Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Optomistic but Realistic MrChug's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I really can't make the correlation here. If anyone knows, please post! Thanks!!!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    bad luck?

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    College
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    I don't know why, but I talk to them about it when I play COD4 late night. That and I tell them The Beatles suck. Gets em' all riled up.

Never Forget David HighLowLobForBig-50's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    i always thought it was a combo of bad dental habbits and the water over there

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I say!

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    College
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m.../18/do1802.xml

In Britain today, you can stuff yourself on deep-fried Mars Bars, drink 20 pints a night, inject yourself with heroin, smoke 60 cigarettes a day or decide to change your sex - and the NHS has an obligation to treat you. You might go on a waiting list, but it will do its best to cure your lung cancer, patch up your nose after a drunken brawl or give you a hip replacement. It doesn't charge for operations or beds; it may even throw in some half-edible food.

But if you have bad teeth, forget it. You may be rolling on the bathroom floor in agony with an abscess, your gums may be riddled with disease, or people may recoil at the sight of your fangs as you walk down the street, but the NHS doesn't have to help you.

It is now virtually impossible for many people to find an NHS dentist, and if they do manage to squeeze on to a list, they could still be charged 80 per cent of the cost of treatment - unless they are a child, pregnant or on benefits.

The health service under both the Tories and Labour has victimised the dentally challenged - that is, anyone who hasn't inherited strong teeth and a perfect picket fence smile. Few can easily afford to go to any dentist now. My husband went to a private dentist after a 15-year gap, and was left reeling after they extracted £2,000 for 12 fillings. My three-year-old son received a bill for £90 after I stupidly asked my private dentist whether she could have a quick look at his teeth.

A survey by Mori for the Citizens Advice Bureau this week found that seven and a half million Britons have failed to gain access to an NHS dentist in the past two years. In one quarter of the country, no NHS dentists are allowing new patients to join their lists. And despite government targets that every child should have his teeth seen by an expert every year, more than one in three children never see an NHS dentist.

Families such as mine, who have large, unruly teeth, have become part of a new genetic underclass, discriminated against by the state. If my parents had been forced to pay the dentist's bills when we were children, they would have gone broke. My teeth were so bad at the age of 13 that the head of orthodontics at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford heard about me, and took me on as a case history. Three years of tram tracks, elastic bands and the removal of eight teeth later, and I am a shining example of the orthodontist's art; but every time one of my children loses a milk tooth, I know it could cost far more than £1 for the tooth fairy.

The situation for adults is even worse. One friend, Victoria, was told that a crown would cost her £700 privately, the price of her summer holiday. The queue for an NHS dentist was so long that her tooth broke before it was treated and she had to spend £350 having it pulled out. She should have followed the example of the Wiltshire toothache sufferer who told the Citizens Advice Bureau that he now takes out many of his teeth in his shed - with pliers. More than one in 20 have said they resort to DIY surgery.

There is, of course, the option to go private, but with more and more former NHS patients forced to pay, dentists' charges are now the most expensive in Europe.

Having bad teeth can blight your life. Britain used to be known for its terrible incisors In Mexico, bad teeth are called "dientes ingles". But gradually we have caught up with America. Now bad teeth are now seen as unacceptably sloppy: no presenter would be allowed on children's television without a polished grin. Even Gordon Brown appeared to have had his teeth fixed before he became Prime Minister. As the public face of the nation's teeth has improved, so has the pressure on everyone else. As a country, we spend £360 million on cosmetic dentistry a year.

But there are increasingly two dental nations in Britain and those who can't afford the fees have worse teeth than ever before. With bad teeth, you are less likely to find a good job or a successful relationship. The elderly, in particular, can find their lives racked by toothache and an inability to eat properly. Gum disease also increases the risk of mouth cancer, and pancreatic cancer in men.

