Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby era of the NBA begins

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just because the hamster is back up and running, doesn't mean that every Shams/Windy soundbite needs its own thread tbh

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    we all know how NBA media works. this is basically Vic's camp putting it out there that Spurs need to be aggressive and not just sit around waiting for someone on the roster to magically turn into an all star level player

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Noone told Shams that we like what we have.

Imo, a couple of good veterans is a must. Similar to what Rockets did, just without paying so much.
    We're not getting close to top5 in the next draft with so many bad teams and teams that are on the verge of blowing it up.

Finally start playing some actual basketball, fight for the play in, see what happens in 2025 draft and playoffs because a lot of playoff teams will be done after the next season and then start making serious moves.
    Top6 seed in 25/26 season should be the objective and becoming a serious contender from 26/27 season is a must.
    If they up with all the assets we have, heads need to roll.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "there's a ton of interest in playing with Wemby"
    "the Spurs are going to be in play, they're going to be rumored, they're going to be talked about with legitimately every top flight PG in the market place"
    "there's at least some level of interest in seeing what kind of all star caliber point guard can they bring in there"
    "we don't know yet will the Hawks be open for business on Trae Young, what is his future there"
    "Victor Wembanyama... what he showed this year, he made it clear his timeline to winning starts now "

So Wemby is ready and wants to win, players would like to play with him, that will generate talk, he has no idea what the Hawks are going to do with Trae, and if an all star PG becomes available the Spurs will consider,

All quotes that show as much insight as I have into what the Spurs have in mind. Nothing to see here.
    Last edited by Ariel; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:34 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Warriors and Lakers are dunzo. Suns are a joke. Clippers are soon behind. Dallas is good but shaky. Minnesota has big cap problems. Rockets may be good, but are jammed with weird fits. OKC looks tremendous. I can't remember anyone else of note in the West other than Denver. In the East, it's the Celtics and a bunch of mediocre headcases.

The league is wide open. Players see where things might start shifting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Warriors and Lakers are dunzo. Suns are a joke. Clippers are soon behind. Dallas is good but shaky. Minnesota has big cap problems. Rockets may be good, but are jammed with weird fits. OKC looks tremendous. I can't remember anyone else of note in the West other than Denver. In the East, it's the Celtics and a bunch of mediocre headcases.

so what you're saying is...

the western conference hasn't been this bad in a really long time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You said basically the same thing last year while claiming 2024's West "hasn't been this bad in a long time," when the 10th seed won 46 games and would be the 8th seed in the East while the West 6th seed would have been the 3rd seed in the East and the West's 1-5th seeds would have all had the 2nd best record in the East. Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Winning right now? That's not who we are." -

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hold onto those Atlanta picks for dear life. That franchise is going nowhere but down. Probably the same for that Chicago pick.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You said basically the same thing last year while claiming 2024's West "hasn't been this bad in a long time," when the 10th seed won 46 games and would be the 8th seed in the East while the West 6th seed would have been the 3rd seed in the East and the West's 1-5th seeds would have all had the 2nd best record in the East. Do you ever get tired of being wrong?
    Yeah, the West is good, what does he expect, six teams that are legit le contenders?
    We're a very long way off right now.

Denver and Minnesota look good for the foreseeable future.
    OKC is already looking scary, really not good for us.
    Dallas looks better than they ever did with Luka, luckily for us they've got no assets left.

It will take a lot to become better than these teams.

Don't forget about the Grizzlies. If Morant gets his together, they're in that top tier again next season.
    I'm sure they'll get one of Sarr/Clingan/Edey in the draft.

NOLA and Kings aren't legit contenders, but still good teams and the first obstacle for the Spurs. Got to get better than them to make the playoffs.
    Veteran teams will be done after the next season.
    Rockets lack a franchise player, but I expect them to be in NOLA/Kings tier really soon.

That's 8 teams already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The spurs are far away but… it’s not unreasonable to think with the right moves they could be a playoff team. If the guy they draft surprises and contributes immediately, if they are able to find the right stop gap player, and the biggest not talked about enough is wemby in year 2…

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What’s being glossed over here is the colossal impact Wemby was starting to have on both ends which showed evidence of being to keep pace with any team in the West. The clubbing of OKC, the win over DEN and other playoff teams. NOBODY was really looking to lock horns with Wemby as the season wore down. That includes the Joker, Doncic, and SGA.

We are not as far off as people think. Yes the roster can improve a lot, but led by Wemby it will not take as much to tip the scales into a winning team as some seem to think.
    Last edited by Knoxxx; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:38 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "there's a ton of interest in playing with Wemby"
    "the Spurs are going to be in play, they're going to be rumored, they're going to be talked about with legitimately every top flight PG in the market place"
    "there's at least some level of interest in seeing what kind of all star caliber point guard can they bring in there"
    "we don't know yet will the Hawks be open for business on Trae Young, what is his future there"
    "Victor Wembanyama... what he showed this year, he made it clear his timeline to winning starts now "

So Wemby is ready and wants to win, players would like to play with him, that will generate talk, he has no idea what the Hawks are going to do with Trae, and if an all star PG becomes available the Spurs will consider,

All quotes that show as much insight as I have into what the Spurs have in mind. Nothing to see here.
    Pretty much. It's amusing watching these guys struggle for content and trying to cover the most secretive front office in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wembanyama has 3 years before he can legitimately pull a Leonard. No need to allow him to dictate terms at least for next year. Secondarily what is his desire - winning team, high seed in the playoffs, or contending for a le.

