Twisted_Dawg
06-27-2008, 03:45 PM
Very bad news for us.....

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA.062708.ATT.EN.450eb5c9.html

UPDATED: AT&T moving headquarters to Dallas

Web Posted: 06/27/2008 03:41 PM CDT

By Sean M. Wood
Express-News

AT&T Inc. is moving its corporate headquarters to Dallas from San Antonio, citing better access to direct flights and proximity to suppliers and customers. The company plans to move 700 of its nearly 6,000 local employees to downtown Dallas by the end of the year. The Dallas-Fort Worth area is already home to more than 13,000 AT&T employees.

"This was a decision that we made after looking at a number of cities that would provide us with better access to customers and operations," said AT&T spokesman Larry Solomon. "It puts us in an area with key technology partners and customers. It has a high concentration of telelcom and technology companies."

AT&T's telecom operations will still be based here, Solomon said. "San Antonio is still going to be a major employment and operations center," he said.

The Dallas/Fort Worth area is home to suppliers like Alcatel-Lucent, Cisco, Ericsson, Fujitsu, Huawei, Nokia, Nortel, RIM and Samsung, the company said in a statement announcing the move.

"It's devastating," said Mario Hernandez, president of the San Antonio Economic Development Foundation.

Hernandez said a headquarters operation has a multiplier effect on economic activity and also provides leadership in the community and helps in recruiting other corporations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ashbeeigh
06-27-2008, 03:47 PM
"It's devastating," said Mario Hernandez, president of the San Antonio Economic Development Foundation.

To put it lightly.

sa_butta
06-27-2008, 03:47 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100052

johnsmith
06-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Buddy Holly is going to be pissed when he finds out he got scooped on this.

G-Nob
06-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Not too bad. Its only 700 jobs.
5300 more could be worse.

Solid D
06-27-2008, 05:17 PM
How long are they signed up for with the AT&T Center $$$?

ShoogarBear
06-27-2008, 06:54 PM
How long are they signed up for with the AT&T Center $$$?

Hello, Valero Center.

BigBeezie
06-27-2008, 08:41 PM
I guess I just don't see the impact for SA. More and more corporations are moving operations here...so AT&T can piss off.

DMX7
06-28-2008, 02:42 AM
I guess I just don't see the impact for SA. More and more corporations are moving operations here...so AT&T can piss off.

That's the most insane thing I've ever heard. AT&T is San Antonio's only DOW30 company and will likley never be replaced. AT&T invests millions of dollars in local sports, arts, universities (utsa, trinity, etc.), and countless other community projects. That could all be gone and no other company in San Antonio is even 1/10th as eager to lead and finance economic development. By moving all their upper management the housing market instantly losses 700 high valued homes and tax dollars on many jobs (including many that make millions such as CEO, CFO, etc.) means many schools and parks will feel the crunch too.

Most damaging, is that San Antonio losses credibility as far as attracting more companies because it's largest just left citing infastructure. Say goodbye to any thought of another pro sports team but that part really isn't a big deal to me.

Not too bad. Its only 700 jobs.
5300 more could be worse.

It's the 700 corporate jobs though meaning CEO and other multi million dollar positions. You're right though, if it was the 5300 technical assistant jobs it would all but end any thought of investing in this city.

Hello, Valero Center.

Actually, the AT&T center has a 20 year contract. It's surprising to me how many people don't understand how naming rights work.

___uPtOwNgIrL___
06-28-2008, 03:31 AM
San Antonio Conservatives...

congrats

you have now sent San Antonio back in time motherfuckers

think progressive...

be progressive

make FUCKING money

DONT YOU MOTHERFUCKERS IN BACKWORDS ASS SAN ANTONIO REALIZE THE FORMULA????

You stupid mexicans just dont get it

and that is why ATT left.

congrats on RUINING
you shitty city.

IronMexican
06-28-2008, 04:13 AM
San Antonio Conservatives...

congrats

you have now sent San Antonio back in time motherfuckers

think progressive...

be progressive

make FUCKING money

DONT YOU MOTHERFUCKERS IN BACKWORDS ASS SAN ANTONIO REALIZE THE FORMULA????

You stupid mexicans just dont get it

and that is why ATT left.

congrats on RUINING
you shitty city.

wake up, wake up, wake up, it's that time of the month, get up, get up, get up, it's that time of the month.

remingtonbo2001
06-28-2008, 11:32 AM
HEY.

You're alive. You're Healthy. You live in the nation with the greatest opportunity to achieve success.

If having a top 30 DOW business in San Antonio is your lifelong dream, go out there and make it happen.

If making San Antonio a richer's paradise is what you want, go out there and make it happen.

It's 700 jobs people. Yes, it will effect the economy of San Antonio.

But guess what we're San Antonians and we're tough as nails.

We'll find a way to get through it.

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-28-2008, 11:36 AM
I think I'd be more scared that it appears city leadership was blindsided by the move.

SpursWoman
06-28-2008, 11:43 AM
wake up, wake up, wake up, it's that time of the month, get up, get up, get up, it's that time of the month.

Yeah ... everything about that one screams success. From the illiteracy all the way to the profanity and racism. Awesome. :lol

jman3000
06-28-2008, 11:53 AM
i always thought their reluctance to build a true HQ building here was always a bad sign. one of the biggest companies in the US and they're headquartered in a few 10 story brick buildings? never really looked legit.

DMX7
06-28-2008, 02:23 PM
If having a top 30 DOW business in San Antonio is your lifelong dream, go out there and make it happen.

Unforunately, this move is almost more damaging than if we never had one at all because it tells other large corporation that San Antonio's poor infrastructure can't surport large businesses. Bringing another to San Antonio is kinda laughable if you're familiar with big business.

We'll endure though. But the impact will be more than 700 jobs (all upper management), it'll mean less new ones for orinary people if new companies now think twice about coming here. Unforunately, that's just how it works.

i always thought their reluctance to build a true HQ building here was always a bad sign. one of the biggest companies in the US and they're headquartered in a few 10 story brick buildings? never really looked legit.

That's true but downtown is owned by the Conservation Society and won't let anybody build anything modern looking. It took the city of san antonio planning out every step with them just to get the new Grand Hyatt.

Das Texan
06-28-2008, 03:10 PM

no doubt about that.

and a headquarters doesnt have to be 'modern'

there were plenty of places they 'could' have placed said headquarters and downtown as well.

But they never did.