Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So spur fans only saw one game in the Lakers/Queens 2002 playoff series??
    Laker Nation works to get its story straight -- it's not that Game 6 was so bad for LA, it's that other games in the series were officiated even more obviously in favor of the Kings.

If only the rest of the world would stop to think about these things, it would see that Game 6 was about the most evenly-officiated game of that series -- indeed, it was perhaps the most evenly-officiated game in the history of the NBA!!

Yeah, that's it; that's the ticket.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    SHhhhhhh. Those games don't count.. it took 5 3/4 games for the memo to have the Lakers win to get to the refs.

Stomping on Laker haters Purple & Gold's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Laker Nation works to get its story straight -- it's not that Game 6 was so bad for LA, it's that other games in the series were officiated even more obviously in favor of the Kings.

If only the rest of the world would stop to think about these things, it would see that Game 6 was about the most evenly-officiated game of that series -- indeed, it was perhaps the most evenly-officiated game in the history of the NBA!!

WRONG!!! Queens got hosed in game 6. But Shaq got mugged the rest of the series with the refs swallowing their whistle, unless it was to call a foul on Shaq. Get your story straight Laker Hater.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Ya wonder what the Phoenix Suns fans are saying about these allegations of game fixing after last years playoffs.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Everyone's a whiny in this decade. Nobody stands up like a man anymore and accepts their fate. It's a mirror of society. When an outcome doesn't go your way, you complain and moan long enough, find a sympathetic judge, and you'll get the outcome that you want. This is not a knock on just Spurs fans. EVERY team has fans that complain about the refs and yell out conspiracy theories.

Stick with the scoreboard - it always tells the truth.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    SHhhhhhh. Those games don't count.. it took 5 3/4 games for the memo to have the Lakers win to get to the refs.
    Seriously Lakers got hosed the rest of the series. But you're right those games don't count.

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

You can't even name two specific bad calls in that 4th qtr

And answer my question, how many of the fouls committed by the Queens were intentional fouls?

If you don't know or can't answer that, how can anyone take your whining seriously? Don't answer, you are overmatched with me on this topic and we both know it.

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yes.. Stern of course wanted Sheed to win a le! The Conspiracy thickens!!! Sheed threatens refs... Stern hates sheed... Stern tells refs to let sheed get a ring! Stern wanted the Pistons to win so he could change the defensive rules too! Stern wanted the Lakers to lose so Shaq could go to Miami and LA could spend the next 4 years trying to get out of the first round.
    Way to dodge the question.

I ask you again, how come the Pistons (a jump shooting team) shot more FTs in every game of the series than a team with Shaq and Kobe on it? How is that possible?

And why won't you address the "jump ball violations"? We both know that was an obvious sign of what was to follow from the refs in the actual game, it was like a giant you to the Lakers from the officials at the start of every game.

There was nothing different on those taps than any other NBA jump ball, in any other game, any other year. Yet, we see it called an incredible four times in a row in four NBA Finals games. It is so far outside the statistical norm at to be the equivalent of finding a specific single pebble of sand on a huge beach.

Piston fan is generally a lowlife without much basketball knowledge so I doubt you have the wits to debate this subject with me. Throw out an insult, ignore my points and we will call it a day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You Spurs fans think that if David Sperm did not let Joey Crawford back in the league that he would have spilled his Guts to the world in the biggest Tell all Book story ever! Yes!

You think Donaughy has something to say, just think about Crawford and how much Underhanded he has seen in the last 30 years in the NBA. he probably knows how the Knicks got the no.1 pick for Patrick Ewing in 1985 in the first ever "Draft Lottery"
    Right.....Joey is going to tell all about the fixing he did.......so he can go to prison and get raped, beaten, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't even name two specific bad calls in that 4th qtr

And answer my question, how many of the fouls committed by the Queens were intentional fouls?

If you don't know or can't answer that, how can anyone take your whining seriously? Don't answer, you are overmatched with me on this topic and we both know it.
    Psshsh. You're the one thinking that guys like Gary Zielinski should be working Finals games.

And I'm not here to say that the officials hosed the Kings in Game 6 -- I never take that tack in assessments of any game.

My point, however, is that it's funny to see you and other Lakers fans who whine and kvetch and moan about the box score differential in FTA come to the defense of the officiating when that same phenomenon benefits LA. It strikes me as insanely hypocritical to be completely convinced that officiating is corrupt -- to the point of claiming entire games or series were fixed -- when things go poorly for your team while shouting down what appears to be one of the more likely instances of game-fixing (complete now with an assertion of same "from the inside") as an imagined thing.

Get your story straight -- if you're convinced that the league fixes games or series, are you truly denying the possibility that such fixes run to the benefit of your beloved Lakers?

As for whose assessments of NBA officiating are more credible in this forum, I'll stand on my record. I'm quite certain that I've spent substantially more time studying NBA officiating than you have.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Way to dodge the question.

I ask you again, how come the Pistons (a jump shooting team) shot more FTs in every game of the series than a team with Shaq and Kobe on it? How is that possible?

