PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs go off the radar with Hill

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2008, 12:51 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA062708.1D.BKNspurs.draft.main.4511270.html

Spurs go off the radar with Hill

Web Posted: 06/27/2008 12:20 AM CDT

Jeff McDonald
Express-News

When George Hill came to town to visit with Spurs officials for a pre-draft interview earlier this week, coach Gregg Popovich took him out for lunch with a local flair.

What Hill put in his gullet that day was definitely an acquired taste for the guard from Division-IAA IUPUI. Apparently, you can't get Tex-Mex, good or otherwise, in Indiana.

Hill wasn't quite ready to give his South Texas culinary experience two thumbs up, but he is willing to give it another shot.

“I think I could learn to like it,” Hill said.

What Hill is hoping now, after the Spurs made him the 26th pick of the first round in Thursday's NBA draft, is that San Antonio learns to like him.

A 6-foot-2 scorer who played both guard positions in college, Hill is projected as a point guard in the NBA. The Spurs expect him to compete with Jacque Vaughn for the backup position behind Tony Parker next season.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/images/2007-2008/250george_hill.jpg
The Spurs made IUPUI guard George Hill their first-round draft pick.

“He's a really solid player at both ends of the court,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “I honestly believe he will make our team better right off the bat.”

Hill's selection marked the beginning of an unusually busy draft night for the Spurs, who had two second-round picks to use as well.

They spent the first on Slovenian guard Goran Dragic, then immediately swapped his rights to Phoenix for the rights to Malik Hairston, a 6-foot-6 forward from Oregon who the Suns had taken 48th. In the deal, the Spurs also netted Golden State's 2009 second round pick, which Phoenix also owned, and cash considerations.

With their final pick, the 57th overall, the Spurs took James Gist, a 6-8 forward from Maryland.

Popovich declared himself very pleased with the night's proceedings.

“The people we hoped to be there at all of our picks were there,” Popovich said.

They were particularly pleased to see Hill still lingering on the draft board at No. 26.

Hill, 22, is the first American born player the Spurs have drafted in the first round — and meant to keep for themselves — since 1997, when they took a senior from Wake Forest named Tim Duncan.

Their picks since were spent on a collection of foreign players and prospects drafted for other teams as part of pre-arranged deals. Hailing from a tiny college in the middle of a basketball hotbed, Hill might as well have come from the other side of the planet as well.

IUPUI — full name Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis — is a mid-major basketball school playing in the Summit League that, until Thursday, had never produced an NBA draftee.

Hill made averaged 21.5 points per game last season, earning Player of the Year honors in the Summit League for his efforts. The Spurs selected him over guards from bigger schools — like Kansas' Mario Chalmers and Memphis' Chris Douglas-Roberts — who were also on the board at the time.

Hill made his money at last month's pre-draft camp in Orlando, where he impressed scouts with his athleticism, defensive tenacity and basketball acumen.

“You couldn't tell if I was from IUPUI or Duke,” Hill said by phone from Indianapolis on Thursday. “I think I showed a lot.”

So good was Hill in Orlando that some in the Spurs' camp worried other teams might catch wind and steal him from out from under their noses.

“Nobody really knew who he was, and probably even now some people don't know who he is,” Popovich said. “A lot of people found out about him because of Orlando.”

When Houston took French forward Nicolas Batum at No. 25, there was much rejoicing in the Spurs' war room.

“I don't remember a draft since maybe Tony (in 2001) where we keyed in on a player or two, and they got there,” Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said.

At about the same time the Spurs staff was exulting in San Antonio, there was also celebration in Indianapolis, where Hill was making school history in front of a collection of friends, family and fans.

“Everybody was speechless,” Hill said. “They can't believe a guy from this school has had this success.”

Now, Hill is champing at the bit to get to San Antonio. He'll need plenty of time to get adjusted to the Tex-Mex.

He — and his taste buds — can hardly wait.

“I was hoping I'd land a spot in San Antonio,” Hill said. “I feel like that's the perfect fit for me.”

