Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Has anyone been to school for this and is currently working in this field? If so what school did you go to? I am thinking about going to St. Philips for this since I already have a degree I am not interested in pursuing one just certification. I have no experience whatsoever just looking to get a better paying job since I am fed up with what I am doing now. Thanks.

Name
    Danny T
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    http://cis.sac.accd.edu/

I am in the process of enrolling at SAC and getting my certs for networking...check it out and go talk to them

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    I wish I knew how to make websites! My sister is paying 700.00 on her cheesy site as we speak. and if you go to Craig's list there are tons of folks who want web sites made.

It's Funny I started to advertise on Craig's list two months ago and I started to put my phone number on the topic line now everyone is doing it. Go to the computer service section and go 3 pages deep no one is using their phone number then I do it and they all chimed in.

Wanna kill all Humans? u2sarajevo's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I went to UT.

I have been in the industry for over 10 years now(CCIE, CCNA, MCSE, CNE(as if that matters anymore)). It is good to be diverse... but to be honest Microsoft will be where the bread and butter is on the server side. Cisco on the Networking (routers, switches - core , aggregate and edge). I know Linux but I can count the number of times I've had to use that knowledge on one hand (well..... I sometimes use knoppix for it's networking tools.... but that doesn't really require Linux "skills"). Not saying don't learn it... I just would think twice before making that a high priority. Get started and don't ever stop learning (because once you do the industry will pass you by).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I went to SAC for Computer NetWorking, one of the better programs out there, definately look into it .

(sac = san antonio college) just to be sure

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Then how come when someone posts "I need a website made" none of you chime in?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Although I could do it.... I'm not a developer at heart. I work on infrastructure, not building websites. I will script with Powers /VBS/Perl, etc.... but that is solely to make the mundane tasks of my job easy.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I went to SAC for Computer NetWorking, one of the better programs out there, definately look into it .

(sac = san antonio college) just to be sure
    Did you get a certificate or a degree?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I have no experience whatsoever just looking to get a better paying job since I am fed up with what I am doing now. Thanks.
    Are you thinking about taking over ST???

I'm tellin'!......................................KORI !!!!!!!!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Are you thinking about taking over ST???

I'm tellin'!......................................KORI !!!!!!!!
    Probably j/k just looking to make a career change.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Although I could do it.... I'm not a developer at heart. I work on infrastructure, not building websites. I will script with Powers /VBS/Perl, etc.... but that is solely to make the mundane tasks of my job easy.

That was a good answer. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass I was just curious why you wouldn't want to make some money on the side.

I wanted to ask you a question if you don't mind. Do you know anyone with a A+ certification and how did they get it. like on line? or did they have to pay, (any shortcuts?)

I downloaded this A+ certification it was like 4 DVDs it took almost a month. (well i had like 20 different sexploitation movies also)

anyway I forgot to put it on a HD when I flushed out my PC to sell to AngelLuv. But does the A+ really matter?
    thanks!

Last edited by mouse; 06-04-2008 at 01:17 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Mouse, I can't believe with all your talent, you can't set up websites, for fun & profit!!!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Setting up sites is easy. HTML and PHP is all you need to know. Or you can just use CMS like Drupal, Wordpress, Joomla...

Name
    Danny T
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

honestly dude all them certs he listed dont really mean that you can build a web page...but I just didnt get why he listed the CCNA cert when he has the CCIE...once you have the CCIE you have networking in the palm of your hands...

Name
    Danny T
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Did you get a certificate or a degree?
    now they have a degree program that they were trying to steer me in...but I was like nah man I just need the cert classes so that when I am done I can go to a testing center and pass the ...but they have both the degree route and the certs route. so they have me talking to the instructor to make sure I am "qualified" to just take the course and not have to go through all the A+ and network+ ...so we will see and if I get in next week I will let you know

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Mouse, I can't believe with all your talent, you can't set up websites, for fun & profit!!!
    Have you seen my apartment? In order to do a site you must have your together first. You really want to pay me to run your site?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Setting up sites is easy. HTML and PHP is all you need to know. Or you can just use CMS like Drupal, Wordpress, Joomla...
    Hey I downloaded Monster template and some program called easy website 123 I was wondering is the secret in knowing the codes?

I have yet to use any of the software I am to busy removing spyware from laptops, and reading the topics here @ ST

Name
    Danny T
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Have you seen my apartment? In order to do a site you must have your together first. You really want to pay me to run your site?

ed up thing is I was just at dudes pad tonight it still looks just like that...matter a fact them same movies was sitting on the table...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    That was you? I thought you was CID!

DannyT did come by tonight I showed him a Purple heart I got back in Namm
    but he did not see the obvious...........

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You want to be a sysadmin? well start here:

http://bofh.ntk.net/Bas _Indexes.html

and then continue here (start at the bottom):

http://www.theregister.co.uk/odds/bofh/

If don't find that funny, you might not be geeky enough for this line of work...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    mouse - Any certification will matter. Of course it would depend on the job you are looking for. A+ cert would indicate competency for a support role. Although I use cert tracks for keeping my knowledge not only up to date but top of mind, the fact that you can place those achievements on your resume will add relevancy to your positioning in the hiring process.

danny - I listed CCNA generally because that is a starting point for someone starting out in the industry and it's a highly recognized cert. And yes, following the same mold I should have listed MCP/CNA but did not(but generally I agree with you about listing certs that are implied by others).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I'm a Systems Administrator..........I went to school........I make good money........it sucks.

Thanks Career Point!!!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Did you reallly go to career point?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    now they have a degree program that they were trying to steer me in...but I was like nah man I just need the cert classes so that when I am done I can go to a testing center and pass the ...but they have both the degree route and the certs route. so they have me talking to the instructor to make sure I am "qualified" to just take the course and not have to go through all the A+ and network+ ...so we will see and if I get in next week I will let you know
    Sorry I about the late response how are the classes are they held during the day or do they have evening classes as well?

Thread Information