PDA

View Full Version : Batum is disapointed

romain.star
06-27-2008, 04:46 AM
In an interview in L'equipe, Batum confessed he had set up a strategy with his agent to be picked by SA. He was really looking forward to be picked by the spurs. He admited that his aim was really to go to SA. He says he was praying after every pick not be the next one, waiting for the 26th.

It looks like he really wanted to go to SA

too bad

anakha
06-27-2008, 04:48 AM
If that's true, Houston/Portland may have just wasted themselves a pick. :lmao

Kori Ellis
06-27-2008, 04:49 AM
:lol @ he had set up a strategy with his agent

The Spurs didn't really want him.

timvp
06-27-2008, 04:49 AM
Interesting. Do you have a link?

romain.star
06-27-2008, 04:54 AM
http://www.lequipe.fr/Basket/breves2008/20080627_100901_batum-a-un-choix-pres_Dev.html

sorry it's in french

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 04:58 AM
:lol @ he had set up a strategy with his agent

The Spurs didn't really want him.

Sure they did.

angelbelow
06-27-2008, 05:00 AM
im sure they did want him, but they wanted our boy georgie boy more. who knows maybe batums rights are traded for the TE since hes projected to be in europe next year.

Kori Ellis
Sure they did.

Then why did they tell George Hill that they were picking him at 26 if he was available?

timvp
From reading that interview in babelfish, I really think the Spurs told him he'd be the pick. I'm guessing the Spurs wanted either Batum or Hill. Who did they want more?

I guess we'll never know. Batum was expecting to be picked at 26 ... but so was Hill.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 05:03 AM
Then why did they tell George Hill that they were picking him at 26 if he was available?

Uh... he said that after he was drafted, right? You figure it out.

timvp
06-27-2008, 05:04 AM
Uh... he said that after he was drafted, right? You figure it out.Uh, Hill's camp was expecting the Spurs to take him at 26.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 05:05 AM
Uh, Hill's camp was expecting the Spurs to take him at 26.

There are plenty of statements of surprise at being taken so high.

Streakyshooter08
06-27-2008, 05:06 AM
Interesting. I would have liked if they got Batum. But it is too early to say wether the draft was a success or not. Maybe Hill will surprise a lot of people, who knows.

Buddy Holly
06-27-2008, 05:06 AM
From reading that interview in babelfish, I really think the Spurs told him he'd be the pick. I'm guessing the Spurs wanted either Batum or Hill. Who did they want more?

I guess we'll never know. Batum was expecting to be picked at 26 ... but so was Hill.

I think it was Hill by the simple fact that they openly sighed relief when Batum was taken.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 05:07 AM
I think it was Hill by the simple fact that they openly sighed relief when Batum was taken.

They really thought Houston was about to take George Hill?

angelbelow
06-27-2008, 05:07 AM
some articles claims that spurs were celebrating after batum got picked. i think they wanted hill more.

timvp
06-27-2008, 05:10 AM
There are plenty of statements of surprise at being taken so high.Not really from his camp. They were expecting 26. Didn't sound like a cut and dry promise but it also sounded like it would have been surprising if the Spurs would have passed.

Kori Ellis
Uh... he said that after he was drafted, right? You figure it out.

Did you read the George Hill blog that was going on DURING the draft?

Bruno
Batum also said that Pop tell him that he wanted to put him in the rotation as soon as next year because they had aging swingmen.

Anyway, no Batum, F Portland...

timvp
06-27-2008, 05:11 AM
"It’s been a childhood dream," Hill said. “I’m excited to be going to a class organization like the Spurs. I worked out for them twice and really hit it off with (Gregg Popovich). They told me if I was there at 26, they’d take me.
So if Batum and Hill were on the board, who would the Spurs have taken?

I guess that is the answer we will never know.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 05:13 AM
I'll read Hill's draft diary. I will not believe what the player says after the fact. I fully believe Batum was the target and they got stymied. They had to pull Hill sooner than they wanted.

timvp
06-27-2008, 05:16 AM
9:53 pm: Anticipation grows for the Spurs' pick at No. 26. I talk briefly with George's Godfather, Mike Saunders. Saunders' alternates between clutching his Sanyo phone and plugging it in to it's charger. Saunders admits it would've been nice for George's name to have already been called, but now action will start heating up.

9:54 pm: Saunders and Knox share a hug and start clapping their hands as the Spurs go on the clock. Meanwhile, the crowd is gravitating to George, who has shifted positions to the center of the room behind the sofa.

10:02 pm: PANDEMONIUM! George, meet Tim Duncan and Tony Parker, you're now a proud member of the San Antonio Spurs! The Spurs have just gained about 75 fans inside this building. People are clapping, crying, hugging and exchanging high fives.

Hill went from a huge smile to tears in about 2.3 seconds after Stern uttered his name.Sounds like the Spurs promised both Hill and Batum :lol

Damn it, the Rockets should have sold their pick to the Spurs as repayment for the Scola trade . . .

Buddy Holly
06-27-2008, 05:16 AM
I'll read Hill's draft diary. I will not believe what the player says after the fact. I fully believe Batum was the target and they got stymied. They had to pull Hill sooner than they wanted.

Because Pop is too proud to say that his number one choice was off the board when they picked. Instead, because he has soooo much pride he decided to say every pick they wanted was available. :lmao

Dude, live in your little bubble world.

timvp
06-27-2008, 05:19 AM
Last year the Spurs flat out said Splitter was their second pick. Pop and RC both sound like Hill was their man. But this Batum news makes me unsure about which was their man.

Although like I've been saying for the last few days, the Spurs had good intel that Batum was going to Portland one way or another. Portland buying a pick to get Batum was not a surprise at all from what I've heard.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 05:23 AM
I don't read a promise in that draft diary. Pretty dubious, but whatever. So the Spurs promised two players. Or one player is lying. Meanwhile there's a bit of fishiness with the physical and the league-wide email the team sent off the day before the draft you fail to account for. What was that, cover up? Just an inside joke? A code to meet at Cheesecake Factory?

Nah, what I read in that draft diary is, once Batum got picked, the Spurs called George Hill's camp and let them know he was their selection. They knew before the crowd knew.

But no, your explanation is so much better.

xapatan2
06-27-2008, 05:28 AM
Last year the Spurs flat out said Splitter was their second pick. Pop and RC both sound like Hill was their man. But this Batum news makes me unsure about which was their man.

Although like I've been saying for the last few days, the Spurs had good intel that Batum was going to Portland one way or another. Portland buying a pick to get Batum was not a surprise at all from what I've heard.

I talked about the Batum deception in the other thread ( "Houston...f..)

I' ve been following closely the Batum story these days and knowing a bit his behaviour and the way he talks to the press, I can tell you he is not dreaming when he refers to Pop assuring him to take place in the rotation directly this year...

I am quite well deceived, Batum is one of the few steals of the draft !

Xap'

anakha
06-27-2008, 05:34 AM
I talked about the Batum deception in the other thread ( "Houston...f..)

I' ve been following closely the Batum story these days and knowing a bit his behaviour and the way he talks to the press, I can tell you he is not dreaming when he refers to Pop assuring him to take place in the rotation directly this year...

I am quite well deceived, Batum is one of the few steals of the draft !

Xap'

So Batum says that Pop said he would put him in the rotation if drafted.

Just to clarify, did Batum also say that the Spurs promised to draft him?

picnroll
06-27-2008, 07:08 AM
Maybe, as I believe Kori alluded to, the Spurs knew going into draft night that Portland were detrmined to make moves that would keep Batum from them so Hill became the Spurs primary target. If that's the case, too bad Spurs couldn't have made a quiet deal to buy one of those earlier picks that were for sale and sprung a last minute trap on the Blazers

Bruno
06-27-2008, 07:16 AM
I can understand why Batum is disappointed.
Spurs were a team with a lot of playing time available for him and he ends up as a third string SF for Blazers..

