Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Dude, are you serious? Almost every router has a list of MAC addresses which connect to it. A MAC address identifies YOUR computer. If their network is password protected, you could be charged with unauthorized access to a computer network which is usually a felony in every state.

I'm not sure how far it would be prosecuted, but if you think you're not going to leave footsteps then you're a really foolish man. You don't think that trying to crack a password isn't going to leave or trigger a log file? Cracking is the cyber equivilant of using a large blunt object to break down a door: it isn't very subtle.

If keep my Wifi network secured because I don't want anyone packet sniffing my poker account information. If not for that, I'd have an open network that anyone could connect to and I wouldn't mind. But if I found someone had gone to the trouble to break my encryption key I would probably find out who it was and press charges.
    You can easily crack a WEP key without interjecting any traffic. What kind of footsteps am I going to leave when I'm not touching your network? If you download a lot of files and use WEP, a passive attack isn't going to take a long time.

Another easy way to crack passwords is based on peoples stupidity. Most people enter a passphrase for their WEP key. All you have to do to crack it (and this method is really fast) is to run the MD5 algorithm on a dictionary after sniffing only 1 IV packet (most WEP encryption keys are MD5 hashes of passphrases).

Anyone who uses WEP and passphrases should change it immediately to something more random. When you use a passphrase, you change the attack need to beat you from brute-force to dictionary, and dictionary attack is as easy as it gets.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Thank you very much. I really appreciate the help.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    I found a windows version of aircrack, but I guess it doesn't have as many tools as the linux version. Might take me a while to figure how to operate this program, but should be fun trying. Got to love technology.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Bakrid, you want free wifi? Take your lap top to almost any Rest Area on a Texas Highway!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Bakrid, you want free wifi? Take your lap top to almost any Rest Area on a Texas Highway!
    I live in Nebraska. She does live within a half mile or so to the University, so until I figure out that program I could go the union if I really need to use the internet, that or Starbucks.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Man, it is one thing leaching off someone who doens't have a password up, but actually breaking into someone's network is pretty damn weak.
    Leeching off somebody else's network is weak, password protected or not. If the door to a house is open, does that mean you can go in? If the door to a car is unlocked, does that mean you can go in and look around and take it for a spin?

Yes, computer security should be better, but that doesn't give you the right to trepass. You don't gain rights when their wireless frequencies are going through your place.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Leeching off somebody else's network is weak, password protected or not. If the door to a house is open, does that mean you can go in? If the door to a car is unlocked, does that mean you can go in and look around and take it for a spin?

Yes, computer security should be better, but that doesn't give you the right to trepass. You don't gain rights when their wireless frequencies are going through your place.
    You do, actually. When somenoe broadcasts a signal directly into my house, it is their responsibility to secure it. XP will automaticaly select the best signal, and at times that will be your neighbors unsecured network.

It is more like listening to music your neighbor blasts as opposed to walking into their house considering I never leave mine.

Not to mention that there is a large group of people who leave their networks open for the sole reason they want to share.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    sheeeit they got free wifi at dairy queen now!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You do, actually. When somenoe broadcasts a signal directly into my house, it is their responsibility to secure it. XP will automaticaly select the best signal, and at times that will be your neighbors unsecured network.

It is more like listening to music your neighbor blasts as opposed to walking into their house considering I never leave mine.

Not to mention that there is a large group of people who leave their networks open for the sole reason they want to share.
    Yes, it is their responsibility to secure it, but it is your responsibility to only use what you've paid for or allowed to.

You can keep justifying your behavior however you want. Legally, the FCC governs what signals can be sent where. So you're saying the FCC has granted anyone to use unsecured networks? Maybe unsecured computers, too?

Player To Be Named Later
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    On the wireless network we have at my house it is even easier to see what computers get on our network than how y'all have described

Whenever any computer connects to the router, a small window pops up in the bottom right hand corner of the main computer saying what computer has just connected to the router.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Yes, it is their responsibility to secure it, but it is your responsibility to only use what you've paid for or allowed to.

You can keep justifying your behavior however you want. Legally, the FCC governs what signals can be sent where. So you're saying the FCC has granted anyone to use unsecured networks? Maybe unsecured computers, too?
    Legally eh? Show me a case where a person has been prosecuted for accessing an unsecured network.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Here's a couple example of people being prosecuted, though in these cases, the accused were sitting in cars rather than the privacy of their own home.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=189600321

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8489534/

Here's various legal mumbo-jumbo, which I think can be fairly summarized that the legality is murky.

http://wwwebbb.gsu.edu/lawand/papers...lying_the_CPAA

http://www.lctjournal.washington.edu...amasastry.html

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/08/tech...ternet_piracy/

Thread Information