Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran ManuTim_best of Fwiendz's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's great. Barry's right about Pop; poor reporters .

You people's hatred of McDonald borders on childish.
    Are you related to Jeff McDonald?

...or did you know him in high school?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is far too witty for some of those NO beat writers, I assume.

One Bad Ass MoFo SouthTexasRancher's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pop is the Bill Parcells of Basketball.

- Mars
    Actually, Pop (4 NBA Championships from 1999-2007) is a whole lot like Chuck Noll was with the Pittsburgh Steelers (4 Super Bowl Championships from 1974-1980). Intensity, X's & O's, instilling the team concept and total prep for the opponent are hallmarks of excellent coaches. Chuck, like Pop could/can be both scary and funny with the media but, both could/can only put up with so much media stupidity before ending the interview. Let's just hope that Pop gets one more ring & trophy this year to top Noll's 4.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pop pops pop.

I Am Jack's Smirking Revenge atxrocker's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    so pops a in interviews and somehow manages to come across as a comedic genius to spurs fans? pretty great humor.

Veteran ManuTim_best of Fwiendz's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so pops a in interviews and somehow manages to come across as a comedic genius to spurs fans? pretty great humor.
    Depends on your humor sensibilities.
    He's pretty much an ass (especially on ESPN's inside track stuff)
    But those examples can test anyone's patience. He's just one of those 'cut-the-bull ' kinda guys. Pop's got a dry wit, that some can appreciate but he's not the most charismatic guy .

Some people bring it upon themselves though, (stupid questions, etc.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is great. I love his answers in Interviews.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he would have given jack a run for his money in playing col. nathan jessep.

needs a margarita
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's awesome!

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I love Pop, thats hilarious.

Pdt Spurs Nation France JP le Requin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

hey you have taken my picture with Da pop', it was in france for the weding of TP & eva...lol

THANK YOU BASED NEAL ClingingMars's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

- Mars

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>Theus

Home of the Brave curtismedellin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's just one of those 'cut-the-bull ' kinda guys. Pop's got a dry wit, that some can appreciate but he's not the most charismatic guy .
    Exactly, I always love the "during the game" interveiws. Some of the answers are priceless.

You can put Pop in the same interveiw catagory as Bill Parcells and Bobby Knight.

For the love of Duncan bigfundamental21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love to watch interviews with Pop. He comes up with some really great lines. Someone should put together a montage of all time greatest Pop interviews.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Pop>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>Theus
    seconded

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's been a lot of criticism of Pop for sticking with a game 1 & 2 game plan -- having Bruce cover CP3 most of the time -- that was solid, only for two things: Timmy has obviously been under the weather, and Manu has been playing at only about 80% because of ankle (plus -- let's hand it to the Hornets, they were on a roll). Lest anyone forget, the Spurs play an ultimate example of team D, based upon the principle of funneling ball handlers directly into the team's nine-time all-NBA defensive player. In other words, no matter how good Bruce's one-on-one perimeter D is, it doesn't work if the big guy behind you is suffering from the flu.

That said, game 3 was obviously different not only because Manu started and Bruce had Peja covered, but also because Tim was obviously more energetic and active in the paint. But the way I look at it, no way West and Peja would have gotten into such great rhythms in the first two games if the Spurs were full strength.

Tomorrow's game, presumably the Spurs will be much readier physically. I can see Pop playing it safe in the beginning, continuing the same strategy that helped them blow the Hornets apart in the second half of game 3. Nevertheless, I'll stick to my guns by saying that Pop's strategy was sound in the first two games, but it wouldn't have mattered what they did because Timmy was so weak.

The great thing about the Spurs, of course, is they make no excuses. If the Hornets win tomorrow, it will be because they earned it. But chances are, they will find that the Spurs led by a fully recovered Duncan are a way different team than the one they've seen in the first three games.
    Last edited by oboymeetsogirl; 05-10-2008 at 01:45 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my favorite quote from Pop to Craig Sager:

"How can you wear that suit and call yourself a professional?"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That was so funny! Pop's a riot and I don't feel sorry for those guys at all. I get this same type of treatment at work, too. I find myself repeating things at work regularly. It's like "didn't they hear me the first time or even the second?" People are so concerned with what they are doing that they fail to pay attention to what's going on around them.

God help these reporters if he gets an Abe Lemons sense of humor to go with his sarcasm. Now that man was truly hilarious.
    Last edited by nfg3; 05-10-2008 at 02:10 PM. Reason: spelling

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love how Pops handles the media.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm waiting for Pop to hit us with an epic one liner...something that will go down in the history books. A little "they are who we thought they were!" would be nice.

"...and we let 'em off the hook!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    isn't that the reason why Pop conducts pre-interview postgame comments to answer the obvious questions in the first place?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's some more great humor from Pop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE3PkC5wwS0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is very nice if you don't ask stupid questions. He just doesn't have a lot of patience with people who a) don't listen b) don't have a clue.

He always starts his media sessions with some opening comments about the game. He gets infuriated when the sequence goes like this...

"I think we played a really good defensive second half. We kept the pressure on them. Bruce did a really good job denying Peja the ball. He got in space and pestered him .. that's what Bruce does. On offense, Manu and Tony stayed aggressive. I thought we got a little stagnant early in the game but the ball movement picked up in the second half."

First Question: "Can you tell me what you thought of Bruce's defense on Peja?"

It happens almost every single game. I don't know if the reporters don't listen to the opening comments because they are concentrating so hard on what they are going to ask or what.

Tonight in the postgame, something very similar to this happened to Tony. One of the first questions was asking about the experience factor. Tony answered the question completely. Two questions later, another reporter asks the exact same freakin' question.

Tony is learning from Pop by his reaction:

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/...sas_080511.asx

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I already answered that sorry

Thread Information