I love the 80's! Old School Chic's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Once you permanently delete a message Is there any way of retrieving it?

I thought you were not able to, but I was out sick from work for 3 days and the girl who was temporarily using my system retrieved some of my e-mail messages from 3-4 months ago.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't know if regular users are able to, but I know a lot of workplaces keep backups. Maybe she has contacts in admin?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't know if regular users are able to, but I know a lot of workplaces keep backups. Maybe she has contacts in admin?
    Nosy ! She was probably wondering If I talk about her ugly ass.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'd fire her.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Good Idea!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I've found that if you don't want your employers or coworkers to read what you type it's best not to do it at all. There are even programs to save your keystrokes.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

I thought you were not able to, but I was out sick from work for 3 days and the girl who was temporarily using my system retrieved some of my e-mail messages from 3-4 months ago.
    That's scary.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    How did you find out she saw them, did she leave the emails there?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Air Force Falcons
    Yes.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Trinity Tigers
    And of course the question is did you *really* "permanently" delete them? EG all deleting a message does is put it a folder named "Deleted Items." And even if you do empty that folder, as timvp says there are ways of getting them back.

Not to mention that a copy of everything you send goes in your "sent" folder. Do you empty that? A lot of people overlook that.

Too many years in IT. Sorry.

Mad Beer Hops! Notorious H.O.P.'s Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    As an IT guy, here is a bit of advice. Questionable or personal content should be sent to a home or webmail account. Confidential information or anything else that you don't want to turn up again should be permanently deleted directly from the Inbox.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    How did you find out she saw them, did she leave the emails there?
    She left them there. They say nothing bad, though. I know better then to be sending personal messages to someone at work, but just the thought that the was snooping around my e-mails, pisses me off!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    So I configured my office e-mail with IMAP. I didn't use POP because it will take forever to download all my e-mail and it will take up about over 10GB. However, it also takes forever to cache all my e-mails in IMAP. How do I prevent caching of e-mails in Outlook?

Help me please I just want to read and reply to e-mails in Outlook

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    So I configured my office e-mail with IMAP. I didn't use POP because it will take forever to download all my e-mail and it will take up about over 10GB. However, it also takes forever to cache all my e-mails in IMAP. How do I prevent caching of e-mails in Outlook?

If you're using your phone change how far back your e-mail is retrieved in your settings. If you're using the computer based outlook there is probably a similar setting somewhere.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

To add to what ashbeeigh's post. Go to your phone settings and then email settings and you should be able to set however many emails you want to show up.

Like for example, on my iPhone I have the email settings to load and show just the last 50 recent messages. That's actually the least you could set it to.

That way you won't have to wait eternally for all of your message to export from your email account and show up on your phone.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    If you're using your phone change how far back your e-mail is retrieved in your settings. If you're using the computer based outlook there is probably a similar setting somewhere.
    To add to what ashbeeigh's post. Go to your phone settings and then email settings and you should be able to set however many emails you want to show up.

Like for example, on my iPhone I have the email settings to load and show just the last 50 recent messages. That's actually the least you could set it to.

That way you won't have to wait eternally for all of your message to export from your email account and show up on your phone.
    Thanks for the advice, you two. Was able to configure Outlook to only sync mail up to the last month. It's not the most extensive sync coverage but it works.

If I need to read mail that's older than a month I can just read it straight from my office mail inbox. Ultimately, my purpose of putting my office e-mail in my desktop Outlook is just to read the latest e-mails, reply to them, and create e-mails.

Name
    Sybok
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Orlando Magic
    Set up Outlook to archive your old mail. That allows you to keep only a small amount of email on the server. If it's a phone, just use webmail which allows you to visit your inbox without needing to download everything to your device.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Set up Outlook to archive your old mail. That allows you to keep only a small amount of email on the server.
    Isn't this more like POP3? I like it more when I'm able to sync and answer to mails and just and download files on-demand on my desktop Outlook, so that's why I picked IMAP4.

But yeah you're right if I wanted to view all it'd be best to just log in my office mail account.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    outlook.com

login and delete all your . from a web browser.

me thinks
    Not if you're on an Exchange account..

Thread Information