And why won't you address the "jump ball violations"? We both know that was an obvious sign of what was to follow from the refs in the actual game, it was like a giant you to the Lakers from the officials at the start of every game.

There was nothing different on those taps than any other NBA jump ball, in any other game, any other year. Yet, we see it called an incredible four times in a row in four NBA Finals games. It is so far outside the statistical norm at to be the equivalent of finding a specific single pebble of sand on a huge beach.

Piston fan is generally a lowlife without much basketball knowledge so I doubt you have the wits to debate this subject with me. Throw out an insult, ignore my points and we will call it a day.

Ah... Cause kobe was doing nothing but shooting jumpers and because Sheed and Prince were actually posting up that series.. and because Billups made Payton a fool with pump fakes that series.. Is that good enough for you? Or I can mention that allot of it was also you guys fouling us off fast breaks that started with our defense.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I never understand how some basketball fans think that Free Throws have to be equal for each team.. Free throws are awarded because the other team fouled.. the idea that every team is going to foul eachother the same amount of times each game of the series (and have the same amount of fouls that result in free throws) is beyond me. There is such thing as one team not fouling as much as the other.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never understand how some basketball fans think that Free Throws have to be equal for each team.. Free throws are awarded because the other team fouled.. the idea that every team is going to foul eachother the same amount of times each game of the series (and have the same amount of fouls that result in free throws) is beyond me. There is such thing as one team not fouling as much as the other.
    But, but -- Kobe should go to the line a lot just because he's Kobe; the same was true of Shaq back in the day. It's not actually about what happens on the court. It's much more about the name on the back of the jersey!!

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Why did the Pistons shoot more FTs then the Lakers... Cause Slavamevidenko was guarding Sheed and Payton was guarding Billups?

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Yea not like it would of helped them anyways.. shaq still would of miss half of them.

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    True.

But it is one of the only "hard" statistics that we can use to actually compare the officiating in a game. For instance, last night Kevin Garnett and PJ Brown continued their practice of setting illegal screens literally on every offensive possession.

They have done this all series long and finally Garnett was called for it late in last night's game. Here is a video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XoZ6R-rM-Y

Those kind of no calls have led to lots of undeserved points for the Celtics in this series, yet that isn't something we can compare in a box score. So FT attempt differential or total fouls is one of the few statistics that fans can look at and debate.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    They were setting those screens during our series too.. I do agree with that.. they miss allot of calls.. Traveling being the worst of course.

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    They were setting those screens during our series too.. I do agree with that.. they miss allot of calls.. Traveling being the worst of course.
    Almost every Ray Allen open look in this series has been off blatant illegal screens. They aren't even close to being legitimate, that is why Garnett is getting more and more out of control with it to the point where he is just running into guys because it isn't being called.

How about this play? A technical isn't even called when if Kobe did this, he would be tossed from the game. Kobe gets T'd up any time he makes any motion with his arms in relation to a call, yet this is allowed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U99adLMP_fY

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Lakers couldn't rebound the ball in 2004 that's why they lost. Pistons owned the offensive boards and had 3 shots everytime down the floor. As for Garnett he set an illegal screen pretty much everytime down the court at the end of the game, it was ridiculous. For spur fans to think the Lakers get more calls then the spurs is laughable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right.....Joey is going to tell all about the fixing he did.......so he can go to prison and get raped, beaten, etc.
    Beaten for sure.

Raped, I don't know........ have you seen the guy ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Phil Taylor > THE HOT BUTTON

More fuel for the fire: The NBA's perception problem keeps growing Story Highlights

Tim Donaghy's latest allegations are a boon for NBA conspiracy theorists
    Donaghy's claims of game-fixing play into the worst su ions about the NBA
    The NBA needs to start making refs more available to explain controversial calls

It's a lot harder to laugh at the NBA conspiracy theorists today, isn't it?

When they tell you that the 1985 draft lottery was rigged to make sure Patrick Ewing would be a Knick, they don't sound quite so paranoid or delusional anymore.

If they lay out their theory that Michael Jordan's first retirement was really a hush-hush suspension for gambling, you don't feel quite as confident in brushing them off.

And if they tell you Game 2 of this year's Finals, when the Celtics shot 38 free throws to the Lakers' 10, smells fishy, well, can you really argue?

That's what Tim Donaghy, the rogue referee who is fast becoming commissioner David Stern's worst nightmare, has brought about with his stunning accusations of biased officiating, fixed playoff games and other improprieties. He has put it all in play -- all the su ions, all the skepticism, all the whispers that something about the NBA just doesn't feel completely on the up-and-up.

We knew that Donaghy himself had bet on games and accepted cash for inside information to gamblers, crimes for which he has been convicted and faces a possible 33 months in prison. But in a letter filed by his lawyer to the sentencing court Tuesday, Donaghy alleges he was far from the only culprit, that the dishonesty and deception and rigging of outcomes in the NBA reached as far up as the league's executive offices.

