Marcus Bryant
06-27-2008, 12:44 AM
http://www.iupuijags.com/news/2008/6/26/MBB_0626085013.aspx

HILL PICKED 26TH OVERALL BY THE SAN ANTONIO SPURS
Guard becomes just the second-ever First Round pick in conference history

http://www.iupuijags.com/images/2008/6/26/rp_primary__MG_0415.jpg

Ed Holdaway, IUPUI Sports Information
6/26/2008 9:48:05 PM

INDIANAPOLIS - George Hill's lifelong dream became a reality on Thursday night when he was selected 26th overall by the San Antonio Spurs in the 2008 NBA Draft. The 6-foot-2 guard declared for early entry in this year's draft after averaging 21.5 points, 6.8 rebounds and 4.3 assists last season for the Jaguars, earning Summit League Player of the Year honors.

"It’s been a childhood dream," Hill said. “I’m excited to be going to a class organization like the Spurs. I worked out for them twice and really hit it off with (Gregg Popovich). They told me if I was there at 26, they’d take me.

“This was our goal from when the whole thing started, to be a first rounder. A lot of people doubted me, but that’s part of what motivated me the most.”

Watching the draft with friends and family from the clubhouse at the Auburn Hills Apartments, the former IUPUI standout was overcome with tears of joy after hearing NBA Commissioner David Stern make the announcement.

"I was just speechless," Hill said. “I didn’t even hear my full name called. Everyone around me just reacted.”

Hill becomes the first player in IUPUI's basketball history to be drafted and just the ninth in Summit League (formerly Mid-Continent Conference) to be chosen. He’s the first draft pick to come from the league since Valparaiso’s Bryce Drew in 1998 and is just the second-ever First Rounder in league history.

His resume at IUPUI leaves him ranked fourth on the program's all-time scoring list (1,619 points) and among the top 10 in rebounds, assists, steals, free throws made and field goals made. He earned two First Team All-Conference awards and was a member of the league's All-Newcomer Team in 2005.

"We're extremely excited for George tonight," IUPUI Head Coach Ron Hunter said. "This is something he and I have talked about for a long, long time and it's finally here. He's the best player I've ever coached and on top of that, he's one of the best kids I've ever been associated with.

"He's special and as much as we're going to miss him, they're going to love him in San Antonio."

While his on-court prowess had spoken for itself the past four years, the NBA puts players through a rigorous 'getting-to-know-you' process leading up to draft night. Since completing the four-day NBA Pre-Draft Camp in Orlando in late May, Hill has conducted individual workouts for 16 teams, logging more air miles than hours sleep. Workouts vary from city to city with each team conducting different drills and asking different questions of each potential draftee.

"I've been living out of a suitcase for the last month and a half," Hill told The Indianapolis Star's Matt Baker.

Predicted by most pundits to be an early Second Round pick, Hill and his agent, Mike Whitaker from Reid Entertainment, will now be headed to Texas to meet members of the front office and media.

"I'm excited to get going," Hill said. "When you think Spurs, it's more than just (Tim) Duncan and Parker. Parker's a great guard, but they're a great organization. I'm excited to get to learn from some veterans like Mike Finley and Robert Horry.

"They're a class organization."

T Park
06-27-2008, 12:46 AM
:lol

Will he be dissapointed if Finley and Horry aren't back? :lol

Spurtacus
06-27-2008, 12:48 AM
These articles are making me feel better about the kid. :thumb

"I'm excited to get going," Hill said. "When you think Spurs, it's more than just (Tim) Duncan and Parker. Parker's a great guard, but they're a great organization. I'm excited to get to learn from some veterans like Mike Finley and Robert Horry.

Heh..Finley and Horry may not be teammates of his next season.

MaNu4Tres
06-27-2008, 01:53 AM
George Hill is starting to win me over the more I read about him. I still wish we had taken Hendrix with the 45th pick.

DMX7
06-27-2008, 01:58 AM
He's just sucking up because he knows he isn't in a position to complain.

SPURSGOAT
06-27-2008, 01:59 AM
George Hill is starting to win me over the more I read about him.

:tu same here.

rayray2k8
06-27-2008, 02:13 AM

Yep.
I think 1 of the 2 will be back.
Of the 2, i truely believe Horry will be back.

duncan228
06-27-2008, 02:15 AM
Marcus, hope you don't mind but here are the quotes from the bottom of the article. :)

Hill's quotes following his being selected by the Spurs

On his initial reaction...

"My main reaction was that I finally made it. My childhood dream was to play in the NBA and just to know I was a step away from it finally coming true - it was just a blessing to be a part of."

On being picked by the Spurs...

"I knew the Spurs were going to be it. I went to two workouts with them. If I wasn't gone at 26, that I would stick in that spot there with them. It's a great opportunity and things happen for a reason. I'm ready to go in and start working right away."

On the guaranteed two-year contract that comes with being a First Round pick...

"That means a lot. That was our goal before I entered my name in the draft, was to be a first rounder. There were a lot of people who doubted me and said that I couldn't be a first rounder. That was one thing that motivated me to push on and be a first rounder."

