Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    I refuse to act with common decency spurscenter's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, Tim Donaghy said that the 2002 NBA Lakers-Kings series was fixed to let the Lakers win game 6 to push it to game 7. Lakers shot 27 free throws in the 4th quarter in that game.

This is all on SportsCenter right now. I bet Tim Donaghy comes out with a book once he is in jail with a tell all about all the games that were fixed.

I think a lot of us suspected this of the NBA, but DAMN.

At least we know that the NBA never wants the Spurs to win and our championships aren't tainted. And at least we know they will be fair now.

*by the Lakers 2002 championship.
    Tim Donaghy will become a hero.

securing the movie rights NOW!

draft bust
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then how do you exaplin the spurs getting two mvp big man in david and tim when they were need to LITERAL save the team from moving.
    along with lebron james to clevland?

there is no better case for the nba rigged then the spurs draft "luck"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Bulls were given the #1 draft pick in exchange for silence about the Pau Gasol trade, because they were front runners to get Gasol before the famous Jerry West special sent him to LA.
    It's all fair game now.

And I agree with the poster who talked about how the NBA became all about the player and not the team, unlike the other major team sports. It all goes back to that, no question.

Oh and I almost forgot: ing rigged ! I knew it!!!

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    well damnit sons its a shame that the NBA couldn't have used some Katrina sympathy to help get us a le this year. after all sons .... its all about the ratings.

there is NO DOUBT in my mind that the NBA fixes certain games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's so predictable that it's laughable. Doesn't mean that Lakers can overcome the superior team that is the Celts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not even close to as su ious of Game 1 of the 2003 Lakers-*purs series.
    LOL, WTF are you smoking??

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    The way this game 3 is being called this news doesn't surprise me. The NBA knows that if the Celtics win tonight the series ends at game 6 at the very latest. They want this series to go 7, but if it goes 5 they make less money.
    exactly son. you bring up another good point. the NBA will do everything in their power to extend ALL series to at least 6 games. preferably 7 ... more $$$$$$$$$$$

George Hill: 2-Guard NewJerSpur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BR, you wouldn't happen to be a former Houston Astros board member by the name of Colt would you? He too frequently used the term son to address other board members as you often do, that's why I wondered.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    BR, you wouldn't happen to be a former Houston Astros board member by the name of Colt would you? He too frequently used the term son to address other board members as you often do, that's why I wondered.
    LMAO son no I am not colt ... but I do remember that stupid son of a !

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Former NBA referee Tim Donaghy has claimed to federal investigators that officials altered the outcomes of playoff series in 2002 and 2005.

The disgraced Donaghy made the potentially damaging allegations in a court do ent filed by his lawyers Tuesday in Brooklyn Federal Court.

Donaghy, who pleaded guilty last August to charges of betting on NBA games that he officiated, accused other referees of inappropriate behavior, such as fraternizing with players and coaches. The NBA did not comment on the allegations.

Although he did not specify the teams involved, Donaghy cited an instance during the 2002 postseason in which referees conspired to extend a playoff series to seven games.

According to Donaghy, two referees acting as "company men" called made-up fouls against the team attempting to close out the series.

The do ents do not mention any particular teams. But the Los Angeles Lakers, who won the 2002 league le, rallied from a 3-2 series deficit to defeat the Sacramento Kings in the Western Conference finals.

Game Six of that series was marred by a controversial ending, as the Lakers attempted 27 fourth-quarter free throws en route to a 106-102 victory. The Kings, who shot just nine free throws in the fourth quarter, questioned the officiating in the aftermath of the contest.

Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal, who had complained about the officiating earlier in the series, made 13-of-17 free throws in the contest. Sacramento's Vlade Divac and Scot Pollard, who guarded O'Neal throughout the series, both fouled out in the game. Divac and Kings forward Chris Webber were both whistled for first-half technical fouls.

Donaghy also mentioned a series in 2005, when one team rallied from a 2-0 deficit to win in seven games. In that postseason, the Dallas Mavericks faced a 2-0 first-round hole against the Houston Rockets, prompting heated criticism from owner Mark Cuban.

After his team ultimately lost that series in seven games, Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy accused referees of unfairly targeting center Yao Ming at the request of Cuban. Van Gundy ultimately received a $100,000 fine, the largest in NBA history, before retracting his comments.

http://nationalpost.pa-sportsticker....3541213140202A
    I'd take back what i had said if they fined me that much. Unless I was a player making millions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMAO son no I am not colt ... but I do remember that stupid son of a !
    LOL. Small world....he was a funny guy at times. Nevertheless, just thought I'd check. Back to the subject at hand...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the league promoting the Globalization of the NBA, the Spurs were the poster team for them during those times. It would bring in doubt their les as well. Along with the officiating in this years finals. I said in the other thread, if the Lakers don't get the calls tonight, I will be a believer in the league being shaky.
    Right like the Spurs were the only ones with international talent. Why not Dirk- Germany, Nash- Canada?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you can tell JVG was scrambling to piece together his league-prompted thoughts. You know hes still totally pissed and only said what he had to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeff Van Gundy

You have diappointed me

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Isn't most of this common knowledge? Stars get preferential treatment from the refs? Shocker. Teams complain to the league about a particular player's first step and suddenly he gets called for traveling 20 times in a row (yes, Sean)? Incredible.

