My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs lower the boom: SuperSonics no match as Bowen frustrates Allen; Parker nets 21 points
    Web Posted: 02/25/2007 12:20 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
    Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...r.1192101.html

Bruce Bowen dunked Saturday night, and Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he'll have to see film of the two-handed flush to believe it — which is fine with Bowen.

If the verdict is still out in Father Time vs. Bruce Bowen, Bowen presented additional evidence to bolster the defense's case, hounding Ray Allen for much of the evening as the Spurs ran past the Seattle SuperSonics 102-71 at the AT&T Center.

Tony Parker regained his stroke, scoring 21 points in 25 minutes, and Robert Horry made four 3-pointers among his 17 points as the Spurs won for the fifth consecutive game to match their longest streak of the season. But it was Bowen's defense on Allen that allowed the Spurs to limit Seattle to its lowest total of the season.

Allen, who had been averaging nearly 30 points a game since Jan. 1, finished with 12 while missing 16 of his 20 shots. Of the four shots he did make, only one came when Bowen was on the floor — and that was a 3-pointer in transition when Bowen wasn't guarding him.

"We know (Allen) takes a lot of shots and is an excellent shooter," said Tim Duncan, who totaled six points, 15 rebounds and five blocks. "Bruce did a great job staying with him the whole time."

While Popovich has recently been concerned Bowen's back is bothering him more than the 35-year-old forward will admit, the veteran produced one of his best performances of the season. The rest of the team wasn't too bad, either.

Seattle, which might have been weary from the previous night's loss in New Orleans, shot just 33.8 percent. With Bowen chasing Allen, the Spurs frequently double-teamed Rashard Lewis, who scored just 10 points on 4-of-13 shooting.

The Spurs' defensive stops also fed their transition offense. Of the team's 41 baskets, 32 came after an assist.

"We couldn't make a shot, and our legs were tired," Sonics coach Bob Hill said. "Ray couldn't make a shot. Rashard was fouled about 25 times, and for whatever reason (the officials) don't protect him at all.

"With those two guys not scoring, it just made it difficult."

The Spurs, meanwhile, had little trouble finding capable scorers. They made 12 of their last 13 shots in the second quarter, including 10 in a row, to take a 56-34 lead into halftime. Parker contributed much of the fuel during the run, going 6 of 6 for 12 points in the last 6 minutes, 47 seconds of the half.

Slowed recently by tendinitis in his right knee, Parker was coming off his worst shooting performance of the season — he was 3 for 14 during Wednesday's victory in Atlanta. He looked headed for another tough night when he missed four of his five shots in the opening quarter but soon settled into a rhythm, repeatedly peppering the Sonics with open jump shots.

"When my outside shot is going, I can do pretty much what I want," Parker said. "But that's just one game, and I need to be consistent."

With Horry making three 3-pointers in a span of two minutes, the Spurs took a 14-point lead late in the first quarter. But as soon as Popovich subbed for Bowen, Allen buried a 17-foot jump shot, a 3-pointer and a 15-foot fadeaway on three consecutive possessions to quickly cut Seattle's deficit in half.

That was all Popovich needed to see. He put Bowen back on the floor to start the second quarter. Allen picked up two points on a pair of free throws when Bowen was called for a foul on what he thought was a clean block, but the Sonics guard did not make another shot the rest of the game.

Bowen didn't shut down Allen by himself — Duncan's help defense was strong — but he did most of the work.

"(Bowen is) an incredible athlete in that sense and mental as much as physical," Popovich said. "We all know he's not that big and strong."

Apparently, however, Bowen can still jump. Trailing Parker on a break in the second quarter, he took a pass and elevated over a pair of Sonics to drop in a dunk that brought the crowd and his teammates to their feet.

"Don't you have to touch the rim to consider it a dunk?" Duncan said. "I'm calling it a strong layup is what I'm calling it."

Popovich also had his doubts.

"I haven't seen the film," Popovich said, "but I think there's no doubt he put his knee or his hand in somebody's back and catapulted himself because he can't do that."

Bowen can live with his coach's skepticism.

"I'm done with trying to show him," Bowen said, laughing. "If he doesn't see now ... "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [email protected]

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hhahahaahahahahahahah

omg
    im seriously lol'ing right now

I CHALLENGE YOU
    is there any recorded ownage on a player by player basis like the Bowen/Allen rivalry? PffffFfffFFf i guess its not even a rivalry, probably never was...Let's wait and see if Allen whines about feet placement in the next couple of days..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    omFG so funny.. "a strong layup"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"Don't you have to touch the rim to consider it a dunk?" Duncan said. "I'm calling it a strong layup is what I'm calling it."

Popovich also had his doubts.

"I haven't seen the film," Popovich said, "but I think there's no doubt he put his knee or his hand in somebody's back and catapulted himself because he can't do that."
    $L.OL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BWAH HAH HAH.