MaNu4Tres
06-27-2008, 07:18 AM
I can see Batum seasoning overseas for a year or two. Rudy Fernandez is on his way to Portland. Between Roy/Outlaw/ Webster/ Fernandez at the wing positions minutes would be scarce.

picnroll
06-27-2008, 07:26 AM
Batum and his agent should force a trade a la what may have happend with Scola.

urunobili
06-27-2008, 07:27 AM
i would be disappointed too... if he comes over you are destined to the D-League...

mrspurs
06-27-2008, 07:30 AM
batums only problem should be what kind of hybrid to buy first...then worry about all those dognuts rookies bring to practice.......no more no less....go spurs go

xapatan2
06-27-2008, 07:39 AM
So Batum says that Pop said he would put him in the rotation if drafted.

Just to clarify, did Batum also say that the Spurs promised to draft him?

Q : On vous attendait à une place plus basse, du côté de San Antonio.
A : C'est vrai que c'est la stratégie qu'on avait mise en place avec mon agent. La place on s'en fichait un peu parce que quand j'ai rencontré le staff des Spurs, Greg Popovich m'a proposé des choses qui m'ont intéressé. Ils m'ont dit qu'ils voulaient me mettre dans la rotation dès l'année prochaine parce qu'il y a des ailiers assez vieillissants. Ils voulaient vraiment me mettre dans la rotation pour que je sois l'un des ailiers principaux dans un ou deux ans. Mon objectif, c'est vraiment d'aller à San Antonio. Ça s'est joué à un pick près et c'est un peu dommage.

Trans. :

Q : You were expected at a lower place, near San Antonio
A : It's right this is the strategy we settled with my agent. We didn't care really about the place, because when I met the Spurs Staff, Greg Popovich has proposed things that interested me. They told me they wanted to put me in the rotation this year because they have forwards that are getting older and older. They really wanted to set me in the rotation so that I can be one of the principals forwards within one or two years. My objective, is really to go to San Antonio. It happened to be "played" on just one pick close and that's a bit too bad

( end of the trans.)

So, in a way, I truly things Batum was their first choice.

Xap'

Kori Ellis
06-27-2008, 07:43 AM
A : C'est vrai que c'est la stratégie qu'on avait mise en place avec mon agent. La place on s'en fichait un peu parce que quand j'ai rencontré le staff des Spurs, Greg Popovich m'a proposé des choses qui m'ont intéressé. Ils m'ont dit qu'ils voulaient me mettre dans la rotation dès l'année prochaine parce qu'il y a des ailiers assez vieillissants. Ils voulaient vraiment me mettre dans la rotation pour que je sois l'un des ailiers principaux dans un ou deux ans. Mon objectif, c'est vraiment d'aller à San Antonio. Ça s'est joué à un pick près et c'est un peu dommage.

Trans. :

A : It's right this is the strategy we settled with my agent. We didn't care really about the place, because when I met the Spurs Staff, Greg Popovich has proposed things that interested me. They told me they wanted to put me in the rotation this year because they have forwards that are getting older and older. They really wanted to set me in the rotation so that I can be one of the principals forwards within one or two years. My objective, is really to go to San Antonio. It happened to be "played" on just one pick close and that's a bit too bad

( end of the trans.)

Xap'

By what you translated, I think it just means that Pop told him IF they draft him that he'd get playing time here because the Spurs have older wings. I don't think it indicates they promised to draft him or that Batum was their first choice.

Again, they told Hill that if he was available at 26, they'd draft him too. So we'll never know who was actually the first choice. I think Hill was.

xapatan2
06-27-2008, 07:52 AM
By what you translated, I think it just means that Pop told him IF they draft him that he'd get playing time here because the Spurs have older wings. I don't think it indicates they promised to draft him or that Batum was their first choice.

Again, they told Hill that if he was available at 26, they'd draft him too. So we'll never know who was actually the first choice. I think Hill was.

I know, he doesn't talk about a promise, but that's what i "understand" between the lines...

Question is : which is more difficult ? finding a good back up for the point or a future good starter for the wings ?

I don't know. You're totally right stating we'll never know... ( well, you might be able to, with yours relations in san antonio .. :) )

Xap'

Kori Ellis
06-27-2008, 07:56 AM
I know, he doesn't talk about a promise, but that's what i "understand" between the lines...

Question is : which is more difficult ? finding a good back up for the point or a future good starter for the wings ?

I don't know. You're totally right stating we'll never know... ( well, you might be able to, with yours relations in san antonio .. :) )

Xap'

I think that the Spurs chose to find a backup point in the draft because they can find a wing in free agency. There aren't very many good backup points in free agency.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2008, 08:04 AM
I think that the Spurs chose to find a backup point in the draft because they can find a wing in free agency. There aren't very many good backup points in free agency.

I agree. If the Spurs have someone that can come in and hold the fort with the second team, allowing Vaughn to fill in when appropriate, then the Spurs can put a fresh Manu and Tony in to finish out games. That's very big, and much more likely at that point in the draft than finding a rookie wing that's going to step in and contribute to a good team right away.

picnroll
06-27-2008, 08:07 AM
IF Hill solves the backup PG that removes a thorn in the Spurs side that's been there for many, many years. Parker won't go into the playoffs as beat up and tired. IF Hill can put up points off the bench that's another problem solved. Fingers crossed, hoping Pop works some old magic.

The Truth #6
06-27-2008, 08:10 AM
I don't see how we'll ever know.

It's possible they duped Batum, but I'm equally as dubious about the Spurs claims that they were ecstatic that Hill fell to them. That line felt like Spurs BS just as much as any other line they feed to the press.

I think they wanted Batum, knew that someone else, possibly Portland was going to get him, then at the last second tried to get out of their 26th pick because they knew their backup Hill (Gregg Sutton v.2?) would still be around a few picks later, and because they sent out that email too late no one was able to make a deal and so they were stuck with Hill at the 26th, even though they thought they could get him later.

At least that's one theory on what transpired...

Or, they wanted Hill all along and thought he would be gone a few picks later.

SenorSpur
06-27-2008, 08:13 AM
IF Hill solves the backup PG that removes a thorn in the Spurs side that's been there for many, many years. Parker won't go into the playoffs as beat up and tired. IF Hill can put up points off the bench that's another problem solved. Fingers crossed, hoping Pop works some old magic.

We thought the same thing 4 years ago when Beno was drafted. With Pop's stringent attitude and rules, there are no guarantees this guy will pan out.

Just as there are no guarantees they will acquire their targeted FA swingman - whoever that is - will pan out.

As far as what is needed at the wing position versus the talent of Batum, it is a collossal disappointment that they didn't land this kid.

Russ
06-27-2008, 08:33 AM
The Spurs got lucky in '01 when Indiana picked Tinsley in the spot just before the Spurs and the Spurs got Parker. They were unlucky this year when Houston took Batum with the pick just before the Spurs. (One French connection, one French miss.)

Hill seems like a reach but if they get rotation minutes from anyone they pick up at 26 this draft has to be considered a success.

SequSpur
06-27-2008, 08:38 AM
Batum was first on the list.......

Bruno
06-27-2008, 08:39 AM
An Batum's disappointment should be that big.
The day before the draft, his agent was interviewed. At the question "What will be the ideal team for Batum?", his first answer was Portland.

I personally think that Portland isn't a good fit for Batum and that he will have a hard time to get playing time with them, but his agent (so likely Batum) seems to think the opposite.

Link to the interview (in French) :
http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/26062008/70/nba-n-diaye-ajinca-plus-haut-que-batum.html

MoSpur
06-27-2008, 08:41 AM
I think the Spurs wanted Batum. I know they did. However, since Houston jacked him, the Spurs went to pick 1-A and selected George Hill.

wildbill2u
06-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Maybe, as I believe Kori alluded to, the Spurs knew going into draft night that Portland were detrmined to make moves that would keep Batum from them so Hill became the Spurs primary target. If that's the case, too bad Spurs couldn't have made a quiet deal to buy one of those earlier picks that were for sale and sprung a last minute trap on the Blazers

Well, Portland's strategy worked out. They wound up with Batum via trade with Rockets.

hater
06-27-2008, 09:58 AM
this is what happened: Spurs were planning to take Batum at 26 and Hill at 45.

but when they lost Batum they did not wanna mess their chances and took Hill

Kori Ellis
06-27-2008, 10:02 AM
this is what happened: Spurs were planning to take Batum at 26 and Hill at 45.

but when they lost Batum they did not wanna mess their chances and took Hill

So, that's why when Hill was working out with San Antonio Pop told him that if he was there at 26, they'd draft him?

anakha
06-27-2008, 10:03 AM

Trans. :

( end of the trans.)

