PDA

View Full Version : Recieving a paycheck, without actually working

Soul_Patch
06-27-2008, 01:38 PM
So my wife accepted a job a month ago, worked for 2 days, then submitted her resignation because of a better offer. they gave her a paycheck for the 2 days and wished her luck...and that was that

well on the 13th they direct deposited her full 2 week paycheck in to our account. We didnt notice it for a week or so, then i think she tried to call, but just got voicemail from the guy who hired her....so we havent really dont anything to pursue it.

im wondering how long this will go on?!? wondering if there will be another paycheck in the account tonight...

What kind of legal trouble are we in for if we just dump these in an interest bearing account until they find out? :toast

Bigzax
06-27-2008, 01:41 PM
sounds like a smart idea to me regarding the interest account...

but there are alot of people in this forum receiving a paycheck without actually working...:lmao

BacktoBasics
06-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Its considered theft. I'm not sure if there is an actual timeline for complete release but hold onto the money for the time being. If 6 months passes by shut the account down and start fresh with your free money.

Soul_Patch
06-27-2008, 01:44 PM
I read something online that a guy that took a job with Avaya, but then declined shortly before starting ended up getting paid for 5 years before the company found out.

The end of the article said they are trying charge him with theft by deception...but doubt it will stick...either way the dude made out with like 400k apparently, and never worked for teh place...even if we never spent the money and just let it gain interest, then paid it back in a few years....im down for that...

johnsmith
06-27-2008, 01:56 PM
When I was in college I had an internship at a company in Boise. I went back to Colorado after the summer was over and they sent me a pay check for three consecutive pay periods. It wasn't much, but for a college kid it was the equivalent of about 1,000,000 a year nowadays. I let it go for the three pay periods and on the fourth one I felt guilty, sent it back and told them they accidentally sent me it. I didn't mention the other three and they didn't either. In retrospect, I shouldn't have said anything and I would have had that much more fun during school.

sa_butta
06-27-2008, 01:58 PM
Id say thats the best idea, just collect the interest off it and have it available in case you need to pay it back. But if I were you I would record another VM to verify that you made an attempt to contact them. And maybe even just send a certified letter just to CYA. In the mean time try to earn that interest.

Jimcs50
06-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Along those lines, my son just got his first paycheck ever from his Summer job(He is 16)

He asked who is this FICA person taking his money. I said, get used to it, son. :)

johnsmith
06-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Along those lines, my son just got his first paycheck ever from his Summer job(He is 16)

He asked who is this FICA person taking his money. I said, get used to it, son. :)

That totally relates to this subject.:rolleyes

Taco
06-27-2008, 02:09 PM
but there are alot of people in this forum receiving a paycheck without actually working...[/B]:lmao

:lol Amen Brother Amen !!! :lol

easjer
06-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Something to note is that frequently, signing up for direct deposit gives the company permission to attempt a straight reversal to recoup their funds. In theory they are supposed to notify you, but it doesn't always happen. So I would hesitate to remove those funds until you know they won't try a reversal.

That happened to me, and I ended up overdrafting on my rent check, because they didn't give me notice, and I didn't have time to move money into the account to cover my check.

So definitely try and call to cover your own ass.

BigBeezie
06-27-2008, 09:04 PM
My wife got paid for a month after she quit her job. They threatened to send us to collections for the month...so we just gave them their money back.

K-State Spur
06-30-2008, 11:38 AM
For a minute, I expected this to be a thread about government jobs.

Anti.Hero
06-30-2008, 11:54 AM
direct deposit ftl

TwAnKiEs
06-30-2008, 01:23 PM
For a minute, I expected this to be a thread about government jobs.

I was thinking Pres. Bush?? :lol