This is a deep-rooted problem that needs a drill taken to it. The Government should start by scrapping the new contract that it introduced for dentists in 2006. Dentists are now paid a fixed fee, in exchange for completing a certain number of units of NHS dental activity a year: the net result is that idle dentists never get round to seeing enough patients - and their funding is subsequently reduced - and energetic dentists are forced to look to the private sector for more work after they fill their quota. In 1990, only six per cent of dentists' income came from private patients; now it's 58 per cent. Worse, NHS dentists now receive the same amount of money for six fillings as for one, so there is no incentive to take on complex cases.

Our dentists are trained at a cost of £175,000 by the NHS, so they should be expected to work within the sector for a number of years. And we need more of them. America has twice as many per head as does Poland - half of whom are here. Britain only has 3.7 dentists per 10,000 people. Even if you find an NHS dentist, it's not all smiles: the cost of a filling has gone up from £14 to £43 in the past few years. The NHS budget has doubled in the past decade while dentistry decayed. The Government has finally started filling the financial gap but, as usual it has gone on bureaucracy.

Healthy teeth used to be seen as a sign of a modern society. Now because of our first-world diets and third-world dental care, we have 19th-century teeth. Britain has to take its teeth seriously again or we will soon be back to wooden dentures.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Nationalized health care folks.

Thats what Barack wants to do, and look at what a cluster it is in England.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You won't even be able to keep yo teef! They will give them to the less fortunate!!!!

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    College
    Alabama Crimson Tide

I don't really want to debate natl. healthcare in here, but the begining gist of the article was that it works out in nearly all instances, including bar fights and drug overdoses, besides dental care.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This is one reason half the Islamic world is immigrating to the UK, France, Holland, and Germany. Social services! They're not all that great, but it's better than the majority would get in their native countries.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This is one reason half the Islamic world is immigrating to the UK, France, Holland, and Germany. Social services! They're not all that great, but it's better than the majority would get in their native countries.
    Those suckers are missing out on some great health care and edumacation over here mang!

Sincerely,
    Your friendly neighborhood illegal! ayayay

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans

The situation for adults is even worse. One friend, Victoria, was told that a crown would cost her £700 privately, the price of her summer holiday. The queue for an NHS dentist was so long that her tooth broke before it was treated and she had to spend £350 having it pulled out.
    Vacation or my health? Hmmm....

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Vacation or my health? Hmmm....
    Meaningless vacations or a nice retirement. The choice is made daily.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    GB was the sugar consumption capitol of the world before we were.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Real Answer: During infancy, instead of a bottle they get a pint, and instead of a pacifier they get a cig.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I don't know why, but I talk to them about it when I play COD4 late night. That and I tell them The Beatles suck. Gets em' all riled up.

This is mature on so many levels.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    College
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    This is mature on so many levels.

Hey man, didn't claim it was mature. Besides, I only wear a headset maybe 10% of the time anyway and I'm usually not pre-emptive about rousting people. Late at night though those British s like to run their mouths and I'm usually in the right mood at about 3 AM to talk a little .

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    Name
    5 letters long
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    listen to Pink Telephone from Deftones latest disc.

ATRAIN is gay peewee's lovechild's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish

$1 U.S. = 2 English pounds.

What the are you talking about?

Their economy is much stronger than ours. We're in a cluster thanks to your precious party.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I suppose the British are genetically predisposed to bad teeth.

Che cazzo stai dicendo? DisgruntledLionFan#54,927's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    $1 U.S. = 2 English pounds.
    You have it backwards.

$1 GBP = $2 US

Optomistic but Realistic MrChug's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I suppose the British are genetically predisposed to bad teeth.
    THATS IT!! Thank you all for your input but ES FTW.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Wasn't much different here in the U.S. pre-flouridation.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    THATS IT!! Thank you all for your input but ES FTW.
    The British are also genetically predisposed to greater mammary size in their females. It's an interesting case study to see how they have diverged genetically from German Saxons in the past 1500 years.

P.S. The pedantic tone above was intentionally affected in order to avoid the appearance of prurience.

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    Name
    5 letters long
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The British are also genetically predisposed to greater mammary size in their females.
    nice

Thread Information