Xap'

Thanks for the translation.

Given that the Hill article does state that the Spurs promised to pick Hill if he was available, I'm more and more inclined to believe that Hill was the first choice all along.

SenorSpur
06-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Based on last year's Scola train robbery, the Rockets should've done the Spurs a solid with Batum. Does anyone know if the Spurs even tried to work a deal with Houston for this kid or was it simply a lost cause from the gitgo?

Also I don't know if this has been discussed, but WTF is Portland and Pritchard doing? I mean stockpiling a boat load of young talent looks good on paper. But they've got virtual logjams at a lot of spots. There's no way they'll be able to pay and keep all those guys.

timvp
06-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Hopefully Ludden writes an article to expose the truth.

tlongII
06-27-2008, 10:06 AM
The Spurs discovered that Houston and Portland were conspiring to screw them over so they couldn't get Batum. This forced them to pick Hill (a mistake imo as Arthur was a better pick). They ended up using a 1st round pick on 2nd round talent. Basically they got PRITCH-SLAPPED! :lol

hater
06-27-2008, 10:06 AM
So, that's why when Hill was working out with San Antonio Pop told him that if he was there at 26, they'd draft him?

add "and Batum is not" and you got it.

zepn
06-27-2008, 10:07 AM
The Spurs FO were a little too "excited" when Houston picked Batum.

Complete conjecture...

Maybe they had promised the pick to Batum, but had since soured on him, or sweetend on Hill (to whom they subsequently also promised the pick). So not only were they happy that Hill had not been chosen, they were absolutely relieved that Batum was off the board. It would explain all of the stories.

Spur-Addict
06-27-2008, 10:09 AM
It doesn't matter, what's done is done. Even if we did want him he's gone now, no need to cry about it or the supposed desire for him.

anakha
06-27-2008, 10:09 AM
PRITCH-SLAPPED!

Props on the trolling attempt, but...

Pritch-slapped?

Ew. Just, ew. :lol

SenorSpur
06-27-2008, 10:10 AM
So that's 2 years in a row the Rockets have "screwed" the Spurs out of potential incoming forward.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2008, 10:12 AM
If you are inclined to spin it that way. Most want to believe the worst.

kobyz
06-27-2008, 10:14 AM
everyone knew that the spurs was gonna pick Batum, even Portland knew that and that why they make the deal with the Rockets - to get Batum instead the spurs.

the spurs should have been made a deal with the Sonics for their 24 pick but R.C and Pop was fall asleep

anakha
06-27-2008, 10:18 AM
everyone knew that the spurs was gonna pick Batum, even Portland knew that and that why they make the deal with the Rockets - to get Batum instead the spurs.

the spurs should have been made a deal with the Sonics for their 24 pick but R.C and Pop was fall asleep

Yeah, it's all a conspiracy against the Spurs.

Right.

SenorSpur
06-27-2008, 10:20 AM
the spurs should have been made a deal with the Sonics for their 24 pick

Now that's what I was looking for

kobyz
06-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Yeah, it's all a conspiracy against the Spurs.

Right.

it's not a conspiracy but it's great move by the Blazers

pad300
06-27-2008, 10:29 AM

I hadn't heard that interview, stating that Splitter was their 2nd choice. Do you know who their 1st choice was?

Kori Ellis
06-27-2008, 10:39 AM
I hadn't heard that interview, stating that Splitter was their 2nd choice. Do you know who their 1st choice was?

They didn't say who it was. But RC said that when they lost who they were looking for at around 20, then Splitter became their man.

oligarchy
06-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Their first choice was Cook, but they couldn't trade up to get him.

timvp
06-27-2008, 10:44 AM
I hadn't heard that interview, stating that Splitter was their 2nd choice. Do you know who their 1st choice was?Daequan Cook turned out to be their first choice. Splitter was second.

You can still watch RC press conference here (http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/draft_2007.html) where he says Splitter was second on their board. If he was open about it last year, I don't think the Spurs would be going out of their way to lie about Hill this year.

It would make a lot more sense to lie about Splitter and praise him to the point where he thinks Pop will give him huge minutes. And conversely, taking a laidback approach with Hill might have given the Spurs a chance to negotiate for a lower rookie salary.

Indazone
06-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Batum ain't coming over. Houston was right to trade him. They screwed both Portland and SA.

duncan228
06-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Hopefully Ludden writes an article to expose the truth.

Let's hope it is Ludden and not McDonald. :lmao

BiZNicK
06-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Aw man, that Frenchie PG combo would have been nice.

El_Mago
06-27-2008, 11:28 AM
The celebration in the war room was due to the fact that San Antonio no longer had to pick between Batum or Hill.

What had occurred was that when Hill came to SA, the Spurs initially told him they would take him at 26 because they liked his work-out and the connection he made. They felt he could fit in.

However, as we got closer to the draft, Batum began to slip and of course speculation over the heart grew. San Antonio now realized that Batum could be a real possibility and could eventually slip to him.

Batum came into San Antonio, got the physical, worked out, and talked plans with the Spurs.

Now, they had promised to pick Hill at 26 during his workout's, but now Batum was a real possibility. How could they pass him up? If he was at 26, then they would of selected him and still quite have possibly gotten Hill in the 2nd too.

However, when Houston came up they selected Batum, and now the Spurs did not have to break their promise to Hill or strongly debate between the both because their decision had been made for them.

If you look back at the draft, when Houston selects Batum, you can see the disappointment on his face. He was one selection away from being a Spur. The kid is even wearing an all black suit with a white/silver tie. He was ready to be a Spur and it never worked out for him.

George Hill? Well, he probably never had an idea at how close he was to the Spurs breaking their promise.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2008, 11:30 AM
SpursTalk: Where speculation is fact.

Indazone
06-27-2008, 11:34 AM
From Daryl Morey on the Radio today. hahah

We knew what they (San Antonio) wanted in this draft. One of the best wing players in Batum, and that his staff knew this. The Rockets also knew what what all the other teams wanted and used it against them, specifically against San Antonio Spurs. Rockets intelligence on other teams allowed the Rockets to get their guy and extra picks.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 11:36 AM

We knew what they (San Antonio) wanted in this draft. One of the best wing players in Batum, and that his staff knew this. The Rockets also knew what what all the other teams wanted and used it against them, specifically against San Antonio Spurs. Rockets intelligence on other teams allowed the Rockets to get their guy and extra picks.

Houston had a really solid draft for being able to read what was going on. Not to mention Portland, which is stacked.

anakha
06-27-2008, 11:37 AM
The celebration in the war room was due to the fact that San Antonio no longer had to pick between Batum or Hill.

What had occurred was that when Hill came to SA, the Spurs initially told him they would take him at 26 because they liked his work-out and the connection he made. They felt he could fit in.

However, as we got closer to the draft, Batum began to slip and of course speculation over the heart grew. San Antonio now realized that Batum could be a real possibility and could eventually slip to him.

Batum came into San Antonio, got the physical, worked out, and talked plans with the Spurs.

Now, they had promised to pick Hill at 26 during his workout's, but now Batum was a real possibility. How could they pass him up? If he was at 26, then they would of selected him and still quite have possibly gotten Hill in the 2nd too.

However, when Houston came up they selected Batum, and now the Spurs did not have to break their promise to Hill or strongly debate between the both because their decision had been made for them.

If you look back at the draft, when Houston selects Batum, you can see the disappointment on his face. He was one selection away from being a Spur. The kid is even wearing an all black suit with a white/silver tie. He was ready to be a Spur and it never worked out for him.

George Hill? Well, he probably never had an idea at how close he was to the Spurs breaking their promise.

Not bad. Almost tabloid-worthy, in fact.

Brutalis
06-27-2008, 12:05 PM
All Batum has to do is throw a fit and cry like a baby, and he'll be a Spur soon enough.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 12:06 PM
All Batum has to do is throw a fit and cry like a baby, and he'll be a Spur soon enough.

??

