PDA

View Full Version : Thread for rodeo fans...

CosmicCowboy
02-01-2005, 04:40 PM
some interesting info for this years rodeo concerns the stock being used...

The PRCA rodeo circuit is a year long string of large and small rodeos that starts in Denver in January...then moves to Fort Worth, then San Antonio, then Houston picking up some smaller rodeos as they go...the circuit basically moves counterclockwise around the country crossing Canada in the summer, back down the west coast in the fall and ends up In Las Vegas in December for the National Finals...

The National Finals competitors are the top 15 moneywinners in each event for the year and the very top stock (hardest to ride/highest scoring when you do ride which are voted on by the cowboys) ) from all the stock contractors in the country...

If you follow rodeo you probably know that each individual rodeo contracts with a stock contractor to supply the bucking bulls, bucking horses, roping and dogging cattle, etc...there are several major stock contractors in the country...and every single bull or bucking horse is not necessarily the "best"...so if you went to a rodeo in the past you would notice that on any given night there would be some good high scoring rides but a lot of slug, low scoring rides too...San Antonio uses Cervi Championship rodeo as the contractor and they are highly respected and have great stock but were still limited in being able to provide consistent high quality stock night after night for 2 full rounds and the finals...

sooo...anyway...this year is different...At the national PRCA level they arranged for all the major stock contractors to work together to provide a "National Finals quality" pen of bulls and bucking horses for a few select rodeos around the country and San Antonio is the first...the stock will be the "best of the best" from Cervi, Andrews, Bad Company, Sankey, Kesler, Calgary, etc....

in other words...just a kick ass stock lineup this year...you will probably see a lot more buckoffs than normal because the stock is so nasty but the ones that do ride will be specatacular rides...

Hook Dem
02-01-2005, 07:12 PM
http://tinypic.com/1ikgo6 I'll be there working on the Exhibit Committee.

T Park
02-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Ill be there in the Carnival! :)

CosmicCowboy
02-02-2005, 09:52 AM
I'll be there every day through the show but am not gonna post in here what I do... you guys that are gonna be there PM me and we might be able to hook up sometime...maybe meet at my truck for a cold beer...:lol

MannyIsGod
02-02-2005, 01:50 PM
well, I won't be there :)

office handle
02-02-2005, 01:58 PM
i think its great that every year a bunch of farm animals are brought into the SBC to shit all over the place

puro san antonio

CosmicCowboy
02-02-2005, 02:19 PM
i think its great that every year a bunch of farm animals are brought into the SBC to shit all over the place

Well...there wouldn't be an SBC Center and there wouldn't be a San Antonio Spurs team if it hadn't been for the rodeo so you can just kiss my ass...

office handle
02-02-2005, 02:22 PM
ah yes more reasons to love san antonio

Hook Dem
02-02-2005, 07:00 PM
well, I won't be there :)
Alrighty then!

Hook Dem
02-02-2005, 07:02 PM

puro san antonio
kinda like you the punker shittin all over this forum huh?

timvp
02-02-2005, 07:56 PM
I need to take The Princess to the rodeo to see the animals -- mainly the horses. I've never been there so I need some help. When is the best time to go for seeing the animals? What part of the rodeo do we go to?

I've never been to the rodeo but I imagine it is more than just country music acts, carnivals and cattle roping. I may be wrong, though.

Help a non-cowboy out.

Thanks.

:smokin

Hook Dem
02-02-2005, 08:06 PM
I need to take The Princess to the rodeo to see the animals -- mainly the horses. I've never been there so I need some help. When is the best time to go for seeing the animals? What part of the rodeo do we go to?

I've never been to the rodeo but I imagine it is more than just country music acts, carnivals and cattle roping. I may be wrong, though.

Help a non-cowboy out.

Thanks.

:smokin
Timvp, here is the site to see when everything is happening. www.sarodeo.com You can decide when it would be best for you to go. Cosmic Cowboy can help you with those horses more than I. I am on the Exhibit Committee.

T Park
02-02-2005, 09:03 PM
best time to go is on a weekday near opening time.

