My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thx Timvp!

I agree with ur grades overall eventho I think you're being too nice with Tre or you might have very low expectations.

He shouldn't be an NBA starter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's actually incredible to see an NBA team not be able to make 3s nor defend them in 2024. Such a perfect microcosm of how the game has passed this organization by in the last decade tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mamu has done nothing but bring energy and competence in the very limited minutes he has this season.

He's been a good soldier that has done nothing but produce when called upon.

And hes been glued to the bench all year long either due to coaching malice or coaching malpractice (probably a bit of both). Hope he finds rotation minutes next season even if it's what he should have had this year, spot minutes to infuse energy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mamu has done nothing but bring energy and competence in the very limited minutes he has this season.

He's been a good soldier that has done nothing but produce when called upon.

And hes been glued to the bench all year long either due to coaching malice or coaching malpractice (probably a bit of both). Hope he finds rotation minutes next season even if it's what he should have had this year, spot minutes to infuse energy.
    I'd love to see him an Barlow get over Collins and Sochan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team is soooo hard to watch. Every position is a difficult shot an no one is a bucket get'er. Not one deadly 3pt shooter.. Every time I see Sochan dribble the ball, im like tragic Johnson alert. He should never be a scoring option outside of put backs, open 3s, or cutting to the basketball. Why isn't Barlow playing at all!?!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see how Sochan doesn’t get an A. His shooting is fine. But his defense and nervy he brings to the team is unparalleled. He also has that jackass mentality that gets under players skin and down jjj last night. Lastly he made the play that almost won them the game last night with that big time steal.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Resident sniffers awfully quiet and nowhere to be seen.

Branham had some people fooled with a few hot shooting nights and then he reverted back to being an unplayable scrub.
    He played 104 minutes 26 seconds over the past 6 games.
    In those 104 minutes and 26 seconds he took 42 shots. Made 12. Good for 28% FG.
    Out of those 42, 19 were 3pt shots. Made 1. He's shooting 5% from three, ffs.
    And he's one of the worst, if not the worst defender in the league.

Wesley is a point guard who's got worse handles than most wings in the league and has no jumpshot whatsoever.
    He's shown some good defensive instincts, but he constantly gets cooked, making him even more useless than Branham.

Sochan is somehow often the second option and he's another player with no jumpshot whatsoever. Or handles. Or playmaking vision.
    And he's also not a good defender, despite his Rodman cosplay.

Those are our three 2022 draft picks.
    2021 pick is a sex offender, which was actually good for PATFO because they don't have to to take the heat of drafting another useless scrub.
    Four first round picks wasted.

I've seen every game from both last and this season, but this one was the breaking point for me.
    Devin and Tre can stay, everyone else needs to go. No exceptions.
    They've had two seasons to develop into something that resembles actual NBA players and they're just getting worse.
    When is someone going to take some responsibility?

We're losing to teams that trot out a bunch of random G-leaguers that won't be on the roster when they're fully healthy and somehow not only lose, but get outplayed and outcoached by the most basic, fundamental, basketball.
    Does a single journalist who's going to ask serious questions follow this franchise? Or are we going to be held hostages by PATFO for another decade?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Resident sniffers awfully quiet and nowhere to be seen.

Branham had some people fooled with a few hot shooting nights and then he reverted back to being an unplayable scrub.
    He played 104 minutes 26 seconds over the past 6 games.
    In those 104 minutes and 26 seconds he took 42 shots. Made 12. Good for 28% FG.
    Out of those 42, 19 were 3pt shots. Made 1. He's shooting 5% from three, ffs.
    And he's one of the worst, if not the worst defender in the league.

Wesley is a point guard who's got worse handles than most wings in the league and has no jumpshot whatsoever.
    He's shown some good defensive instincts, but he constantly gets cooked, making him even more useless than Branham.

Sochan is somehow often the second option and he's another player with no jumpshot whatsoever. Or handles. Or playmaking vision.
    And he's also not a good defender, despite his Rodman cosplay.