AHAHAHAHAH.

I can't stop laughing. HAHAHAHA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "We couldn't make a shot, and our legs were tired," Sonics coach Bob Hill said. "Ray couldn't make a shot. Rashard was fouled about 25 times, and for whatever reason (the officials) don't protect him at all.

"With those two guys not scoring, it just made it difficult."
    That's Bob Hill at his finest. He does nothing but make excuses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    @ Bowen

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timmy....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe the NBA should have a Strong Layup contest during the ASB.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rashard was fouled about 25 times, and for whatever reason (the officials) don't protect him at all.
    Sore loser.

I think there's just certain players Bruce will always own in the NBA: Ray Allen, Vince Carter, Shawn Marion....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bob Hill sucks. How he is still coaching in Seattle demonstrated the terrible incompetence of that organization. I can't believe I actually shook Hill's hand in line to the restroom at the NCAA Regional Finals in Austin a couple years ago. Damn.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Wheel Is Turning... shelshor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Percy Allen still doesn't like Bruce

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...36_soni25.html

Spurs soundly thrash Sonics

By Percy Allen
    Seattle Times staff reporter

SAN ANTONIO — With Ray Allen and Bruce Bowen exchanging elbows and insults, and coaches Bob Hill and Gregg Popovich still at odds, there's plenty of bad blood and soap-opera drama between the Sonics and San Antonio for the makings of a good rivalry.

Except one key ingredient is missing: Compe ion.

Until the Sonics prove they belong on the same court as the Spurs, the way they did during the 2005 Western Conference semifinals, then blowouts like Saturday's 102-71 defeat will become commonplace and the separation between the teams will continue to grow.

It was only two years ago that Seattle pushed San Antonio to six games in their playoff pairing. Many of the key characters remain, but the gap between them was painfully obvious as the Spurs (38-18) won their fifth straight game in front of a sellout crowd of 18,797 at AT&T Center.

"Tonight it was two totally different teams," Sonics guard Earl Watson said. "We could never make the adjustments to overcome. It was just a breakdown. They did a great job of taking us out of what we do and we could never overcome."

Not only did San Antonio hold Seattle to a season low in points, the Spurs handed the Sonics their most lopsided defeat of the season. And if that wasn't bad enough, Rashard Lewis left in the third quarter with a right-ankle tendon strain, Chris Wilcox suffered a right-knee contusion and Luke Ridnour spent most of the first half on the bench after being poked in the eye.

Finding a silver lining on this night was difficult for Hill. The Sonics coach yelled encouragement from the sideline as he watched the Spurs beat his team decisively for the second time this season. San Antonio defeated the Sonics 98-78 in November.

The 31-point whipping was deflating because the Sonics had seemed turned the corner recently. Even their 98-97 loss Friday in New Orleans was reason for optimism.

"The good thing about [Friday] night's game is that the team was visibly upset and they knew they blew an opportunity," Hill said. "Tonight, they [the Spurs] were just a great team. ... They had great momentum. We couldn't make a shot, and our legs were tired."

The aging Spurs — built around All-Stars Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili — are unable to play full tilt for 48 minutes anymore. They play in short, destructive spurts, often suffocating opponents with their defense.

Bowen harassed Allen into 4-of-20 shooting and held the All-Star guard to 12 points, 15 fewer than his average. Lewis never found his range and finished with 10 points, along with Damien Wilkins.

"I see a trend developing when we shoot the ball poorly ... then we lose by these margins because we can't put the ball in the basket," Allen said. "Offensively, we just didn't exist."

Seattle managed to recover from San Antonio's initial onslaught and reduced a 27-15 deficit in the first quarter to 29-28 early in the second quarter. But once the shots stopped falling for the Sonics (21-34), they appeared uninterested in playing defense. That's when San Antonio connected on its next 10 field goals.

The Spurs didn't miss a shot during a scintillating 7 ½-minute stretch, peppering the Sonics with a flurry of fast-break layups and midrange jumpers. When the second quarter ended, the Spurs had converted 13 of 17 field-goal attempts and led 56-34.

Parker scored 12 of his game-high 21 points in the second quarter, and Ginobili had seven of his 11 points.

Seattle never cut the deficit to fewer than 20 points in the third quarter because Parker continued scoring and Robert Horry had eight of his 17 points. Every Spur scored a basket, and Duncan added six points and a game-high 15 rebounds.

"We just have to be tougher," said Hill, who pulled his starters at the top of the fourth quarter. "I don't know if you can just say that to a team and they can act on it, but we have to get tougher defensively."

The Sonics return home to host the Portland Trail Blazers on Monday night at KeyArena.

Percy Allen: 206-464-2278 or [email protected]

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The box stats on this game were really weird what with TD at only 6 points. I didnt see or hear the game so when I looked at the stats, i couldn't believe we could win wihtout solid scoring from Tim, but other players took up the slack.

Thread Information