On joining the Spurs and playing with Tony Parker...

"Playing with (Tony) Parker is always a good thing, I mean, he's a great guard. And then, you can't just say Parker because you have a great organization and one of the game's great teams in San Antonio. It's a learning process, I'm ready to go in and take my time and learn from the vets they've got in there like Mike Finley, Robert Horry, (Manu) Ginobili and all them. They're just great players. I'm ready to go in, see what my role is and make the best of it."

On what he needs to improve on...

"There's not just one thing you need to improve on as an NBA player. Just transitioning to the NBA is a major improvement that every player is going to have to have."

On advice he's received along the way...

"Just stay doing what I'm doing. They say don't ever change yourself for anybody. They said what got me there was just being myself and staying poised at all times."

On being able to play the 1 and 2...

"A lot of teams look for that combo guard like a Monta Ellis or a Devin Harris or players like that. I think it played a big role because I can play the one or two. It's good to have a guard that can switch from the two to the one."

On coming from Indianapolis...

"It's always a privilege to come from that click of like the Greg Odens and the Mike Conleys and Courtney Lee who just got drafted today and Stanley Burrell. You just have great players here in Indiana and it does put us on the map, that we do produce great athletes. And, it puts us on the map that I come from IPS (Indianapolis Public Schools) and I represent IPS well. I mean people are going to look at you funny because you're an IPS student and you have that IPS stereotype, but at the same time, good things can happen to an IPS student."

On coming from Indiana and IUPUI...

"It's always good to be in with the Josh McRoberts and Greg Oden thing, but coming from IUPUI is a different scenario. Coming from IUPUI is a big difference than coming from Duke or North Carolina. You've got to push yourself a lot harder and your circle's got to be a lot tighter. But, coming from IUPUI, I got to experience a lot of things. I got to play the post, I got to guard threes. Coming from IUPUI made a difference. It didn't matter if I was a IUPUI player or a Duke player. I think I'm that type of player that likes to prove himself. A lot of people are going to think what they want to think, but a guy, Carlos Knox, that played at IUPUI always told me that you can't think about anything and pray about everything. I took that to heart and stopped worrying about what people think."

On playing for Coach Hunter...

"He's been a great influence. His biggest thing was letting me play my game. He let me play the one, he let me play the two, he gave me the green light, although I didn't exploit my green light to the (Carlos) Knox ability (laughing). I think it helped me that we had a great staff like Don Carlisle and Matt Crenshaw, who were former players that helped me to become a better player and it really paid off."

bigdog
06-27-2008, 02:16 AM
well, seems like this guy has his head in the right place.

.....even though we will likely let Horry and/or Finley walk.

Quasar
06-27-2008, 03:27 AM

So you think you've got nothing to learn from Manu? :ihit

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 03:46 AM
He’s the first draft pick to come from the league since Valparaiso’s Bryce Drew in 1998 and is just the second-ever First Rounder in league history.

He has a chance to be as good as Bryce Drew. Hooray.

Buddy Holly
06-27-2008, 03:50 AM
Besides nothing, what else do you even try to offer to this forum, to life in general?

completely deck
06-27-2008, 08:26 AM
He has a chance to be as good as Bryce Drew. Hooray.

I'm saving all of your responses when he proves Pop and RC's point that he's going to be the a huge contributor for us next year.

loveforthegame
06-27-2008, 10:26 AM

Since him and Pop hit it off so well makes you wonder if he knows those two guys will be back? Not that he's being told what moves are being made this summer but he picks the two guys most likely not coming back?

Supergirl
06-27-2008, 10:51 AM
I like the quality of his basketball IQ. I think this guy could turn out to be a steal.

MoSpur
06-27-2008, 11:16 AM
As I stated in other threads, I thought he would be a steal in the second round, but he is going to be a very solid player.

kobyz
06-27-2008, 11:22 AM
i'm not disappointed with the George Hill Selection i'm just disappointed that we dont get Batum.
Hill is a good Selection, maybe only Arthur preferable

Indazone
06-27-2008, 11:37 AM
He'll be a D-league project. The Summit League is just slightly better than high school. It's more like NCAA Division III or NAIA basketball.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2008, 11:39 AM
rocketfan continues to impress as the most ignorant collection of posters on the board.

SenorSpur
06-27-2008, 11:41 AM
I'm looking forward to him hopefully supplanting Vaughn as the primary backup before season's end.

Guajalote
06-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Each game, just about the time Tony sits for a rest, the other point guard is going to huff because Hill will come in and be turbo as well.

Indazone
06-27-2008, 12:38 PM
I maybe wrong but that's a huge jump from the Summitleague to the NBA. There have been others who have made the leap from small leagues to the NBA but the level of competition down there is weak.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2008, 12:40 PM
That's why there are draft camps.

We'll see how it goes in Vegas. I think the Spurs have plans for this one.

2centsworth
06-27-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm getting the sense that George is going to be good. Not picking Hendrix at 45 did stink.