PDA

View Full Version : Najera interested in coming to SA

MoSpur
06-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Najera called Dallas, Phoenix and San Antonio other possible landing spots. But the Nuggets get first crack.

"I want to stay in Denver," Najera said. "I love playing for coach (George) Karl, and he's told me he wants me to come back."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jun/26/carter-najera-hope-to-remain-with-nuggets/

AA2120
06-27-2008, 09:45 AM
i dont like him for some reason...i dont know why...

Big P
06-27-2008, 09:46 AM
Please no....

MannyIsGod
06-27-2008, 09:47 AM
I think he'd be a great pickup. Not sure where he fits with then needs but you know what you get with him and you usually get good play.

The Truth #6
06-27-2008, 09:48 AM
I'd always hated him, but he's old and dirty enough now where it feels like he has to play for us. He somehow developed a 3 point shot, though I'm not sure how reliable it is.

Spurminator
06-27-2008, 09:49 AM
I'd take him on the Spurs just because I hate the Spurs playing against him.

mexicanjunior
06-27-2008, 09:51 AM
He couldn't be any worse than Bonner or Horry was last year. I like his hustle, rebounding and willingness to try and defend. Plus, his 3 point shot is decent enough to help when Duncan is collapsed on. Sign him up...

timvp
06-27-2008, 09:52 AM
If the Spurs dump Bonner, Najera is a very good replacement. Especially now that he can suddenly hit three-pointers.

MoSpur
06-27-2008, 09:53 AM
I remember playing against him in HS. Dude was very athletic. It would be good as PR because of his Mexican roots. LOL. I don't think the Spurs pick him up because I don't think he fits a need.

1Parker1
06-27-2008, 10:13 AM
I can see him on the Suns. More likely though, he'll probably stay in Denver.

baseline bum
06-27-2008, 10:13 AM
I wanted him 5 years ago, but anytime I've seen him lately he doesn't look like the defender he once was.

SenorSpur
06-27-2008, 10:14 AM
If the Spurs dump Bonner, Najera is a very good replacement. Especially now that he can suddenly hit three-pointers.

Bring him on. Dump Bonner.

Oops. I guess it depends on which one is cheaper. :lol

MoSpur
06-27-2008, 10:16 AM
They would have to find someone intrested in Matt Bonner. That's going to be hard.

NuGGeTs-FaN
06-27-2008, 10:16 AM
stay in Denver Eddie! Goodness knows he is the only Nuggets player that isn't scared of Duncan, even though he is much bigger :lol

Eddie is all heart. The kind of player that does whatever is needed.

I'll never forget when he had that awesome game vs the Spurs last season. It was another much needed win and he stepped up.

SenorSpur
06-27-2008, 10:18 AM
stay in Denver Eddie! Goodness knows he is the only Nuggets player that isn't scared of Duncan, even though he is much bigger :lol

Eddie is all heart. The kind of player that does whatever is needed.

I'll never forget when he had that awesome game vs the Spurs last season. It was another much needed win and he stepped up.

That must've been the game in Denver where he gave Duncan absolute fits. I saw bring him on.

hater
06-27-2008, 10:30 AM
an aging, slowing down, annoying Najera is still better than Bonner/Horry

loveforthegame
06-27-2008, 10:49 AM
If they can dump Bonner I'd like to see Najera replace him. He hustles, rebounds, and has some nice defense left in him. I can see him returning to Dallas though.

G-Nob
06-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Hustler and scrappy. I've always liked him.

blizz
06-27-2008, 11:26 AM
I'd take him in a second...he's hard nosed, he mixes it up, he's a little dirty...he's like a better Mexican version of Mark Madsen but probably has a little better offensive game. I think he'd fit in perfectly here.

kobyz
06-27-2008, 11:27 AM
he wants to much money

mexicanjunior
06-27-2008, 11:35 AM
he wants to much money

The endorsements he could finagle in San Antonio would be endless, it would make sense for him and the Spurs...

Budkin
06-27-2008, 12:01 PM
Dude hustles, I know that much at least.

50 cent
06-27-2008, 12:17 PM
I've never liked him. :td

jjktkk
06-27-2008, 12:21 PM

Probably the same reason other teams hate Bowen. Najera is a tough,(maybe borderline dirty) hardnosed, lunch pail kinda player, who rebounds and plays tough defense. I also like the fact that he extended his jumper out to the 3-point line. I would love Najera if he signed with the Spurs. I would also think since Najera is a Mexican National and attended high school in S.A., that he would be a popular player for San Antonio.

Taco
06-27-2008, 12:23 PM

I've never liked him. :td

IS IT BECAUSE HE'S MEXICAN?!?! :sombrero:

:rollin:rollin

JUST KIDDING

BTW
HE DID GO TO HIGHSCHOOL HERE
:flag:

m33p0
06-27-2008, 12:27 PM
he's a high energy guy who can hit the 3 and ain't afraid to tangle inside. you'd have to be crazy not to like him on your team.

slayermin
06-27-2008, 01:33 PM
I can't stand the guy.

