ROTY: Wembanyama

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Goober won DPOY

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Predictable. Wemby robbed. You hate to see it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He most definitely got robbed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    18 voters left wemby off altogether

2 left goober off

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Minnesota top defensive team and close to no. 1 was tough to beat, narrative is strong. But many should take a hint with Gobert missing last game and his team not skipping a beat.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, it's always a good idea to base things on a one game sample size.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Minnesota has 3 other players on their team ranked in the Top-20 defensively this season. The fact that they looked absolutely dominant defensively against the defending champs last night without Gobert playing a single minute speaks volumes.

Meanwhile the Spurs drop from the 4th-ranked Defense with Wemby on the court to the 28th-ranked Defense when he’s off is insane. All while Wemby lead the league in Blocks & Stocks + Steals for a Center. Wemby most definitely robbed tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't take one ounce away from Gobert's contributions, but yes, it's very tangible proof that he has an excellent defensive team around him and at the very least it dispells the notion that he should be the recipient of the award based on team's defensive performance, which is the main argument over Wemby for a lot of voters (best defensive player on the best defensive team rhetoric).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing new.....the NBA has long screwed the Spurs out of individual awards.

Bowen was the best perimeter defender in the league for a handful of years and not 1 DPOY. Duncan is one of the greatest defensive players of all-time, not one DPOY. Not only that, but Duncan was not a unanimous ROY, even though he should have been.

not awards, but also, the Spurs never have anyone in the 3pt shooting contest, even though they have had a few players leading or in the top 3 the league in 3pt % before the all-star break.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing new.....the NBA has long screwed the Spurs out of individual awards.

Bowen was the best perimeter defender in the league for a handful of years and not 1 DPOY. Duncan is one of the greatest defensive players of all-time, not one DPOY. Not only that, but Duncan was not a unanimous ROY, even though he should have been.

not awards, but also, the Spurs never have anyone in the 3pt shooting contest, even though they have had a few players leading or in the top 3 the league in 3pt % before the all-star break.
    I thin belineli participated in 3pt contest in 2014 and 2015

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assuming this is correct, let's handle this Timmy Duncan style and who gives a F what moron sport writers vote.

The winner is selected by a panel of 124 sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada, each of whom casts a vote for first, second and third place selections. Each first-place vote is worth five points, second-place votes are worth three points, and a third-place vote is worth one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why ya'll surprise with the dpoy result? Spurs suck on defense so no way wemby win dpoy..if the spura are in top 10 defense in the league then wemby has a legitimate chance. Dont say wemby got robbed because its clearly a robbery if wemby win it. Dont worry wemby will win couple of dpoy in the future if the team starts winning and play good defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    18 voters left him off their ballots completely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thin belineli participated in 3pt contest in 2014 and 2015
    Bonner had been in it as well

and spurs were in that shooting stars compe ion a while back when they still did that. enrique won

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DPOY is always the laziest award. If someone's won it two or three times, they're basically grandfathered into another one or two when they don't deserve it. Ben Wallace, Dwight Howard, Dikembe Mutumbo, and now Rudy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Minnesota has 3 other players on their team ranked in the Top-20 defensively this season. The fact that they looked absolutely dominant defensively against the defending champs last night without Gobert playing a single minute speaks volumes.

Meanwhile the Spurs drop from the 4th-ranked Defense with Wemby on the court to the 28th-ranked Defense when he’s off is insane. All while Wemby lead the league in Blocks & Stocks + Steals for a Center. Wemby most definitely robbed tbh.
    So he should be penalized for being surrounded by superior personnel? The defending champs are in shambles and banged up and it was still one game.

Doesn't take one ounce away from Gobert's contributions, but yes, it's very tangible proof that he has an excellent defensive team around him and at the very least it dispells the notion that he should be the recipient of the award based on team's defensive performance, which is the main argument over Wemby for a lot of voters (best defensive player on the best defensive team rhetoric).
    Wembanyama definitely had a case despite fogies/agenda driven fools pretending otherwise, but I wouldn't say he was robbed either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wembanyama definitely had a case despite fogies/agenda driven fools pretending otherwise, but I wouldn't say he was robbed either.
    Robbed is too strong a word, my problem is with the "best defensive player on the best defensive team" narrative. It doesn't hold water, and it's dishonest to try and censor debate because of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A whole season of data indicates that Wemby was way more impactful than Gobert on the defensive side of the ball, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well deserved tbqh

Thread Information