Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice stuff....but don't forget the K-lite codec pak

Don't fret about missing codecs again...

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...codec_pack.htm
    vim is great. It's been my #1 text editor for years regardless of what operating system I use. It's my tool of choice for writing papers, web pages, s scripting, or writing small C programs.

- ffmpeg is the best tool for converting audio, video
    - vlc is the most versatile media player I've ever found, though mplayer's not bad
    - KLite codec pack will ensure you can play any type of video at will on a Windows box
    - Eclipse is far and away the best java development environment
    - Visual Studio Express is free for Windows coders now, and their C++ development environment/debugger is top notch
    - for Linux, Gentoo has become very solid. I used to use LFS, but as Linux has grown, it has become pretty unmanageable the last couple of years (especially now with 64-bit and 32-bit libraries in parallel). Fedora sucks IMO... it tries to force the user into using only open src software, and has no mp3 or dvd support out of the box.
    - teTeX (*NIX) and MikTeX (Windows) are great for creating mathematical do ents.
    - If you have a TV capture card on Windows, DScaler is an awesome viewer. Still haven't had a lot of success with MythTV in *NIX though.
    - fceu is the best Nintendo emulator; MAME is great for arcade games (ie, Ninja Turtles, Street Fighter 2, Ms Pacman)
    - iDump is a great Windows tool to get music from your iPod onto your hard drive

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone have suggestions on free mp3 taggers? Almost everything is commercial or try-before-you-buy. I need to tag hundreds of mp3s, still haven't found a good program.
    for organizing my mp3s I use a program called The Godfather

http://www.cyberpunk.gr/tgf/
    Last edited by kukjavel; 06-07-2008 at 08:30 PM. Reason: added link

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Recommendations that have been mentioned already:
    - avast! 4 Home Edition
    - 7-Zip
    - Blender
    - Vim/gVim
    - Adobe Reader
    - OpenOffice
    - The GIMP
    - Opera
    - foobar2000 (it's true, the default appearance isn't great, but you can modify it to meet your needs. I only recently started using foobar2000, but here is my current setup which I really like)

In addition, I recommend the following applications (I'm using Windows XP):
    - ”Torrent - bittorrent client
    - Bulk Rename Utility - program for--you guessed it--bulk renaming your files and folders
    - CDBurnerXP - CD/DVD burning application (I just started using it, so I'm not very familiar with it, but it seems like a solid, free alternative)
    - Celtx - media pre-production software (screenplays, stageplays, planning, etc.)
    - Console - a good alternative to Windows' Command Prompt
    - EasyTAG - the best tagger I have used, but you will also need the GTK+ Runtime Environment (stick to EasyTAG version 2.1 (stable)--I had problems with 2.1.5)
    - Exact Audio Copy - a very good CD ripper that requires a little more time to setup, but it's very reliable
    - FileZilla - ftp client
    - GOM Player - my favorite media player (mostly for video) because of some of its features, and especially its responsiveness to input (I like VLC, but it lags when using keyboard shortcuts and clicking on the progress bar area). Unfortunately, GOM Player doesn't include as many built-in codecs as VLC, so it's not the all-in-one solution, but it's worth a look
    - MediaCoder - a program for transcoding your media files (it supports an assload of formats)
    - TrueCrypt - encryption (especially useful for removeable media)
    - xplorerČ lite - I can't recommend this one enough. It's a very nice dual-pane file manager which has a great feel while keeping it simple. As a bonus, it also includes editorČ, a Notepad replacement--again, simple but solid
    Last edited by Borosai; 06-07-2008 at 10:29 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have to reccommend foobar2000 too... I use it and still trying to customize it... but I know how it can get once I finish.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    PC Wizard is a cool tool if you just installed windows on a PC that your not sure what brand Modem you have or motherboard,video card,etc...

Or if someone brings a notebook or desktop to you and you want to know what brand is the HD without having to crack it open.

It will also benchmark your PC to see where it is weak. And give you a chart on how it matches up with other brands.

You will know the CPU temperature,fan speed, and much more. Your tower may have a sticker that says Compaq and it has ATI but someone may have replaced it with another brand, and so on.......download it and get back to me on how you like it!

http://www.download.com/3001-2094_4-...5a4977cd187874

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another solid tagger is Mp3tag, which I'm currently trying out because EasyTAG has been coming up short lately--I guess the stable version is a bit outdated already. I still prefer certain details of EasyTAG's interface, but Mp3tag has its advantages as well.

