What about bringing back Demar?

Starting 5 next season would be:

Topic/Dillingham
    Demar
    Vassell
    Sochan
    Wemby
    topic/demar/sochan in the starting lineup i might just nacho varga myself

derozan is obviously a good player but he doesnt add shooting and doesnt add defense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    topic/demar/sochan in the starting lineup i might just nacho varga myself

derozan is obviously a good player but he doesnt add shooting and doesnt add defense
    No worries wemby can protect the paint

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What about bringing back Demar?

Starting 5 next season would be:

Topic/Dillingham
    Demar
    Vassell
    Sochan
    Wemby
    Congratulations on making one of the NBA's worst defensive teams even lousier.

Dilly + Demar + Vassell = defensive suicide. Vassell cannot stay in front of his man on any given possession. Seen four years of that. We already know it's the same with Demar, and he's even older now. Dilly doesn't even pretend to play defense. Sochan and VW cannot make up for that level of incompetence.

Trade Vassell + 2024 lottery pick to move up in the draft, if we don't get the #1. Go all in on Alexandre Sarr. Put him on the floor with Sochan and Wembanyama and then we're building a core vs. developing a farm system of lottery dwellers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs starters in the fall of 2025:

Derrick White (UFA signing, summer 2025)
    Alexandre Sarr (if Spurs don't land the #1 via lottery, trade their lottery pick + Vassell to go get it)
    Jeremy Sochan (keep developing him)
    Stephon Castle (fates are kind again, and we get Toronto's pick)
    Victor Wembanyama (nuff said)

Ideal 2024 off-season is acquiring Sarr and Castle -- and not squandering draft capital / mega cap space on point guards that can't play defense. Solution for a championship point guard doesn't happen in the 2024 draft. It happens in next year's free agency.
    Wemby might have to average 40ppg just for us to score 90ppg with this lineup. Where's the shooting?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Portis and Middle combine for 58 points on 51 possessions to win without Giannis. Snagging both, getting an additional first and moving Collins money for less than half of what it'd take to get Young, Mitc or Markkanen still feels like a great deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell is not a bad defender per se. He's just clearly a guy who has to be on a team that's already good defensively. It's the same with DJM. The team's lack of a POA defender is hurting them. Sochan looks like he'll eventually be able to guard 97 percent of the PG-PF players in the league, but championships are won against that 3 percent.

I think Vassell and Dillingham or Vassell and Murray could only work in the context of finding that unicorn defensive wing who can combined with Wemby to make the team a stout defense. Then they can do their part disrupting. DeRozan/Vassell can work somewhat with Jones for a couple of years, but you'd want a sturdier PG who can potential guard 1-3. Castle is the choice there, but I still think Collier has a legit chance to be that kind of guy. I think Dillingham/Vassel/DeRozan is something you do if the goal next year is to just get the offense on track and not to make a serious playoff run. That starting five has a lot of play-making potential, but I don't think sharing the ball would be a huge problem. It's just hard to see them winning much with such a lopsided defense. Starting Jones might fix that, but it's still not a great defense, and you miss out on some offensive explosion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont get the idea of getting sarr. We dont need him cause we already have wemby. Dillingham and topic is the most logical pick plus 3 and D SF.

Also in today's era defense in not that important anymore unlike 2 decades ago..offense wins championship in today's NBA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Sarr is the best player, take him. He and Wemby don't have to play every minute together for it to be a good pick. They should be able to play some minutes together, but if Sarr is good, the team could always trade him as part of a package for a star later. They shouldn't be looking at the path to a championship so linearly that every move they make should have to be justified in how it fits that future roster.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Portis and Middle combine for 58 points on 51 possessions to win without Giannis. Snagging both, getting an additional first and moving Collins money for less than half of what it'd take to get Young, Mitc or Markkanen still feels like a great deal.
    Middleton is physically breaking down. Hard no on him. We'd just be left holding the bag while he a s of his former self.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So. Overpay OG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs starters in the fall of 2025:

Derrick White (UFA signing, summer 2025)
    Alexandre Sarr (if Spurs don't land the #1 via lottery, trade their lottery pick + Vassell to go get it)
    Jeremy Sochan (keep developing him)
    Stephon Castle (fates are kind again, and we get Toronto's pick)
    Victor Wembanyama (nuff said)

Ideal 2024 off-season is acquiring Sarr and Castle -- and not squandering draft capital / mega cap space on point guards that can't play defense. Solution for a championship point guard doesn't happen in the 2024 draft. It happens in next year's free agency.
    Adding two more rookies to give time to and develop, to this already awful, NBA bottom team, for Wemby to "play" with next year won't do it for alot fo poeple, starting with Vic. Who honestly wants to watch a third year of painful spurs ball, only to end up with #5 pick, next year, much less playing it when you're Victor Wembanayama.

