My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "....Austin was the place to be during the COVID-19 pandemic. Boasting warmer temperatures, lower cost of living and cheap rent and housing prices, millions of Americans fled expensive areas like California and New York for the reprieve of the up-and-coming Texas capital.

This was good for sellers, who typically brought in significant profits compared to what they purchased their home for...."

https://www.newsweek.com/austin-hous...estate-1881538

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    That Biden.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Austin's still gaining population; expected to cross the 1M threshold this year.

Not gaining as much as in the 2010s or during Covid is strictly a function of the loss of WFH jobs and people's realization that the quality of life in Austin generally sucks.

Basically it's East San Jose but somehow with worse traffic, MUCH worse and more humid weather and climate, just as many homeless bums these days as Silicon Valley, and now you've got to drive through it and work from office downtown, pay exorbitant prices for parking etc just to go to work. You're essentially living in a smaller version of Chennai, India, with the same oppressive hot and humid climate, tech-heavy job market, high poverty, high inequality, insane stupid traffic, and increasingly work-heavy culture spurred on by Brahmin Pajeets. People on top of people, packed like sardines. It's just not a good place to live.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    does this mean the east side can go back to not being an all white gentrified bag extension of rainey st?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Mass Exodus" is definitely an overstatement.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have two close friends who left Austin for Houston.
    More $, cost of living lower. They moved to the Heights area of Houston which seems to have a good supply of young couples with kids and stable older money. They are trying to get bonus money for selling their house in Austin but no takers so far. They will take a bit of a loss if the employer in Houston buys it.

I do know the housing market in Austin is stagnant. Nothing seems to be moving.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do know the housing market in Austin is stagnant.
    It's had an amazing run though. This is probably not the worse thing big picture for Austin's development.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    austin is ed already, tech bro culture pretty much ruined everything. cut the music venues in half, forced people worth knowing to the outskirts, and everything is overcrowded since the city never had or prioritized it's infrastructure. city hall obv has deals with the highway and concrete industries to keep roads in constant states of construction, projects that do nothing for traffic flow... homelessness is worse than ever, the police pretend to be underfunded and let the state troopers patrol the traffic that's targeted minorities disproportionately. anyone that came in and turned property into some tesla LA house/air bnb... I hope they get financially screwed for the rest of their lives

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    austin is ed already, tech bro culture pretty much ruined everything. cut the music venues in half, forced people worth knowing to the outskirts, and everything is overcrowded since the city never had or prioritized it's infrastructure. city hall obv has deals with the highway and concrete industries to keep roads in constant states of construction, projects that do nothing for traffic flow... homelessness is worse than ever, the police pretend to be underfunded and let the state troopers patrol the traffic that's targeted minorities disproportionately. anyone that came in and turned property into some tesla LA house/air bnb... I hope they get financially screwed for the rest of their lives
    tee, hee.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bought a house off of Wells Branch in Pflugerville,,,,lived there for a few years and sold it for a big profit after Dell moved into Austin and all the liberals flooded the city. This was over 20 years ago and I even remember Austin was so ed up even then with their bull liberal ideas that a homeless man ran for mayor and he almost got 8% of the vote,,,,,,,,,this is how stupid they are and have only gotten worse,,,,just look at Wine Ho,,,,here's the homeless man's wiki page,,,

Leslie Cochran - Wikipedia

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bought a house off of Wells Branch in Pflugerville,,,,lived there for a few years and sold it for a big profit after Dell moved into Austin and all the liberals flooded the city. This was over 20 years ago and I even remember Austin was so ed up even then with their bull liberal ideas that a homeless man ran for mayor and he almost got 8% of the vote,,,,,,,,,this is how stupid they are and have only gotten worse,,,,just look at Wine Ho,,,,here's the homeless man's wiki page,,,

Leslie Cochran - Wikipedia
    you sold way too early, rube.

what a dip .

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Like any other tech city, the life is on the outskirts. When I go to Austin I hit a couple favorites but mostly stick to the satellite suburb businesses.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Like any other tech city, the life is on the outskirts. When I go to Austin I hit a couple favorites but mostly stick to the satellite suburb businesses.
    aka gay bars.

Mornin', fart-face.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    re detected

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No that was absolutely true but ended a few months ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    does this mean the east side can go back to not being an all white gentrified bag extension of rainey st?
    Nope.

Have you seen the intersection of Springdale and Airport lately?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When I arrived in Austin in the mid 1980s, the hairy hippies and grad students said Austin was no longer cool -- it had already been ruined by Californians.

Austin has its drawbacks, but the people saying Austin is over are about as wrong now as they were then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope.

Have you seen the intersection of Springdale and Airport lately?
    I was living off manor over a decade ago, havent really been back to that area since... I'll check it soon when I want to put myself in a bad mood ha

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are a bunch of new apartments open and opening soon and rents are starting to reflect that. I imagine homebuyers are content to see how much the market cools as a result for awhile. It looks like the I-35 expansion is going to be a show; was a great opportunity to do something great but that's not what we're about.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    There are a bunch of new apartments open and opening soon and rents are starting to reflect that. I imagine homebuyers are content to see how much the market cools as a result for awhile. It looks like the I-35 expansion is going to be a show; was a great opportunity to do something great but that's not what we're about.
    In other words? It's a good thing.

tee, hee.

Thread Information