Oh, and another good little application I'm using is MediaInfo, which gives you detailed information about your media files. It could use some polishing, but it does what it's supposed to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone have suggestions on free mp3 taggers? Almost everything is commercial or try-before-you-buy. I need to tag hundreds of mp3s, still haven't found a good program.
    iTunes lets you alter ID3 tags for mp3s. Just import your music into iTunes, and it will copy everything into the iTunes Music Folder and organize it into folders named by Artist, then Album.

In iTunes, choose the song you want to edit and press Command+I (Ctrl+I on PC) to open the song info and edit the information. You can select multiple songs by Command-clicking, or select groups of songs by Shift-Clicking for editing groups of music.

I've tried a lot of different programs, and I've found that once you give in and let iTunes do the hard work for you, it seems to work the best for me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yo mouse any benchmark applications you recommend???

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    - fceu is the best Nintendo emulator;
    no way. Nestopia is FAR superior.

Nestopia = King of NES emulators

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    i have a windows formatted ipod, but wish to put my music onto a friends mac.

any programs for that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I recently bought a Macbook Pro, and I am moving all of my files from 2 other PCs to it. Everything has went great, but all my videos play with quicktime on the mac, and I really don't like it. It can't play all of my movies. I am guessing that WMP wouldn't work on the mac. Any (free) solutions?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    also any free mp3 to wav convertors, or anything like that? and im not talking about ones that you only get 5 free conversions, and then you have to pay after that. that stuff pisses me off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I recently bought a Macbook Pro, and I am moving all of my files from 2 other PCs to it. Everything has went great, but all my videos play with quicktime on the mac, and I really don't like it. It can't play all of my movies. I am guessing that WMP wouldn't work on the mac. Any (free) solutions?
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    also any free mp3 to wav convertors, or anything like that? and im not talking about ones that you only get 5 free conversions, and then you have to pay after that. that stuff pisses me off.
    MediaCoder might be overkill, but it's worth a look (the link is in my first post on this page).

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Download Cool Edit Pro off thepiratebay.org.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys listed a bunch of good programs. Here's another cool text editor

Notepad++

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    P2P program?

Thank God I'm a country boy! djohn14's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guys I got to admit...I have no idea what yall are talking about...and im afraid to click on the links because I dont want to have to buy another computer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Miro - I haven't used it all that much yet, but I like what I've seen so far. It basically allows you to subscribe to video channels (some are more like video podcasts), but instead of streaming them, you download them to your computer (so it also functions as a media library for content you have downloaded). You can then continue to use it as a media player, or open the files directly with your preferred media player (through your file browser). You can also search for, and download, videos from sites such as YouTube and Dailymotion. And it has HD content as well. Just take a look at the site.

Lingoes Translator - I just finished installing and trying out this program, and I really like it. It's small and has a number of useful dictionaries available for downloading. Having these dictionaries on your system (as opposed to using online sources) means your results show up instantly, so it's better than searching online or through your browser shortcuts. It has nice features, but the best one is the Cursor Translator--just place your cursor over a word and use the mouse activation mode (mine is CTRL+MiddleMouseButton) to receive the definition/translation in a pop-up window. It's not intrusive at all, and it's very fast.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been using foobar and I think there is something wrong with the shuffle option. There must be some type of pattern because my brain knows which song is coming next about half the time. I've tried others since then to make sure I wasn't imagining things and the other shuffles were actually shuffled.

Don't know if I got a bad copy of foobar or if the shuffle option is fubar . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guys I got to admit...I have no idea what yall are talking about...and im afraid to click on the links because I dont want to have to buy another computer.
    I sorta feel that way too.

You won't like what I say DynastyBuilder's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For those who have a lot of passwords and want to keep them secure..

Online password manager: http://passpack.com/info/home/

Portable password manager: http://cygnusproductions.com/freeware/pc.asp

Miro - I haven't used it all that much yet, but I like what I've seen so far.
    Miro is very cool, been on it for a little while.
    Last edited by DynastyBuilder; 09-03-2008 at 07:29 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey does anyoen know how to tweak vista to run more efficiently or get rid of the stuff you dont need?

for example, how do i turn of that where it keeps on askin you for permission to open/install program, its pissin me off

You won't like what I say DynastyBuilder's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey does anyoen know how to tweak vista to run more efficiently or get rid of the stuff you dont need?

for example, how do i turn of that where it keeps on askin you for permission to open/install program, its pissin me off
    Here is a good article http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Speed_Up_Windows_Vista

A few more hacks http://www.tweakvista.com/VistaPerformanceTweaks.aspx

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have Frostwire, TVU, TVants, and Sopcast.

Thread Information