Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll luuuuuvvvv every step of this with zero chance of seeing any of these guys becoming anything else than role players. I mean, are there really people who believe the current core will cons ute the core of a contender in 3 to 4 years? OR maybe we're gonna get Cooper Flag and Cameron Boozer too...? Or that Pop is so great that he"ll make these guys all stars or something while he never did that and never had to run a rebuild...? These people are in a cult, blindly believing the guru will bring them to Sirius, just because he's the guru. That's Trumper level of blindness.
    at least 30% of this board believes exactly that. Apparently KD, Trae Young and LeBron are all cancers and the Spurs should rather add 12 draft picks to the roster in the next 3 years.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m sure that the Spurs powers that be are constantly walking him through their plan to get him a le in the next 5-7 years. I doubt they’re just going about their way and not talking with him. Do some of you really think they don’t know what they have? I guarantee they lose more sleep about how they’re gonna keep Wemby happy than you do. Some people in here probably think they lock Wemby in a closet with a dingy water bowl and gruel.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    out of his own mouth before he was drafted Victor said he wanted to win as much as possible as fast as possible. But behind closed doors in the Spurs secret lab he "relentlessly patient"

I guess the two teams he left in france didn't get that memo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As opposed to ESPN and random fans with "bad vibes"?

I mean, sure. The null hypothesis here is that as long as Wemby is playing and putting up huge numbers, he's a spur. Until there's something definitive from Wemby or an extremely trustworthy source, there's absolutely no reason to believe Wemby is even mildly disgruntled with the Spurs org. Esp considering he wanted to come here to begin with.
    ESPN reporters absolutely have better access than Finger. It’s not even debatable. When has a local guy ever broken a story in the past decade plus? Ever since Ludden left. For some reason people here like to on Windhorst but it’s pretty clear he has access. Ramona Sheldon has written way more inside stuff about the Spurs than Finger. And Woj?

It’s fine if you want to believe Wemby is happy and don’t want to jump off a cliff but acting like local reporters know is laughable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "That's not who we are!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is the bracketed part at the beginning of the tweet what OP does to himself every night?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im not to worried about Wemby this year as I'm sure he is giving the FO a leeway this season but if we have a meh type of off-season after this season then I think the relationship with him may start to become damaged.

Wemby is just not the type of player that will stand for mediocrity and its in his heart and soul to complete.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at least 30% of this board believes exactly that. Apparently KD, Trae Young and LeBron are all cancers and the Spurs should rather add 12 draft picks to the roster in the next 3 years.
    40-year-old Lebron would be a waste of time. KD is now also up there in age. Trae I will say is still young no punt intended would be a good compliment to Victor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah but apparently the Spurs were "blindsided" by how much they suck this year when it comes to the supporting cast. So what plan are they talking about exactly? We badly need a vet star to pair with Wemby. This idea that we can build through the draft just isn't a realistic option when we are not a good drafting team. 19 year olds are not going to help Wemby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah but apparently the Spurs were "blindsided" by how much they suck this year when it comes to the supporting cast. So what plan are they talking about exactly? We badly need a vet star to pair with Wemby. This idea that we can build through the draft just isn't a realistic option when we are not a good drafting team. 19 year olds are not going to help Wemby.
    Preach. Our drafting track record the last 5 years is horrendous and that is with a strong development program.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread has backfired tremendously

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Preach. Our drafting track record the last 5 years is horrendous and that is with a strong development program.
    OKC is worse up until 2022 draft. It still worked out for them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m sure that the Spurs powers that be are constantly walking him through their plan to get him a le in the next 5-7 years. I doubt they’re just going about their way and not talking with him. Do some of you really think they don’t know what they have? I guarantee they lose more sleep about how they’re gonna keep Wemby happy than you do. Some people in here probably think they lock Wemby in a closet with a dingy water bowl and gruel.
    I think we can have a more nuanced pov can’t we?

yes Pop has plenty of compétences but he has also plenty of flaws among which a sort of stubbornness in his dogma which in itself is absurd considering how many times he was wrong and had to adapt his coaching style.
    chances are he could be wrong again.
    we all agree on the process, but most of us don’t on the personnel involved in it.
    just listen to Pop and it’s clear he sees most of this team as the core of the futur spurs. He also advocates for a LONG process which isn’t an absolute necessity contrary to what some of you are presenting.

there’s a world between going for the le next season and waiting 4-5 years to be a contender isn’t there?