Brutalis
06-27-2008, 12:57 AM
Well I am not happy. But honestly, I'm not going to punish him just yet. I wanna see how he does in summer camps and preseason. However jokes are open and still coming.

“I feel like that's the perfect fit for me.”

Cue that saying for any team that would have picked him.

06-27-2008, 12:58 AM
sounds like the spurs planned this all along. i'm willing to give him a chance.

Spurtacus
06-27-2008, 12:59 AM
“He's a really solid player at both ends of the court,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “I honestly believe he will make our team better right off the bat.”

Pop, you better be right.

TDMVPDPOY
06-27-2008, 01:01 AM

“The people we hoped to be there at all of our picks were there,” Popovich said.

OH SNAP

POP at it again, fukn mind games when there was some decent fellas on the board......heck if this guy cant beat vaugn for the backup spot, trade his ass

anakha
06-27-2008, 01:05 AM
So that Batum news WAS a decoy.

T Park
06-27-2008, 01:07 AM
You could tell CIA was in full effect.

SPURSGOAT
06-27-2008, 01:22 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA062708.1D.BKNspurs.draft.main.4511270.html

Jeff McDonald
Express-News

When George Hill came to town to visit with Spurs officials for a pre-draft interview earlier this week, coach Gregg Popovich took him out for lunch with a local flair.

What Hill put in his gullet that day was definitely an acquired taste for the guard from Division-IAA IUPUI. Apparently, you can't get Tex-Mex, good or otherwise, in Indiana.

Hill wasn't quite ready to give his South Texas culinary experience two thumbs up, but he is willing to give it another shot.

What Hill is hoping now, after the Spurs made him the 26th pick of the first round in Thursday's NBA draft, is that San Antonio learns to like him.

A 6-foot-2 scorer who played both guard positions in college, Hill is projected as a point guard in the NBA. The Spurs expect him to compete with Jacque Vaughn for the backup position behind Tony Parker next season.

Hill's selection marked the beginning of an unusually busy draft night for the Spurs, who had two second-round picks to use as well.

They spent the first on Slovenian guard Goran Dragic, then immediately swapped his rights to Phoenix for the rights to Malik Hairston, a 6-foot-6 forward from Oregon who the Suns had taken 48th. In the deal, the Spurs also netted Golden State's 2009 second round pick, which Phoenix also owned, and cash considerations.

With their final pick, the 57th overall, the Spurs took James Gist, a 6-8 forward from Maryland.

They were particularly pleased to see Hill still lingering on the draft board at No. 26.

Hill, 22, is the first American born player the Spurs have drafted in the first round — and meant to keep for themselves — since 1997, when they took a senior from Wake Forest named Tim Duncan.

Their picks since were spent on a collection of foreign players and prospects drafted for other teams as part of pre-arranged deals. Hailing from a tiny college in the middle of a basketball hotbed, Hill might as well have come from the other side of the planet as well.

IUPUI — full name Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis — is a mid-major basketball school playing in the Summit League that, until Thursday, had never produced an NBA draftee.

Hill made averaged 21.5 points per game last season, earning Player of the Year honors in the Summit League for his efforts. The Spurs selected him over guards from bigger schools — like Kansas' Mario Chalmers and Memphis' Chris Douglas-Roberts — who were also on the board at the time.

Hill made his money at last month's pre-draft camp in Orlando, where he impressed scouts with his athleticism, defensive tenacity and basketball acumen.

“You couldn't tell if I was from IUPUI or Duke,” Hill said by phone from Indianapolis on Thursday. “I think I showed a lot.”

So good was Hill in Orlando that some in the Spurs' camp worried other teams might catch wind and steal him from out from under their noses.

“Nobody really knew who he was, and probably even now some people don't know who he is,” Popovich said. “A lot of people found out about him because of Orlando.”

When Houston took French forward Nicolas Batum at No. 25, there was much rejoicing in the Spurs' war room.

