrying the ball has been endemic for decades now, but the ones where the player brings up the ball to pass and simply doesn't (forcing the defense to straighten up to contest) absolutely needs to be called 100% of the time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Extending the three-point line would probably do the trick with no other changes necessary.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are too many games. Why try so hard on D?

I also hate the break away & kick out for a 3 instead of going strong to the cup, but that's more about analytics. Soft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Extending the three-point line would probably do the trick with no other changes necessary.
    I agree in principle, but there's no more room on the short corners to extend it without going full 1A TAPPS high school gym style on the baselines (for NBA players). Expanding the court's width would be required imhumbleo.

Also, I predict in another 10-15 years players would simply have extended their range out that far.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just enforce the rules ?
    Traveling and carrying the ball and moving screens are rampant and they’re all against the rules.
    And I want to see more flopping calls. We saw a few the first week of the season and then??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are the Spurs exempt from the investigation?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Must watch video for everyone, imo.
    Explains everything in detail and puts ridiculous "milkmen and plumbers" narratives to bed.

Half the stars today wouldn't be able to bring the ball up across the halfway line with old-school refs.
    Yeah this guy has an excellent channel. His greatest peaks stuff is good too. This one does an excellent job giving context to the subject matter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think the traveling calls are that bad except for the harden tapdance step backs. Carrying is worse and has basically been a non call since iverson

there are obviously those funny clips of obvious travels and double dribbles but i don’t think there’s a big traveling problem. But the whole “gather step” concept has been a thing for a while.

the biggest frustration is defensive fouls when offense initiates contact
    Last edited by spurraider21; 02-29-2024 at 12:06 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't this the 1989 Eastern conference finals?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The off-arm shoving from offensive players has gotten utterly ridiculous, as well. Defending the ball with a "passive" off arm will always be legit, shoving it into players just gives you a massive advantage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    also yes, thinking basketball is the best basketball channel on youtube

Thread Information