THAT is what most of us are advocating for, speed up the process now that you realise Wemby is better and readier than anticipated.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "It's the 20 year-old kid."

RIP the overreactions on this board having nightmares about Wemby demanding a trade to Boston after 1 season in San Antonio.
    That's pretty hyperbolic. I'm not sure even the most chicken little of Spurs fans thinks Wemby is going to demand a trade after one year. There is, however, legitimate concern about the idea of this FO getting the best out of the Wemby era when they have (1) never built a contender from the ground up, (2) a pretty subpar recent draft record, and (3) extremely questionable in-game rotations, decisions and game management.

This is a FO that added Wemby to last year's team and somehow got worse. I feel like a lot of fans are trying to pretend they expected this season, like it was part of the plan, when literally no one was predicting this before the season nor implying it should be the "planned" approach. The only reasons to be confident that they're going to be better next year as a result of adding a couple more rookies are: (1) The bar is extremely low, and (2) Wemby will be one year older.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC is worse up until 2022 draft. It still worked out for them.
    OKC had way more shots at talent tbh. We have Wemby and that is all that matters now but sniffers need to relinquish drafts of old times past and realize we can just as easily develop a 29th pick as a top 10.

Our developmental program was in most cases our strength. Rarely an eye for talent as they are too busy doing background checks.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    This thread has backfired tremendously
    Incoming longer thread les.

The "forward thinking" comment is confirmation bias. How the would you know if someone is forward thinking if you have no idea what the plan is? Patience and hesitancy to divulge your plans to some Motel 6 level reporter doesn't equate to forward thinking. The Spurs fans seem to think people they draft are forever Spurs, that they own them, that Pop controls the finances of the franchise and that nothing has changed since Peter Holt ran the show. They should remember the 2010 era when nothing but mediocre or washed up talent was being added to the Spurs, when Tim was getting fat and the Spurs were not at their peak because of PATFO decisions.

At some point the AOP matters, so if that's where the Spurs are looking, Victor has his own agenda and he has a camp just as Kawhi did (and all superstars do).

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

yes Pop has plenty of compétences but he has also plenty of flaws among which a sort of stubbornness in his dogma which in itself is absurd considering how many times he was wrong and had to adapt his coaching style.
    we all agree on the process, but most of us don’t on the personnel involved in it.
    just listen to Pop and it’s clear he sees most of this team as the core of the futur spurs. He also advocates for a LONG process which isn’t an absolute necessity contrary to what some of you are presenting.

there’s a world between going for the le next season and waiting 4-5 years to be a contender isn’t there?

THAT is what most of us are advocating for, speed up the process now that you realise Wemby is better and readier than anticipated.
    Building fast and building sustainable is near impossible to pull off. Can you think of a team that accomplished both?

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count

Pop sees a long process because Pop has a contract. It's like how a POTUS candidate has a 7 year plan vs a 4 year plan. If that process includes a championship, fine. If it means barely into the play-in bracket in 4 years that's probably not a bar Victor wants to train for.

Sure, the environment now allows more players to reach a global audience, regardless of their US market size. However, US market size is still a huge advantage as a superstar, as better players are attracted to these markets. I don't think guys will be as team loyal as TD, KG and Dame Lillard were. I don't know if they need to be.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Building fast and building sustainable is near impossible to pull off. Can you think of a team that accomplished both?
    Can't do either using G league as a team building conduit. You can probably count on one hand the number of G league players who made an impact in the NBA. Not talking about send down, call back types.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC had way more shots at talent tbh. We have Wemby and that is all that matters now but sniffers need to relinquish drafts of old times past and realize we can just as easily develop a 29th pick as a top 10.