“I don't remember a draft since maybe Tony (in 2001) where we keyed in on a player or two, and they got there,” Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said.

At about the same time the Spurs staff was exulting in San Antonio, there was also celebration in Indianapolis, where Hill was making school history in front of a collection of friends, family and fans.

“Everybody was speechless,” Hill said. “They can't believe a guy from this school has had this success.”

Now, Hill is champing at the bit to get to San Antonio. He'll need plenty of time to get adjusted to the Tex-Mex.

“I was hoping I'd land a spot in San Antonio,” Hill said. “I feel like that's the perfect fit for me.”

:tu nice find...makes me feel better about the draft tonight. Especially about making the trade to the Suns. Pop and RC did well! :king

SCdac
06-27-2008, 01:27 AM
I'm no scout, but I wish the Spurs had gone in a different direction with the #26 pick. A swingman who could contribute, something besides a point guard *sigh*...

NONE THE LESS, I'm glad to see both Popovich and Hill happy about the situation. That kind of optimism matters. Pop seems pretty high on him, so whatever, I trust the Spurs FO.

rayray2k8
06-27-2008, 01:27 AM
Hmm, well I was right about saying that they were worried about other teams maybe taking Hill.
Lets see what the kids got and at least we're taking a step foward by getting younger.
Kid can score, no doubt about it, but how will he fair in the NBA?

Guess we'll wait and find out..

T Park
06-27-2008, 01:28 AM
I'm no scout, but I wish the Spurs had gone in a different direction with the #26 pick. A swingman who could contribute, something besides a point guard *sigh*...

NONE THE LESS, I'm glad to see both Popovich and Hill happy about the situation. That kind of optimism matters. Pop seems pretty high on him, so whatever, I trust the Spurs FO.

You do understand they NEEDED a point guard BADLY.

What point guard was available in FA that would've been better that was realisticly available?

wijayas
06-27-2008, 01:34 AM
In Pop We Trust.

Das Texan
06-27-2008, 01:45 AM
CIA Pop once again, had us all fooled.

TDMVPDPOY
06-27-2008, 01:53 AM
who here thinks his a replacement for parker, who might bolt during FA?

objective
06-27-2008, 01:55 AM
people get spun so easily. lol

T Park
people get spun so easily. lol

??

So what, we should all be depressed and pissed off?

T Park

Uh no.

Hes a back up point.

Link to where Parker is bolting during FA?

Mister Sinister
06-27-2008, 01:57 AM
Uh no.

Hes a back up point.

Link to where Parker is bolting during FA?
Must...resist...urge...to...Rickroll....Shatnerian ....reserves...depleting....

bigdog
06-27-2008, 02:07 AM

Parker's years away from even thinking about doing that.

Hill should be a solid backup. I didn't agree with picking him at 26 but if he really did play that well in Orlando at the camp, then maybe another team would have taken him before 45 if we didn't

pawe
06-27-2008, 02:16 AM

So, we got a TITS supporter in the house! TITS FTW!

Mister Sinister
06-27-2008, 02:22 AM
So, we got a TITS supporter in the house! TITS FTW!

[ ] TITS

[ ] GTFO

The choice is yours, ST.

timaios
06-27-2008, 03:29 AM

I like that. :toast

rj215
06-27-2008, 03:37 AM

Jeff McDonald
Express-News

PLEASE BE RIGHT!PLEASE BE RIGHT!PLEASE BE RIGHT!PLEASE BE RIGHT!PLEASE BE RIGHT!PLEASE BE RIGHT!PLEASE BE RIGHT!PLEASE BE RIGHT!PLEASE BE RIGHT!PLEASE BE RIGHT!PLEASE BE RIGHT!PLEASE BE RIGHT!PLEASE BE RIGHT!

gmanrulz
06-27-2008, 03:40 AM
Fact of the matter is he most likely would have been there at 45

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 03:43 AM
Uh... wow, is there a lot of SPIN there.

