Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There will always be an opportunity to overpay for a fringe AS talent from a middle play in team if desperation is at an all time high. Spurs are far away from that.
    I don't know why this devolved into another discussion about Young when the whole point was essentially, who else?

To sum it up: I like the notion more conceptually than specifically, but would give it more consideration than I'd prefer because . . .

1) It stopped being a "normal" re-build when they got a GOAT caliber prospect.

2) For all the defensive concerns (of course, small guard would be far down the list if you could pick stars), he'd be a good fit offensively.

3) It's rare that things line up in terms of needs (role, age, having assets no one else can offer) with a potentially available star.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know why this devolved into another discussion about Young when the whole point was essentially, who else?

To sum it up: I like the notion more conceptually than specifically, but would give it more consideration than I'd prefer because . . .

1) It stopped being a "normal" re-build when they got a GOAT caliber prospect.

2) For all the defensive concerns (of course, small guard would be far down the list if you could pick stars), he'd be a good fit offensively.

3) It's rare that things line up in terms of needs (role, age, having assets no one else can offer) with a potentially available star.
    All good points.

you don't decide when the "right" star, in the right window, for the right price is available. It's pretty rare and they don't necessarily end up in your team.

Is Trae, the "right" star? Who is, I should answer to get back the topic? Trae certainly fits huge needs for this team and what he brings certainly overcome his flaws, speically if you complete the roster with the "right" role players who are easier to find. I mean sure, a Giannis or Tatum would be just fine but you probably won't get that kind of star, and do they actually fit with Wemby as your alpha?

Any potentially accessibe ones will come up with flaws and you have zero guarantee a Luka will be available down the road. And Dallas has been starting to get things going recently (which I didn't necessarily expect). How picky can you be with the stars you NEED to add to your team? Specially when you're SA, Wemby or not. Do you entirely bet on getting your star via the draft, which means another 4-5 years of "developing" before starting to get relevant? What if you don't (and chances are you won't)?

You souldn't take luck or you good star for granted, nor judge your quality as a organisation withtout taking it into consideration. How competent spurs organisation would be considered if they didn't luck into DRob or Duncan? That obviously changes a lot of things on how you're perceived, and that's the same for Pop who didn't look that good when there was suddenly no MVP or HOFer caliber player in their prime and a contending roster around.

Spurs should be careful of not being overconfident or trusting their program too much. Buidling though the draft, that's for a big part building on luck. Where would that franchise and program be if spurs picked 3 or 4 last year? In pretty bad shape. So yeah, maybe don't be too picky or beleive that patience will necessarily will bring you where you'd like to be.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the ideal roster around Wemby (fully evolved) is:
    Aggressive PG with off the dribble 3 ability primary (Trae, Ant Simons), really as the thing that makes the PnR soar.
    Secondary / tertiary creator 2 / 3 (e.g Vassell)
    3&D + wing (Better Champagnie - probably want one of the two guys on the wing to be a real off movement shooting threat to open up weak side actions and occupy help)
    Rebounding / secondary rim protection PF / second big (Isaac?)

Plenty of debate with that, as you could opt against the heliocentric / always in Trae's hands offence to be more shared responsibility, and move to something like Derrick White /Franz Wagner.

Trae is a good fit in one version of the lineup.

The other debate about Trae is if he's good enough as a second star. He (and Simmons' lack of confidence at making a layup / attempting FTs) got the Hawks to the ECF, and he's a wonderful offensive player. The question is if he's too limited against the mega wings who'll matchup hunt in the playoffs that his defense is a major limiting factor, and that his overall impact might be worth a lot less than the package it would (seemingly ) take to get him.
    I think he's a bit overrated (more top 30-40 player than top 20) I'm concerned that the crackdown on foul-hunting methods will limit him, and think the likely package (Atlanta picks back + stuff (Keldon, Chicago pick)) to get him is an overpay.

Won't be a perfect star, but there should be future opportunities in FA or the trade market to get a good fit at a good price, and the assets that aren't used can upgrade other positions.

Thread Information