My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Balloon Juice

The NY Times is reporting that William F. Buckley has died. Probably heart-broken at what his party has become.
    As always with obits, if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.

*** Update ***

Link to the NY Times Obit added. I really am sad.

*** Update #2 ***

Watching the right-wing lunatics who destroyed conservatism wrapping themselves up in Buckley’s cold, dead embrace over the next few weeks will be disgusting. Start here, where K-Lo asserts she and the band of frothing brothers at NRO will continue Buckley’s “work”, and then read Malkin. And yes, you are reading Malkin correctly- she did just take the death of one of society’s most privileged members of the last century and use it to… declare that conservatives are victims.

These people are a disgrace and a sick joke.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably heart-broken at what his party has become.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Balloon Juice

The NY Times is reporting that William F. Buckley has died. Probably heart-broken at what his party has become.
    As always with obits, if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.

*** Update ***

Link to the NY Times Obit added. I really am sad.

*** Update #2 ***

Watching the right-wing lunatics who destroyed conservatism wrapping themselves up in Buckley’s cold, dead embrace over the next few weeks will be disgusting. Start here, where K-Lo asserts she and the band of frothing brothers at NRO will continue Buckley’s “work”, and then read Malkin. And yes, you are reading Malkin correctly- she did just take the death of one of society’s most privileged members of the last century and use it to… declare that conservatives are victims.

These people are a disgrace and a sick joke.
    Looks like someone is using death to attack his opposition.

2nd Verse Same as the 1st Oh, Gee!!'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like someone is using death to attack his opposition.

death is an effective way to attack one's opposition.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Buckley's body of written and spoken work is a national treasure. Friend and foe alike marveled at his style and skill in debate; not to mention his ability to dust off obscure parts of the English language and put those into good use.

He seemed to be dismayed with the direction the current administration had taken. Had it been known by the administration that the evidence it presented to the nation and world to justify the invasion of Iraq was bogus, then he thought an impeachment was warranted.

Buckley infuriated and attracted his opponents. But he was no doctrinaire conservative. This of course was owing to his thought process rather than blind loyalty to a particular party or political movement. He supported the decriminalization of marijuana and entertained the notion of some kind of compulsory national service. He had an independent streak which served him well, be it from his publication of God and Man at Yale, his founding of National Review, and his campaign for the mayorship of New York City. He did have a large hand in the conservative movement which paved the way for the Reagan presidency.

It's a shame that today those who would elevate political discourse are kicked to the curb in favor of the Limbaughs, Olbermanns, Frankens, O'Reillys, Coulters, Moores, and other flotsam and jetsam currently regarded as worthwhile political commentators. Once upon a time Buckley would duke it out with the Galbraiths, Mailers, and Schlesingers of the left. But following those engagements required mental exertion.

Buckley will be missed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a shame that today those who would elevate political discourse are kicked to the curb in favor of the Limbaughs, Olbermanns, Frankens, O'Reillys, Coulters, Moores, and other flotsam and jetsam currently regarded as worthwhile political commentators. Once upon a time Buckley would duke it out with the Galbraiths, Mailers, and Schlesingers of the left. But following those engagements required mental exertion.

Buckley will be missed.
    Hear hear! It's truly amazing with where we are now that it seems we are so busy (distracted) that sound bytes subs ute for dialogue and debate.

Thread Information