What if Sarr and Castle are busts or just random role players? And who do you get FOR SURE in 2025 free agency?
    Last edited by JPB; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:35 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adding two more rookies to give time to and develop, to this already awful, NBA bottom team, for Wemby to "play" with next year won't do it for alot fo poeple, starting with Vic. Who honestly wants to watch a third year of painful spurs ball, only to end up with #5 pick, next year, much less playing it when you're Victor Wembanayama.

What if Sarr and Castle are busts or just random role players? And who do you get FOR SURE in 2025 free agency?
    Neither of those guys are gonna be busts, so long as they stay relatively healthy. Defensive IQ translates to the NBA, and they both have it in spades. Sarr plays like a wing and would complement VW beautifully. This isn't a Twin Towers situation. Sarr can defend like a maniac on the perimeter. He's got a solid stroke and can shoot from three, and he and VW would be murder, in high-low, and pick-and-roll. Defensively -- he'll instantly improve the whole squad playing with VW and Sochan. When you look at Sarr's measurements, you think 'center'. But when you watch his game, he plays best as a wing.

No Spurs fan wants to see another losing season, but considering that no current Spur other than Victor can create any offensive mismatch whatsoever -- we're gonna be in the Lottery again this year. It is what it is. Almost all of the guards in this draft have major deficiencies. Castle seems like the one with skillsets that translate fastest to success in the NBA, even if he's not gonna be a sniper from Day One, like everybody wants. His process, and the process of upgrading almost the entire lineup, is not gonna be over in one summer. You can try rushing the process with a desperation free agent signing, but the road to dynasty runs through making smart draft picks, and the Spurs need at least one great pick this summer. Sarr is the one. Best player in this draft and will fit with VW right away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Sarr is the best player, take him. He and Wemby don't have to play every minute together for it to be a good pick. They should be able to play some minutes together, but if Sarr is good, the team could always trade him as part of a package for a star later. They shouldn't be looking at the path to a championship so linearly that every move they make should have to be justified in how it fits that future roster.
    Yup. Second sentence is key.

As much as I think Sarr's game is big wing, rather than center, and thus will fit extremely well with VW from Day One -- VW is not gonna play 82 games next season. He's just not. I think Chinook is saying Sarr can play minutes in the interior when VW catches his breath, and this is true. But we also need young stars who can carry the team when Victor is sitting out, whether for the inevitable 8-10 games when Pop sits him down for 'management', or when he's legitimately injured. Devin chucking desperation, contested, turnaround bombs because he can't make an entry pass and can't lose his man is the extent of our "star" abilities without Victor right now. Vassell's decision-making has a lot to do with why this team is as bad as it is. Same with KJ.

Even as a rookie, Sarr's positional versatility will create terrific mismatch options with VW, and won't leave the cupboard bare when VW is out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby might have to average 40ppg just for us to score 90ppg with this lineup. Where's the shooting?
    White's shooting 40% from three for the season. And he's more than carrying his scoring weight under playoff pressure. His game would fit beautifully alongside Victor but he's not a free agent 'til summer 2025. Only one more year.

Sarr's got a solid, all-around shooting stroke and he can hit threes. The "Twin Towers" analogy is wrong. He plays like a wing. He's gonna be a star.

Sochan will continue to develop. Too much shooting improvement from last year to this year to give up on him. I believe in his development, even from long-range.

Castle's got a strong midrange game, playing alongside a big man. He hit big shots in the Final Four. He's got a solid stroke that needs some work, but he's not broken. It'll take a year to work his offense up to starter level, but his defense will translate immediately.

I think the point guard improvement that many are clamoring for doesn't happen until summer 2025. The right answer isn't in this year's Lottery. Too many small players with massive deficiencies. But if we make the right upgrades before that 'right' player arrives (probably via free agency), we'll be a contender in very short order pending good fortune, health-wise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Middleton is physically breaking down. Hard no on him. We'd just be left holding the bag while he a s of his former self.
    He's signed for another year or two. That's the same length or less than Collins. What bag are you assuming the Spurs are holding?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who honestly wants to watch a third year of painful spurs ball, only to end up with #5 pick, next year, much less playing it when you're Victor Wembanayama.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's signed for another year or two. That's the same length or less than Collins. What bag are you assuming the Spurs are holding?
    Both KM and Portis are contracted next year and both have a PO for the following. As with most things, it comes down to price (in assets we'd be giving up) and possibly agreements to have them opt in if possible could effect how much we'd be willing to give up.