ChumpDumper
06-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Or just say he'll never leave Europe.

jjktkk
06-27-2008, 12:12 PM

IMO the Spurs had about 3, or 4 prospects on their board, slated at 26. Bantum was maybe rated #1 on their board. Hill was rated #2 and player 3, etc... Remember I'm just speculating here. Every team has a similar system. You have to have some sort of a plan B if the player you want comes off the board.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-27-2008, 12:22 PM

Wow, a Houston radio guy pumping Rockettes sunshine up their fans' asses so they can high five each other about the fact they still are nowhere near a contender to win the title.

I guess you have to rely on spinning convoluted moral victories these days when you've got TMac and Yao on your team.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 12:23 PM
I guess you have to rely on spinning convoluted moral victories these days when you've got TMac and Yao on your team.

??

T Park
06-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Whats the matter body, head farther up your ass than normal today?

wisnub
06-27-2008, 02:49 PM
hopefully we can steal him from Rockets, the way they steal Scola from us. If dude want to go SA,let him be!!! Him and Tony will be good friends

Indazone
06-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Can't steal him from the Rockets. We already traded him to the Trailblazers.

DMX7
06-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Duh, he wanted to play with Tony Parker (another frenchmen).

jag
06-27-2008, 03:11 PM
It really just looks like the Spurs assumed Batum would be gone by #26...so they "promised: Hill he'd be taken at 26. I might always wonder who they'd of taken if both were available. This really isn't on Houston though...i'm pretty sure they made the pick for Portland.

SynicFan
06-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Wow, a Houston radio guy pumping Rockets sunshine up their fans' asses so they can high five each other about the fact they still are nowhere near a contender to win the title.

Ok, so when you win the title you say "we're the champs" to justify your stance to the rest of the 'loser' league....

and when you lose it, you can, at least say " we're closer than you ".

let me explain a little reality to you, my good chum...
there's only one winner. the rest are ALL LOSERS.

write.that.down

jag
06-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Ok, so when you win the title you say "we're the champs" to justify your stance to the rest of the 'loser' league....

and when you lose it, you can, at least say " we're closer than you ".

let me explain a little reality to you, my good chum...
there's only one winner. the rest are ALL LOSERS.

write.that.down

You're right, there's absolutely no difference in a perennial contender and a team that hasn't made it out of the first round since Hakeem...

:rolleyes

Bruno
06-27-2008, 03:20 PM

I highly doubt he will do that. While Batum really wanted to play in SA, he is fine with playing in Portland.

Both Spurs and Blazers wanted him, Blazers got him. Batum won't be a Spurs player and Spurs seems sincerely happy with the hill pick. End of the story.

SynicFan
06-27-2008, 03:22 PM
You're right, there's absolutely no difference in a perennial contender and a team that hasn't made it out of the first round since Hakeem...

:rolleyes

if there are only 2 classifications (winners and losers) then NO...there is no difference.

tell me...what convenient classifications for teams would you like to create?

"teams that are REAL close and have won the championship recently"

:bang

Indazone
06-27-2008, 03:33 PM
if there are only 2 classifications (winners and losers) then NO...there is no difference.

tell me...what convenient classifications for teams would you like to create?

"teams that are REAL close and have won the championship recently"

:bang

Well...

As they say, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

SynicFan
06-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Well...

INDAZONE...
Original Rockets logo.....SWEEET! thats the sign of a true fan....

also, intelligence!

SynicFan
06-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Can't steal him from the Rockets. We already traded him to the Trailblazers.

and what a brilliant move that was!....

SynicFan
06-27-2008, 04:00 PM
it's not a conspiracy but it's great move by the Blazers

also...brilliant move by CLUTCH CITY.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-27-2008, 04:01 PM
also...brilliant move by CLUTCH CITY.

We can read regular text just fine.

angelbelow
06-27-2008, 04:01 PM
hahaha i guess batum was wearing a black suit white shirt silver tie.

SynicFan
06-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Batum and his agent should force a trade a la what may have happend with Scola.

oh come on guys...
you are beginning to sound like Mavwreck fans with all the Scola talk.
he's gone. gone gone gone.

SynicFan
06-27-2008, 04:05 PM
We can read regular text just fine.

then why have the option?
i mean really.
lets tell McDonalds to stop giving us options on their menu's.
cause we're American's. we dont like to think. we like things laid out for us.

LakerHater
06-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Didn't this kid fail a stress test?!?

Indazone
06-27-2008, 04:07 PM
lol another Rockets Mav hater.

Indazone
06-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Didn't this kid fail a stress test?!?

He did. He had a bad ticker and his dad died of a massive heart attack during a game at the free throw line. Just be glad as Spurs and Rockets fans that neither of us got him.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-27-2008, 04:08 PM
then why have the option?
i mean really.
lets tell McDonalds to stop giving us options on their menu's.
cause we're American's. we dont like to think. we like things laid out for us.

That would be a good thing.
McDonalds sucks.

SynicFan
06-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Batum also said that Pop tell him that he wanted to put him in the rotation as soon as next year because they had aging swingmen.

Anyway, no Batum, F Portland...

i think you mean F CLUTCH CITY... :hat

SynicFan
06-27-2008, 04:13 PM
That would be a good thing.
McDonalds sucks.

yeah, that clarifies it all.

LakerHater
06-27-2008, 04:13 PM
He did. He had a bad ticker and his dad died of a massive heart attack during a game at the free throw line. Just be glad as Spurs and Rockets fans that neither of us got him.
That's sad news.

underdawg
06-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Well...

very true, but not getting close for so long has got to suck - I'm only speculating since we really haven't had to experience that in a long time.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-27-2008, 04:15 PM
yeah, that clarifies it all.

I agree.

SynicFan
06-27-2008, 04:17 PM
not sad...reality.

Reality Bites.

write that down

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-27-2008, 04:19 PM
not sad...reality.

Reality Bites.

write that down

Okay.

SynicFan
06-27-2008, 04:19 PM
very true, but not getting close for so long has got to suck - I'm only speculating since we really haven't had to experience that in a long time.

you havent had to experience that in a long time?
are you serious?!

objective
06-27-2008, 04:32 PM
lol @ this "But the Spurs promised Hill they'd take him! They couldn't be interested in Batum!"

Give me a break.

Toronto promised Roko Leni Ukic they'd take him in the first if he was on the board too. They broke their promise when a better option in their minds slipped to them. Then when they took him in the second, he wasn't very forgiving.

oligarchy
06-27-2008, 04:32 PM
you havent had to experience that in a long time?
are you serious?!

The operative words there are, "for so long." The meaning, as an example, would be not getting past the first round year after year. Reading comprehension does help, really.

SynicFan
06-27-2008, 04:42 PM
The operative words there are, "for so long." The meaning, as an example, would be not getting past the first round year after year. Reading comprehension does help, really.

yeah i noticed that but didnt care to change my post. it seemed so....

pointless.

Bruno
06-27-2008, 04:47 PM
i think you mean F CLUTCH CITY... :hat

Stop thinking, it doesn't work.
I meant F Portland. Rockets have nothing to do with that.

tlongII
06-27-2008, 04:55 PM
You've all been...

PRITCH-SLAPPED!

SynicFan
06-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Stop thinking, it doesn't work.
I meant F Portland. Rockets have nothing to do with that.

oh yeah!

no, you're absolutely correct.
CLUTCH CITY had nothing to do with it.
they weren't even involved in the trade!

i stand corrected. BRAVO TO YOU GOOD SIR!

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-27-2008, 05:20 PM
lol, clutch city

tp2021
06-27-2008, 05:23 PM
"cynic" is with a "C" i think

SynicFan
06-27-2008, 05:28 PM
"cynic" is with a "C" i think

you are correct my good chum...
tp2021 is with....uh....

yeah, i got nuthin.

jack sommerset
06-27-2008, 05:38 PM
he is on a good team. i think houston is capable of getting to the finals if healty. you can say that about 4-5 west teams but anyways he will get a good look being on houston.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 05:49 PM
he is on a good team. i think houston is capable of getting to the finals if healty. you can say that about 4-5 west teams but anyways he will get a good look being on houston.

He's been traded to Portland.

jack sommerset
06-27-2008, 08:11 PM
He's been traded to Portland.

