Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Too weird to live, and too rare to die. midgetonadonkey's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't think using an open connection is stealing, just the password protected connections.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Dude, are you serious? Almost every router has a list of MAC addresses which connect to it. A MAC address identifies YOUR computer. If their network is password protected, you could be charged with unauthorized access to a computer network which is usually a felony in every state.

I'm not sure how far it would be prosecuted, but if you think you're not going to leave footsteps then you're a really foolish man. You don't think that trying to crack a password isn't going to leave or trigger a log file? Cracking is the cyber equivilant of using a large blunt object to break down a door: it isn't very subtle.

If keep my Wifi network secured because I don't want anyone packet sniffing my poker account information. If not for that, I'd have an open network that anyone could connect to and I wouldn't mind. But if I found someone had gone to the trouble to break my encryption key I would probably find out who it was and press charges.

It's a good thing you aren't the neighbor, as far as you know anyway.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    MAC / SSID = nearly impenatrable without spending big $$$ on really extreme hardware.

So, basically, your answer is no. Youll actually have to pay.

But here is a tip...F

Find where the cable comes into the apartment. All the apartments are wired for cable, they just restrict your access by "capping" the appropriate node on the apartment matrix. If you remove said cap (it uses a special tool, but a pair of pliars works wonders, practice on one that sint yours first), you will have cable.

If you have cable, you can buy a cheater-modem, input the manual config, and wha-la. Internet and Cable.

Now that I'm afraid of trying, seems way to easy to get caught doing that.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    I left my MAC filtering off once after altering the settings. Half an hour later, eight computers were leeching of my router. It's easily detected - all you have to do is look.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The U.N does not approve of you trying to steal internet Bakkrid. We will use our full powers to see that this does not happen. Expect a firm letter expressing our dismay towards you very soon.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I'm pretty sure that TW monitors digital traffic on their network, so I don't think yo ucan get away with stealing road runner. They'll know right away.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    I never said it was stealing, that was Danyo and Midge. If somoene leaves their connection open, it is broadcasting an open network into your home then I say it is fair game. But what you're doing is breaking into something, which is a huge difference.
    I see your point, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over using somebody's internet connection if I got around the password. If that makes me a bad person and some sort of s bag, then so be it. And, I'm quite confident that the person wouldn't have a clue that I was surfing the net on their connection, nor do I think that they would know how to go about figuring out who it was, nor do I think they would call the police. If I get it figured out and get caught I promise I'll post a scanned copy of my ticket so you guys can stick it to me since you warned me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies

They don't give ticket's for felonys buddy. That being said, I doubt anyone would report you. They'd probably just go about closing their network in a better way.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Even one extra person on your network makes it slower. My roommate and I were having some connection issues and as part of the troubleshooting, they had us open up the connection. Within TWO MINUTES someone was leeching, and the connection was slower- maybe not hugely but it was noticeable. By the time we figured out the problem 30 minutes later FOUR mother ers were leeching off of us.

That pisses me off, ing vultures. We pay good, hard-earned money to have the convenience of wireless and I don't want anyone making slower for us just because their cheap ass wants to be on the internet when they could be ing their girlfriend intead. So we lock our router and you better believe that we know EXACTLY who was leeching and when and would report you without blinking an eye if you tried to hack in.

You Belinelli Believe It! dougp's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Ever consider just knocking on the persons door and explaining that you'd like to use their wireless network because you have good signal? Offer the person like $10/month?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    I left my MAC filtering off once after altering the settings. Half an hour later, eight computers were leeching of my router. It's easily detected - all you have to do is look.
    How and where do you look to see if other computers are connected? I want to check my router.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    a ticket.........

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Ever consider just knocking on the persons door and explaining that you'd like to use their wireless network because you have good signal? Offer the person like $10/month?
    Yeah, I would definitely do that, but I don't know whose it is and there are like 20 different apartments in her building and like 20 more in the building right next to it. If I knew who it was I would offer $25 a month, but I would have to go door to door and I don't want to do that. Plus it is kind of exciting to try and crack the password.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings

They don't give ticket's for felonys buddy. That being said, I doubt anyone would report you. They'd probably just go about closing their network in a better way.
    Then I'll post the article in the paper. I can see it now, "28 year old man inprisoned for mooching internet service."

