PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Meet The New Spurs

duncan228
06-27-2008, 02:24 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA062708.4D.BKNnew.spurs.425bbfb6.html

Meet The New Spurs

George Hill, guard, IUPUI

-Size: 6-2, 180 pounds

-Birthdate: May 4, 1986

-2007-08 stats: Averaged 21.5 points, shooting 54.5 percent from the field, including 45 percent from 3-point range, as a fourth-year junior.

-Notable: Earned Player of the Year honors in the Summit League last season. Is the first player in IUPUI history to be selected in the NBA draft. … Small for an NBA shooting guard, but impressed scouts at NBA’s pre-draft camp in Orlando last month with athleticism, defensive tenacity and basketball savvy.

Malik Hairston, guard/forward, Oregon

-Size: 6-6, 220 pounds

-Birthdate: Feb. 23, 1987

-2007-08 stats: Averaged 16.3 points and 4.8 rebounds as a senior last season.

-Notable: Originally drafted by Phoenix at No. 48, Spurs acquired him for Slovenian Goran Dragic, whom they had selected at 45, along with a second-round pick in 2009 and cash considerations. Finished collegiate career sixth on Oregon’s all-time scoring lists. A big two guard with a hard-nosed reputation.

James Gist, forward, Maryland

-Size: 6-9, 235 pounds

-Birthdate: Oct. 26, 1986.

-2007-08 stats: Averaged 15.9 points and 7.8 rebounds per game as a senior.

-Notable: Named to All-ACC second team and All-ACC Defensive team as a senior. An athletic forward with good shot-blocking ability, and a great finisher around the basket. Stubborn defender who will buy into Spurs’ defense-first philosophy.

- Jeff McDonald

T Park
06-27-2008, 02:26 AM
Small for an NBA shooting guard,

sigh.

Hes a point guard dumbass.....

bigdog
06-27-2008, 02:51 AM
McDonald is an idiot, but whatever.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 03:01 AM
I hope at least one of these guys can make the roster.

Buddy Holly
06-27-2008, 03:03 AM
I hope at least one of these guys can make the roster.

Hill will so that meets your goal. I definitely see Gist making the roster.Unless he just totally fucks up somehow.

Spurtacus
06-27-2008, 03:04 AM
Dumbass or not, the article made me feel a little better. Second round guys don't work out, not a big deal. If Hill fails, I will be greatly disappointed.

bigdog
06-27-2008, 03:06 AM
Yeah, but it almost seems like Pop has him penciled in to make the roster. I like Hairston, but I think we could use a guy like Gist more right now, and just grab a wing in FA.

If Gist can get a better offensive game then watch out, because he's scary athletic and he seems to be a guy willing to bust his ass on defense.

pawe
06-27-2008, 03:23 AM
wow, the spurs drafted an athletic guy? the rest of the league must be shaking in their boots right now.

mrspurs
06-27-2008, 08:13 AM
as long as none of these guys have choke artist blood im fine with them, even playing for the toros(thou i dont watch the d-league, cos its like the wnba). we have enough choke artists on our club we dont need anymore....i dont have to name, names cos we already know who our choke artists are.........anyways go spurs go

Supergirl
06-27-2008, 08:44 AM
Either Hill or Gist will be D-League this year, but it sounds like both could easily be on the roster by next season.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2008, 08:46 AM
Either Hill or Gist will be D-League this year, but it sounds like both could easily be on the roster by next season.

Gist will be D-league, if he makes the team.

SKINNYPIMP210
06-27-2008, 08:49 AM
as long as none of these guys have choke artist blood im fine with them, even playing for the toros(thou i dont watch the d-league, cos its like the wnba). we have enough choke artists on our club we dont need anymore....i dont have to name, names cos we already know who our choke artists are.........anyways go spurs go

Ummmmm, we don't have a lot of choke artists. Hell, I don't even think we have one. Horry, Duncan, Finley, Parker...etc. I've seen all these cats make clutch shots.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2008, 08:52 AM
Ummmmm, we don't have a lot of choke artists. Hell, I don't even think we have one. Horry, Duncan, Finley, Parker...etc. I've seen all these cats make clutch shots.

Yeah, I was wondering about that, and couldn't think of anyone. Doesn't seem like there would be any harm in naming names if we all know about them anyway. :lol

bigdog
06-27-2008, 08:53 AM

Pop likes Hill too much to not make the team. I think Gist could make the D-League team, along with Hairston. RC and Pop sounded like Hairston could come in right away and compete for a spot on the team, and RC said he could "probably" make the team.

Gist seems like more of a project right now, which is why I think he will end up on the Toros.

SenorSpur
06-27-2008, 09:26 AM
Hairston is the one that I'm concerned about. CHeck the bio:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&playerId=18842

Positives: Hairston is a power guard. He has great size, an NBA body and athleticism and a pretty advanced inside-outside game.

Negatives: He's a jack-of-all-trades, master of none. He's not a great ballhandler. Some scouts question whether he has a real passion for the game. It's not easy to tell. Sometimes he just looks unselfish. Other times he just disappears. Injury prone.

Das Texan
06-27-2008, 09:56 AM
how did mcdonald make it out of this first season with the spurs?

tp2021
06-27-2008, 03:04 PM
George Hill and I have the same birthday. Huh.

tp2021
06-27-2008, 03:28 PM
James Gist and my sister have the same birthday, too. Mildly interesting.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Hairston is the one that I'm concerned about. CHeck the bio:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&playerId=18842

Positives: Hairston is a power guard. He has great size, an NBA body and athleticism and a pretty advanced inside-outside game.

Negatives: He's a jack-of-all-trades, master of none. He's not a great ballhandler. Some scouts question whether he has a real passion for the game. It's not easy to tell. Sometimes he just looks unselfish. Other times he just disappears. Injury prone.

Me too. George Hill was taken too soon and, with lottery-types still available, the Spurs should have gotten more for the pick via trades and leverage, but whatever, it's a good pick. Gist is a very good take for 57. Hairston with the 45, however, is completely underwhelming. Sure, they got a 2nd rounder with him, but that will be late in the round. There were better players available, even with the Suns picking for them. Boo.