My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Talk about failed wars....

Marijuana Arrests Set New Record for 4th Year in a Row, Exceed All Violent Crimes Combined

WASHINGTON, D.C. —
    For the fourth year in a row, U.S. marijuana arrests set an all-time record in 2006, according to the just-released FBI Uniform Crime Reports. Marijuana arrests totaled 829,627, an increase from 786,545 in 2005. Similar to previous years, 738,916 or 89 percent were for possession, not sale or manufacture, and marijuana possession arrests again exceeded arrests for all violent crimes combined.

"The steady escalation of marijuana arrests is happening in direct defiance of public opinion," said Rob Kampia, executive director of the Marijuana Policy Project in Washington, D.C. "Voters in communities all over the country, from Denver to Seattle to Eureka Springs, Arkansas, and Missoula County, Montana, have passed measures saying they don't want marijuana arrests to be a priority, yet marijuana arrests have set an all-time record for four years running. It appears that police are taking their cue from White House Drug Czar John Walters, who is obsessed with marijuana, rather than the public who pays their salaries.

"The bottom line is that we are wasting billions of dollars each year on a failed policy," Kampia continued. "Despite record arrests, marijuana use remains higher than it was 15 years ago, when arrests were less than half the present level, and marijuana is the number one cash crop in the U.S. Marijuana is scientifically proven to be far safer than alcohol, and it's time to start regulating marijuana the same way we regulate wine, beer and liquor."

With more than 23,000 members and 100,000 e-mail subscribers nationwide, the Marijuana Policy Project is the largest marijuana policy reform organization in the United States. MPP believes that the best way to minimize the harm associated with marijuana is to regulate marijuana in a manner similar to alcohol. For more information, please visit www.MarijuanaPolicy.org .
    Link

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Talk about failed wars....
    Something we agree on.

End the War on Drugs!

That's a movement I could get behind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did anyone read the story in the E-N this morning about Italy.
    The criminals are the biggest business in Italy.Big Business in Italy

2nd Verse Same as the 1st Oh, Gee!!'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    begin the war on poverty

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    begin the war on poverty
    Another failed "war"

I say begin the war on irresponsibility.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Another failed "war"

Yep, cut the irresponsible people off from some, most, maybe all social services...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another failed "war"

That will happen during the next presidential election.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The U.S. should invade the country that does not abide by our foreign policy and also grows marijuana. We can use the fact that they promote drug sales as reasoning to go to war with them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know if America would just do what Canada used to push and make the legal, track it like you do the liquor and make some money to cover all our presidents ups. Weed isn't a problem more or less a fing problem to begin with.

Thread Information