San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can we just get a list of the people who cheered the Primo and Samanic picks so I can know who to ignore?
    These takes are always so stupid.

Samanic was a pretty good pick. If he had anything but his at ude, he could have become at least a decent player.

Primo pick should have been Sengun. Regardless, you're making a mental error -- a very obvious, kind of kindergarten-level one -- of not realizing his development was torpedoed by his behavior. Like Samanic there's no way of knowing what actual progress would have been.

You're welcome.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Risacher -- always seemed overvalued to me, only projecting as a good 3 & D player. That's not what I want to spend a top pick on. He has good speed and seems to hustle, but doesn't look like the 6'10" he's listed and is kind of a mess everywhere on offense. Now that his shooting has returned to normal? I'd look at him late lottery, but not top of the draft.

Topic -- hard to project at all. His league is so slow and unimpressive. He spams getting to the rim, which is great. He makes good reads. But isn't this what Tre Jones can do? Are we using a top draft pick to not really upgrade the spot? Jones plays better defense, his shot is coming around, he does the same exact things otherwise, and he costs nothing. You'd have to believe Topic can really control games in the future with more than straight line drives and can be effective off-ball. Not sure he can. I still think he'll draw a lot of attention from the FO though.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say draft SFs and figure out PG after that.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Team was 11-16 post ASG. Despite end of season statistical noise, still solid improvement. 30-33 wins next season is in the range of possibilities. If they do get a PG, who has the highest upside, Castle, Collier? Hard to say.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i believe enough in sheppard's defense to think he can be a net positive on that end. and i think he can do enough on offense to be a lead guard, especially since wemby has gotten more and more comfortable handling the ball and having the offense flow through him (assist numbers at the end of the season)

but the offensive skill gap between him and dillingham is VERY noticeable. even w/ the 3 point shooting. dillingham gets his shots off more easily, different angles, off movement, and generally with more volume, while still shooting a very high %

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Ariel. Was planning to post these when the site finally settled down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I challenge everyone to find time to watch these. Being able to see both highlights and lowlights will bring enhanced insights.

so what does your draft board look like? I don't really have the time to watch all of this film, just curious who you'd like us to pick. The playing field seems very even with every player having some kind of major flaw.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Worst the Spurs can draft is 9th though I think the odds are pretty low of that. When you look 1-5 or 6-10 the tiers don’t arguably change much due to a broad lack of consensus in the rankings.

Risacher I thought was 6-8 and recently saw an article hyping him as the possible #1 overall pick and that he was 6-10 did he grow a bit? If I can find the article again will post the link.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fwiw, the host of Locked on UConn was a guest on Locked on Blazers and claimed Castle's upside potential is SGA. I don't typically trust college focused media people to have a firm grasp of the NBA game, but I thought it was interesting. I still haven't any of his tape.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Asking people to watch hourslong film sessions is the basketball equivalent of asking people to read a book. And I seriously doubt most people in this forum nowadays can be bothered to do that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Asking people to watch hourslong film sessions is the basketball equivalent of asking people to read a book. And I seriously doubt most people in this forum nowadays can be bothered to do that.
    Finding a couple good apples among many bad ones makes it all worth it, IMO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Worst the Spurs can draft is 9th though I think the odds are pretty low of that. When you look 1-5 or 6-10 the tiers don’t arguably change much due to a broad lack of consensus in the rankings.

Risacher I thought was 6-8 and recently saw an article hyping him as the possible #1 overall pick and that he was 6-10 did he grow a bit? If I can find the article again will post the link.
    He's 2.07m (6'8) without shoes. That's 6'9-6'10 in NBA size (and what he should be listed at in the combine).

"Interesting" ITV he gave to ESPN after he officially declared for the draft. He's remaining my guy.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...nter-nba-draft

Projected No. 1 pick Zaccharie Risacher to enter NBA draft

Jonathan Givony, ESPN
    Apr 22, 2024, 09:29 AM ET

Zaccharie Risacher, the projected No. 1 pick, has submitted paperwork to the league office making him eligible for the 2024 NBA draft, he told ESPN on Monday.

"It's always been my dream to get to the best league in the world," Risacher told ESPN. "I've been putting the work in for this since I was a kid. JL Bourg has given me an incredible opportunity to showcase what I can do. It's been the perfect place to start my young career. I'm really grateful to have the opportunity to play for this organization."

Risacher, 19, is in the midst of a productive season in France, as his JL Bourg team is in third place in Pro A and reached the EuroCup Finals. He is averaging 10.4 points and 3.4 rebounds in 23 minutes per game, shooting 39% for 3.

"I'm proud of being part of this journey with my teammates and what we accomplished in the EuroCup. We definitely want to do something special the rest of the season. It's been a long season and long process with a lot of ups and downs."

Since August, Risacher has played in over 60 games across several compe ions, more than any other player in this draft class, with possibly two more months still in store as the French playoffs kick off in mid-May.