As for "globalization", perhaps. The Mavs did seem to get the favor of the whistle in '06.
    Are you ing kidding me?!? The Mavs got raped in 06...

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    sacramento got raped by the league and everybody ing knows it. initially i tried not to be too upset when i heard this but that. they singlehandidly ing robbed our franchises chance of a championship.
    But the Mavs didn't get screwed in 06 right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not like JVG was gonna flip his stack on natl tv, during his job to say 'I in told ya'll!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They also gave the Mavs many, many ticky-tack fouls in'06 to help dethrone the Spurs. I believe Barkeley spoke on it after the series ended.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They also gave the Mavs many, many ticky-tack fouls in'06 to help dethrone the Spurs. I believe Barkeley spoke on it after the series ended.
    Indeed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you can tell JVG was scrambling to piece together his league-prompted thoughts. You know hes still totally pissed and only said what he had to.
    I thought the exact same thing. The whole thing was bizarre. First making us watch that nauseating piece of how great Kobe is. Then putting the ref scandal piece at the end of halftime. Stuart Scott speaking in that monotone voice. Van Gundy very careful in what he said. He stated he did not want to say anything to support Donneghy. Very sanitized piece. Then the finale cutting to Stern who in his condescending way told us what a liar Donnegh is.

Nowhere was there any intelligent discussion of the games in question, etc.

Just amazing at the sugar coating that went on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeff Van Gundy

You have diappointed me
    Losing 100,000 will make you think twice. Stern is ready to steal money for truth being touched upon. Question is, are you willing to stake your families survival on it? Some value family more than basketball. I don't blame him. Stern is absurd.

draft bust
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought the exact same thing. The whole thing was bizarre. First making us watch that nauseating piece of how great Kobe is. Then putting the ref scandal piece at the end of halftime. Stuart Scott speaking in that monotone voice. Van Gundy very careful in what he said. He stated he did not want to say anything to support Donneghy. Very sanitized piece. Then the finale cutting to Stern who in his condescending way told us what a liar Donnegh is.

Nowhere was there any intelligent discussion of the games in question, etc.

Just amazing at the sugar coating that went on.
    I thought his comment that he didn't want to basicly endorse what tim said to be a very good point. Tim knows what past events people felt were controversial. That allows him to claim they were rigged. I wouldn't doubt the nba officals were friedly to teams either. That doesn't mean they changed the outcome of games on purpose for that team. However, the I didn't say a nba ref I said an nba offical and other comments were clearly self censorship.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The one thing that has to be considered is that if the league is fixed, then the Spurs les were likely fixed as well. It's difficult to escape that conclusion - are you really going to tell me that the league only fixes things part of the time? The conspiracy theories have always broken down with the Spurs. They could have been the golden boys/return to the team concept with the right marketing, and instead, they seem more likely to have been conspired against. Certainly, after the ratings and interest disaster of 2003, the NBA would much rather have had the Suns win the Conf. Finals. But the Spurs won in 5 (could have been a sweep, were it not for their typical lackadaisacal game).

Do I think that the NBA has had atrocious officiating? yes.

Do I think that officials could sway games? Mmmmm, yes. I think there are enough examples of games that have been decided by officials (one springs easily to mind) to say that can happen. Likewise, a team can roll on through and play so well that officials don't bother them (or the reverse - the favored team plays so poorly, the officials aren't really given the opportunity to subtly call against the opposing team). I don't see how anyone could argue that 2007 was fixed (apart from the interminable and stupid argument over the suspensions). LeBron beating the evil, dirty Spurs would have been better for national marketing.

Do I think there have been directives from Stern to the head of officials to call games a certain way? Not really. There are too many games/series that don't play into that scenario.

Yes, there are questionable games, and learning they were 'fixed' doesn't surprise me. Learning that it was league sanctioned would shock me a lot though.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    sons look at it like this. you are an NBA referee making $200,000 per year. damn good money. then some big shot out in Vegas offers you $500,000-$1,000,000 to make a few bad calls for ONE game in the finals. hmmmm

trust me sons. that happens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sons look at it like this. you are an NBA referee making $200,000 per year. damn good money. then some big shot out in Vegas offers you $500,000-$1,000,000 to make a few bad calls for ONE game in the finals. hmmmm

trust me sons. that happens.
    I'm inclined to believe that.

I don't like David Stern, and I think he makes a lot of mistakes, including not more publicly reviewing the officials or allowing for reversal of calls or instant replay in certain situations. I think he makes everything worse by hiding it all under a black cloak of mystery.

But the evidence doesn't support a league wide fix, not without reaching. But -- How is it that calls change depending who it is and where the clock is and which court it's on? There is too much room for the officials to mess with things and seemingly too little oversight of officials and crack-downs on people blatantly calling bad games.

There should be more public info - like, egregious bad calls results in a fine for the official. Something more than a belated public apology or refusal to admit anything beyond human error, when there is clearly something more than human error at work.

Thread Information