Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are other examples of teams rushing a rebuild only to end up trapped in mediocrity yet there’s a bunch of people acting like emotional bussies cause the Spurs won’t do the same thing. I think there’s some people on here that still suffer from Kawhi PTSD. It’s got to the point now where some people on here are paranoid that an international player going into his second year is going to want out because his isn’t rushing to be a play in team. It’s best to see how their plan actually unfolds before we have a meltdown.
    agreed
    Kiwi wanted to bolt to his hometown
    Wemby is not going back to play in Europe lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So we're assuming Windy is plugged into the Spurs FO now?

I mean we all knew they probably wouldn't do anything big because that's never been their MO. Windy isn't making any ground shattering predictions here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I mean we all knew they probably wouldn't do anything big because that's never been their MO. Windy isn't making any ground shattering predictions here
    I don't think Windy is a FO mouthpiece but I wouldn't dismiss him either. I think he's definitely close-ish with Wemby's camp who should be pretty plugged into what the FO is thinking in the near-term tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Exactly. This is like saying "there may be some wind tomorrow" and knowing that there is a 98% chance you'll be right regardless of any "sources"

I know people want the Spurs to suddenly be relevant and successful now that we have Wemby, but I've been saying all along it was still gonna be a 2-3 year project even AFTER we got the #1 pick.

And for anyone who wants to complain about that, some teams spend 2-3 years tanking and NEVER get a first round pick or generational player, so imagine that.
    Last edited by Dex; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:23 PM.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    spurs arent going to show their hand regardless. they probably wont do anything big because they have never been that kind of franchise, but even if they were planning on it, they're not going to tell Windhorst "we're looking to trade for an allstar this offseason." no reason to advertise their plans

I’M A DAMN SPUR!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could we get a history of this?
    I just don't recall any modern era and more pointedly recent era (2010 - onward) teams trading away 123 for later multiple picks.
    For an absolute find (Flagg?), don't see any current NBA team trading down.
    Maybe if they can swing it in the 5-15 range. 3D chess is a Leonard ppl think is good but only SAS know is an actual Leonard.
    I do agree though that this is typical spurs PR talk from last 30 years, they’ve never been that kind of franchise, ain’t telling Windbag anything anyway, etc. Feels like they’re stating the obvious and my expectations haven’t changed since this report came out (imho report means nothing.) Larger conversation is absolutely worth having though. Thanks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe if they can swing it in the 5-15 range. 3D chess is a Leonard ppl think is good but only SAS know is an actual Leonard.
    I do agree though that this is typical spurs PR talk from last 30 years, they’ve never been that kind of franchise, ain’t telling Windbag anything anyway, etc. Feels like they’re stating the obvious and my expectations haven’t changed since this report came out (imho report means nothing.) Larger conversation is absolutely worth having though. Thanks
    A Leonard - Haliburton find would be an absolute score. Without having to trade up? Huge icing on huge cake.
    A Jokic Jr find would be heavenly. That would be Duncan / Wemby level luck required.

I think the board is in more or less consensus to not do a risky maybe - maybe not 1st Round pick. And I'm not a Primo hater, as badly as that turned out. I ascribe part of that to the phony *culture* bull fasad that Spurs claimed to possess, but in reality they really had it until...... it died with Timmy Duncans exit.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Windy is a FO mouthpiece but I wouldn't dismiss him either. I think he's definitely close-ish with Wemby's camp who should be pretty plugged into what the FO is thinking in the near-term tbh.
    Yep

+ He's spent a lot of time betweem Austin and SA recently and even seemed to have made one of his podcasts from the Spurs arena (iircc after the Knicks game). He was selling SA's developpment and potential etc

It's just an impression of course, but he clearly has been talking around the organisation recently