Interesting. Who knows who will emerge from all that young talent.

intlspurshk
06-27-2008, 09:10 PM
I don't understand whether SPURS are serious in getting Batum. If so, they can arrange a trade with Sonics when Batum was still available. SPURS can draft Ibaka and it didn't like Rockets want to get a player 3-4 years away to be NBA ready.

06-28-2008, 02:31 PM
I translated the entire interview. My conclusion (Blazer fan here)... Popovich is a filthy liar! And keep dreaming if you expect him to demand a trade to the Spurs, he seems reasonably happy with Portland.

Nicolas Batum experienced a fairly irritating evening, Thursday at the organized draft at Madison Square Garden. While he was imagining himself with the San Antonio Spurs, he was chosen 25th by Houston before being traded several minutes later with Portland. The disappointment over, the ex-Manceau (Le Mans) remains positive. “It's the second best choice for me.”

Nicolas Batum, you were drafted by Houston, and finally it's Portland where you will put down your suit cases.
Yes, that's it. In fact, I think that before taking me, Houston had made a deal with Portland to trade a Blazer for me.

You were expected at a lower slot, with San Antonio.
It's true that that's the strategy we had put in place with my agent. We didn't really care about the place (exact draft position) because when I met the Spurs' staff, Greg Popovich proposed things which interested me. They told me that they wanted to put me in the rotation as soon as next year because there are aging wings. They really wanted to put me in the rotation so that I would be one of the principal wings in one or two years. My objective, it's really to go to San Antonio. It was just a pick away from happening and it's a bit of a shame.

One sensed you were disappointed when you heard your name.
A little, it's true. But now the game (situation) in Portland is very interesting. Portland is a very young team, with lots of players from my generation, and I think that there will be very good times (?) next year.

How did the draft happen for you, at the side of Alexis Ajinca?
The paradox for me in the draft is that at each pick, I was praying to not be taken...waiting the 26th! It's paradoxical because everyone wants to be picked high, while personally I was praying to not be taken until 26... and I was taken at 25! It's too bad but oh well, it's not serious. For me now the important thing is that Portland is a good team, it's really interesting for young players. I believe that it's the second best choice for me.

What are you going to bring to the Blazers?
My energy, my general sense of the game. As it's a very young team, I'm going to try to fit in the mold (?) to truly take advantage of this experience.

Good luck to the Spurs next season, see you in the playoffs!

Spurtacus
06-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Can Batum flat out say he only wants to play for the Spurs and demand a trade to them? Maybe the Spurs can trade their 09 picks?

Bruno
06-28-2008, 02:59 PM
My conclusion (Blazer fan here)... Popovich is a filthy liar!

Care to explain ?

06-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Care to explain ?

From my understanding, he (or at least the Spurs) made first round promises to both Batum and Hill. Anyway, it was just intended as idle banter, please don't take offense. Forgive me if I'm still giddy after the draft. (thanks for Kevin Pritchard, by the way)

Bruno
06-28-2008, 03:13 PM
From my understanding, he (or at least the Spurs) made first round promises to both Batum and Hill.

You quite speculate there. We only know that Spurs like a lot both.

Anyway, good luck with Blazers and Batum. He is a true jewel.
I just hope Blazers won't put him in the doghouse with their deep roster. Batum deserves to have a fair chance in NBA.

T Park
06-28-2008, 03:14 PM
From my understanding, he (or at least the Spurs) made first round promises to both Batum and Hill. Anyway, it was just intended as idle banter, please don't take offense. Forgive me if I'm still giddy after the draft. (thanks for Kevin Pritchard, by the way)

Better hope Oden really isnt 96.

Without him they are still just a mediocre team.

Spurtacus
06-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Better hope Oden really isnt 96.

Without him they are still just a mediocre team.

They will make the playoffs without him.

montgod
06-28-2008, 04:35 PM
From what I have read, Batum wont even come over this year... so a trade could still be a possibility, but he won't be in the plans this year.

I think its more realistic to try and trade for Portland's other young SF like Outlaw or Webster (more a SG imo) then to worry about Batum at this point.

I for one am just curious to know why the Spurs FO didn't think about purchasing someone else's draft picks. Seems like there were some decent players purchased, but they are the pros, not me.

We will see what happens when FA opens up.

SPURSGOAT
06-28-2008, 04:53 PM
From what I have read, Batum wont even come over this year... so a trade could still be a possibility, but he won't be in the plans this year.

Really!? I thought he would be at least in the D-League this year if not on the roster... but he is with Portland now and they have a glutton of real young and real good talent/potential now... Wonder if alot of that is for trade bait...

Biggems
06-28-2008, 05:03 PM
I think if both would have been there at 26, the Spurs would have drafted Batum, then immediately found a way to trade up and get Hill.

Bruno
06-28-2008, 05:03 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1214621750117780.xml&coll=7

Pritchard said the rangy and athletic Batum likely will come to the United States and be on the Blazers' roster next season, in large part because he doesn't have a buyout clause in his overseas contract, forcing the Blazers to make a commitment. Other foreign players the Blazers have drafted -- Petteri Koponen and Joel Freeland -- have buyout clauses in their European contracts, allowing the Blazers to decide when they want to bring the player over.

"He's probably not ready for the NBA," Pritchard said of the gangly and raw 19-year-old Batum.

Batum wants to come and Blazers want to let him overseas.

I truly think what happens is quite a disaster for Batum. He needs some playing time to improve and he won't get it with Blazers behind Outlaw and Webster. The future doesn't look bright for Batum because both are young players.
He will end up on the bench with Rodiguez or in the great city of Boise.

Blazers and KP reminds me a spoiled child who have damn rich parents. He can get all the toys of the world so he gets them without wondering if he needs them.
The problem is that these toys are human being and at the end he will likely fuck up the career of players like Batum.

Batum is a nice guy and a heck of a talent. I really feel sorry for him.

picnroll
06-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Batum is going to be sent to the D-league a la Mahinmi. Blazers ultimately will run the risk of having too much talent and some very disgruntled players. Batum could well be one of them. I can't imagine why Batum's agent is happy about him going to Portland. That'd be the last place he or his agent should want him to end up.

ChumpDumper
06-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Batum is going to help the Stampede repeat next season.

Freeze
06-28-2008, 05:17 PM
I can't imagine why Batum's agent is happy about him going to Portland. That'd be the last place he or his agent should want him to end up.

I believe he is happy because the Blazers really wanted him, even if their plans aren't the same the Spurs had for him :depressed

I wish him easier debut than Diaw had in Atlanta :bang

Bruno
06-28-2008, 05:25 PM
Batum is going to help the Stampede repeat next season.

F them and their coach who is a cheater.

Go Toros.

tav1
06-28-2008, 05:29 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1214621750117780.xml&coll=7

Batum wants to come and Blazers want to let him overseas.

I truly think what happens is quite a disaster for Batum. He needs some playing time to improve and he won't get it with Blazers behind Outlaw and Webster. The future doesn't look bright for Batum because both are young players.
He will end up on the bench with Rodiguez or in the great city of Boise.

Blazers and KP reminds me a spoiled child who have damn rich parents. He can get all the toys of the world so he gets them without wondering if he needs them.
The problem is that these toys are human being and at the end he will likely fuck up the career of players like Batum.

Batum is a nice guy and a heck of a talent. I really feel sorry for him.

Maybe he should demand a trade. The Spurs 2011 draft pick is available.:lol

coachmac87
06-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Who Gives A Fuck About Batum....he Is Not A Spur And Never Will Be.

tav1
06-28-2008, 05:47 PM
The Batum situation is unfortunate. Maybe the Blazers trade him for the TE, the cash it cost to buy him and a future pick. Not sure the Spurs would do that...in fact, I'm sure they wouldn't. But the Blazers don't have roster space and could live without the headache of his not wanting to be there. They'd come out ahead by a pick in that scenario, which would make Pritchard happy.

timvp
06-28-2008, 05:48 PM
If I'm Batum, I'm pretty pissed. He can't be too pissed publicly right now because he's property of the Blazers but he got screwed. If Pop told him that he could play right away, I believe Pop and that would have been a great opportunity for Batum. 10 to 15 minutes off the bench a night would have done wonders for his career. Couple more years he'd be ready for a big role if all went as planned.