"I'm feeling good physically," Risacher said. "I always make sure my body feels right for playing games at the highest level. There were some moments in the season where I felt a little more tired due to the number of games, which sometimes include two or three per week, with difficult travel. And that doesn't include the additional development work I'm doing at the same time. That is complicated for a young body. But that's never been an excuse. It's just a long season."

The son of former Olympian and EuroLeague player Stephane Risacher, Zaccharie was identified as possibly the top international prospect in his age group from an early stage. He represented France at the FIBA level at the under-16, U17 and U19 levels and made his senior national team debut this past February at the age of 18.

Risacher has taken his game to another level this season playing against some of the highest level compe ion in international basketball. At 6-foot-10, he shows deep range and dynamic shot-making prowess running off screens and pulling up off the dribble from beyond the arc. He is often tasked with defending the other team's best player, alternating between point guards and power forwards in his team's switching schemes. He plays a mistake-free, intelligent style with outstanding instincts on both ends of the floor, making him an easy player to fit into virtually any NBA team's roster with his versatility, but still has significant potential to grow into with his developing frame and youthful demeanor.

"There are a lot of things I can bring an NBA team," Risacher said. "First of all -- my No. 1 strength is my shooting. Then my defensive ability after that. And lastly, my ability to do what's asked of me, using my versatility -- I can rebound, handle the ball if needed, finish above the rim, pass the ball. Whatever you ask me to do, I will do it and do it well."

Risacher, who says he grew up idolizing Kevin Durant and Stephen Curry, said he's not as concerned about what pick he's drafted with as much as finding the right fit for his NBA career.

"My goal at the beginning of the season was to get drafted as high as possible, like any compe or. But I won't be angry or disappointed if I'm not No. 1 or No. 2. I want to be the best, but I also want to achieve my dreams. I know the NBA draft is not the end, it's just the beginning. That's why I pay less attention to being the highest pick. "

The NBA draft will be held in New York on June 26 and 27. The first round will be conducted at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, followed by the second round the next day at ESPN's studio in lower Manhattan.
    Last edited by JPB; 1 Week Ago at 07:20 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Salaun amazing athleticism/NBA body and 3pts shooting are growing in me tbh

Like Cody Williams, he's far from ready but both have massive upside (with Castle as well) to me

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so what does your draft board look like? I don't really have the time to watch all of this film, just curious who you'd like us to pick. The playing field seems very even with every player having some kind of major flaw.
    Every successful team has three high volume (capable) scorers.

We already have two who we know will be having a lot of shot attempts next year in Wemby and Vassell.

We’ve been saying all year that we want Vassell to take more of a backseat on ball handling opportunities while making sure the ball still gets to him to take advantage of his shooting prowess.

Both of those points mean our biggest need is a player with:
    1) Natural ball handling skills
    2) Decent potential on offense (this doesn’t mean strictly shooting)
    3) Some passing ability

Players who meet this criteria, IMO:
    -Reed Sheppard
    -Dillingham
    -Castle
    -Buzelis
    -Collier

Players who do not:
    -Sarr - There is no consistent shooting mechanic to be found. Every jumpshot of his is wildly different. He won’t be spacing the floor for Wemby and will only get in his way.
    -Risacher - His offensive ability inside the 3-pt line is no better than Sochan's. His touch around the rim is awkward and he throws up circus shots that have no chance of going in. This is like when people thought Jabari Smith would become a Kevin Durant-lite based on his height and shooting ability alone and forgot that offense is more than those two. Like Jabari, Risacher has poor speed with the ball and doesn’t get by anyone. This hampers his offense significantly.
    -Cody Williams - There are 10 college basketball players on the floor and usually you can tell which 1 or 2 are going to be draft prospects. Cody looks like just another college basketball player on the floor.
    -Salaun - Oh man. After watching this guy’s film, he has no basketball feel at all. Honestly looks like a player who would spend ten years in the g-league.

There are others I haven’t watched enough of but that’s my takeaway so far.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's making the good point that if one does not want to do the hours (or even minutes) of sessions then don't have an uninformed take on a potential.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you can't shoot as a guard/wing, you're useless in today's NBA, specially as an undersized player. Colleges defenses are not NBA or ABA league defenses...

Long, versatile players (both on offense and defense) who can shoot (or can learn to) is what every team is first looking for, reason why Miller went above Scoot. Spurs don't have that player and they are are hard to get, specially by trade.