Our developmental program was in most cases our strength. Rarely an eye for talent as they are too busy doing background checks.
    But shooting and size dries up pretty fast and you need wings to be relevant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And while it is refreshing that the Spurs may realize the err of those ways, it's just another piece of evidence that this FO hasn't earned any confidence that it can be the one that turns it around and builds a winner. We are expected to have faith in this FO, but based on what? They shown they are a good demolition crew and can tear a team down to earn a #1 pick... but that's not the job anymore.

Also, this comment from Mike Finger (ignoring the credibility issue of any of the local Spurs media) isn't exactly contradictory to what Windhorst/Woj/Lowe/Shelburne/Andrews have been saying. Wemby is an extraordinarily mature young man, I believe he is fully capable of demonstrating patience when he speaks to the media (and even to the team) while still professionally communicating that he wants the timeline to move a little faster. These things are not in conflict.

If we are sitting at 13 wins this time next year, will Wemby demand a trade? Probably not, but he undoubtedly won't be happy and he'll be demanding some changes. I believe Wemby wants to be a multi-time champion WITH THE SPURS, but I also believe that he's disappointed with what was put around him this year. I'm glad we have a player like Wemby who will force accountability upon the FO. For the first time in a long time, there is a clear cut star that isn't Pop and the FO, and if push game to shove (so long as Wemby handles himself professionally as he has) it would be Pop shown the door over Wemby. This should force Pop and the FO to respond accordingly to Wemby's frustrations. We are fortunate that Wemby is reasonable and does understand the steps (even if he wants to run up them) so he isn't forcing them to make dumb trades. I think Wemby will work with them to build the team the right way. We'll have to see if this FO is up to the task.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's pretty hyperbolic. I'm not sure even the most chicken little of Spurs fans thinks Wemby is going to demand a trade after one year. There is, however, legitimate concern about the idea of this FO getting the best out of the Wemby era when they have (1) never built a contender from the ground up, (2) a pretty subpar recent draft record, and (3) extremely questionable in-game rotations, decisions and game management.

This is a FO that added Wemby to last year's team and somehow got worse. I feel like a lot of fans are trying to pretend they expected this season, like it was part of the plan, when literally no one was predicting this before the season nor implying it should be the "planned" approach. The only reasons to be confident that they're going to be better next year as a result of adding a couple more rookies are: (1) The bar is extremely low, and (2) Wemby will be one year older.
    I’d argue that in 2001, after they got s ed by the Lakers, they tore that team down to the studs, and built a new team around a star, that became the 2003,2005,2007 champs. By the 2005 playoffs, there wasn’t one player not named Duncan from the 2001 playoff team. Malik got shipped out at the deadline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. Building a trophy team in two years means it will fall apart in about the same amount of time

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't do either using G league as a team building conduit. You can probably count on one hand the number of G league players who made an impact in the NBA. Not talking about send down, call back types.
    What do you mean? Two ways?
    Last edited by rankingtear; 03-06-2024 at 12:19 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop sees a long process because Pop has a contract. It's like how a POTUS candidate has a 7 year plan vs a 4 year plan. If that process includes a championship, fine. If it means barely into the play-in bracket in 4 years that's probably not a bar Victor wants to train for.

Sure, the environment now allows more players to reach a global audience, regardless of their US market size. However, US market size is still a huge advantage as a superstar, as better players are attracted to these markets. I don't think guys will be as team loyal as TD, KG and Dame Lillard were. I don't know if they need to be.
    This is a good, interesting point and may be a source of conflict. Pop has a different timeline than Wemby, by simple virtue of where they are in their careers. Pop may view this long process that culminates another NBA le, whereas Wemby sees a future with multiple les over his career. Wemby likely has 4+ les as his goal, based on the standards he sets for himself otherwise. He doesn't merely want to be one of the greats, he wants to be THE greatest. So taking 7-years to win his first may not align with Wemby's vision, whereas it may be just fine for Pop.

Of course, all just speculation.

Thread Information