He can be told by the FO that the last option is what they're building towards. You're 20 years old, pump the brakes. Now if he is truly unique in that he can anchor a contender at that young of an age... But history says that's not realistic

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The window is more like 9 years as nobody can pay Wemby more than us and there is no doubt nor will there be that this is his franchise. That said, we ain’t wasting any time. The end of this season had a different feel than last. We were playing many tanking teams down the stretch which gave us a more optimistic outlook on some of our young prospects. This time, we were beating playoff teams and Wemby was doing things like guarding Jokic all over the court and making him cough the ball up early in possessions. Sochan also was showing that he can potentially be an elite stopper on the ball dominant larger PGs such as Doncic and SGA.

We just need to keep infusing talent, watch the young players develop and benefit from continuity and knowing the system, as well as selectively add a few vets that don’t break the bank.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing is that Wemby isn't on a "let's hope we win one" timeline, he's on "I want to be the GOAT" timeline. And there's no time to lose on that one.
    If Spurs aren't a legit playoff threat in 2026, that timeline is already jeopardized.

Chet being on Thunder is really unlucky for us. While he's obviously an inferior player, they're in prime position to dominate for many years.
    And then Wemby could find himself in Wilt-Russell situation. Can't have his peer win more and faster, regardless of how much of an advantage OKC had and how much of a better player Wemby is. Those are just semantics in mainstream media's eyes.

Next season should be the final season where Spurs aren't a legit playoff team. Make all the moves necessary for Wemby's Robin to be on the roster in summer of 2025.
    We already know this kid is ridiculously good and he'll most likely average 25/12/5/2/4 as soon as the next season. Can't tank with such monster on your roster.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need players who play games. Half these “all stars” only play half a season. You can get done with those types of people.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That collins contract ext really ed us.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That collins contract ext really ed us.
    Seems like we could easily trade him and a draft pick and get back a better player. If it made sense. He actually started to thrive a bit with the 2nd unit as the season went on. His 3 ball returned and his points per minute was high.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing is that Wemby isn't on a "let's hope we win one" timeline, he's on "I want to be the GOAT" timeline. And there's no time to lose on that one.
    If Spurs aren't a legit playoff threat in 2026, that timeline is already jeopardized.

Chet being on Thunder is really unlucky for us. While he's obviously an inferior player, they're in prime position to dominate for many years.
    And then Wemby could find himself in Wilt-Russell situation. Can't have his peer win more and faster, regardless of how much of an advantage OKC had and how much of a better player Wemby is. Those are just semantics in mainstream media's eyes.

Next season should be the final season where Spurs aren't a legit playoff team. Make all the moves necessary for Wemby's Robin to be on the roster in summer of 2025.
    We already know this kid is ridiculously good and he'll most likely average 25/12/5/2/4 as soon as the next season. Can't tank with such monster on your roster.
    All of this. Unfortunately, OKC is probably the team that stands in the way the most of Wemby winning for the next decade. With their war chest of picks, young talent, and big 3 that all synergizes, there are several moves open to them in the near future that could make them easy championship favorites for a least a couple years without having to sacrifice much

1. Durant asks out (again), gets traded for a truckload of picks. SGA-JDub-Durant-Chet. Championship
    2. Markannen for a truckload of picks. SGA-JDub-Lauri-Chet. Championship
    3. Giannis gets pissed and asks out, traded for JDub and a truckload of picks. SGA-Giannis-Chet. Championship.

Unfortunately, their new ownership group has fully indicated a willingness to spend so that eliminates OKC's prior biggest weakness, which was an unwillingness to pay the tax. They have a better front office, more talent, and are on the same timeline. If Wemby is championships or bust long term, any move that SA makes from here on out may have to keep OKC's lineup in mind which is why I am less and less in favor of a Trae Young trade. At least with multiple lottery picks you have a shot of picking guys who wouldn't get mercilessly hunted by SGA while simultaneously getting butt ed by Dort and Cason Wallace on the other end.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players are not lining up to play for Wemby as we never had people lining up to play with Duncan and Timmy. The organization knows what it is doing and Pop pretty much all ready said they not going to rush things and I don’t want to be like Dallas who pretty much have no way to make there team better because of bad decisions. As I have said many times I think we are looking at getting our future Co Stars in the 2025 draft as it has legit Star level talent for SG & SF. And we are set up with draft picks from multiple teams that year.

I am also cool if they want to make trades but I am not giving up my first round draft picks. But if they want to trade any of our players feel free to include them and as many of our second rounds picks as needed
    Last edited by BackHome; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:12 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You know what I love about this?
    Our team has such drama and things to worry and care about now.
    The past few years we were dealing with ennui and faint hope.

This is where life lives!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mostly agree about the Thunder, but they also might be part of the impetus that gives this overly conservative organization the kick in the ass it needs to do something outside of their comfort zone.

Hold onto those Atlanta picks for dear life. That franchise is going nowhere but down. Probably the same for that Chicago pick.
    The goal of those picks is to yield a (co) star, either directly or via trade, not to hoard them.

No, this isn't an unabashed endorsement for Young or any particular individual, just the reality when you luck into a GOAT caliber prospect.

This organization is being welcomed to the real NBA, where you usually don't have the luxury of letting great be the enemy of good.

Either now or later, when Wembanyama's impatience mounts, this likely ends with the having to do what they don't want and trading for a flawed co-star.

Thread Information