Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it was the last game v OKC, Sochan was frustrating SGA drives and getting him to dump the ball off early in possessions. I think that last game v DAL he also shined against Doncic, and the first half v Lauri he played like a madman and that matchup was about a draw. Second half v Lauri not so much.

Wemby v Joker, last matchup head to head, he also was having a major discouraging impact resulting in early dump off passes by Nikola. Finally Joker drives late and Wemby blocks a high driving shot off the glass that nobody else on this planet does. Wemby is in the Joker’s head. Who subsequently clanks the open likely game clinching jumper.

Some exciting memories I take into the off-season.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The OKC game showed Sochan all defense potential. He was also covering for Wemby being blown by on switches. Ant just can't do anything with him. At the end of the year he figured out Luka and SGA. These are the future faces of the league out west. Advance stats also back it up, as he is rated as the 3rd best perimeter iso defender in the league by Bball-index.

The TOR game where Scottie threw a tantrum. That was also peak Sochan+Wemby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do folks think is preventing Sochan from being a defensive menace on a full time basis? He has flashes, but then a lot of times isn’t all that great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do folks think is preventing Sochan from being a defensive menace on a full time basis? He has flashes, but then a lot of times isn’t all that great.
    Experience and learning your matchups tbh

even Wemby said it. He said throughout the season he’s learning more about his opponent’s moves. Something tells me that’s important if you want to be great at defense.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not good at defense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other than obviously learning about specific matchups, studying scouting repports he needs to sustain his focus a lot more.

I'd like him to read more in game adjustments, he's great a reacting but not at anticipating

For ex, like most of his teammates he's often overhelping when Wemby has the paint under control and leaves his man open.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not good at defense.
    Is this really your take?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trust me bro

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not as strong as you'd suspect from somebody his size. He's also not quick enough to guard the SGA/Morant/Jamal Murrays of the league regularly. The old man's defensive coverages against scoring guards has also been for a while now.

He's a good defender and I think he can guard wings and bigs not named Embiid/Joker. But the Spurs still need a point of attack defender. Wesley has that ceiling in theory but I just don't think he's an nba player long term tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    mediocre length/strength. solid but not exceptional lateral burst.

he actually has the same listed weight as draymond green, but green is significantly stronger on the block, when rebounding, etc, and has longer wingspan despite being a couple inches shorter.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should ask you the same thing. You actually think Sochan is a good defender? Guards go right by him like he not their and bigs overpower him like he is their little brother

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Comparing Sochan to Wemby defensively is like finding a polar bear in texas, It doesn't belong

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Comparing Sochan to Wemby defensively is like finding a polar bear in texas, It doesn't belong
    Yeah. I’m not sure why they are being linked. Not even in the same stratosphere. Sochan defense is good - compared to everyone not named Wemby on the roster. But that’s a pretty low bar.

Spurs team needs a POA and wing defender. IMO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have some pretty obvious commonalities. Hint, the jersey they wear. Caliber of who they defended. Put on your rocket scientist caps and rethink it a little harder.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Arctic Hare and Polar Bear Elite Ferocity Moments

Obvious commonalities. Both occupy Arctic regions and are mammals with white fur. Also, hare rhymes with bear.

Thread Information