Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That kind of sucks though if it's true. That probably means les/series before that and after that were rigged too (maybe ours?).
    Because the NBA would want the larger market Knicks, Nets, and Pistons to lose, not to mention the LeBrons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ....the NBA Lottery is fixed too...

January Championship Banner? td4mvp21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because the NBA would want the larger market Knicks, Nets, and Pistons to lose, not to mention the LeBrons.
    Well it doesn't make sense to me but why would only one series/ le be rigged and not others?

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    I've been saying this for years.....Stern has got to resign immediately and the FEDS need to do a serious house cleaning in the NBA front offices.....

i agree stern needs to be gone, can we have real basketball please?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i agree stern needs to be gone, can we have real basketball please?
    We do, but we've just been getting it every other year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stern is a fool for being so candid in past about not wanting the Spurs to ever be in the Finals, like when some interviewer asked him one time who he wanted to see in the Finals, and he replied, "Lakers vs. Lakers". He did a nice job of making himself a target for all these conspiracy theorists. Whether or not he's a part of the corruption, tha kind of blatant partiality towards one team has/will not help him out in any way as far as his credibiltiy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know what upsets me the most is when I hear analyst on radio shows or broadcasters speak how stars can get a call that no ref would dare call for a rookie. A foul is a foul and that's how they should call it regardless of experience. , I just heard it yesterday from Erik Kuselias talking about how Kobe got a foul called on him that he normally wouldn't get called. The foul was on Kobe going through a pick. It was the right call but the fact that an analyst had to bring up the point about calls being called on a star has to tell you something is definitely wrong (ESPN and Stern at fault). I just hate how the game has gone to , especially with those respect calls.

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Game 7 of the 2000 Blazers-Lakers series was highly su ious.
    Not even close to as su ious of Game 1 of the 2003 Lakers-*purs series.

Hunker down you hairy Dawgs! romad_20's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duh the league is corrupt and fixed....

http://www.disinfo.com/archive/pages...pg1/index.html

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    You didn't have to tell me that game was rigged. Worst officiated game ever. The play I remember most is when Kobe Bryant blatantly elbowed Mike Bibby in the face on an inbounds pass, and they called Bibby for the foul.

Did you miss Games 2 and 5 of that series?

Game 5 featured the Queens "game winner" after a ball off Webber was incorrectly ruled to be off LA. This after Kobe was fouled by Bobby Jackson (who ripped Kobe's jersey completely out) on the shot right before that would have put the game away.

I have debunked the Game 6 fix theory 1,000 times at least, not one Queens fan has ever been able to show more than 1 bad call in that 4th quarter and certainly that game doesn't even approach the blatant fix we saw in Boston in Game 2 of this series. Not even close.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So when the supposed incompetence or corruption of officials benefits LA, it's a matter to be debunked; when the supposed incompetence or corruption of officials hurts LA, it's conclusively established that the league is fixing games -- a theory that cannot conceivably be debunked.

Why is that take from Lanny not at all surprising?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the league promoting the Globalization of the NBA, the Spurs were the poster team for them during those times.
    Oh please stfu.

Veteran ManuTim_best of Fwiendz's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a good source for vindication for fans who ed about the conspiracy theories/favoritism for Lakers/Star Players.
    Maybe they'll finally start improving the credibility of the officiating in the years to come, now that people from the inside are calling attention to it.

I hope there comes some big changes in improving the standards and reputation of the NBA, because it really s over the quality of the game. Too bad it's coming out just now, and not sooner. That game 4, no foul call was BIG!
    Allowing Joey Crawford to officiate Spurs games sucked as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been saying/blogging something similar for years when this subject comes up. As a kid I remember the commercials for the NBA in the '60s and '70s were about the Celtics vs Lakers or Knicks vs Sixers. But starting in the '80s it was Bird vs Magic or Jordon vs Dominique...etc - player vs player rather than team vs team. The emphasis changed in how to market the sport. I believe it all had to do with the Benjamins. The League saw the way out of the hole they were in and it involved marketing players over teams.

When the NBA was in the tank back in the late 70's they needed somethig - anything - to rekindle the interest that was being slowly sucked out of the league. Franchises were in financial trouble and the league attendance was absymal. Then came the NCAA finals in '79 with so to be known Bird and Magic. Interest in the game skyrocketed - could it be something to do with that white boy from Indiana State or the fact that now there was a [6'9" pg with the ability to pass like Cousey? Small school vs big school? Or maybe just that these two players were two of the best to come on the scene in decades. Your call. Both went to the NBA the next year and would you believe to Boston and LA, respectively. (Though there was some uber gamemanship on the part of Auerbach to obtain Bird the pervious draft that's not part of the point here or was there something going on with the league concerniig the rule about 4 year seniors and Larry being a 5th and thereby being draft eligible prioir to his senior year( he was 5 year senior having transfered from Indiana U and losing a year of eligibiliy? Who thought of that?) Maybe Bird going to Boston and Magic going to LA wasn't fixed but it sure did wonders for the league to have two of their storied franchises land such players. In order to bring back the fans they started to market the players and not the teams to build up interest.