Risacher is the closest player to that in that possibly meh draft (time will tell). there's never any guarantees but his first great part of the season should be seen as his potential, and that's what drafts are all about... If spurs can build on that, he's the best possible pick if you ask me. I do'nt see any other guy whose potential is worth passing on Risacher's potential which a the minimum gives you length and defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's making the good point that if one does not want to do the hours (or even minutes) of sessions then don't have an uninformed take on a potential.
    Sorry but it's not those 2 hour, edited vids, out of context, level of compe ion and opponents who will really give an informed opinion about a prospect. That would be too simple, and scouts would be all fired... Only a full season, watching live full games, several directly at the arenas, aware of the quality of the compe ion and opponents, what the player is asked to do by his coach, his place on the team's hierarchy (specailly in pro teams with high paid, older vets...) will somehow give an opinion that might ultimately not even be on point regarding his fit in the NBA.
    Last edited by JPB; 1 Week Ago at 10:18 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry but it's not those 2 hour, edited vids, out of context, level of compe ion and opponents who will really give an informed opinion about a prospect. That would be too simple, and scouts would be all fired... Only a full season, watching live full games, several directly at the arenas will somehow give an opinion that might ultimately not even be on point regarding his fit in the NBA.
    Ok i guess none of us can give an opinion then.

This vids are not all inclusive but certainly are helpful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry but it's not those 2 hour, edited vids, out of context, level of compe ion and opponents who will really give an informed opinion about a prospect. That would be too simple, and scouts would be all fired... Only a full season, watching live full games, several directly at the arenas will somehow give an opinion that might ultimately not even be on point regarding his fit in the NBA.
    Just say that it’s more effort than you’re willing to put in and prefer to keep yapping about players who are frequently hyped up in articles written by scouts who are way off year in and year out. It’s stupid to criticize people who try to educate themselves about players so they could have their own personalized view instead of the echo chamber you’d find with other people who all they go by is what other folks say. I don’t know why you’re putting down people who want to invest time in this. Just say you’re lazy and that’s it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can, and that's the game every year, plus those vids have the merit of making you more familar with those prospects, but yeah let's be honest, we are all just pretending here, and are basically routing for players we like more than anything but didn't know or never thoroughly watched 3 months ago for most of them...

Checking draft threads from previous years, and how their prospects are perceived retrospectively can be quite funny There's always a natural tendency to overrrate these kids, even this year, the more the draft approaches. And don't get me wrong, that's the same for pundits and media.
    Last edited by JPB; 1 Week Ago at 10:42 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every successful team has three high volume (capable) scorers.

We already have two who we know will be having a lot of shot attempts next year in Wemby and Vassell.

We’ve been saying all year that we want Vassell to take more of a backseat on ball handling opportunities while making sure the ball still gets to him to take advantage of his shooting prowess.

Both of those points mean our biggest need is a player with:
    1) Natural ball handling skills
    2) Decent potential on offense (this doesn’t mean strictly shooting)
    3) Some passing ability

Players who meet this criteria, IMO:
    -Reed Sheppard
    -Dillingham
    -Castle
    -Buzelis
    -Collier

Players who do not:
    -Sarr - There is no consistent shooting mechanic to be found. Every jumpshot of his is wildly different. He won’t be spacing the floor for Wemby and will only get in his way.
    -Risacher - His offensive ability inside the 3-pt line is no better than Sochan's. His touch around the rim is awkward and he throws up circus shots that have no chance of going in. This is like when people thought Jabari Smith would become a Kevin Durant-lite based on his height and shooting ability alone and forgot that offense is more than those two. Like Jabari, Risacher has poor speed with the ball and doesn’t get by anyone. This hampers his offense significantly.
    -Cody Williams - There are 10 college basketball players on the floor and usually you can tell which 1 or 2 are going to be draft prospects. Cody looks like just another college basketball player on the floor.
    -Salaun - Oh man. After watching this guy’s film, he has no basketball feel at all. Honestly looks like a player who would spend ten years in the g-league.

There are others I haven’t watched enough of but that’s my takeaway so far.
    Lots of words for a z-league scout watching hightlights.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well Dejounte’s top 5 seems like will have a couple players that will drop into the 6-9 range so we should be sitting pretty. If we had the 1 or 2 and the 7, we could probably get one of those while also rolling the dice on a more developmental “project” such as a Sarr that if it paid off would potentially create the best twin towers since Olajuwon/Sampson or Duncan/Robinson. Sarr at 7-1 can defend the rim and perimeter but is raw on offense.

Otherwise with two picks I’d be thinking one of KY guards and then Castle/Buzelis/Risacher.

If we picked all the way back to 9, the Knecht option remains as a player many regard as a “can’t miss” sharpshooter prospect, which if true taking him at 9 when he projects more like 13 would not be terrible reach by any stretch IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This vids are not all inclusive but certainly are helpful.
    This. No one here is trying to get hired in place of Spurs' scouting, we're a bunch of Spurs fans from all over trying to get a better reading on the possible picks. If we set the bar to NBA scout level then might as well not have anyone say anything since none of us has the time to watch in full and live every game of every prospect. Why on Earth would anyone take offense with an opinion on a message board is beyond me, just don't click on the thread if you can't handle the feedback.

Thread Information