Could have traded back and easily had him plus more.

objective
06-27-2008, 03:47 AM
wait, wasn't Buford excited over Splitter and how he was one of the guys they had targeted?

slayermin
06-27-2008, 03:51 AM
I want to know what Sam Presti thinks about Hill.

silk
06-27-2008, 03:52 AM
Well I am not happy. But honestly, I'm not going to punish him just yet. I wanna see how he does in summer camps and preseason. However jokes are open and still coming.

Cue that saying for any team that would have picked him.

Dude, you just can't punish him, are you from the front offiice or the secret big bad boy ruling this messed-up world ?

ChumpDumper
06-27-2008, 03:56 AM
I'm blissfully ignorant about this guy, so I'll wait until Vegas to condemn him to bustdom.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2008, 04:02 AM

:lol

I predicted the Spurs would take George Hill... but not until the second round. I didn't know they were THAT high on him. But, it's good to see they addressed the need of a backup point. Now, if they can go get an athletic swingman and an athletic 4/small 3 in free agency/trading, they should be good to go.

Slippy
06-27-2008, 04:56 AM
:lol

I didn't know they were THAT high on him. But, it's good to see they addressed the need of a backup point.

Same. For me, the back-up point role was the biggest concern.

You gotta feel good about reading this comment from Pop. He's not one to get too giddy on younger guys just coming in and put extra pressure on them to perform . They must have a lot confidence in the guy to make such a statement.

ManuTastic
06-27-2008, 06:49 AM
Why take this guy over Chalmers? Not sayin' it was a bad move, but wasn't Chalmers the best PG available at that point?

mrspurs
06-27-2008, 07:07 AM
OH SNAP

POP at it again, fukn mind games when there was some decent fellas on the board......heck if this guy cant beat vaugn for the backup spot, trade his ass

i hear ya...when i read this guy and vaugn would compete for the backup point spot, it made me wonder, cos you dont have tobe really to good tobe be better then jacque. imo he is another reason why manu never got any rest this season and the reason why manu ran out of gas...no need to even think of bringing vaugn back much less say he is still gonna compete as tonys backup...lord i hope im wrong, but i guess our point guards really have sucked for yrs...who knows maybe hill can teach tony how to pass...oh well its over and done...lets move onto the FA, and the Cowboys...go spurs go

1Parker1
06-27-2008, 07:15 AM

:lol Didn't Pop say 2 days ago in the Express News that they don't think they'll find anyone who can come in and play immediately so late in the draft and that there aren't that many players like Parker in the draft, etc etc.?

exstatic
06-27-2008, 07:28 AM
:lol Didn't Pop say 2 days ago in the Express News that they don't think they'll find anyone who can come in and play immediately so late in the draft and that there aren't that many players like Parker in the draft, etc etc.?

It's called not tipping your hand, or in ST shorthand, CIA. :hat

Bruno
06-27-2008, 07:30 AM
The Spurs expect him to compete with Jacque Vaughn for the backup position behind Tony Parker next season.

Does it means that Vaughn will pick up his player option ?

I quite like a Parker/Hill/Vaughn rotation at PG. If Hill is good, Vaughn won't take him playing time. If he is bad, Vaughn is a decent backup plan.

While i don't know if Hill will be good or not his profile is perfect for Spurs : he can shoot, attack the basket and defend. His weakness is that he isn't a true PG but it's not big deal for Spurs given with Manu who can play as a PG on the offensive end.

Guajalote
06-27-2008, 07:33 AM
i hear ya...when i read this guy and vaugn would compete for the backup point spot, it made me wonder, cos you dont have tobe really to good tobe be better then jacque. imo he is another reason why manu never got any rest this season and the reason why manu ran out of gas...no need to even think of bringing vaugn back much less say he is still gonna compete as tonys backup...lord i hope im wrong, but i guess our point guards really have sucked for yrs...who knows maybe hill can teach tony how to pass...oh well its over and done...lets move onto the FA, and the Cowboys...go spurs go

Agreed. He'll keep Manu AND Tony fresher. I hope Hill works out. From the tape I've seen, he is pretty quick and his style is a bit like Tony's. Think about last year when Tony was banged up. (Again, this is assuming Hill is at all capable) Wouldn't it have been nice to have somebody who could come in and keep the offense running?