So these players had to stay on the floor in order to make good on their marketing ploy. The fans paid good money to see certain players on the floor so fouls were limited against them. Then along came Jordan and the rest is history. By the early '90s I was starting to get the feeling that the NBA was entertainment first and sport second. I thought it was just me and I couldn't pin it down. So I blew it off. But now it seems plausibleat least to a certain degree. Maybe it does and then again maybe it doesn't but in light of what is going on it does seem to have some credibility. I'd hate to finally have proof that the NBA is rigged and on the same level as WWW or ECW. I sincerely hope that Donaghy turns out to be a rogue ref but as of now the NBA has a credibilty issue with many.

It's lack of consistency in officiating is terrible and frustrates me on a game to game basis. During the playoffs FWD used to start threads with the possible ref combos and the scenarios we could expect based on their past experience with the Spurs. We actually debated the pros and cons of each ref and how that would influence our chance for victory. I stat back and thought that this is incredible. We're taking into account the refs and their personnal tendencies, feelings towards the Spurs, whether they were "road" refs or "homers"...etc.

Once agian I hope this is an isolated situation but something tells me to stay tuned cus we ain't seen notin yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not even close to as su ious of Game 1 of the 2003 Lakers-*purs series.
    You'll have to try harder than that. This is looking very, very bad for your team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know what upsets me the most is when I hear analyst on radio shows or broadcasters speak how stars can get a call that no ref would dare call for a rookie. A foul is a foul and that's how they should call it regardless of experience. , I just heard it yesterday from Erik Kuselias talking about how Kobe got a foul called on him that he normally wouldn't get called. The foul was on Kobe going through a pick. It was the right call but the fact that an analyst had to bring up the point about calls being called on a star has to tell you something is definitely wrong (ESPN and Stern at fault). I just hate how the game has gone to , especially with those respect calls.
    I have een echoing that lineofr years. In the NFL do you hear broadcasters say, "Dallas is at home and will get the calls." Or, a top lineman is allowed to hold at home games? Or a superstar is given preferential treatment?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you, you piece of Stern

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    fixed

Banned
    My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    ....the NBA Lottery is fixed too...
    no

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joey Crawford = Tim Donaghy

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    get rid of the refs and let the players call their own fouls

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bulls fan disagrees with the fix in the lottery?

sssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhocking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Richard Buchanan, NBA Executive Vice President and General Counsel:

"According to Mr. Donaghy, all of his allegations have previously been made to the FBI and the U.S. Attorney, and they are clearly being disclosed now as part of his desperate attempt to lighten the sentence that will be imposed for his criminal conduct. The NBA remains vigilant in protecting the integrity of our game and has fully cooperated with the government at every stage of its investigation. The only criminal activity uncovered is Mr. Donaghy's."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Former NBA referee Tim Donaghy has claimed to federal investigators that officials altered the outcomes of playoff series in 2002 and 2005.

The disgraced Donaghy made the potentially damaging allegations in a court do ent filed by his lawyers Tuesday in Brooklyn Federal Court.

Donaghy, who pleaded guilty last August to charges of betting on NBA games that he officiated, accused other referees of inappropriate behavior, such as fraternizing with players and coaches. The NBA did not comment on the allegations.

Although he did not specify the teams involved, Donaghy cited an instance during the 2002 postseason in which referees conspired to extend a playoff series to seven games.

According to Donaghy, two referees acting as "company men" called made-up fouls against the team attempting to close out the series.

The do ents do not mention any particular teams. But the Los Angeles Lakers, who won the 2002 league le, rallied from a 3-2 series deficit to defeat the Sacramento Kings in the Western Conference finals.

Game Six of that series was marred by a controversial ending, as the Lakers attempted 27 fourth-quarter free throws en route to a 106-102 victory. The Kings, who shot just nine free throws in the fourth quarter, questioned the officiating in the aftermath of the contest.

Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal, who had complained about the officiating earlier in the series, made 13-of-17 free throws in the contest. Sacramento's Vlade Divac and Scot Pollard, who guarded O'Neal throughout the series, both fouled out in the game. Divac and Kings forward Chris Webber were both whistled for first-half technical fouls.

Donaghy also mentioned a series in 2005, when one team rallied from a 2-0 deficit to win in seven games. In that postseason, the Dallas Mavericks faced a 2-0 first-round hole against the Houston Rockets, prompting heated criticism from owner Mark Cuban.

After his team ultimately lost that series in seven games, Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy accused referees of unfairly targeting center Yao Ming at the request of Cuban. Van Gundy ultimately received a $100,000 fine, the largest in NBA history, before retracting his comments.

http://nationalpost.pa-sportsticker....3541213140202A

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bulls fan disagrees with the fix in the lottery?

sssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhocking.
    The Bulls were given the #1 draft pick in exchange for silence about the Pau Gasol trade, because they were front runners to get Gasol before the famous Jerry West special sent him to LA.

Thread Information