But if he was a Spur, I know I would love him.

T Park
06-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Not coming, will want most of the MLE, when that needs to go twords the SG.

Now if you could bull Azubuike and Najera? I'd call it a summer.

Although, like TIMVP said, you gotta dump Bonner, and I don't think thats happening.

ace3g
06-27-2008, 02:25 PM
I wonder if the Spurs could do a sign and trade with the Nuggets: Najera for Bonner, not sure what type of contract Najera is looking for and if it would match Bonner's contract, maybe the Spurs could throw in some cash

peewee's lovechild
06-27-2008, 02:32 PM
He couldn't be any worse than Bonner or Horry was last year. I like his hustle, rebounding and willingness to try and defend. Plus, his 3 point shot is decent enough to help when Duncan is collapsed on. Sign him up...

:tu

T Park
06-27-2008, 02:33 PM
I wonder if the Spurs could do a sign and trade with the Nuggets: Najera for Bonner, not sure what type of contract Najera is looking for and if it would match Bonner's contract, maybe the Spurs could throw in some cash

Why would the Nuggets, strapped for luxury tax room, do that?

AFBlue
06-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Not coming, will want most of the MLE, when that needs to go twords the SG.

You've seen this where?

Sounded like Najera wanted to come to championship-calibur teams and I didn't see anything in there about expecting to get paid big money.

wisnub
06-27-2008, 02:42 PM
He's old..but i like him. He hustle for rebound, an energy guy (what SA need, sometimes they look like they need some Red Bulls or sumthing), somehow he develop 3 points and much better than Hopeless Horry. Besides, he's a foreigner, he will fit right in. Sign up for minimum amount, there's no point Spurs saving money..owner got rich and fans keep worrying coz our starters run out of gas from crappy schedule

T Park
06-27-2008, 02:44 PM
You've seen this where?

Sounded like Najera wanted to come to championship-calibur teams and I didn't see anything in there about expecting to get paid big money.

Hs a guy that would be set to make 3 or 4 million a year.

Why would he take 1.8 for the Spurs and not get alot of minutes?

T Park
06-27-2008, 02:44 PM
He's old..but i like him. He hustle for rebound, an energy guy (what SA need, sometimes they look like they need some Red Bulls or sumthing), somehow he develop 3 points and much better than Hopeless Horry. Besides, he's a foreigner, he will fit right in. Sign up for minimum amount, there's no point Spurs saving money..owner got rich and fans keep worrying coz our starters run out of gas from crappy schedule

Hes mexican that grew up in SA.

I highly doubt that makes him a "foreigner"

mexicanjunior
06-27-2008, 02:50 PM

You dont think the Spurs could find 21 minutes a game (what he averaged in Denver) for someone like him? Depending on the matchups, I could see him getting more based on how well he is shooting the 3 on a given night. I think he would be the perfect replacement for what Horry used to give this team and a better version of Matt Bonner.

AFBlue
06-27-2008, 02:58 PM

He'd get alot of minutes if the Spurs could pawn Bonner off on someone.

He'd be the healthy Horry replacement.

Either way, I was just curious if you had any facts to back up that he'll be asking for MLE-type money.

AFBlue
06-27-2008, 03:00 PM
BTW, for all those that were adamant about Nocioni a couple years back, Najera could be a much cheaper option that gives you the same skills....toughness, energy, shooting, versatility.

Obviously he's over 30, not a great athlete, and cleary not a long-term solution at 3/4 for the Spurs....but he's a legit short-term option.

BTB - Better Than Bonner

anakha
06-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Obviously he's over 30, not a great athlete, and cleary not a long-term solution at 3/4 for the Spurs....but he's a legit short-term option.

Given the importance the Spurs place on maximizing the championship potential while Duncan is still effective, that might just be the determining factor right there.

Will he accept only a 2-year contract, given the stated '2010 plan'?

T Park
06-27-2008, 03:20 PM
You dont think the Spurs could find 21 minutes a game (what he averaged in Denver) for someone like him? Depending on the matchups, I could see him getting more based on how well he is shooting the 3 on a given night. I think he would be the perfect replacement for what Horry used to give this team and a better version of Matt Bonner.

Kurt Thomas, Fab Oberto, Ian Mahinmi.

I don't see much wiggle room there.

mexicanjunior
06-27-2008, 03:23 PM

None of those 3 give much outside shooting, which is what I would think Najera would be mainly used for. His ability to stretch the floor while, at the same time, give you defense and rebounding is his selling point. I could easily see him taking minutes at the 3 and 4, much like Horry did pre 2007. Like I said though, it would all be predicated on matchups...