Those are our three 2022 draft picks.
    2021 pick is a sex offender, which was actually good for PATFO because they don't have to to take the heat of drafting another useless scrub.
    Four first round picks wasted.

I've seen every game from both last and this season, but this one was the breaking point for me.
    Devin and Tre can stay, everyone else needs to go. No exceptions.
    They've had two seasons to develop into something that resembles actual NBA players and they're just getting worse.
    When is someone going to take some responsibility?

We're losing to teams that trot out a bunch of random G-leaguers that won't be on the roster when they're fully healthy and somehow not only lose, but get outplayed and outcoached by the most basic, fundamental, basketball.
    Does a single journalist who's going to ask serious questions follow this franchise? Or are we going to be held hostages by PATFO for another decade?
    agreed....This team is terrible.Nothing exciting to carry on next season to be happy about with this current squad.Half this team
    should be gone this offseason.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm never going to give Wemby an A when he has 7 turnovers. That has been a problem for him all season. I don't think he blocked a shot in the first half either. Then 6 of 10 on FTs, 3-12 on 3s, that's weak.

We shoot 7 for 38 on 3s and there is no point looking anywhere else for the cause of the loss. Memphis was 12 of 34 on 3s, 35%. We did not even need to shoot 35% from 3 to make 5 more 3s and win this game with ease. So this reminds us why most people want to dispose of the majority of our roster, which is understandable.

A D for Pop may be too generous, Sochan comes out playing great, then Pop benches him for something like 12 minutes when he subs him out. Not sure that would have made a difference, but it was noticeable to me. Also, we are playing the same way we played at the beginning of the season, trying to outshoot teams from 3-point range and failing miserably. Now, teams are wise to give us wide open 3s to anyone our team not named Vassell, which is pretty sad. So, there may not be a fix for that other than trying to drive more which is hard to do when the other team has 3-4 defenders in the paint.

Osman has been mostly terrible and he's got too much experience to be that up and down and stick around on our roster. Champagnie has been quietly playing a bit better, though as noted not really part of the offense expect perhaps leading the league in missed dunks. As one of our better 3 PT shooters, why we don't get him more shots is puzzling.

Circling back to Pop, bad job this game and enough to warrant an F. Even a novice viewer like me and the goofballs on the score chat noted the obvious, that Wemby should have been guarding Jackson Jr on the last play.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are down by a point and have the last play....

you have the only player in the nba who could catch a pass thrown 13-14 feet high...

you double-screen for him to get a 14 ft high pass in the lane and instruct this unicorn to just catch the ball and hold it over his head

if he is not fouled immediately for two free throws to win the game - you tell him to take a turnaround jumper in the lane

either you get 2 ft's or a jump shot from 10 feet and under -

why is this hard?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's actually incredible to see an NBA team not be able to make 3s nor defend them in 2024. Such a perfect microcosm of how the game has passed this organization by in the last decade tbh.
    This is like the 4th straight year of this team not being able to make or defend 3's. Me thinks it's because the coaching is bad. Very very bad.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are down by a point and have the last play....

you have the only player in the nba who could catch a pass thrown 13-14 feet high...

you double-screen for him to get a 14 ft high pass in the lane and instruct this unicorn to just catch the ball and hold it over his head

if he is not fouled immediately for two free throws to win the game - you tell him to take a turnaround jumper in the lane

either you get 2 ft's or a jump shot from 10 feet and under -

why is this hard?
    Because we don't have any good passers on the team when it comes to throwing lobs.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    NBA guards need to be able to shoot. This seems like a fundamental prerequisite to even being in the NBA if your defense is less than stellar.