I also feel sorry for Batum because he was dressed in black and silver attire and ready and willing to give up millions to come to San Antonio. Blazers ruined that plan but for what reason? He doesn't project to get minutes in Portland for a long time. Maybe if they dump a few swingmen but even then he doesn't fit as nicely as he would in San Antonio.

D-League won't help Batum at all. He's an unselfish player whose best part of his game is playing well within a team concept. Team concepts don't really exist in the D-League.

For the Spurs, I'm not convinced who their first option was. It could have been Batum or it could have been Hill. Perhaps the Spurs tried to lockup Batum because they thought Hill would be off the board. Who knows, the Spurs could have secretly been relieved that Batum was off the board and Hill was on the board so they wouldn't have to decide between two players they gave promises to.

Truthfully, the offseason could work out better with Hill than Batum. With the way this draft was, there were no halfway decent point guards in the second round. Batum, Hairston and Gist wouldn't have made any sense. The Spurs would have had to maybe go big, which wasn't that much of a need. Additionally, with Batum instead of Hill, the Spurs would have had to scramble for a point guard in free agency ... and there really isn't anyone affordable who is much better than Vaughn.

This is going to be interesting to look back on in a few years. Hill will end up being compared to Batum, Arthur, Chalmers and Greene. If Hairston defies the odds and becomes something, he's an asset the Spurs never would have looked at with Batum.

The Spurs could actually be better off without him depending on how things pan out so there isn't really anything for Spurs fans to feel sorry for. Hill sounds eager to learn from Parker, Pop already likes him and he will be given a golden opportunity to succeed. I wish nothing but the best for Batum because he did everything in his power to become a Spur. Huge props to him and hopefully he gets time sooner than later.

kobyz
06-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Fuck the Blazers

timvp
06-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Oh and if the Spurs REALLY wanted Batum, they could have traded with Presti at 24. 26 and 45 for 24 would be a no-brainer for Presti. Then Presti could have still gotten Ibaka at 26 plus yet another asset to use in the second round. No way the Rockets take Ibaka at 25 with Greene on the board -- the player they wanted the whole time.

But it sounds like once 24 rolled around, the Spurs knew they'd get either Batum or Hill and were fine with either.

kobyz
06-28-2008, 05:58 PM
maybe Batum can demand a trade to the Spurs if the Blazers dont let him to come this season

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Who Gives A Fuck About Batum....he Is Not A Spur And Never Will Be.

How do you know?

kobyz
06-28-2008, 06:03 PM
the Blazers become my NO' 1 most hated team after what they do to us and Batum

tav1
06-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Oh and if the Spurs REALLY wanted Batum, they could have traded with Presti at 24. 26 and 45 for 24 would be a no-brainer for Presti. Then Presti could have still gotten Ibaka at 26 plus yet another asset to use in the second round. No way the Rockets take Ibaka at 25 with Greene on the board -- the player they wanted the whole time.

But it sounds like once 24 rolled around, the Spurs knew they'd get either Batum or Hill and were fine with either.

Absolutely. No one, other than the Sonics, were drafting Ibaka in round 1, per his agents request. Presti and the Spurs would have done that deal.

It may be that the Spurs were really high on Hairston too. Not wanting to give up 45. Who knows. Something doesn't square, though.

LakerHater
06-28-2008, 06:04 PM

Oh hey, maybe somewhere down the road Presti can help us out and give us K.D. for nothing!! http://db.funformobile.com/images/smiles/cool.gif (javascript:emoticon('form_text','8-)'))

Bruno
06-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Ibaka and Seattle had maybe an agreement that they could use the 24th pick on him but not a later one.
Even if the difference is small, a 26th pick get less money than a 24th pick. Given Ibaka contract situation in Spain, he could be in a case where every dollar is important.

Pucho!!!
06-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Who cares about Batum? We got George Hill and I cant wait to see what he's got:toast

Spurtacus
06-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Can Batum flat out say he only wants to play for the Spurs and demand a trade to them? Maybe the Spurs can trade their 09 picks?

Any thoughts on this?

Mr. Body
06-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Interesting stuff. Really pisses me off about Portland here. What assholes. I mean this as someone who likes Batum, regardless of whether the Spurs were after him or not. At this point I think he can stay out of pro basketball a year and make his draft rights vanish, am I right? Or is that just 2nd round picks? All he can do now is threaten never to play for the Blazers and hope for a trade. For my part, I hope the Spurs still try to acquire him. Even yet another young player on the roster, it'd be a great pick-up.

Spurtacus
06-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Bonner + 2 '09 second round picks + the Phoenix money for Batum.

I can dream.

Mr. Body
06-28-2008, 10:07 PM
Bonner + 2 '09 second round picks + the Phoenix money for Batum.

I can dream.

Bonner isn't included, because Batum doesn't have a salary at this point. The rest I'd do in a heartbeat, but reading the article it seems Pritchard is set on doing what he will with the player.

Harry Callahan
06-28-2008, 10:20 PM
It's pretty clear Portland is piling up assets to use down the road. I hope they do alienate Batum in Portland. It sounds like they screwed up his best situation. Maybe they have to unload him for pennies on the dollar in the future. Their GM seems to be an attention whore anyway.

A.H 21-50
06-28-2008, 10:36 PM
very bad situation for him
the only good thing if he didn't play is that he could be traded more easily

having a player like batum and not playing him sucks

i hope for him to play or to be traded in a team where he can show his talent as san antonio

Man of Steel
06-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Interesting stuff. Really pisses me off about Portland here. What assholes. I mean this as someone who likes Batum, regardless of whether the Spurs were after him or not. At this point I think he can stay out of pro basketball a year and make his draft rights vanish, am I right? Or is that just 2nd round picks? All he can do now is threaten never to play for the Blazers and hope for a trade. For my part, I hope the Spurs still try to acquire him. Even yet another young player on the roster, it'd be a great pick-up.

I agree totally.

I thought there was a precedent for a player to just openly refuse to go to a certain team that drafts him. Does anyone recall?

A.H 21-50
06-28-2008, 10:50 PM
I agree totally.

I thought there was a precedent for a player to just openly refuse to go to a certain team that drafts him. Does anyone recall?

Steve Francis

Spur-Addict
06-28-2008, 10:51 PM
I agree totally.

Francis did something when Vancouver drafted him. I don't remember if they just said w/e and just traded him. Or, if he had some sort of case.

Mr. Body
06-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Danny Ferry just went to Europe for a year or so. I don't think Batum has the same clout as these guys.

Portland has already bought the pick outright from New Orleans, then traded it with an early 2nd round pick (Joey Dorsey) to get Batum. I doubt they sell him off after that.

SPURSGOAT
06-28-2008, 10:57 PM
wonder if his agent can do anything bout it... probably not...

Man of Steel
06-28-2008, 11:00 PM
I forget the guy's name--from last year (or the year before)--the oriental player who flat out refused to play for the team that drafted him. What ever happened in that situation?

Mr. Body
06-28-2008, 11:01 PM
I forget the guy's name--from last year (or the year before)--the oriental player who flat out refused to play for the team that drafted him. What ever happened in that situation?

Uh, oriental is not the prefered nomenclature, dude.

... anyway, Yi Jianlian has been traded to the Nets now, probably a better market for him.

Spurtacus
06-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Bonner isn't included, because Batum doesn't have a salary at this point. The rest I'd do in a heartbeat, but reading the article it seems Pritchard is set on doing what he will with the player.

Doh. I wanted to move Bonner for Batum. :depressed

angelbelow
06-28-2008, 11:12 PM
the TE could do it too right? i mean batum is a late first rounder, how big is his contract?

koriwhat
06-29-2008, 12:03 AM
kobe refused and got traded.... yep. right?

DPG21920
06-29-2008, 12:07 AM
Don't use my stuff Mr. Body! I'm not lebowski, I'm the dude. I need a Caucasian

DPG21920
06-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Why is everyone so high on Batum. I mean, I have not seen anything (physical play or projected numbers) that lead me to the conclusion that he would step in and play.

