PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Summing up draft night

Bruno
06-27-2008, 05:48 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/06/jeff_mcdonald_s_9.html

Weblogs
Courtside
June 27, 2008

The Spurs pulled a fast one on draft observers everywhere. They actually drafted someone they plan to play immediately.

George Hill, the 6-2 guard from IUPUI the Spurs took with the 26th pick overall Thursday night, is very much in their plans next season. They expect he will eventually battle with Jacque Vaughn as the primary backup at point guard behind Tony Parker.

The two other draft choices they added Thursday -- Oregon forward Malik Hairston (who arrived in a quick trade with Phoenix) and Maryland forward James Gist -- both also have a chance to contribute.

It's a far cry from what Spurs officials were saying leading into the draft. Last week, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he didn't think it would be possible to net an immediate impact player at 26.

Maybe all of that talk was a smoke screen. Or maybe the Spurs didn't really believe the players they were targeting would drop to them.

At any rate, after nabbing Hill at 26, Popovich quickly changed his tune.

"I honestly believe he will make our team better right off the bat," Popovich said.

All in all, it was as productive draft night as the Spurs have mustered in quite some time. All three players were players they had targeted from the beginning.

"I don't remember a draft since maybe Tony (Parker, in 2001) where we keyed in on a player or two, and they got there," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said.

It remains to be seen whether the Spurs will opt to sign their two second-round picks. Those decisions will probably determine how active they become in the summer free-agent market. The Spurs also own the rights to foreign prospect Robertas Javtokas, who could be in camp this summer if they can negotiate a buyout with his Euroleague team.

If that happens, roster spots will truly be at a premium.

Bruno
06-27-2008, 05:49 PM
http://www.cosmopolitan.lt/images/graphics/1108539641.jpg

I'm coming.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Won't some team in Russia offer him $20 million a year tax free and a mansion and three yachts to water ski behind?

AFBlue
06-27-2008, 05:51 PM
James Gist has a chance to contribute...how small of a chance?

I still put the odds on Hairston at this point to get a roster spot.

thispego
06-27-2008, 05:52 PM
http://www.cosmopolitan.lt/images/graphics/1108539641.jpg

I'm coming.

been wanting this guy to come over for a few years now. He'd come in and automatically take the title for most badass tat

bigdog
06-27-2008, 05:55 PM
if he's healthy, it would be badass. I've always liked his potential, so I wouldn't mind. he has better size and athleticism then Oberto and Thomas.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-27-2008, 05:58 PM
I say Hairston misses out.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2008, 05:59 PM
It would be nice having another shot blocker.

The question is will he be "insulted" by the Spurs' offer again.

Bruno
06-27-2008, 06:02 PM
I think that Javtokas can be a pretty decent rotation big in the Brian Skinner mold.

He is still under contract with Dynamo Moscow but has an NBA opt out close.
The problem is that his salary is quite high in Russia (€1.5M).
I guess Spurs could try to offer the full LLE ($4M/2 years) with $500k to pay the buyout.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-27-2008, 06:03 PM
I wonder if the whole Javtokas possibly signing is actually true, or if McDonald just threw that in there to show he actually knows a thing or two about him.

AFBlue
06-27-2008, 06:09 PM
I wonder if the whole Javtokas possibly signing is actually true, or if McDonald just threw that in there to show he actually knows a thing or two about him.

Well he really didn't say that it was going to happen...he mentioned it as "possible". Of course it's "possible", but how likely is it?

It's also "possible" that the Spurs could go after JR Smith and give James Gist a roster spot.

It's a crafty way to report news that's obvious but make you think it's something new...:lol

Spur-Addict
06-27-2008, 06:10 PM
I think that Javtokas can be a pretty decent rotation big in the Brian Skinner mold.

He is still under contract with Dynamo Moscow but has an NBA opt out close.
The problem is that his salary is quite high in Russia (€1.5M).
I guess Spurs could try to offer the full LLE ($4M/2 years) with $500k to pay the buyout.

Oh he's a bit better than Skinner, give him a little respect. Skinner is what i'd call an NBA undesireable. In my opinion at least.

wildbill2u
06-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Isn't it Russian (Mafiya?) money that is driving the Euro market value (contracts) higher?

If they want to keep Javtokas, they can make him an offer he can't refuse.

bigdog
06-27-2008, 06:13 PM
I doubt McDonald has any inside information, but either way it's still a possibility. If Javtokas knows what's good for him, this could be his last chance to come over to the NBA. He rejected a decent offer last time, and he could have helped the Spurs in the frontcourt.

AFBlue
06-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Oh he's a bit better than Skinner, give him a little respect. Skinner is what i'd call an NBA undesireable. In my opinion at least.

Skinner is a tough nosed, defense-oriented big.

I don't think you can say Javtokas is better or even projectable to improve at this point.

Skinner is actually a decent comparison...and for the LLE, the Spurs could do alot worse as insurance against Mahinmi not being ready.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Prahps to timvp for posting the funniest/gayest picture of the day.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-27-2008, 06:22 PM

timvp?

bigdog
06-27-2008, 06:23 PM

I'd love to know where timvp posted anything in this thread.

Spur-Addict
06-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Skinner is a tough nosed, defense-oriented big.

I don't think you can say Javtokas is better or even projectable to improve at this point.

Skinner is actually a decent comparison...and for the LLE, the Spurs could do alot worse as insurance against Mahinmi not being ready.

I know who Skinner is and how he plays, my opinion still stands that right now Jav is better. We can't actually argue this b/c he doesn't play here. But, that's my opinion.

Skinner-:lol

objective
06-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Isn't it Russian (Mafiya?) money that is driving the Euro market value (contracts) higher?

If they want to keep Javtokas, they can make him an offer he can't refuse.

It's actually Russian oil money specifically that's driving the market. Russians be oil rich like whoa. Mafiya/ex-military crime controlled maybe, but it's oil money.

AFBlue
06-27-2008, 06:31 PM
I know who Skinner is and how he plays, my opinion still stands that right now Jav is better. We can't actually argue this b/c he doesn't play here. But, that's my opinion.

Skinner-:lol

Sorry...had to stick up for a guy who went to my alma mater.

Bruno
06-27-2008, 06:32 PM
timvp?

My post with Javtokas' picture was blatant rip off of timvp way to post funny pictures. :)

Spur-Addict
06-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Sorry...had to stick up for a guy who went to my alma mater.

Oh, it's cool man. He does the dirty work, you gotta respect that.

objective
06-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Count me in for some Javtokas action.

T Park
06-27-2008, 07:04 PM
If he comes over for the LLE, then you can really go balls out with the MLE.

But this comes from McDonald who has as many inside notes as I do.

Doubtful it happens.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Would Javtokas come in and contribute immediately or spend some time in the D-League?

ChumpDumper
06-27-2008, 07:06 PM
No D-League time. Would probably follow the Oberto development plan.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm doubting Javtokas is in the works. Just one of those usual mentions of what foreign assets the Spurs hold, which by now is just him. No mention of Sanikidze.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-27-2008, 07:10 PM
No D-League time. Would probably follow the Oberto development plan.

:tu

T Park
06-27-2008, 07:11 PM
12th man, plays once in a while.

Im with Mr Body though, I don't think theres any inkling or wanting to bring him over.