Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's really strange that Mamu has only gotten minutes so late in the campaign. He seems like a natural fit next to Wemby, his time on the court has been outstanding

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mamu not playing all season is an absolute crime of a coaching decision. Clear, indisputable evidence Pop laid a ing egg this season, and no, it was NOT on purpose/tanking. This draft ing sucks so even if it was on purpose (100% was not, as evidenced by our end of season play), still stupid. Not the same level of stakes at all of course, but reminds me of early Splitter being glued to the bench or even George Hill though he got his chance since we made the playoffs his rookie year. It's just Pop not utilizing the roster correctly.

Don't even get me started on Tre being the backup to ing Branham. Spurs lost 18 straight with the re ed starts/rotation. Another Pop gem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d like to see if they can trade Johnson for some guard held and then Mamu can play those KJ minutes of the bench. KJ is a better player but for this system and the way the Spurs play Mamu is a better option.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lets be honest , Tre and Mamu are both backup level players who can rise to the occasion when needed. That's a good thing. What we have are backups who rise very seldomly if at all. Wesley has some defensive chops but not a whole lot else. Branham shoots well sometimes, but more often than not he doesn't, plus he's really bad defensively. Lets start by replacing those two. Their skillsets shouldn't be that hard to replace. Trade them both for a second round pick and call it a good day. (neither is more than an add on to a bigger trade)

What we really need to do is replace some of our 2nd and 3rd team bench so that the team overall plays better when the starters rest or are injured. Its the next man up mentality that helped us win the game against Denver and is what could help us win more games next season. In this weak draft I really don't see too many starting level players, but a number of players that could easily replace some of our weaker bench players. Lets see who we can draft to help us out for that purpose and see what starting level player we can draft in the 25 draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    +1

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Sounds like some folks are happy to resume the same experiment next season.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Mamu is a keeper as a Matt Bonner type bench guy (but better). Tre I could take or leave, I like him but I don't know that he'll ever be good enough to be a starting PG on a championship caliber team, and I think you need a different skill set for your backup PG. (Better shot creation, more speed, etc)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No matter what, in the grand scheme of things, we have to understand 4/5 of the current roster won't be there when/if spurs contend and spurs will dramatically change the current roster the next 2 years.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both Mamu and Tre are back ups on their best days.
    I never said they were starters. They are quality bench players that every championship team needs. They're good depth players and we shouldn't let them go.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre is not an NBA PG + he's gotten worse at passing the ball

I get you're all so sentimental so keep him for the ambiance and the bench

But keep him away from Wemby
    I'm sure you're the type that no matter who we get, you'll find a negative about them. I think you're more sentimental than anything. It's basketball. You can't have a team full of all-stars. Tre is a good bench player and that's more than deserving of him having a roster spot.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like some folks are happy to resume the same experiment next season.
    What a couple of one and two point wins can do.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never said they were starters. They are quality bench players that every championship team needs. They're good depth players and we shouldn't let them go.
    Someone has to go in the next couple of years. Spurs are bringing in a few first round picks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure you're the type that no matter who we get, you'll find a negative about them. I think you're more sentimental than anything. It's basketball. You can't have a team full of all-stars. Tre is a good bench player and that's more than deserving of him having a roster spot.
    So your main argument is guessing who I am and how I feel? You're one of the smart ones, aren't you?

I don't care about allstars, I'm not even in the Trae lobby, I'm into players that don't have liabilities that can't be worked on

But relax, Tre is still going to be here next season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone has to go in the next couple of years. Spurs are bringing in a few first round picks.
    Hopefully Blake and Branham are gone, they're too much like Lonnie. Graham is probably gone, depending if they bring in a real PG. Cedi might not get resigned and Keldon+others could be a Hawk.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mamu should definitely stay, he can be a solid utility forward.

Tre's situation is a bit more complicated, if you ask me.
    He's a solid backup. But that's about it...if we're to actually compete and get into the playoff picture.
    Any star point guard torches him and he's not a good shooter. Almost all of his threes are corner 3s, not good enough for a starting point guard in 2024.

If Tre's role as a backup is set, we can't really draft a point guard.
    None of the prospects are even close to being ready to start in the NBA, they'll have to be slowly introducted off the bench.
    But then Tre has to start and we're back to square one.