I was mad at the pick at first, but the more time that goes by, and the more quotes from Pop that I read, I'm really anxious to see how he does this summer.

exstatic
06-27-2008, 07:40 AM
:lmao @ Mr. Bitchy, throwing a character guy like Hill under the bus after throwing JR Smith under the bus for not being one.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2008, 07:44 AM
Spurs must've been high on him to select him over the other players available at #26. In any event, I'm not going to stop being a Spurs fan or cut myself over it. The Spurs know how to draft. If you think they don't, well, why are you limiting your talents to a fan messageboard?

On to free agency.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2008, 07:49 AM
Spurs must've been high on him to select him over the other players available at #26. In any event, I'm not going to stop being a Spurs fan or cut myself over it. The Spurs know how to draft. If you think they don't, well, why are you limiting your talents to a fan messageboard?

On to free agency.

Good point. The Spurs had a backup point guard with talent who has shown that he can play in this league, but Pop didn't mesh with him, didn't like him and never gave him a chance. I'd much rather have someone that Pop's going to throw out there, rather than having a roster spot that's unavailable.

The Spurs ended up with guys that are capable of contributing on NBA rosters in one way or another, even if they never end up stars.

AmarilloDoc
06-27-2008, 07:49 AM
What's will all the tatoos? I didn't think Pop chose anybody with a bunch of them.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2008, 07:59 AM
What's will all the tatoos? I didn't think Pop chose anybody with a bunch of them.

Apparently that doesn't matter.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2008, 08:04 AM
The only way a draft pick was going to impact the Spurs next season was if they were a point. The open backup spot in the bigman rotation is Mahinmi's. No rookie swingman available at #26 is going to step in and start at the 2 and get 25 minutes a night on the Spurs.

The surprise is that they went with Hill over Chalmers at #26. But, in any event, if Spurs fans thought the Spurs should use their 1st rounder to help their team today, well, the Spurs have done so.

ManuTastic
06-27-2008, 08:21 AM
The only way a draft pick was going to impact the Spurs next season was if they were a point. The open backup spot in the bigman rotation is Mahinmi's. No rookie swingman available at #26 is going to step in and start at the 2 and get 25 minutes a night on the Spurs.

The surprise is that they went with Hill over Chalmers at #26. But, in any event, if Spurs fans thought the Spurs should use their 1st rounder to help their team today, well, the Spurs have done so.

Really? I thought the big need was for athleticism on the wings. I guess CDR slipped a whole lot during the pre-draft workouts; I thought he would be a more likely pick for our needs. Sure, we could use a better backup PG, but what we have is at least serviceable. But there's no way Finley starts at SG next year, right?
But maybe they have another plan to acquire a starting wing player via trade/free agency. God I hope so.

Supergirl
06-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Hey we had 2 needs - a promising backup PG and an athletic long 3. We got both. I'm very optimistic.

timvp
06-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Broad Ripple's Hill realizes dream as a 1st-round pick

The normally funny and talkative George Hill went quiet.

He was bouncing around and laughing at a Westside apartment clubhouse during the early selections in the first round of the NBA draft but could muster only nods and one-word answers as the picks climbed into the 20s.
Advertisement

But when the San Antonio Spurs picked the IUPUI guard and Broad Ripple High School product with the 26th pick, four spots after Pike's Courtney Lee went to Orlando, Hill's emotions took over.

"I couldn't breathe," Hill said. "It really felt good for me that I finally made it. It was always my childhood dream. Just to know that I was a step away and it is finally coming true, it was a blessing to be a part of it."

About 50 friends and family members filled Hill's silence after the pick, erupting in screams and applause. Hill hugged his godfather, Mike Saunders, and collapsed to the floor before being mobbed as if he had just hit a game-winning home run.

