PDA

View Full Version : Future SF Prospect from Milwaukee??

coopdogg3
06-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Bucks seem overloaded at SF, so Luc may slip through the cracks.

Chad Ford:

Milwaukee Bucks Grade: B

Round 1: Joe Alexander (8)

Round 2: Luc Richard Mbah a Moute (37)

Analysis: I loved the idea of Alexander in Milwaukee before the Bucks traded for Richard Jefferson. After they made the trade, drafting Alexander didn't get me as excited.

The Bucks should've looked to shore up holes on their team. Alexander is a special talent with great upside, but if he's buried behind Jefferson, what's the point?

I like Mbah a Moute as a Bruce Bowen-like defender -- but he's a small forward too. Where are they all going to play?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftGrades-080627

Chad Ford's Analysis: Do you think maybe the Bucks thought that they needed help at small forward? The Bucks acquired their third small forward of the day. Mbah a Moute is a terrific defender who is a little like a bigger Bruce Bowen. He'll never wow you offensively, but he should be in the league a long time.

Draft Projection: Late first to early second

Luc Richard Mbah a Moute
Luc Richard Mbah a Moute can bring down the house with his athleticism.

Similarities: Ron Artest.

Notes:

Is a prince in Cameroon.

Positives: Super long, athletic forward who does a little of everything. He crashes the glass, is a lock-down defender and has an emerging offensive game. Quickness and athleticism make him a great slasher and finisher. Great motor on both ends of the floor.

Negatives: Still learning the game. Not a great shooter. His form is OK, but he really doesn't have long range on his jumper. No real offensive moves in the post to speak of. Is mistake prone and streaky, but most scouts attribute that to his relative lack of experience.

Summary: His play during the NCAA tournament as a freshman made him a top prospect. He has the energy and athleticism that every coach loves. But his disappointing play through his sophomore and junior season hurt his stock. A strong NCAA tournament this season has scouts interested again, but right now he projects as a late first to second-round pick.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&playerId=18978&univLogin02=stateChanged

The Bucks may not be able to find a place for him, or maybe the Spurs can trade for him cheap (we have 3 2009 2nd round picks to play with.)

SenorSpur
06-27-2008, 10:46 AM
I liked Mbah a Moute at or around #57. If, as you say, he can be had as a long-term SF prospect for a future 2nd, that would be fine.

timvp
06-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Too offensively limited. I'd rather keep Gist and try to turn him into a SF.

coopdogg3
06-27-2008, 10:51 AM

/shrug Get both. Throw them both to Austin, see who does the best.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2008, 10:52 AM
It still might be worth spending that second round pick from Phoenix on. That's almost too many guys to bring into camp, though, because they can't all make the team. That would be an awfully nice problem to have, though.

timvp
06-27-2008, 10:56 AM
/shrug Get both. Throw them both to Austin, see who does the best.Three rookies will be hard enough to fit on the roster. Four would be impossible.

SenorSpur
06-27-2008, 10:56 AM

Sure he's limited now, but who knows in a few years. No way is he ready to contribute know. I'm talking about the possibility of him as a longer-term prospect.

timvp
06-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Sure he's limited now, but who knows in a few years. No way is he ready to contribute know. I'm talking about the possibility of him as a longer-term prospect.Me calling him limited was being nice. Mbah a Moute makes Jacque Vaughn look like Michael Jordan. Statistically if he makes it in the NBA, he'd be the worst offensive player in college history to survive in the NBA.

But hey, Gist and Hairston are far from sure things themselves. I'd say 90% chance Hairston doesn't make it and a 98% chance Gist doesn't make it. So going with Mbah a Moute and hoping that he magically became at least Jacque Vaughn level offensively isn't much worse of a proposition.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2008, 11:04 AM
We have enough projects, and I'm pretty happy with their potential. Now we need to get some guys who can actually play.

nfg3
06-27-2008, 11:04 AM
Sure he's limited now, but who knows in a few years. No way is he ready to contribute know. I'm talking about the possibility of him as a longer-term prospect.

But is it worth it for the Sours to use a spot on the roster so he can develop considering what timvp said abot 3 and then 4 rookies?
Don't misunderstand me I would love to get our hands on a future BB but maybe at this piont there isn't enough space on the roster for him. I'm thinking at this point there isn't enough space for 3, either. Hill probably sticks and with Ian coming I really don't see any minutes for the other two unless one of them blossoms overnight. (one can only dream)

timvp
06-27-2008, 11:07 AM
We have enough projects, and I'm pretty happy with their potential. Now we need to get some guys who can actually play.:tu

I was hoping for two rookies and a draft-n-stash from this draft. Three rookies is overwhelming enough. Time to get a free agent who can come in and produce right away at a high level.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Yeah, I figured they were going to trade away one second rounder for a future pick -- they just happened to get Hairston back for it too. There's no finiancial pressure to keep the Spurs from running a full roster all season, so if the projects show anything in SL and/or training camp, they can be kept on. Best case scenario is that Hill is good enough to be a rotation player and Hairston and Gist spend the season in Austin.

Now the FO really gets to work finding actual NBA players.

wildbill2u
06-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I figured they were going to trade away one second rounder for a future pick -- they just happened to get Hairston back for it too. There's no finiancial pressure to keep the Spurs from running a full roster all season, so if the projects show anything in SL and/or training camp, they can be kept on. Best case scenario is that Hill is good enough to be a rotation player and Hairston and Gist spend the season in Austin.

Now the FO really gets to work finding actual NBA players.

There will be so many players from this draft who don't make it to a team roster that the teams can pick up some pretty good developmental players for their farm teams when cut time comes around.

SenorSpur
06-27-2008, 11:26 AM
Me calling him limited was being nice. Mbah a Moute makes Jacque Vaughn look like Michael Jordan. Statistically if he makes it in the NBA, he'd be the worst offensive player in college history to survive in the NBA.

But hey, Gist and Hairston are far from sure things themselves. I'd say 90% chance Hairston doesn't make it and a 98% chance Gist doesn't make it. So going with Mbah a Moute and hoping that he magically became at least Jacque Vaughn level offensively isn't much worse of a proposition.

I admit I've not seen the guy play. Only a few short highlights and reading his bio. He sounds like a shorter version of Desgana Diop or a taller version of Jacque Vaughn. :lol

It's amazing how a 10 second highlight reel can make a prospect look like a star.

I'm fine with these prospect too. The only reason I chimed in on this is that this guy seemingly has superior defensive prowess. I'm actually surprised he got drafted at all.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2008, 11:28 AM
There will be so many players from this draft who don't make it to a team roster that the teams can pick up some pretty good developmental players for their farm teams when cut time comes around.
Precisely.

Lucky for us, we actually have a farm team.

Is there a list of the top players who weren't drafted out yet?