Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Has it ever happened? I haven't checked it out yet but one of the guys at work thought Fernando Valenzuela may have done it.

The reason I bring it up is because of the season Justin Verlander of our beloved Detroit Tigers is having. He's dominating so far this year.

Wins and Losses to this point; 13-4 (tied for 1st in the A.L.)

ERA - 2.69 (2nd best in the A.L.)

Had gone 56 innings without giving up a home run. (streak broken in his last outing, a 4-1 win over Cleveland.

Last 7 starts - 6-0 with an ERA of 1.72 (hasn't lost in 7 weeks)

Batting Average Against is .233 (6th in the A.L.)

100 mph fastball with movement.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you think he can beat out liriano?

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    Verlander and Liriano have both been great this year. I think you have to give it to Verlander just because the Tigers are the better team. Kenji Johjima has done an excellent job at catcher with the Mariners as well and deserves consideration for ROY.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you forgot about Jered Weaver? He has yet to lose.

7 starts, 7 wins. 47 IP 40K 1.15 ERA 0.79 WHIP

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    Have you forgot about Jered Weaver? He has yet to lose.

7 starts, 7 wins. 47 IP 40K 1.15 ERA 0.79 WHIP
    Haven't forgot about him. He hasn't put in as much work as Verlander or Liriano though.

Truth, justice, and the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Papelbon

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah Papelbon is lookin good

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    you think he can beat out liriano ?
    He's havin' an awesome year too. The Tigers face the Twins tonight at Minn, hopefully they'll rough him up too help out Verlander's cause.

Tigers scored 2 runs in the 1st off Liriano . 2-1 after the 1st inning.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would say Liriano has the nastiest stuff of all the rookies. It's just a matter of time before he no-hits somebody.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I would say Liriano has the nastiest stuff of all the rookies. It's just a matter of time before he no-hits somebody.
    He's definitely a stud. After 7 1/3 innings he's struck out 12 Tigers. Ties a career high. (still pitching)

We busted him up (Tigers win 3-2). Liriano gave up 2 runs in 8 innings and his ERA skyrocketed from 1.93 to 1.96.
    Last edited by jochhejaam; 07-28-2006 at 10:02 PM. Reason: game over comments.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's definitely a stud. After 7 1/3 innings he's struck out 12 Tigers. Ties a career high. (still pitching)

We busted him up (Tigers win 3-2). Liriano gave up 2 runs in 8 innings and his ERA skyrocketed from 1.93 to 1.96.

The Tigers are tough. They matchup well with the Twins.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    oakland u beezy!

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Yes, it has been done before. Once

Fernando Valenzuela. 1981 I believe.

BoSox gots on message boards need to get over Papelbon (not you Jim). Every loser thinks the Cy Young is his to lose. In the year of multiple players winning 15+ games, 2 of them being rookies, a closer who has more Ks than IPs is not winning the Cy Young.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Verlander didn't have his best stuff tonight but he got his Major League Leading 14th win of the season.
    He had a .078 ERA in his 4 previous games

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    The rookie made the cover of the most recent Sports Illustrated, beating out Tiger Woods who won a major (same ol', same ol')

He's 15-6, most wins by a Tiger since '97, with a 3.05 ERA, second in the AL.

He'll need to finish with a flurry if he hopes to win the Cy Young but he has the inside track for the Rookie of the Year Award.

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    The rookie made the cover of the most recent Sports Illustrated, beating out Tiger Woods who won a major (same ol', same ol')

He's 15-6, most wins by a Tiger since '97, with a 3.05 ERA, second in the AL.

He'll need to finish with a flurry if he hopes to win the Cy Young but he has the inside track for the Rookie of the Year Award.
    I dont think its going to happen. Hes going to get consideration for Cy Young, but I dont think he wins it. I think he has RoY all locked up though since Lariano went down.

Leonard Doody is my BITCH! Mr Dio's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the doc must be considered for cy young

Halladay?
    Yeah, he should get the CY @ this point.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Halladay?
    Yeah, he should get the CY @ this point.
    I think he's a close second to Johan Santana at this point. Santana has 88 more K's (194, tops in the majors) and he also has the lowest ERA in the AL.
    One more win for Halladay. Good race for the award.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    i was thinking the same thing im santana is also the best pitcher to watch imo

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Verlander and Liriano have both been great this year. I think you have to give it to Verlander just because the Tigers are the better team. Kenji Johjima has done an excellent job at catcher with the Mariners as well and deserves consideration for ROY.
    Kinsler>>>Johjima and liriano, verlander, papelbon>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>kinsler

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Ugh, Halladay pitched a 2-Run, 4-hitter Complete Game and lost.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    More news that should excite Tiger Fans. Recently drafted Andruw Miller, only 3 months removed from pitching in the College World Series Finals, has been called up from Class A Lakeland. Leyland said he believes Miller can help the Tigers immediatelyl.