Hill, who averaged 21.5 points and 6.8 rebounds as a junior at IUPUI, had two workouts with the Spurs and met with them Tuesday. The Summit League Player of the Year said the coaches told him that if he was available at No. 26, they would take him. Based on the NBA rookie salary scale, Hill will receive a $1.7 million, two-year contract.

"It's a great opportunity," Hill said. "Things happen for a reason. I'm just ready to go in and start working right away."

IUPUI coach Ron Hunter agreed.

Hunter said the Spurs are a great fit for Hill's game.

"This is a blessing for him and his family," Hunter said. "I think he can learn a lot from a guy like (Spurs point guard) Tony Parker. Last year when people asked about him, that's who I compared him to, and now he's going to be playing with him."

Hill was the last of three Indianapolis high school players to go in the first round. Eric Gordon (North Central) was picked seventh by the Los Angeles Clippers, and Orlando picked Lee.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080627/SPORTS0607/806270440

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2008, 08:45 AM
Really? I thought the big need was for athleticism on the wings. I guess CDR slipped a whole lot during the pre-draft workouts; I thought he would be a more likely pick for our needs. Sure, we could use a better backup PG, but what we have is at least serviceable. But there's no way Finley starts at SG next year, right?
But maybe they have another plan to acquire a starting wing player via trade/free agency. God I hope so.

No rookie is going to take Finley's role. That's what free agency is for.

tmtcsc
06-27-2008, 08:58 AM
:lmao at people in here thinking they know better than the Spurs FO and scouts. I was like everyone else in here when his name was called.."Who ?". But wtf do I know ? I thought we would get an experienced back up PG in FA but I guess they figure this guy can be a combo guard.

As for the wing position, perhaps we will go after Artest or some other guy. Contrary to a lot of people in this forum, I'll give a 4 time champion a little room when it comes to being critical over draft picks.

1Parker1
06-27-2008, 09:10 AM
His coach compared him to Tony Parker??? :lol :wow

K-State Spur
06-27-2008, 09:33 AM

And who was that swingman? I liked CDR (a lot) coming into the draft. But let's be honest, the guy had some flaws in his game and evidently every team in the NBA was weary of him. Same goes for Bill Walker.

As it was, they got a wing in the second round who is talented, but flawed. (Just like anybody that was available to them in the first round).

This team has multiple needs this offseason. The draft is only one way to fill them.

K-State Spur
06-27-2008, 09:35 AM
Fact of the matter is he most likely would have been there at 45

Why? Because the mock drafts said so?

Most of them had Giddens lasting until almost the end of the draft, and he went at #30.

K-State Spur
06-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Why take this guy over Chalmers? Not sayin' it was a bad move, but wasn't Chalmers the best PG available at that point?

There are quite a few things to like about Chalmers' game. But there are also LEGITIMATE questions as to whether he will ever be able to succeed at the PG spot. The answer to those questions in college was 'no.'

K-State Spur
06-27-2008, 09:39 AM
no need to even think of bringing vaugn back much less say he is still gonna compete as tonys backup

you planning on going with just 2 PGs this year? vaughn's a nice insurance policy as a third guy.

ManuTastic
06-27-2008, 02:18 PM
There are quite a few things to like about Chalmers' game. But there are also LEGITIMATE questions as to whether he will ever be able to succeed at the PG spot. The answer to those questions in college was 'no.'

What are the questions specifically?

AFBlue
06-27-2008, 02:35 PM
The title says "Spurs go off radar", but the spinsters say "We weren't sure he'd be there"....somewhat contradictory. Sadly, I side with the writer.

I think the Spurs could've traded into the second round and signed him to a non-guaranteed contract.

Guess we'll see if he's worth it...

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 02:39 PM
The title says "Spurs go off radar", but the spinsters say "We weren't sure he'd be there"....somewhat contradictory. Sadly, I side with the writer.

I think the Spurs could've traded into the second round and signed him to a non-guaranteed contract.

Guess we'll see if he's worth it...

100%