I don't know that Pop is the guy for this level of development vs results. He's been keen on encouraging other coaches to grin and bear it and lean in on the teaching aspect during tough seasons, but he's not faced many tough seasons. If Pop was going to be kept, it seems that the front office is planning to win, not just field a team. They could do that with any coach.
    Last edited by Tyronn Lue; 03-23-2024 at 11:41 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because we don't have any good passers on the team when it comes to throwing lobs.

so a whole nba season in - and this has not been a priority at practice all year?

no one is practicing lobs when this is their major advantage?

and people here scoff at obtaining trae young?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A stat that tells a lot about Spurs:

There are this year 60 NBA trios with a +/- per 48 minutes above +10 (minutes played over 500 minutes):
    - 59 of these trios belong to winning teams.
    - 1 of these trios belong to a losing team. That's Tre Jones + Vassell + Wembanyama with a +/- of +11.8 per 48 minutes over 752 minutes.

https://www.nba.com/stats/lineups/tr...ort=PLUS_MINUS

No explanations needed...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There are this year 60 NBA trios with a +/- per 48 minutes above +10 (minutes played over 500 minutes):
    - 1 of these trios belong to a losing team. That's Tre Jones + Vassell + Wembanyama with a +/- of +11.8 per 48 minutes over 752 minutes.

That's really interesting.

The Spurs don't have another trio. Good teams have more trios

Something to build on.

Tre's numbers post as a starter are really interesting.
    29.8 minutes, 11.5, 3.9, 7.1 over 40% from three (38-91)

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yup the majority of this roster should gone this offseason.Clean house asap.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's really interesting.

The Spurs don't have another trio. Good teams have more trios

Something to build on.

Tre's numbers post as a starter are really interesting.
    29.8 minutes, 11.5, 3.9, 7.1 over 40% from three (38-91)
    Jones is practically a carbon copy of his older brother, who is a serviceable, if unspectacular, NBA point guard. The idea of signing his older brother, for more money, makes little sense. By the way, Tre has the best true shooting percent on the team at 60.3%, on the strength of his 51% FG shooting and 88% FT shooting. Despite 34% 3 PT shooting, which is also an indicator he can perhaps work his way up closer to the 41% that his brother shoots from 3.

Then if he could learn to throw lobs, we'd be good to go. And of course if he could grow 3 inches, to be less of a defensive liability.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Awful loss on a must win game against scrubs. Terrible from Wemby with 7 TO’s to Pop’s last defensive stance and play. Moving on…

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Awful loss on a must win game against scrubs. Terrible from Wemby with 7 TO’s to Pop’s last defensive stance and play. Moving on…
    Nice summary! Often we just see the 30-15 game from Wemby when we overlook the 7 turnovers. I've about had it with Wemby passing the ball OUT of the lane already, also. Come on dude, when you are in the lane with the ball, SHOOT IT!!! Don't throw it out to Branham or Sochan for a 3 pointer.

The good news is the fix is easy, surround Wemby with better outside shooters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice summary! Often we just see the 30-15 game from Wemby when we overlook the 7 turnovers. I've about had it with Wemby passing the ball OUT of the lane already, also. Come on dude, when you are in the lane with the ball, SHOOT IT!!! Don't throw it out to Branham or Sochan for a 3 pointer.

The good news is the fix is easy, surround Wemby with better outside shooters.
    Spurs hit rock-bottom. It SHOULD only gets better after this season. FATFO have no excuses not to make major moves and that’s all I’m waiting for…

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs hit rock-bottom. It SHOULD only gets better after this season. FATFO have no excuses not to make major moves and that’s all I’m waiting for…
    It's pretty simple, get people who can throw lobs and accurate entry passes to Wemby. Get even average 3 PT shooters. Then we will be killing fools. I would also like to see a better enforcer next to Wemby, a strong rebounding PF/C that can also rim protect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see how Sochan doesn’t get an A. His shooting is fine. But his defense and nervy he brings to the team is unparalleled. He also has that jackass mentality that gets under players skin and down jjj last night. Lastly he made the play that almost won them the game last night with that big time steal.
    I guess he gets credit for catching it but that ball was thrown right to him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This.

Looks like Pop has no idea how to defend in the NBA anymore.

Thread Information