AFBlue
06-27-2008, 03:24 PM

First, Najera can play the 3 in spots. Second, Mahinmi may be counted on more than he was in the past...but that's not saying much.

If Najera were in and Bonner out, he'd be ahead of Mahinmi in the rotation without a doubt. He'd take Horry's minutes.

T Park
06-27-2008, 03:25 PM
First, Najera can play the 3 in spots. Second, Mahinmi may be counted on more than he was in the past...but that's not saying much.

If Najera were in and Bonner out, he'd be ahead of Mahinmi in the rotation without a doubt. He'd take Horry's minutes.

Not necessarily.

Najera is way too slow to play the 3, so thats out.

AFBlue
06-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Given the importance the Spurs place on maximizing the championship potential while Duncan is still effective, that might just be the determining factor right there.

Will he accept only a 2-year contract, given the stated '2010 plan'?

Or a 2yr contract w/ third-year team option?

I think that's the question he will be asked. If he says he's willing, I think the Spurs will show interest. If not, oh well...move on.

Bottom Line: He wouldn't be "the answer", but the Spurs could do alot worse. A solid pickup for the Spurs if it happens.

mexicanjunior
06-27-2008, 03:27 PM
Not necessarily.

Is he any slower than Barry, Horry or Finley were when Parker and Ginoboli were on the floor with them? It's not like Udoka is any speed burner himself, only Bowen has the quickness to really keep up with a high scoring 3 and he can't play 48 minutes a game.

Bruno
06-27-2008, 03:27 PM
I doubt Najera will stay in Denver. They are still over the Luxury tax and they will likely spend their money on re-signing JR Smith. Nuggets have a lot of bigmen and don't really need Najera.

Najera could help Spurs. The trouble is that he should cost more than the LLE, Spurs have only one MLE and more pressing needs than another bigman.

If Spurs find a way to fix their SG/SF rotation without using the MLE, I'm all for giving Najera a $8M/2 years contract.

T Park
06-27-2008, 03:28 PM
I doubt Najera will stay in Denver. They are still over the Luxury tax and they will likely spend their money on re-signing JR Smith. Nuggets have a lot of bigmen and don't really need Najera.

Najera could help Spurs. The trouble is that he should cost more than the LLE, Spurs have only one MLE and more pressing needs than another bigman.

If Spurs find a way to fix their SG/SF rotation without using the MLE, I'm all for giving Najera a $8M/2 years contract.

The only way is a sign and trade involving Bonner, and I don't see that happening.

The MLE has to go to the wing positions.

AFBlue
06-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Not necessarily.

They were two seperate points...are you contradicting them both?

I'll concede Najera is not suited for the 3....you think he'd still be behind Mahinmi in the rotation?

T Park
They were two seperate points...are you contradicting them both?

I'll concede Najera is not suited for the 3....you think he'd still be behind Mahinmi in the rotation?

Most of the time yes.

Mahinmi is gonna get minutes and gonna play alot.

AFBlue
The only way is a sign and trade involving Bonner, and I don't see that happening.

The MLE has to go to the wing positions.

Sign and trade involving Pietrus that gives Bonner, cash, and a future pick.

anakha
06-27-2008, 03:31 PM

If the Spurs are going to obtain a swingman and bigman who can make an immediate impact, a trade is almost inevitable anyway.

Addressing both needs is going to be very tricky if all you're relying on are the exemptions.

AFBlue
06-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Most of the time yes.

Mahinmi is gonna get minutes and gonna play alot.

That's where you and I differ.

And we should get a chance to find out who's right, because if it's not Najera it's Bonner or maybe someone else (Hermann?)

jcrod
06-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Hes mexican that grew up in SA.

I highly doubt that makes him a "foreigner"

He was born in Mexico and went to HS in SA, did not grow up here.

FromWayDowntown
06-27-2008, 03:55 PM
He might just have something of that Derrick McKey quality that Pop has desired in the past. He's not a McKey clone in any respect, but he's relatively long, certainly an improvement athletically, a willing defender, a decent rebounder, and knows his place on the offensive end (he's a 49% shooter for his career, and that's with a 2006-07 in which he shot just 42%). The sociological fit with San Antonio is sensible, too -- but hardly the most significant issue.

I think TPark's right about the salary issue in the sense that Najera made about $4.9 million in 2007-08 and might be looking for one last payday before relegating himself to a few years of hanging on at the league minimum.

I'd generally agree that Najera could be a nice fit in San Antonio if Denver doesn't keep him.

T Park
06-27-2008, 04:03 PM
I think TPark's right about the salary issue in the sense that Najera made about $4.9 million in 2007-08 and might be looking for one last payday before relegating himself to a few years of hanging on at the league minimum.

