10. New Zealand
    11. Norway
    12. Poland
    13. Portugal
    14. Serbia
    15. Sweden
    16. UK

US$99 for the season.

Many Spurs games aren't shown on LP, but some are, so it's an improvement at least.

Thought people would like to know.
    Last edited by RuffnReadyOzStyle; 01-08-2008 at 11:15 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the info. But not available in Germany... Damn!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No Brazil also

DAMN

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No ARG

But it is on Direct TV I'd take it probably

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The country list is mind boggling.

The best I could come up with is: Countries with absolutely no NBA coverage?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, i dont understand the country list at all. and its not like they need to make country specific infrastructure- I'm already watching US streams with no problems from south america.

also, i've entered many times into nba.com/china and found live links for games- no registration or anything. why do the chinese get it free?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way I understand it is that the NBA has sold the TV rights to channel in specific countries.
    The local channel that has buy the TV right is the only allowed to show NBA games in this country. The NBA can't sold league pass in this country because it is against the contract with the local TV channel.
    Countries in this list should be the ones where TV rights have not been sold or where the contract with the local TV channel allowed the NBA to sell league pass.

Ruff, you should remove the site name and the link to it because this site explain how to illegally watch NBA games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruno, thanks, and sorry, wasn't thinking.

And yes, IP rights would be the reason only some countries are allowed LP BB. However, it makes little sense because the only NBA coverage in Oz is through ESPN on pay TV (which few Australians have - less than 10% of the viewing audience), and that amounts to a pathetic 2 games a week (!?!?!), and until this announcement you couldn't get LP BB here either. I wonder what changed? If the IP agreements can change here, surely they can be changed across the globe.

And if any NBA staffers come across this thread, your service to international fans is APPALLING!
    1. Answer your correspondence. I have 5 unanswered letters to the NBA so far.
    2. You want fans and you want to make money, make the NBA available over the net worldwide. Get out your lawyers, re-work the agreements, and stop killing your international fan base who can't see enough of the game.
    Last edited by RuffnReadyOzStyle; 01-08-2008 at 11:22 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a business model that's doomed to failure.

How much does the NBA get for rights when they sell to a channel in another country? You have to think they'd make more money by selling the broadcasting rights for somewhat less, plus selling individual broadband subscriptions, just like they do in the U.S.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

How much does the NBA get for rights when they sell to a channel in another country? You have to think they'd make more money by selling the broadcasting rights for somewhat less, plus selling individual broadband subscriptions, just like they do in the U.S.

EXACTLY!

Pull your head out of your arse, NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dammit no Canada!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh?

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dammit no Canada!!

canada already offers nba league pass through rogers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    canada already offers nba league pass through rogers

that's true, that's on the east coast.. out here in vancouver we have "shaw" cable and the closest thing is raptors tv

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oh damn that sucks, I forgot the west coast has different cable companies than the east.

look at the brightside, at least you're getting better weather than we are! (assuming you live in BC)

Spurs Artist
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And if any NBA staffers come across this thread, your service to international fans is APPALLING!
    Agreed.

I don't understand the business model? Especially when every second word out of David Sterns mouth is about the importance of the international audience?

Open the damn game up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's a no brainer. Which coincidentally is exactly what I think o the NBA's media experts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    until this announcement you couldn't get LP BB here either. I wonder what changed? If the IP agreements can change here, surely they can be changed across the globe.
    I'm not sure something has changed. NBA LP broadband is something new (it should be about one year old). IMO, the reason why it wasn't available before in Australia is just that the NBA has taken some times to extend it to foreign countries.
    Does ESPN Australia only show games that are on ESPN USA ?
    If it's the, it's could explain why it's available in Australia because ESPN games aren't available on LP.

And I agree that the NBA should re-work contracts with foreign TV channels and sold NBA LP broadband worldwide. Changing these contracts isn't maybe easy to do but I hope that, when a current contract will expire, the new one will allow the NBA to sell NBA LP in this country.