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    How and where do you look to see if other computers are connected? I want to check my router.
    If you can login to the router, there is usually a LAN status tab somewhere. The computers will be listed by name and network IP address.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    If you can login to the router, there is usually a LAN status tab somewhere. The computers will be listed by name and network IP address.
    Yes, but when you set it up you can name it anything you want. So that still doesn't tell you who the account belongs to unless the person uses their real name.

Stand-up philosopher CharlieMac's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I used to leech of someone at my old apartment complex, but once I saw that they didn't leave it open and enabled the WEP settings, I got the hint.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Yes, but when you set it up you can name it anything you want. So that still doesn't tell you who the account belongs to unless the person uses their real name.
    I'm just saying how to find out if anyone else is accessing your router, not how to ID them. If you don't want them accessing it, turn on MAC filtering or enable WEP.

Wanna kill all Humans? u2sarajevo's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Anyone that has a Wireless network at home..... DO NOT broadcast your SSID for one. Always secure communication with an encryption key (enable WEP, WPA). And MAC filtering is a good way to further secure your Wireless network but by no means is it the only option you should be using (you can spoof a MAC address also).

As to the point of findout out who is mooching off of you.... you would have better luck if you lived in a House (not an apartment) because the number of potential moochers is much smaller. But you would have to get hardcore evidence that your neighbor was doing this before you will get the law involved. The better option if you have uninvited guests on your network is to hack the crap out of their computer.... then lock them out by securing your network. At least then you will know something bad happened to them. And if one of your neighbors then starts complaining about computer problems you probably just identified the perpetrator.

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Now that I'm afraid of trying, seems way to easy to get caught doing that.
    Plausible Deniability.

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Anyone that has a Wireless network at home..... DO NOT broadcast your SSID for one. Always secure communication with an encryption key (enable WEP, WPA). And MAC filtering is a good way to further secure your Wireless network but by no means is it the only option you should be using (you can spoof a MAC address also).

As to the point of findout out who is mooching off of you.... you would have better luck if you lived in a House (not an apartment) because the number of potential moochers is much smaller. But you would have to get hardcore evidence that your neighbor was doing this before you will get the law involved. The better option if you have uninvited guests on your network is to hack the crap out of their computer.... then lock them out by securing your network. At least then you will know something bad happened to them. And if one of your neighbors then starts complaining about computer problems you probably just identified the perpetrator.

BRILLIANT!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    How about when you *visit* your GF you spend time with her rather than the net.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Believe me I will, but she goes to sleep early and I'm up for a couple of hours after she falls asleep. She doesn't have cable, and even if she did her new apartment is very small and the television would probably keep her awake, so I'm really trying not to go stir crazy. Can't believe people are that up in arms and looking down their noses at me for this idea. I'll bet some of you same people do things like download music for free and use pirated software, but that is just a guess.

Stand-up philosopher CharlieMac's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah, that makes the most sense here. You should rent Beaches with her dude.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    If it's WEP, it's easy to crack unless they change the key weekly. Look into the aircrack suite. You also have to be running linux or *BSD to do it. aircrack has a packet sniffer. Once you get a few hundred thousand unique IVs, it only takes a couple of minutes to crack the password using aircrack. I've cracked tons of WEP codes using it. It might take a couple of weeks to sniff enough packets to be able to do it for regular internet usage. However, if the person downloads a large movie or something of that nature, you can get enough packets pretty quickly. You can also inject traffic into their network to be able to recieve packets quickly, but then your odds of being caught are a lot higher. Anyways, read up on aircrack and the airtools package, kismet, and a few others I can't think of off the top of my head. Tom's Hardware has a few articles on cracking WEP keys that will tell you some of the se programs I forgot. For anyone who uses WEP, change your key often or else you're a sitting duck.

MAC filtering's a ing joke. It takes all of 2 seconds for me to spoof a MAC Address. All I have to do is examine a packet from your network, and I have it.

Thread Information