Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think no way Edey lasts beyond the 1st Round. Walker Kessler was taken by Jazz 22nd overall last summer.

Some team will gamble on his size and relative talent in the 1R if not Lotto.

2R i would have no problem with Spurs grabbing. I wish we would have taken Walker Kessler in last season by trading up but i get keeping high picks available for future GNob or Parker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Clingan would make a nice backup C (as would Filipowski). I wouldn't want to use a top-10 pick on a player I project as a backup, but people are talking about taking Knecht with the TOR pick, and most of these guys are only going to be role players anyway...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that's the key here....where do you take an Edey? Like i agree with Dejounte/Pauleta that it would make zero sense to draft him, but I'm assuming that we're talking about a lottery pick. If we found ourselves in the 20's by trading down or up then I think it makes sense to draft a backup big...
    It is hard to believe posters still ignore that teams are allowed to trade up or down in the draft. The simple-minded view is we can't take Edey at 20 because we are picking higher and lower than that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does Edey fit in with Wemby Spurs long term?

Yes or No?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is hard to believe posters still ignore that teams are allowed to trade up or down in the draft. The simple-minded view is we can't take Edey at 20 because we are picking higher and lower than that.
    Why would you want to sign Edey, though? A stiff that wouldn't be able to play more than spot up minutes because he would be exposed on defense and that needs to be fed consistently to not be a complete non-factor on the offensive side of the ball? Boban was a more talented version of him and he could never be anything more than a third string freak show for garbage time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Edey would be a top 5 pick in the 90s. He's too 1 dimensional and slow to be an impact player in today's game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Clingan would make a nice backup C (as would Filipowski). I wouldn't want to use a top-10 pick on a player I project as a backup, but people are talking about taking Knecht with the TOR pick, and most of these guys are only going to be role players anyway...
    And Wama needs a backup Center.
    When Wama is on the bench, he is the type that is still into the game 100%. He needs a Center who is competent so he can truly get a rest both mental and physical.

I remember the labored, tired, overtaxed look on Timmy Duncans face when Popped forced him to hold down the paint in 2008-11 with a bunch of stiffs including Matty Bonner at Power Forward. Blair brought some tremendous relief for a season (really he did, look up the stats haters) but it was a given his knees were only going to last a short window period.

Man From Nazer was run out of town by Popped. He provided some great muscle in 2006 before idiot Pop benched him for the season losing series vs Mavs.

Wemby needs some muscle when both playing and on the bench.
    ing Pop will probably sign Bryn Forbes to play power forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Wama needs a backup Center.
    When Wama is on the bench, he is the type that is still into the game 100%. He needs a Center who is competent so he can truly get a rest both mental and physical.

I remember the labored, tired, overtaxed look on Timmy Duncans face when Popped forced him to hold down the paint in 2008-11 with a bunch of stiffs including Matty Bonner at Power Forward. Blair brought some tremendous relief for a season (really he did, look up the stats haters) but it was a given his knees were only going to last a short window period.

Man From Nazer was run out of town by Popped. He provided some great muscle in 2006 before idiot Pop benched him for the season losing series vs Mavs.

Wemby needs some muscle when both playing and on the bench.
    ing Pop will probably sign Bryn Forbes to play power forward.
    Really important point. Back ups and role players are important too. Are we worse off taking a guy with an 80% chance to be a solid backup C than we are taking some project PG or SF who has a 20% chance of being a starting caliber NBA player one day (for example)? Collins's contract throws a little bit of a wrench into things though... it is tough to draft your backup C when you're already paying a guy $35MM for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really important point. Back ups and role players are important too. Are we worse off taking a guy with an 80% chance to be a solid backup C than we are taking some project PG or SF who has a 20% chance of being a starting caliber NBA player one day (for example)? Collins's contract throws a little bit of a wrench into things though... it is tough to draft your backup C when you're already paying a guy $35MM for that.
    Edey has like a 90% chance of being out of the league by year 3, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah. He’ll have a decent career creating bench mismatches. Look how long Boban has lasted. That being said,you don’t want to overreach for a bench player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah. He’ll have a decent career creating bench mismatches. Look how long Boban has lasted. That being said,you don’t want to overreach for a bench player.
    boban had exactly 1 season where he averaged 10 mpg

and boban has more skill offensively than edey has. edey has a nice jump hook with his right, but thats basically it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boban we've been over this.
    Was underused.
    Finally got his big break and was going to fill in for injured Wemby.
    Put up great stats as a starter in his first 2-3 games.
    Got cheap shotted Zaza style.

Was never the same.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was underused.

Was never the same.

"Zollins will be taking over victors minutes while I experiment with victor coming off the bench - Zollins is a true pro and can ably hold the offense together while victor gets over himself!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was underused.