The veracity of Donaghy's claims, in which he named no names, is very much up for debate. As Stern pointed out Tuesday, these are the allegations of an admitted felon, and it's easy to attack his credibility. Also, although the specific allegations came to light Tuesday, Donaghy originally shared the information with the authorities months ago, yet he remains the only NBA official or executive charged with any wrongdoing. In short, the possibility exists that the accusations are as baseless as Stern says they are.

But ... there is that "but," isn't there? There is so much smoke that maybe Donaghy is finally exposing the fire. Remember how the Miami Heat overcame a 2-0 Finals deficit in 2006 when Dwyane Wade suddenly began getting every call against the Dallas Mavericks? How about the end of Game 4 of the Lakers-Spurs series this year, when Brent Barry didn't get an obvious foul call just before the buzzer that might have given San Antonio life? Suddenly, crucial, controversial calls or non-calls all seem worthy of another look with a more cynical eye.

Much of what Donaghy alleges seems plausible enough. The charges, if true, would explain a great deal. He told authorities that in 2002 two referees conspired in a playoff series to ensure the series would reach a seventh game. The only series that went seven games that year was the Western Conference finals between the Sacramento Kings and the Los Angeles Lakers, in which the Lakers shot a whopping 27 free throws in the fourth quarter of Game 6, helping them to avoid elimination in Los Angeles. They eventually won Game 7 in Sacramento as well.

Anyone who watched that game remembers how strangely lopsided the officiating seemed, particularly in the fourth quarter. Among the egregiously blown calls was a blatant elbow by Kobe Bryant against the Kings' Mike Bibby that somehow escaped detection. It was a game that immediately aroused the su ion of conspiracy theorists and the su ion of Kings fans, but it was eventually chalked up as another example of the unpredictable nature of officiating rather than any intentional effort to control the outcome. Now, we're not so sure.

But Donaghy doesn't stop there. He also claims that referees were instructed by league executives to protect star players from technical fouls and ejections in order to keep television ratings up, and that when a star player was ejected from a 2000 playoff game, an official was privately reprimanded by the league.

It would be easier to chalk up all of this as the groundless allegations of a desperate man if it didn't play into so many of the su ions about the league that have existed for years but have been dismissed by the NBA as a minor annoyance instead of a serious issue to address. About two years ago, before the Donaghy scandal came to light, I sat with Stern in a conference room in the NBA offices in New York as he laughed off the idea that the league had a reputation for questionable officiating. He said there were no referees in any sport that were scrutinized more closely than NBA officials, and that he had no doubts about their honesty.

Stern can't be laughing now. Even if Donaghy's claims aren't true, league executives have to recognize that the NBA has given fans reason to believe that his claims are, partly because of the league's cavalier at ude toward the inconsistencies in the way games are called. Players, coaches, media and fans have all questioned NBA officiating at one time or another, and the league would be wise to finally take those questions seriously.

A good place to start would be with making the process more transparent, including having referees give more interviews to explain controversial calls. The league office should also publicly instruct the referees that they are to call the game without giving special treatment to stars, and without considering the time or score. No more swallowing the whistles at the end of close games. There's not much Stern and his associates can do to change what happened in the past, but they can address the future.

Stern can shout from the top of the Manhattan skyscraper that houses the league's headquarters that none of Donaghy's allegations are true, but the real problem for the NBA is that hardly anyone would be surprised if they were.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I use to think that the NBA was not fixed. I never wanted to believe it. I still don't want to. However, the more games I watch and as more time goes on, I can't help to belive that the NBA is fixed.

There is way too much money involved for it not to be fixed or persuaded. A lot of people want a piece of the NBA's $$$$$. Is that going to stp me from being a Spurs fan? No. The NBA knows that. It will lose fans because of this, but the NBA will gain a lot more fans than lose fans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sacramento got raped by the league and everybody ing knows it. initially i tried not to be too upset when i heard this but that. they singlehandidly ing robbed our franchises chance of a championship.
    Agreed. But we all knew what was happening during that Game 6. That was the most obvious of them all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am all for honest officiating.

Let the best team win, that is all any Laker fan has ever wanted because we don't have a team of floppers, we have ballers.
    ehhmm, Sasha, Vlad, Gasol, Turiaf all flop, oh and Kobe, remember thats part of his shooting stroke to swing his arm to the right, hahaha

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You forgot the ball clearly going off Webber out of bounds and then being given back to the Queens anyway before there bogus "game winning shot"

Games 2 and 5 of that series were far worse than anything that happened in Game 6. And why can't won media moron that mentions all the foul shots in the 4th qtr for the Queens in Game 6 ever mention that at least 10 of them were off INTENTIONAL fouls that the Queens obviously WANTED the refs to call?

Lazy reporting, stupid urban legend. Top 5 fixes in recent NBA history:

1. Games 2-5 of 2004 NBA Finals
    2. Games 3-6 of 2006 NBA Finals
    3. Game 2 of 2008 NBA Finals
    4. Games 2 and 5 of 2002 Lakers-Queens series
    5. Game 1 of 2003 Lakers-Spurs series
    Dont start throwin in your 2 sense about games and series' not even mentioned in Donaghy's report. Be mad that he called out your team for what it is: FAKE!!!!You FAKER!

Thread Information