Mr. Body
06-29-2008, 12:16 AM
Why is everyone so high on Batum. I mean, I have not seen anything (physical play or projected numbers) that lead me to the conclusion that he would step in and play.

Not right away, but he's a good kid with exceptional physical gifts and a real skill set already (good court sense, defensive-oriented, outside shooting) at a position we've been desperate to fill since Sean went down.

Spurtacus
06-29-2008, 12:20 AM
Not right away, but he's a good kid with exceptional physical gifts and a real skill set already (good court sense, defensive-oriented, outside shooting) at a position we've been desperate to fill since Sean went down.

And he wants to win. This isn't about money. He recognizes how great the Spurs organization is.

SenorSpur
06-29-2008, 12:45 AM
And he wants to win. This isn't about money. He recognizes how great the Spurs organization is.

Obviously. And Batum sees how beneficial the organization, the team infrastructure and opportunity to develop has been to his countryman - Tony Parker.

Mr. Body
06-29-2008, 12:52 AM
It is interesting that after an interview where Batum says he'd rather play for a 'Phoenix type' faster offense than a 'Spurs type' slower paced offense he pulled out all the stops to get on the Spurs. Alas.

Spurtacus
06-29-2008, 01:47 AM
Obviously. And Batum sees how beneficial the organization, the team infrastructure and opportunity to develop has been to his countryman - Tony Parker.

and hopefully Mahinmi will follow!

the trio...Fearless Frenchman. Maybe something more creative than that. :flag:

Mr. Body
06-29-2008, 01:54 AM
and hopefully Mahinmi will follow!

the trio...Fearless Frenchman. Maybe something more creative than that. :flag:

Uh... Three Musketeers, of course.

But we only have two.

timaios
06-29-2008, 02:00 AM
Uh... Three Musketeers, of course.

But we only have two.

...and the 3 musketeers were 4 !!!
Athos, Porthos, Aramis & d'Artagnan.

:p:

Mr. Body
06-29-2008, 02:07 AM
...and the 3 musketeers were 4 !!!
Athos, Porthos, Aramis & d'Artagnan.

:p:

Well, at the end of the book, right? Not at the beginning.

Milo
06-29-2008, 05:33 AM
Add Mickael Pietrus and voila!

Specialk610
06-29-2008, 05:57 AM
I was really looking forward to picking this guy. it was interesting to see that article about him wanting to play for us, it just sucks we were one pick away from getting him. We should have made a deal with the sonics for the 24th pick or something to take this guy, and then spend the 26th on hill. i would have would have felt good about this draft had we got batum. i saw a lot of potential with this guy, but i guess in the end its just speculation. anyway, maybe in the future we can team him up with his french pals.

Obstructed_View
06-29-2008, 06:31 AM
I'm actually kind of glad the Spurs missed out on him. It'll just make it that much easier to sign Greg Oden when he becomes a FA.

silk
06-29-2008, 09:06 AM
I was really looking forward to picking this guy. it was interesting to see that article about him wanting to play for us, it just sucks we were one pick away from getting him. We should have made a deal with the sonics for the 24th pick or something to take this guy, and then spend the 26th on hill. i would have would have felt good about this draft had we got batum. i saw a lot of potential with this guy, but i guess in the end its just speculation. anyway, maybe in the future we can team him up with his french pals.

I guess they tried to do just that but failed, accept the fate :wakeup

AFBlue
06-29-2008, 09:31 AM

Why?

Because...

"Sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about Batum here - Batum from France. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Batum. Batum, from France. And even if he's an athletic man - and Batum was most certainly that. Quite possibly the most athletic in all of France which would place him high in the runnin' for most athletic worldwide. Sometimes there's a man, sometimes, there's a man. Well, I lost my train of thought here. But... aw, hell. I've done introduced it enough."

- The Stranger (adapted)

TDMVPDPOY
06-29-2008, 09:33 AM
wtf do you want 4 frenchmen on the team when they havnt won shit together on the national team? if it doesnt work on the international scene, what will make it work in the nba?

Freeze
06-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Well, at the end of the book, right? Not at the beginning.

I'm not certain, but I think some of them retire when Dartagnan become musketeer :wakeup

Freeze
06-29-2008, 10:00 AM
wtf do you want 4 frenchmen on the team when they havnt won shit together on the national team? if it doesnt work on the international scene, what will make it work in the nba?

TP and Pietrus have already played together and won a bronze meadal at the Euro in 2005. They also won gold with Diaw, Turiaf, Diawara, etc at the sub-18 Euro.

Batum is only 19 and has never played for the French NT yet.

Alain
06-29-2008, 10:11 AM
France is gifted with lots of great black/mixed athletes. Public schools and clubs give them the oportunity to learn their favorite sport the right way: fundamentals, skills, team and defense oriented.
Since the Jordan worldwide blast, BB is amongst their favorite sports and we are starting to see the results.

The relative lack of results of the NT is more a question of assembling a real team than a matter of individual qualities. Add the fact that most of these guys are more suited for the NBA, and dream to play there at any cost since they can walk, and you got a great combination that should produce great players.

Next year gem: Edwin Jackson :)

Bruno
06-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Next year gem: Edwin Jackson :)

He will play next year in ProB. You will have to wait little on him.

France has now a bunch of young and talented guards (Beaubois, De Colo, Jackson, MBaye and Diot). I'm not sure one of them will be good enough to become a great NBA prospect.
I will be also curious to see what Christophe Leonard will do this summer and next year. He is a very young but he could tum as the real deal.

lotr1trekkie
06-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Batum would have been in Austin for a year. We'll see how Portland works him into their rotation. Players his age don't like sitting for years. Remember Jermaine O'Neill

ChumpDumper
06-29-2008, 04:56 PM
We'll see how Portland works him into their rotation.You mean Idaho.

Bruno
06-29-2008, 06:12 PM
Batum would have been in Austin for a year.

No, he would have been in the rotation in his first year and that's a reason why he wanted so badly to be drafted by Spurs.

DPG21920
11-20-2008, 01:01 AM
Batum has really impressed me. It looks like he can be a very good player if he keeps that demeanor and works hard.

galvatron3000
11-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Batum is poised to become a star but if he likes, he can always wait three years and sign with the Spurs and joined TP as the new look Spurs take the court, Ian, Tony and Nicolas

galvatron3000
11-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Batum is poised to become a star but if he likes, he can always wait three years and sign with the Spurs and joined TP as the new look Spurs take the court, Ian, Tony and Nicolas the French Connection

Cant_Be_Faded
11-20-2008, 10:43 AM
sorry galvatron, but a young, up and coming, talented, long small forward free agent signing? You are dreaming.

tav1
11-20-2008, 11:05 AM
I wrote about the Hill-Batum connection on Monday. If you're interested, you can find it here (http://48minutesofhell.blogspot.com/2008/11/george-hills-strange-start.html).

galvatron3000
11-20-2008, 11:32 AM
sorry galvatron, but a young, up and coming, talented, long small forward free agent signing? You are dreaming.

so are you saying when he becomes a free agent he will not be able to sign with another team? Portland is stacked and if he is not happy with his playing time or role in 3 years he can go anywhere he like and with the Spurs having French players already there a level of comfort could presuade him to join them or elsewhere. It's a realistic dream

tav1
11-20-2008, 11:39 AM
so are you saying when he becomes a free agent he will not be able to sign with another team? Portland is stacked and if he is not happy with his playing time or role in 3 years he can go anywhere he like and with the Spurs having French players already there a level of comfort could presuade him to join them or elsewhere. It's a realistic dream

It digs a little, too much so perhaps, into the Spurs 2010 money, but Portland might well part with Martell Webster. He's the odd duck out at wing, and they wouldn't mind shedding his contract prior to next summer, I'm sure. Too bad for the Spurs that they don't have anything to offer. Maybe the Blazers would do Udoka, Bonner and a second for Webster. Doubtful, but maybe. Just a stray thought.

FWIW: Webster is a good, not great defender, who is fairly effective as an offensive player. He has some ability to get to the rim and is good as a three point shooter. Long term, I think he is a better fit for the Spurs than Udoka. He won't play for Portland, but he could start at sf for the Spurs.

galvatron3000
11-20-2008, 11:47 AM
It digs a little, too much so perhaps, into the Spurs 2010 money, but Portland might well part with Martell Webster. He's the odd duck out at wing, and they wouldn't mind shedding his contract prior to next summer, I'm sure. Too bad for the Spurs that they don't have anything to offer. Maybe the Blazers would do Udoka, Bonner and a second for Webster. Doubtful, but maybe. Just a stray thought.

