Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    2001-02: 50-32 - Central Division Champions, 1st playoff series win in 11 years.
    2002-03: 50-32 - Central Division Champions, 1st Conference Finals Appearance in 12 years. Won a playoff series over Allen Iverson and Tracy McGrady.
    2003-04: 54-28 - First NBA Championship in 14 years. Won playoff series over Michael Redd, Jermaine O'Neal, Jason Kidd, Shaquille O'Neal, and Kobe Bryant.
    2004-05: 54-28 - Central Division Champions, Eastern Conference Champions. Won playoff series over Allen Iverson, Jermaine O'Neal, Shaquille O'Neal, and Dwyane Wade.

Man-to-man sure as hell worked for four seasons. I have yet to see a team that plays zone win a NBA Championship.

This guy is a little bitch. 'Adapt or Die.' How about 'I want to change things and I plan on using last year's failure to do so.'

The Pistons played very little zone last year. They were done in by their cockiness, fatigue and a better team in Miami.

Each Day Offers Potential Darrin's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    64-18 means he doesn't fit that description. We got beat by a better team and very well may have lost to the same team a year before if it weren't for the Wade injury.
    Would that have made LB a "little bitch"?
    64-18 is not meaningless, but it's not the whole picture, either. It means the Pistons got off to a great start. Larry Brown still got them further in the playoffs. Larry Brown never lost a series to Dwyane Wade or Shaquille O'Neal.

And whatever qualifies LB for 'little bitch' he obviously did because he is no longer here. But if I had to put a finger on 'little bitch,' I'd say feuding with Ben Wallace and crashing in the playoffs in addition to these comments just about do it.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    The Pistons played very little zone last year. They were done in by their cockiness, fatigue and a better team in Miami.
    So I can add the 64-18 total to the win column for man-to-man?

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Flip Saunders has a funny nose. He looks like Scooby Doo.

He has inventive ideas at the offensive end, and it helped the Detroit offense most of the season, but there's very little you can do if the players are just not hitting open shots.

Defensively, he tried to make the team learn how to play zone, but the players would not relent. They tried it a few times over the course of the seasons, but because they were so successful in the regular season, Flip had no weight to force them to really try zone. Consequently, the players never really learned how to play zone when it may have helped against Cleveland and/or Miami in the playoffs.

Many of the criticisms that people said of Saunders before the season started carry some merit. He did over-play his starters somewhat, but he didn't over-play them to the extent some people might want to think. He did play favorites, at the expense of developing some of the younger players. And, he really didn't know how to handle all the success. Subsequently, he didn't know how to handle the failure.

But, after Larry Brown left, there were not many better options. I liked Terry Porter last summer, and now he's an assistant coach. I think Porter and Harper may really be able to get through to the players as the buffer coaches. At least I hope so.

Because as has been intimated by a few people already, blame cannot not solely be given to Flip Saunders. The players ran this team for the most part last season. And, the Pistons could have hired Red Auerbach or Moses and the players still would have had the same attitude. Because of their championship experience, the players felt like they knew all they needed to know in terms of what it takes to get to the top. Flip never had the complete respect of the players, and that was evident throughout the regular season. And, while you can say that's Flip's fault, I think it's more the players' faults.

Flip is a good coach. He's not a great coach. But, just like players working on skills over the summer, hopefully, Flip works at perfecting his craft. I think coaches can improve just like players.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    the Pistons could have hired Red Auerbach or Moses and the players still would have had the same attitude. Because of their championship experience, the players felt like they knew all they needed to know in terms of what it takes to get to the top.
    I don't think so. They needed a coach that would command their attention from day one and if they didn't listen, they would lose. That wasn't Flip Saunders. He never established his authority with this team because he was too much of a players's coach; a people pleaser. Someone with instant credability like Lenny Wilkens or Phil Jackson could've done more with that team. Someone who commands his troops like Avery Johnson or Bill Laimbeer could've done a better job.

Every day Flip Saunders opens his mouth, I gain more and more respect for Larry Brown and Rick Carlisle.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    That's your opinion.

Second year Larry Brown was here, players lost respect for him too. They stopped listening to him.

Going from Larry Brown to Phil Jackson, let's be real. His esoteric nonsense would not have flied with these guys, especially Ben and Rasheed.

Lenny Wilkins? Kidding right? The same guy who told players in Toronto to practice any way they wanted to and even left practices midway through? That guy couldn't have done squat for the Pistons.

Only guy that may have done a better job is Avery Johnson. But, then again, it wasn't like he was available to be had.

Double facepalm...
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    He is a coach who can't work under any pressure. When there is no pressure on him, he is the best offensive mind out there. When the tinyest pressure is applied, he locks up.

Not everyone is cut out to be a coach, and it isn't his responsibility to quit because he can't get the job done.

I think he would overcome his lack of clutchness if he wouldn't act like a freggin old school coach, and play his youngins so the develop... basic investment strategy...

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    eric musselman...........

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And he's dead.

Thread Information