It will be a good thing but not the only thing to do. LP doesn't work during playoffs. I have the feeling that the NBA sold his rights to channels that give it more money and not to channels with the more exposure. IMO, it's not the best thing to do in the long term. Building a big fan base is the first thing to do. At first you earn less money but you could earn way more money when the fan base is big enough.
    In France, NBA playoffs are on a couple of channels that are very expensive. If you want to follow nba playoffs, it costs you $500 each year. Not a lot of people have these channels and when they have it, it's not because they show nba games but because they show soccer and movies. It's a nice way to screw a development in Europe.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure something has changed. NBA LP broadband is something new (it should be about one year old). IMO, the reason why it wasn't available before in Australia is just that the NBA has taken some times to extend it to foreign countries.
    Does ESPN Australia only show games that are on ESPN USA ?
    If it's the, it's could explain why it's available in Australia because ESPN games aren't available on LP.
    AFAIK, espn shows the same NBA programming in australia as they do in all of latin america and Asia, which is about 50% of what ESPN shows on US national tv. Not sure about europe. Considering the influx of players from these regions, the logical thing would be to offer the service in all of the regions (south america, oceania, and asia).
    The only place in latin america i know they show anything more is in argentina, where a local channel bought some rights and i believe they are offering League pass through directv. We have directv in chile but no league pass. I can understand a cable company not being willing to s out the money for rights on programming that wont be bought by many customers,

But the whole point of the NBA broadband is that it doesnt require special infrastructure. US residents who have it will post links that people all over the world use without problem. So what's the hang up? just use email for customer service and english as your language, its not like most NBA fans arent already exposed to the english language. I would think most of the market is expatriate americans anyway. Really, there is no excuse for it.

OTOH, if they wont show anything on league pass during the playoffs, it becomes pretty worthless. The espn coverage i was talking about earlier only goes up to the conference finals, then leaves you in the dark for the finals. The nba is basically forcing foreign customers to use pirate channels, or to become a suns fan (since you wont get past the conference final )

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The nba is basically forcing foreign customers to use pirate channels, or to become a suns fan (since you wont get past the conference final )
    some weeks they shown some ugly games, can you imagine the audience for a bobcats' game?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah still nothing for France... gotta use hacked LP links even though I would gladly pay 100€ a year for the official version

In France, NBA playoffs are on a couple of channels that are very expensive. If you want to follow nba playoffs, it costs you $500 each year. Not a lot of people have these channels and when they have it, it's not because they show nba games but because they show soccer and movies. It's a nice way to screw a development in Europe.
    C'est bien vrai et c'est pour ça que je m'abonne pas à Canal, pas envie de payer alors que je vais pas regarder la moitié du contenu...
    Par contre 500$ l'année c'est un peu fort. Tu comptes tout jusqu'à la consommation électrique pour le décodeur?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Par contre 500$ l'année c'est un peu fort. Tu comptes tout jusqu'à la consommation électrique pour le décodeur?
    $500 sounds crazy but I don't think I'm exaggerated.
    Canal+ is a really expensive channel. It's 32€ ($45) per month. You should also have sport that cost 5€ ($7) per month. The prize for one year is about $650 but I've said $500 because you always have some discount.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah still nothing for France... gotta use hacked LP links even though I would gladly pay 100€ a year for the official version

Same here in Germany. The only way to watch games lagl is Pay TV - but they are only showing 2 games live a week and mostly Dallas. And who wants to see the Mavs???

ian is our savior Magic_Johnson's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I live in France.
    I have an account on nba.com.
    I didn't pay anything but i can watch "live" all the games with the league pass, is it normal? or is it just in the begining?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I live in France.
    I have an account on nba.com.
    I didn't pay anything but i can watch "live" all the games with the league pass, is it normal? or is it just in the begining?
    It's not normal. NBA LP broadband is full of bugs and you often can watch things that you shouldn't be able to.

The NBA makes little effort to secure that feature and with the lack of repression against people that provide nba games in a illegal way, I start to wonder why they didn't fight against that. It could be because it's something really marginal for the moment. It could also be because a foreign fan that watch illegally nba games don't allow the nba to make money but he buys jerseys and he could one day pay to watch nba games.

Thread Information