No one there, nice and slow, no crowds.

T Park
02-02-2005, 09:04 PM

puro san antonio

Well without the rodeo, the Spurs would be in New Orleans Marcus Bryant.

So get a brain fuck face and apreciate the rodeo.

home handle
02-03-2005, 01:13 AM
tpark you work in a carnival. shut up.

CosmicCowboy
02-03-2005, 10:11 AM

All the horse events outside of the PRCA rodeo take place in the back barns in Horse Barn 2...Its on the west end of the major "street" (Freeman Blvd) that runs east/west through the back barns and by the tunnel entrance to the SBC...some of the events are a lot of fun to watch and some of the breed dressage/halter events are like watching paint dry...

Some good dates to watch the "fun" stuff are:

Tonight 2/3..."money" runs in 4D barrel racing starting at 6:00
Friday 2/4...more barrel racing from 9am to about 9-10pm...bigger money runs starting at 6pm
Saturday 2/5...more barrels starting at 9am...big money runs start at 6pm...
Sunday 2/6...NCHA Cutting starting at 8am...this is a fun event to watch
Monday 2/7...NCHA Cutting starting at 8am
Tuesday 2/8...NCHA Cutting starting at 8am...note that cutting will be mostly during the day so there may not be anything going on at night...
Wednesday 2/9...AQHA cattle events starting at 8am...cutting/roping etc...again mostly during the day...
Thursday 2/10...AQHA ranch horse versatility...a jackpot competition again mostly cattle events and during the day...

the next "fun" event is Sunday 2/13...this is the Ranch Gelding competition and sale...starts at 7am...some awesome horses in this event...75 guys/horses in a competition to showcase their horses and then we sell them in the auction barn about 4pm...

Monday 2/14...USTPA team penning starts at 7am and goes late..this is a fun event to watch and the teams/crowd really gets into it...
Tuesday 2/15...USTPA team penning starts at 7am and goes late

those are the "best" days and times to see the "fun" stuff with lots of action...

Kori...PM or e-mail me for more details...I will try to hook up with you and LJ...

Sec24Row7
02-03-2005, 12:25 PM
TimVP there is also a petting Zoo type area where you can go in and feed baby midget goats and the like... that's always popular with the ladies :makeout

CosmicCowboy
02-03-2005, 04:15 PM
TimVP there is also a petting Zoo type area where you can go in and feed baby midget goats and the like... that's always popular with the ladies :makeout

actually...there was some question if we were gonna have to stop allowing petting in the petting zoo this year because of e-coli liability issues...I haven't heard what the final decision was but some scumbag lawyer sued one of the big fairs last year because his client got a tummy ache and won a 7 figure settlement...the compromise to keep the petting was to have mandatory supervised handwashing stations...I never heard what the final decision was...

office handle
02-03-2005, 04:18 PM
were in the 21st century now. someone isnt expecting to get themselves or their children sick when they go to a petting zoo.

CosmicCowboy
02-03-2005, 05:09 PM
and adults are supposed to know to wash their hands (or their kids hands) before they eat...why are you being such a jerk? e-coli is frigging everywhere dumbass...

office handle
02-03-2005, 05:13 PM
you throw a carnival and set up a petting zoo for all of the nice suburbanites and their children to come and fondle the animals, people who the wildest animal theyve encountered is hank the family's golden lab and then now they are supposed to turn into experienced animal handlers.

when you open up something like that to the public expect to be held accountable cowboy

CosmicCowboy
02-03-2005, 05:17 PM
you throw a carnival and set up a petting zoo for all of the nice suburbanites and their children to come and fondle the animals, people who the wildest animal theyve encountered is hank the family's golden lab and then now they are supposed to turn into experienced animal handlers.

when you open up something like that to the public expect to be held accountable cowboy

they are just as likely to get e-coli from the family dog as a miniature horse in the petting zoo...or hundreds of other places for that matter...

office handle
02-03-2005, 05:19 PM
except its not their dog its your mini horse

CosmicCowboy
02-03-2005, 05:26 PM
well stay home and jerk off by yourself then bubble boy. The world is not necessarily a safe place.

office handle
02-03-2005, 05:32 PM
except that you know that mini horses can be dangerous to surburbanites with kids and you chose to think that you can get away from your liability by musing to yourself about those surburbanites pleasuring themselves at home in a plastic bubble. somehow i dont think that is going to cut it.