Was never the same.
    he was about as underused as jimmer

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would you want to sign Edey, though? A stiff that wouldn't be able to play more than spot up minutes because he would be exposed on defense and that needs to be fed consistently to not be a complete non-factor on the offensive side of the ball? Boban was a more talented version of him and he could never be anything more than a third string freak show for garbage time.
    As soon as you compared him to Boban you lost. Edey just scored over 60% of his teams points in the national championship game.

Worst case he is a top backup center. Rules and strategy changes could make him much more than that. Also he has the possibility to share the floor with Wemby at times, due to Wembys extreme mobility and perimeter D.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As soon as you compared him to Boban you lost. Edey just scored over 60% of his teams points in the national championship game.
    NCAA is not serious basketball.
    You can find way better bigs in Euroleague and they aren't good enough for modern NBA game.

Worst case he is a top backup center. Rules and strategy changes could make him much more than that. Also he has the possibility to share the floor with Wemby at times, due to Wembys extreme mobility and perimeter D.
    Wemby can play defense with anyone, but we really don't want to clog the paint on offense.
    The only big I'd take to play together with Wemby is an elite shooter like KAT. (I wouldn't take KAT because of his contract, just to be clear.)

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have Clingan a lot higher on my rough ordering in my head (calling it a board is a stretch). Roughly top 10 vs early 2nd (just think Eden will get murdered in the pick and roll, need help, other teams will rain threes).

We've seen the importance of competent back ups for starting centres, and how it can be a limiting factor - Embiid hasn't been perfect in the playoffs, but there's a lot of times of Philly dominating the Embiid minutes and getting killed without him (e.g, the Toronto series). With how poos this draft is, I wouldn't really be opposed to using a pick on a big if we get the Toronto pick.
    We need the bench to hold ground, and an upgrade at back up centre for a clear game plan is one path. I think Clingan works really well in the bench construction of Centre / PG pick and roll / dribble handoffs, with surrounding shooters, and he's a fantastic defensive prospect. There are other ways to get that type of player (sign Hartenstein / Claxton, trade for Kessler), and other roster constructions (e.g, get DaRon Holmes in the early 2nd and play two bigs so you have better help with Collins hedging).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm okay with edey if he drops to the 2nd round (unlikely).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I don't like Edey. In a previous post I mentioned Clingan and Filipowski. I would take Edey in Rd 2 if my other pet cats were gone, but not really interested in Gheorghe Muresan in 2024.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And Boban was the best center in Europe, a much better compe ion than college basketball.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who would fit better with Wembles?
    Neither. LeBron said it best in his latest podcast with Re . NCAA basketball is a thing of the past, the NBA doesn't play like that anymore at all.
    These two are old school type centers, they're never gonna be All-Star caliber players, more like Boban. That's why Edey is currently projected 35th in the draft.
    Maybe Clingan will translate better, but what he would bring to the Spurs isn't worth the price he'd command.

If you watched last night's game and didn't realize the huge gap between these two and Victor, and why Victor is worth so much more, then I can't help you

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How does this thread differ from the likely offseason scenarios thread or the free agent signings thread? Seems like we have multiple threads on the same topic or just slight variations. And no, I am not a serial complainer about people starting bad threads, normally.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neither. LeBron said it best in his latest podcast with Re . NCAA basketball is a thing of the past, the NBA doesn't play like that anymore at all.
    These two are old school type centers, they're never gonna be All-Star caliber players, more like Boban. That's why Edey is currently projected 35th in the draft.
    Maybe Clingan will translate better, but what he would bring to the Spurs isn't worth the price he'd command.

If you watched last night's game and didn't realize the huge gap between these two and Victor, and why Victor is worth so much more, then I can't help you
    There is a point where your fingers should just stop typing, and your post lands with a thud upon the implication that anyone was comparing either of these two Cs to Wemby.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "How does this thread differ from the likely offseason scenarios thread or the free agent signings thread? Seems like we have multiple threads on the same topic or just slight variations. And no, I am not a serial complainer about people starting bad threads, normally."

Haha, revenge is a dish best served cold. Better in life not to hold grudges, though. If that was your thread, the waiting for who, that was very not different, but a specific thread is different. Now you now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A team like Philly, NY, or Boston will Take Edey or Clingan simply as insurance just in case their center goes down or is resting. which happens a lot. Best case scenario is they become skilled backups who play spot minutes, or are backups to the backup centers. Even with their old school game, they will be 1st round picks, I have no doubt. They both elevated their game in this tournament and that is enough to convince some GM to select them. The question now becomes, are either of these two guys better than our current backup center ? The answer for some team will be yes.

Thread Information