Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.usatoday.com/community/pr...c-5e117a62c0e0

NEW ORLEANS—San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich possesses one of basketball’s best minds. He is thoughtful and insightful.

And he does not suffer fools gladly.

So if you’re a member of the media, you’d better ask a question with merit. The San Antonio media know this.

Apparently that’s not the case with everybody in the Big Easy press corps.

At yesterday morning’s shootaround session, somebody asked about Tim Duncan only scoring five points in Game 1.

“If you double-team somebody, that person’s not going to get all the shots they might want,” Popovich said. “If we decided to double-team Chris Paul every time, he’s probably going to give it up a little bit and not get his points.”

“So that means you’re going to double-team Chris Paul every time he touches it?” asked veteran San Antonio Express-News writer Mike Monroe. “That was joke, by the way.”

“That’s why I ignored it—because it wasn’t very funny,” Popovich said with humor.

But that humor evanesced when a local reporter asked him if he thought the Hornets would continue to dare the Spurs to shoot 3-pointers.

POP: “I don’t know. You’ll have to ask them.”

SEMI-CLUELESS MEDIA PERSON: “That’s kind of what they did in the first game.”

POP: “They did a lot of things well.”

NEW ORLEANS RADIO GUY: “Will you try to change up your defenses on David West at all tonight?”

POP: “Right. We’re going to probably do four or five things you’ve never seen before in basketball.”

NEW ORLEANS RADIO GUY: “I sense sarcasm.”

POP: “That’s correct. We’re going to spend the afternoon inventing the light bulb. Those CFLs (compact fluorescent lamps), a lot of people are having problems with them, so we’re going to think of something different.”

SEMI-CLUELESS MEDIA PERSON: “Do you have any words for Hugo, the mascot, by any chance?”

POP: “Who?” (media laughter)

(Someone chimes in, “the guy who jumped through the fire.”)

POP: “Why would you ask me that?”

The media is laughing now, but I sense Popovich doesn’t think this is all that funny.

TRYING-TO-BE HELPFUL LOCAL MEDIA PERSON: “Talking about the ring of fire.”

POP: “Hopefully that’s over with. We all know it wasn’t a great move. We all make mistakes.”

SAME GUY WHO ASKED ABOUT DEFENDING DAVID WEST: “Do you think you might try to use (Bruce) Bowen on David a little bit tonight?”

Ohmigod. This is going to set him off…

POP: “That’s a good idea! Look at this guy right here! He’s got all kinds of ideas! Let’s do that! What’s he gonna do, get 30? Maybe we’ll put Bruce on him. Bruce weighs, what 90 pounds? He’ll just knock the (bleep) out of him. That’ enough. You guys are terrible…”

End of interview.

That evening, in Byron Scott’s pregame meeting with the media, local reporters asked Scott for advice on “how to talk to Pop.”
    “That’s one thing I can’t answer,” Scott says.

When the San Antonio media met with Popovich before the game, they asked him about the morning session.

“It’s a flaw,” Popovich said. “I should be less judgmental and more accommodating to ignorant questions.”

I told him it actually turned out way more entertaining that the typical coach-speak deal we usually get. “And you worked a CFL in there. I had to Google that to find out what you’re were talking about.”

Said Jeff McDonald of the San Antonio Express-News, “Yeah, I was trying to figure out what the Canadian Football League had to do with any of it.”

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wtf, I put 2 G's in "Gregg" in the thread le.......seriously

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Said Jeff McDonald of the San Antonio Express-News, “Yeah, I was trying to figure out what the Canadian Football League had to do with any of it.”
    Why does this not surprise me at all?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You people's hatred of McDonald borders on childish.

THANK YOU BASED NEAL ClingingMars's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pop is the Bill Parcells of Basketball.

- Mars

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oh pop just doesnt have much patience with the media

THANK YOU BASED NEAL ClingingMars's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You people's hatred of McDonald borders on childish.
    yeah, something here I really never understand...guess its a local thing?

- Mars

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL popovich one of a kind

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is very nice if you don't ask stupid questions. He just doesn't have a lot of patience with people who a) don't listen b) don't have a clue.

He always starts his media sessions with some opening comments about the game. He gets infuriated when the sequence goes like this...

"I think we played a really good defensive second half. We kept the pressure on them. Bruce did a really good job denying Peja the ball. He got in space and pestered him .. that's what Bruce does. On offense, Manu and Tony stayed aggressive. I thought we got a little stagnant early in the game but the ball movement picked up in the second half."

First Question: "Can you tell me what you thought of Bruce's defense on Peja?"

It happens almost every single game. I don't know if the reporters don't listen to the opening comments because they are concentrating so hard on what they are going to ask or what.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crap that is hilarious^^^

Never Forget David HighLowLobForBig-50's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thats funny kori.
    i still say mcdonald , monroe ,and finger are all > than harvey

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love watching Pop make the media look like the ing idiots they are. Awesome.

Never Forget David HighLowLobForBig-50's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah hes pretty raw when mic'd up on a nat tv game and havin to talk somebody he dont want to talk to

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For once, just once, I want to see Duncan/Manu/Horry do the post-game interview after a big win and say "Yeah, it was pretty good for an old, nonathletic, dirty, boring team."

Then just walk off leaving the interviewer speechless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol that was funny

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always was wondering why on press conferences are such "boring" questions.
    And mostly about the same thing.

Local media, like Don Harris (exc) knows Pop and the conversation on the interview is quite intresting.

I always loved how Pop handled that media stuff.

"You gonna write stories..." (I don't give a )

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love watching the press conferences, when a guy asks a stupid question, you just know pop's gonna get pissed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What i will never understand is the quality of the questions they ask. These people act like they've been in the business for days instead of years. I could randomly pick 5 posters from this forum (other than SD21) who would ask questions that we all want to know and that Pop would be willing to answer.

They all seem so inept and their questions so redundant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

new orleans media corps got owned.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kori would you ask Pop what kind of tree he would be if he was a tree? Thanks, in advance

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pop is the Bill Parcells of Basketball.

- Mars

Tha's exactly what I've always thought. Except when Parcells was young he had more at ude than Pop has ever had.

I remember after a loss by the Giants Parcells getting this big sneer on his face and then putting his hand over the camera and telling them to get that effin camera out of his face. Was pretty funny...it was supposed to be a post game interview put they picked the wrong time to try and interview him.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I think Pop has one over on Parcells.

Thread Information