FWIW: Webster is a good, not great defender, who is fairly effective as an offensive player. He has some ability to get to the rim and is good as a three point shooter. Long term, I think he is a better fit for the Spurs than Udoka. He won't play for Portland, but he could start at sf for the Spurs.

Sounds good but as you say I doubt Portland goes for it, Spurs problem is they dont have much value to offer anyone and if they did they would have absolutely no reason to move them. Portland has value and to move them they would more likely be looking to reduce salary, gain veteran experience or grab future 1 round picks. I'd like to see the Spurs move a few guys but I'm anxious to see what Ian will bring to the team before anything is done, it will give a better indication of what the FO will try to do by the deadline

tav1
11-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Sounds good but as you say I doubt Portland goes for it, Spurs problem is they dont have much value to offer anyone and if they did they would have absolutely no reason to move them. Portland has value and to move them they would more likely be looking to reduce salary, gain veteran experience or grab future 1 round picks. I'd like to see the Spurs move a few guys but I'm anxious to see what Ian will bring to the team before anything is done, it will give a better indication of what the FO will try to do by the deadline

Agreed. I think Portland will make a move this season. They have LaFrentz, Webster, Rodriguez, Frye and Diogu to offer up. But if they can't land a big vet, they'll shed cap.

Increasingly, I think the Spurs will have to include Udoka in any potential trade package. I also think we could see them pull trigger closer to December 16 than February.

galvatron3000
11-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Agreed. I think Portland will make a move this season. They have LaFrentz, Webster, Rodriguez, Frye and Diogu to offer up. But if they can't land a big vet, they'll shed cap.

Increasingly, I think the Spurs will have to include Udoka in any potential trade package. I also think we could see them pull trigger closer to December 16 than February.

In regards to the highlighted comments you made, I believe attempts to gauge interests have begun but I think evaluating the team when Ian joins is high on their list before making a move, unless(which I doubt) there's a good trade on the table. Udoka will probably have to be move so I agree with that assessment. I'm interested to find out what the FO and Pop believe their need is with everyone included, I personally feel rebounding is the issue that needs to be addressed and if Ian helps tremendously in that area then a rebounding Sf. Who that is not to sure but I always thought Artest would have helped the Spurs if they could have gotten him last season. I think he'd actually fit better with SA than Houston and he'd surely help out right now with the injuries. Wishful thinking I know, lol.

On the same note, I think Houston should seriously consider trading McGrady because having two main guys who can't stay healthy is not good and with Artest you have some leverage, send McGrady elsewhere and see what happens.

SenorSpur
11-20-2008, 01:48 PM
On the same note, I think Houston should seriously consider trading McGrady because having two main guys who can't stay healthy is not good and with Artest you have some leverage, send McGrady elsewhere and see what happens.

Personally, I don't give a damn about Houston. In fact, I'm still pissed at them for the Batum fiasco. I wish them nothing more than 1st round playoff failure - same goes for Portland. :lol

SequSpur
11-20-2008, 08:26 PM
the spurs drafted a point guard and vaughn is still allowed time on the court.

smb...

sexinthatsx
11-21-2008, 03:59 AM

I think if it were the case that portland would part with martell, they wouldn't have resigned him with for 20 million dollars. They could have signed Travis Outlaw instead. Clearly, Martell Webster seems to be in the blazer's long term plans. But Travis Outlaw is a chucker and as much as he'd be a great addition to our team, I'd rather have the spurs try to acquire batum if that's even possible.

tav1
11-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Nico Batum predraft footage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESiXuYzK78A) with the Spurs, courtesy of the Free Darko crew. But it's in French, so I have no idea what he or Ian are saying.

Bruno?

tav1
11-21-2008, 12:18 PM
I think if it were the case that portland would part with martell, they wouldn't have resigned him with for 20 million dollars. They could have signed Travis Outlaw instead. Clearly, Martell Webster seems to be in the blazer's long term plans. But Travis Outlaw is a chucker and as much as he'd be a great addition to our team, I'd rather have the spurs try to acquire batum if that's even possible.

Batum is cheap and Outlaw is a good defender. Webster is the odd man. Resigning a player is not always an indicator that a team intends to stick with a player. Batum and Outlaw are both ungettable at this point.

DPG21920
11-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Batum would have been in Austin for a year. We'll see how Portland works him into their rotation. Players his age don't like sitting for years. Remember Jermaine O'Neill

You mean Idaho.

No, he would have been in the rotation in his first year and that's a reason why he wanted so badly to be drafted by Spurs.

SenorSpur
11-21-2008, 12:40 PM

I agree. I wonder if Portland would be willing to part with Batum for a future #1 pick. I would give up a future pick for him. Other than that, the Spurs will have to wait 2-3 more years to try and get a crack at him.

tav1
11-21-2008, 12:47 PM
I agree. I wonder if Portland would be willing to part with Batum for a future #1 pick. I would give up a future pick for him. Other than that, the Spurs will have to wait 2-3 more years to try and get a crack at him.

Batum is starting in Portland. They're not giving him up. That's a much firmer indicator of commitment than Webster's contract extension. At least, to my mind.

Big P
11-21-2008, 01:11 PM
I have read that because Webster is now signed to a (I think) 4 year $20 mil. deal, he will be easier to move...Portland was smart to lock him up to a nice fair contract, they will now be able to get some real value for him, if & when they decide to move him, but yes Webster is the odd man out & I doubt there is any way, but he would be perfect at the 3 spot for us.

Bruno
11-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Nico Batum predraft footage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESiXuYzK78A) with the Spurs, courtesy of the Free Darko crew. But it's in French, so I have no idea what he or Ian are saying.

Bruno?

When Batum was in SA, he missed his workout with other players because he had a brain scan.
Pop told him that he wanted to see him in a individual workout and after only 7 min of it, he told him "you can stop, I've seen enough of you. I will go back at the office and try to do the necessary to draft you."
Batum's agent don't send Batum's medical report to other teams, he don't answer calls about him and do a "fake" workout in Cleveland to try to trick other teams about Batum having a promise from Spurs.

Anyway, it didn't work and Blazers got him. When you see what he is doing there, he would have been a nice addition but George Hill is a great consolation prize. What will suck for Batum is that he has a great chance to end in the doghouse when Webster will be back. What will suck for Spurs is that he has played too well to be traded by Portland for scrubs. It's a loss-loss situation.

And the beast you see talking at the 1 min mark isn't Dwight Howard...

tav1
11-21-2008, 01:18 PM
When Batum was in SA, he missed his workout with other players because he had a brain scan.
Pop told him that he wanted to see him in a individual workout and after only 7 min of it, he told him "you can stop, I've seen enough of you. I will go back at the office and try to do the necessary to draft you."
Batum's agent don't send Batum's medical report to other teams, he don't answer calls about him and do a "fake" workout in Cleveland to try to trick other teams about Batum having a promise from Spurs.

Anyway, it didn't work and Blazers got him. When you see what he is doing there, he would have been a nice addition but George Hill is a great consolation prize. What will suck for Batum is that he has a great chance to end in the doghouse when Webster will be back. What will suck for Spurs is that he has played too well to be traded by Portland for scrubs. It's a loss-loss situation.

And the beast you see talking at the 1 min mark isn't Dwight Howard...

Thanks, Bruno. You're the best.

tav1
11-21-2008, 01:19 PM
I have read that because Webster is now signed to a (I think) 4 year $20 mil. deal, he will be easier to move...Portland was smart to lock him up to a nice fair contract, they will now be able to get some real value for him, if & when they decide to move him, but yes Webster is the odd man out & I doubt there is any way, but he would be perfect at the 3 spot for us.

+1.

SenorSpur
11-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Batum is starting in Portland. They're not giving him up. That's a much firmer indicator of commitment than Webster's contract extension. At least, to my mind.

Wow. I know he started against us, but I didn't know he was still starting. Very interesting.