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    exactly what I expect from this dumbass FO. They think some of Pop's team dinners and videos of penguins cuddling will improve the team somehow.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kinda disappointed in KJ and Vassell to be honest. Got the bag, Wemby is taking lots of attention off of them... didn't seem like they took the next step this season.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still weird to me they didn't just say focus on the draft in a general sense. Or other things they didn't say: find talent in 24 draft. Sounds like more long view general statement that is reasonable but not a smart answer if you give a about fans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still weird to me they didn't just say focus on the draft in a general sense. Or other things they didn't say: find talent in 24 draft. Sounds like more long view general statement that is reasonable but not a smart answer if you give a about fans.
    Keep in mind that this is Windy’s interpretation of what they’ll do, but the Spurs run a tight ship, so he’s probably just spitballing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They'll find a couple of decent vets who can compliment Wemby and the system they're trying to implement, keep developing the guys that will be here longterm, and draft some guys they think will fit in the future.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Easy, Karen. Don’t go shooting at any school buses, ok? Just because I rape small toddlers doesn’t mean I can’t be a sports fan.
    I recommend you turn yourself in. ing rapey pedo.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'd say it's a fair prediction just from a money standpoint. It will piss off a lot of people (again) but this could be another year of spending just enough to maximize profits for the owners before they enter a spending cycle.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kinda disappointed in KJ and Vassell to be honest. Got the bag, Wemby is taking lots of attention off of them... didn't seem like they took the next step this season.
    Gotta think the Spurs will try to move Keldon this summer while he still has some trade value given how terrible a fit he has looked with Victor.

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby will sign with the lakers at this rate

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby will sign with the lakers at this rate
    Next week at the latest.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that the big thing is that they're focused on building towards a le team, not just being good next year. Sure, if you can trade for Luka, you do it now, but there is a difference between A+ level creators who offer neutral D (Luka is slow, not good defending guards, but he's a huge Mofo so he helps with rebounding and is less susceptible to switching) and A level creators that are big negatives on D.

I think the other thing with a true creator partner is balancing on ball skill and off ball - you don't want to limit Wemby to just being a pick setting big - you want to let him be the dribbler, run inverter 5-1 screens, and space around him, as setting picks is one of his most significant weaknesses.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Waiting another year makes no sense at all unless they are willing to throw away another season and hope for the best. The Spurs have always been y and maybe its just all about the $$$.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that the big thing is that they're focused on building towards a le team, not just being good next year. Sure, if you can trade for Luka, you do it now, but there is a difference between A+ level creators who offer neutral D (Luka is slow, not good defending guards, but he's a huge Mofo so he helps with rebounding and is less susceptible to switching) and A level creators that are big negatives on D.

I think the other thing with a true creator partner is balancing on ball skill and off ball - you don't want to limit Wemby to just being a pick setting big - you want to let him be the dribbler, run inverter 5-1 screens, and space around him, as setting picks is one of his most significant weaknesses.
    being on a good team where the games have stakes and you regularly find yourself in games going down to the wire, playoff type atmospheres... is all very important for player and team development. you hear all the time how the good teams just know how to win, how they always separate at the ends of games. you're not going to get that experience by just being a very bad team over and over again and then suddenly flipping the switch to become a contender

I’M A DAMN SPUR!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Woj Spurs talk I listen to. Same for any team from him
    Windhorst Lebron talk I listen to. He is trying to branch out, but do the three ABA teams trust him? Dude does not have his finger on the pulse of the Central Time Zone. I think he’s trying, I wish him luck.
    FOs trust Woj with sensitive information, doesn’t to divulge to rivals and and respectfully on time with the breaking news. Protects sources - a lot goes into it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They won't tank again. They'll improve to a play-in/close-to-play-in team at least, at the rate Wemby is growing. They won't really need to tank because Hawks are getting rid of either Trae or DJ or both, and they're gonna be bad so those picks will very likely convey.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs need a substantial overhaul this summer. Out of the current roster, I feel the following are players worthy of an NBA rotation slot

Wemby
    Vassel
    Sochan
    Keldon
    Tre

Cedi too, and i wouldn't be upset if we brought him back at something like the min but I suspect he'll command more.

Collins is unlikely to be traded and will likely be back, and I really doubt they are going to cut bait on Branhan or Wesley (although I think they should on both)

They should absolutely move on from Champagne, Bassey, and Barlow. All three have shown signs, but we don't have time for that. Cissoko too, honestly, but he's got some guaranteed money. Mamu I might bring back for the right amount but would not be opposed to moving on from him either.

So

Wemby/Collins
    Sochan/
    Vassel/Keldon
    Branham
    Tre/Wesley

1-2 FRP

So 9-10 players

We need to fill the remaining roster slots with actual NBA rotation level contributors. They also should not pick up options on Branham or Wesley so they can move on in the near future as well given the load of draft picks me have. This obviously changes in the event of a trade, but we cant' have a roster full of these fringe NBA guys that sometimes when given minutes in low pressure bad team situations show a glimer. Its gotta be over for that.

Thread Information