From a purely basketball perspective it would be intriguing if we could add those guys and pull a starting level PG to pair with them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard no on CJ McCollum. Old, bad contract, poor defender, volume scorer who looked completely washed against OKC. The Spurs already have plenty of guys who can shoot 24% from three in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get the #1 and #7 picks in lotto
    Trade down from #1 to gain future FRP swap + lower lotto pick this year
    Draft Sheppard or Dilly, Clingan, and Bronny (2nd round)
    Sign and trade for Maxey (likely requires Kelton, Collin and 3 or 4 FRP)
    Sign LeBron

SL
    Maxey
    Vassell
    Sochan
    LeBron
    Wemby

That’s a playoff team right away and a 3&D wing away from le contention.
    Clingan gets a lot of backup center minutes
    Dilly or Sheppard get to develop as a backup role player

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both KM and Portis are contracted next year and both have a PO for the following. As with most things, it comes down to price (in assets we'd be giving up) and possibly agreements to have them opt in if possible could effect how much we'd be willing to give up.

From a purely basketball perspective it would be intriguing if we could add those guys and pull a starting level PG to pair with them.
    We're lacking a lot of things with this roster, but we got Middleton at home.

Season 4 Middleton: 18.2/3.8/4.2 on 44/39/88
    Season 4 Vassell: 19.5/3.8/4.1 on 47/37/80

Obviously numbers don't tell the whole story, not even close.
    But Devin got a big contract and Spurs should either enable him to reach his full potential or trade him away before that contract is seen as an overpay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neither of those guys are gonna be busts, so long as they stay relatively healthy. D
    We have no idea how they will fare in the NBA. Maybe not busts, but not starting material either. We also can't repeat this draft is weak and rave at all these kids.

You have around 40% chances to end up with a back up in the lottery, around 30% a starter, something like 16-17% with an all star and 10% with an end of bench guy...

Sure, the higher in the lottery the better the chances of success but again, this draft is considered weak, so those numbers probalby have to be lowered, or more exactly how high next june prospects would be drafted in your average draft (and then their expected success). For example Sarr or Risacher expected to be drafted top 3 this year certainly have a much lower probability to end up all stars than top 3 guys in most other years.

(I'll try to find the the table, pick by pick, I posted last year).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get the #1 and #7 picks in lotto
    Trade down from #1 to gain future FRP swap + lower lotto pick this year
    Draft Sheppard or Dilly, Clingan, and Bronny (2nd round)
    Sign and trade for Maxey (likely requires Kelton, Collin and 3 or 4 FRP)
    Sign LeBron

SL
    Maxey
    Vassell
    Sochan
    LeBron
    Wemby

That’s a playoff team right away and a 3&D wing away from le contention.
    Clingan gets a lot of backup center minutes
    Dilly or Sheppard get to develop as a backup role player
    Philly is not trading Maxey.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're lacking a lot of things with this roster, but we got Middleton at home.

Season 4 Middleton: 18.2/3.8/4.2 on 44/39/88
    Season 4 Vassell: 19.5/3.8/4.1 on 47/37/80

Obviously numbers don't tell the whole story, not even close.
    But Devin got a big contract and Spurs should either enable him to reach his full potential or trade him away before that contract is seen as an overpay.
    But we wouldn't be getting year 4 Middleton, we'd be getting a vet that understands the game much better. Also, this Middleton is more of a 3 now while Vassell is a 2. It's not an 'either-or' situation with those guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yep, that's why I said "a year or two". Basically, the "bag" would be paying like $12 Million more for Middleton than they're already slated to be giving Collins. I don't consider that a bad risk. Now if he's starts breaking down, and they get him to opt in and sign a big extension or give him a new big contract, that could be its own thing. But that trade wouldn't require Middleton or Portis do anything but play out his contract

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Philly is not trading Maxey.
    I'll acknowledge that it is very unlikely, but what if Maxey demands it?
    He's a Texas kid.
    How much does he like Embiid? Does he believe in their future vs Knicks and Celtics?
    Would teaming up with Wemby for the next 10 years be enticing to him?

Things happen fast in the NBA and Morey seems unafraid of making big moves when he has to.
    We have significant draft capital and salary filler.
    When we talk about using that to find Wemby a running mate THIS is the kind of brave move it will probably require.

Again, I agree that it is very unlikely, but I was asked to post my ideal offseason and this is it.

-Couchie

Thread Information