I'd generally agree that Najera could be a nice fit in San Antonio if Denver doesn't keep him.

Thanks.

Yeah, as much as me and others made fun of him for being the Spurs rally monkey against the Nuggets in 07 whenever he came in during the playoffs, I would love to have him on the team, the money just isn't there. Unless the Nuggets wanted matt Bonner, which would defy logic.

bdictjames
06-27-2008, 04:07 PM
I remember playing against him in HS. Dude was very athletic. It would be good as PR because of his Mexican roots. LOL. I don't think the Spurs pick him up because I don't think he fits a need.
You played against Najera?

I think Najera could be a great addition, good hustle, hard work, that's what every team wants.

mrspurs
06-27-2008, 04:30 PM
i like how he points out he likes playing for coach karl...hahahaha...who doesnt? i mean the man just sits there and enjoys the show....front row....hey i dont want najera either, cos hes been coached by an ex-spur whom i hated back in the hemisphere days..karl is as bad a coach as he was good a spurs guard...figure that out...go spurs go

T Park
06-27-2008, 04:32 PM
hey i dont want najera either, cos hes been coached by an ex-spur whom i hated back in the hemisphere days..karl is as bad a coach as he was good a spurs guard...figure that out

What I can't figure out is your nonsense reason not wanting him.

Ocotillo
06-27-2008, 04:33 PM
We need a 2 guard with the MLE, there isn't enough cash to get him. Spurs type player for sure.

objective
06-27-2008, 04:37 PM
I hope Najera is not signed.

FromWayDowntown
06-27-2008, 04:38 PM
n/m

marcflynn2009
06-27-2008, 04:39 PM
We need a 2 guard with the MLE, there isn't enough cash to get him. Spurs type player for sure.

hahahahahahaahaha

spurs??? need a 2 guard??? are you joking?? :lmao

ginobili (one of the best in the league)
barry (probably gonna resign)
finley(probably fgonna resign)
udoka(awesome shooter... sa loves him)

lol we dont need a 2 guard... we need a big man... najera is perfect... can spread the floor with perimeter shooting... can play tough down low... quick... i hate him but id love to have him in a spurs uniform

and spurs have the cash for him.... we have 5.8 mil to spend this summer... he got 4.5 mil last year... with a good chance at a championship... he'll definitely be willing to bring that price down a little bit

mexicanjunior
06-27-2008, 04:44 PM
hahahahahahaahaha

ginobili (one of the best in the league)
barry (probably gonna resign)
finley(probably fgonna resign)
udoka(awesome shooter... sa loves him)

If Finley resigns and the Spurs are relying on him to start next year...we are in trouble. Plus, Barry is 36, Ginoboli cant be relied on to play 30+ minutes a game without being worn out at the end of the season and Udoka is too slow to defend 2 guards consistently. I would say we could use another one...

T Park
06-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Ignore the guy, the Spurs are gonna go after an athletic wing player this offseason, that much is known.

xtremesteven33
06-27-2008, 04:46 PM
udoka(awesome shooter...

once you said that i stopped listening

spurschick
06-27-2008, 08:42 PM
I always liked Eddie Na. I wouldn't be upset to see him in silver and black.

ducks
06-27-2008, 09:28 PM
sign him and jr smith
make denver weaker

lefty
06-28-2008, 01:01 AM

Yeah, where did that come from ?? :lol

T Park
06-28-2008, 01:02 AM
Sign and trade involving Pietrus that gives Bonner, cash, and a future pick.

Why would Golden State do that?

SenorSpur
06-28-2008, 01:07 AM
Can't have both Najera and Horry. I'd chose Najera and wave goodbye to Horry.

whottt
06-28-2008, 02:09 AM
I've always hated this dude...but it's in a good way. I definitely think you sigh him unless he just wants an unrealistic amount of money.

He's tough, he's feisty...he's very clever and resourceful...and now that he has added some range to his shot...I think he'd be a fantastic pickup.

I've always hated playing against his teams...and he's the major reason. Because he has always been a pain in the ass. He's a lot like Horry only without the clutch shooting.

AFBlue
06-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Why would Golden State do that?

The pick(s)...they'd waive him.

If Pietrus is an unrestricted free agent he could leave them for nothing....so why not get a pick or two out of it?

I admit it's not likely, but possible.

AFBlue
06-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Can't have both Najera and Horry. I'd chose Najera and wave goodbye to Horry.

The less Bonner sees the court, the better. And with Horry's failing shot, age, and injury...Bonner has much more opportunity to see the court.

I'd take Najera over Bonner and Horry without a doubt.

Spur-Addict
06-28-2008, 09:46 AM

The less Bonner sees the court, the better. And with Horry's failing shot, age, and injury...Bonner has much more opportunity to see the court.

I'd take Najera over Bonner and Horry without a doubt.

Agreed