Shelly
02-03-2005, 06:38 PM
I dunno...we had miniature horses at my son's school fundraiser. Nary a problem with them either.

Kori Ellis
02-03-2005, 06:39 PM
e-coli aside, I hope they have the petting zoo. Please let me know if they do, CC. That would be a highlight.

CosmicCowboy
02-04-2005, 12:07 AM
Kori...they definitely have the petting zoo...I am just not sure what the rules are this year...its not in my area other than housing the animals when they are "off duty" but seriously I think it would be neat if you guys came out...if my schedule allows I would love to hook up and show you around...it really is a great show with something for everyone...and the offer applies to more than just kori and LJ...I met up with Hook Dem tonight in a slack time and enjoyed meeting him...you guys all need to understand that the Rodeo is an important part of SA and a great family style entertainment value and not just an aggravation because the Spurs have to go on a road trip...

Hook Dem
02-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Kori...they definitely have the petting zoo...I am just not sure what the rules are this year...its not in my area other than housing the animals when they are "off duty" but seriously I think it would be neat if you guys came out...if my schedule allows I would love to hook up and show you around...it really is a great show with something for everyone...and the offer applies to more than just kori and LJ...I met up with Hook Dem tonight in a slack time and enjoyed meeting him...you guys all need to understand that the Rodeo is an important part of SA and a great family style entertainment value and not just an aggravation because the Spurs have to go on a road trip...
Hey Cowboy, the pleasure was all mine. It's always nice to put a face on the keyboards we communicate with daily here. I hope Kori and LJ come out to the grounds and enjoy themselves. It's a great way to escape the daily grind and meet some interesting people. Thanks for coming by and visiting me and my "gator". I sure wish it had a heater though. It took 2 tequila shots to warm up when I got home. :lol

Kori Ellis
02-04-2005, 05:47 PM
CC, I'll let you know soon what day we are thinking about coming and hopefully you'll be able to meet up with us.

Thanks for the offer.

T Park
02-04-2005, 06:23 PM
CC im over in the carnival area, lets hook up one night for dinner, and maybe when Kori and LJ come, we could make it a mini GTG.

02-05-2005, 01:32 AM
Well, I gave it two years, but I don't think I'll ever go to the Stock Show and Rodeo again. Just got home from seeing CCR, and I blamed the piss poor sound whe I saw Pat Green there last year on the band sound man, but the sound this year was equally horrific. Granted, both years I was in the upper level, but haring nothing but the bass line does not a good show make.

What clinched it, though was the parking situation. Namely, leaving the parking lot. We were in Lot 4J and it took over an hour after the show to get out. Whoever the functional retard who devised the parking system there should be beat in the forehead with a tack hammer until he/she dies. How you can have two lots leave out the same two lane exit and think that is a good idea is beyond me.

timvp
02-05-2005, 02:01 AM
Yeah if you go watch a Spurs game at the SBC Center, you can be out of the parking lot in 15 minutes. If you go watch a concert, you better pack a lunch because you're not getting out of the parking lot for at least an hour.

SequSpur
02-05-2005, 02:03 AM
I might head down to the rodeo Saturday or next weekend, I know we have tickets for Switchfoot and 3 doors down.

So, send me a pm and i'll stop by.

SpursWoman
02-05-2005, 09:19 AM
We were in Lot 4J and it took over an hour after the show to get out. Whoever the functional retard who devised the parking system there should be beat in the forehead with a tack hammer until he/she dies. How you can have two lots leave out the same two lane exit and think that is a good idea is beyond me.

That must be where Shelly had made me park.... :lol :lol

Shelly
02-05-2005, 05:35 PM
That must be where Shelly had made me park.... :lol :lol

Shush!

:lol