Tigers' 2006 No. 1 draft pick called up earlier than expected
    By Jason Beck / MLB.com

NEW YORK -- Andrew Miller has been preparing for the Major Leagues ever since he signed his contract three and a half weeks ago, with a September call-up ensured. But nothing could prepare him for this.
    A year ago at this time, he was stepping back onto campus at the University of North Carolina. On Monday, he stepped out of a cab and into a pennant race, starting at some point in the next couple days with his Major League debut at Yankee Stadium.

Asked to compare this to other points in his baseball career, he sheepishly answered, "I don't know if I can relate anything to this."

About the only comparison for him would be the College World Series, and that was less than three months ago. Until now, it had been the highlight of his summer. Once he joined the Tigers organization, however, everything pointed to him coming up to the big leagues in September -- a plan that was moved up a few days once the Tigers needed a left-handed reliever, with Wilfredo Ledezma making a spot start.

That changed Miller's timetable from possibly making his big-league debut in the homely confines of Comerica Park to likely pitching in one of the most challenging atmospheres in sports.

"It's just a dream come true," Miller said on Tuesday afternoon before rains postponed that evening's scheduled contest. "I don't know if it's all hit me yet or not, but it's a pretty amazing place. The first Major League locker room I've ever been in is Yankee Stadium. You can't really beat that."

For the Tigers, Miller's arrival should relate to those Spring Training days when another 21-year-old pitcher with a big fastball, Joel Zumaya, was on his way to making the club. But while Zumaya has the big build and mean look of a pitcher beyond his years, Miller almost looks younger than his age.

"He's a real handsome-looking kid," manager Jim Leyland joked. "He doesn't have any gray whiskers, I can tell you that."

As long as his pitching is more advanced than his facial hair, that's all Leyland is concerned about. From all the reports Leyland has received, Miller has a chance to help them right now.

Miller said he pitched in his three appearances for Class A Lakeland looking to throw strikes over the plate, not to pitch scared. With his 98-mph fastball and the arm angle created by his 6-foot-6 frame, he was too much for most Florida State League hitters, striking out nine over five scoreless innings of relief.

"That was my goal, just to throw the ball over the plate and go from there," Miller said. "It worked for me pretty well down there. This is an entirely different story, so we'll see."

He has made the temporary transition to relief work well, he said. As hard as he throws, the short nature of relief appearances allows him to fire away without as much of a concern about endurance as he would have as a starter. As a reliever, he said, he works more on adrenaline, which actually sounds a lot like Zumaya.

"It's such a shorter time that you're out there on the mound, you have to go right at hitters," he said. "As a starter, you know if a guy walks, you can get the next guy. From my standpoint, there's a good chance if I walk a guy that I probably won't see the next batter."

How his game will translate to the big leagues is a major question down the stretch. How he transitions into life as a Major Leaguer is a whole other factor. Until this week, the only time he had been in New York had been as an amateur player with his parents. They'll be back for this series, having flown up from the family home in Gainesville, Fla.

He was making introductions with many of his new teammates on Tuesday afternoon. One notable exception was fellow lefty reliever Jamie Walker, who went out of his way to call Miller in his hotel room on Monday and talk to him about life in the big leagues.

"I just told him what to expect," Walker said. "Shoot, he's practically out of college. I told him that after the game, no matter if you get lit up or strike out the side, just don't say something that'll come back to haunt you. ... Be a man. That's what I basically said. He's good. He seems humble."

It's a lesson Walker remembers former Royals great Jeff Montgomery teaching him when he broke into the Majors with Kansas City in 1997. Miller was 11 years old the day Walker made his big-league debut. For that matter, Zumaya was 12, and both Justin Verlander and Jeremy Bonderman were 14.

"Thank God I've got grandpa down there [in the bullpen]," Walker said, looking at closer Todd Jones. "I don't feel so bad."

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp...=.jsp&c_id=det

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    98 mph...yikes.

Zumaya throwin 99-101, Miller throwing 98. Damn son.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    98 mph...yikes.

Zumaya throwin 99-101, Miller throwing 98. Damn son.
    Millers first game in the bigs and Leyland throws him in starting the 8th inning of a 2-0 game against the Yanks at their house, with his parents in the stands.
    Line. 1 inning, 0 hits and 1 hbp.
    Nice going young man.

Thread Information