Imo, this team simply must get a floor general if we're to compete.
    I'm not against Trae if the price is fair, getting a good veteran would be ideal. I'm personally hoping for Celtics to fail and then Derrick becomes available.
    Derrick with Tre or rookie as a backup would be good enough.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre Jones is under contract next season. He isn't going anywhere unless the Spurs trade him.

Mamu will be a RFA. The Spurs could make a pre-emptive offer or wait to match. It will depend on the price.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you

I'm wondering what ppl are watching or what matters for them

I can't stand Tre and his useless play
    Tre is a 3rd string pg. People get excited because he is one of the few players that doesn’t all over himself for full games.

Too small. Has a target on his back defensively. Suspect shooter teams are happy to help off of and leave open. Still can’t get the ball to Victor at the right time or spots.

But he is going to be one of those culture guys we get stuck with just because.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So your main argument is guessing who I am and how I feel? You're one of the smart ones, aren't you?

I don't care about allstars, I'm not even in the Trae lobby, I'm into players that don't have liabilities that can't be worked on

But relax, Tre is still going to be here next season
    I'm definitely one of the smart ones. I highly agree with you there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They were clearly going to let Mamukelashvili walk, but he's given them pause with his recent play. Given the dearth of basketball IQ, strength and depth at the four on this roster and how cheap he'll be to retain, letting him walk makes no sense.

Jones, as I've long said isn't going anywhere barring the unlikely event where they acquire a star or maybe top starter small guard.

If Tre's role as a backup is set, we can't really draft a point guard.
    None of the prospects are even close to being ready to start in the NBA, they'll have to be slowly introducted off the bench.
    But then Tre has to start and we're back to square one.
    They clearly long preferred the starting lead guard to be a big combo guard, who can at least not be a target defensively (who doesn't?), which has probably been exacerbated with an unprecedented player like Wembanyama. The trickle down effect is it would pave the way for Jones to be the 6th man.
    Last edited by TD 21; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:03 PM.

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully Blake and Branham are gone, they're too much like Lonnie. Graham is probably gone, depending if they bring in a real PG. Cedi might not get resigned and Keldon+others could be a Hawk.
    Lonnie showed infinitely more potential than either Wesley or Branham

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre needs to be part of a trade package; mamu can stay.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm definitely one of the smart ones. I highly agree with you there.
    You're clearly smart enough to understand sarcasm!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre is a 3rd string pg. People get excited because he is one of the few players that doesn’t all over himself for full games.

Too small. Has a target on his back defensively. Suspect shooter teams are happy to help off of and leave open. Still can’t get the ball to Victor at the right time or spots.

But he is going to be one of those culture guys we get stuck with just because.

Perfectly put.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't understand the talk about tre, he's on contract and he's a really good back up imo. We can disagree on this point but that's not the debate.

About Mamu it's different, he was a clear goner a few weeks ago but he's a real basketball player, despite some physical limitations so he could have his place with the team.

But the Spurs will have to cut/don't ressign some players and make some choices : barlow is gone imo so is graham, then you have mamu, osman, bassey and maybe wesley.

IMO the others are not in danger except if there's some trades : Wemby, Vassell, Sochan, Jones, Johnson, Champagnie, Branham, Collins, Cissoko, that's 9 players and if you count on like 2 rookies you only have four roster spots left.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't understand the talk about tre, he's on contract and he's a really good back up imo. We can disagree on this point but that's not the debate.

About Mamu it's different, he was a clear goner a few weeks ago but he's a real basketball player, despite some physical limitations so he could have his place with the team.

But the Spurs will have to cut/don't ressign some players and make some choices : barlow is gone imo so is graham, then you have mamu, osman, bassey and maybe wesley.

IMO the others are not in danger except if there's some trades : Wemby, Vassell, Sochan, Jones, Johnson, Champagnie, Branham, Collins, Cissoko, that's 9 players and if you count on like 2 rookies you only have four roster spots left.
    tre jones is average passing poor shooting pg.Wemby deserves a better pg then him.Getting a better pg will help wemby so much.At least a pg
    who can shoot.I expect wemby to get doubled team in the future,Gonna need a pg who can shoot and move off the ball to help wemby out
    when wemby does get doubled team.

Thread Information