PDA

View Full Version : Fla. Man Dies After Taking 23 Shots in 30 Mins

sa_butta
06-27-2008, 05:59 PM
http://a.abcnews.com/images/TheLaw/ericMorris_liquor_080627_mn.jpg

Floridian Eric Morris, 26, allegedly drank as many as 23 shots of vodka in just 30 minutes before collapsing and dying, police say.

A Florida man died Tuesday after taking more than two dozen shots of cherry vodka within a half hour, according to the Hillsborough County Sheriff's office.

"We have witnesses that have described the victim as taking anywhere from 23 to 25 shots in 30 minutes," Hillsborough County Sheriff's spokesman J.D. Callaway told ABCNEWS.com.

Eric Morris, 26, was allegedly taking part in a drinking game with another patron at an adult nightclub, Angels Show Bar, in Seffner, Fla., just hours before he died, according to police.

"Apparently [other bar patrons] were describing the shots as 'cherry bombs,'" said Callaway, referring to a shot of liquor that is typically made by combining cherry-flavored vodka with Red Bull, a popular energy drink.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=5262696&page=1 (http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=5262696&page=1)

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-27-2008, 06:00 PM
I thought the guy got shot 23 times before dropping dead.

This story is a lot less impressive.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Do you know what I call 23 shots of vodka?

Breakfast.

J.T.
06-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Do you know what I call 23 shots of vodka?

Breakfast.

Shit man, I did the 21 shot salute on my 21st birthday with 10 different types of vodka, 10 different whiskeys, and a double of everclear to cap it off and I'm still standing. Only remember about an hour after that but lol @ low alcohol tolerance.

This story becomes even more funny if it ended up being some weaksauce 40 proof vodka or someshit.

Chief
06-27-2008, 07:02 PM
so did he win the drinking game ?

ashbeeigh
06-27-2008, 07:09 PM
Shit man, I did the 21 shot salute on my 21st birthday with 10 different types of vodka, 10 different whiskeys, and a double of everclear to cap it off and I'm still standing. Only remember about an hour after that but lol @ low alcohol tolerance.

This story becomes even more funny if it ended up being some weaksauce 40 proof vodka or someshit.

So many people do this, particularly on their birthdays, and it is not safe. The human body is not made to take in that much alcohol.

I didn't do the 21 shots thing (I was on a mission trip on my 21st), but I know plenty of people who have done that. If a friend asked me to go out with them on their birthday and they did that kind of shit I would try my hardest to stop them. It's not just the case that sa_butta has posted. It's a serious issue.

peewee's lovechild
06-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Fucking pussy.

I had my picture at a bar in Matamoros, Mexico called El Jarro for about a year.

Some dude challenged me to a tequila drink off and I drank 26 shots to his 24.
I was regarded as a hero.

But, I threw up an hour later.

Dex
06-27-2008, 07:21 PM
So many people do this, particularly on their birthdays, and it is not safe. The human body is not made to take in that much alcohol.

I didn't do the 21 shots thing (I was on a mission trip on my 21st), but I know plenty of people who have done that. If a friend asked me to go out with them on their birthday and they did that kind of shit I would try my hardest to stop them. It's not just the case that sa_butta has posted. It's a serious issue.

Yeah, the first thing I thought when I read the article was "Well that's what happens when you do 23 shots in 30-minutes, dumbass"

So to hear that there are people that are doing this as a regular, celebratory occasion?

:nope

Kudos for anyone who survived it....but if I had kids, I would slap them silly for attempting such a stunt.

People live through getting hit by trains sometimes, too, but you still won't see me walking up the tracks.

ashbeeigh
06-27-2008, 08:02 PM
:nope

Kudos for anyone who survived it....but if I had kids, I would slap them silly for attempting such a stunt.

My kids will know not to do that. And if I find out their ass is mine, even if they are 21+.

IronMexican
06-27-2008, 08:12 PM
most i ever drank was 3/4 a bottle of tequila 41%, blacked out, of course.

Ronaldo McDonald
06-27-2008, 08:14 PM
I actually wish more people die by doing shit like this. It'd keep them off the road and keep innocent people out of danger.

Ronaldo McDonald
06-27-2008, 08:20 PM
That herry Vodka shit is dangerous from what I hear. Mixing downer w/ upper is never good, especially when you're taking in such a large proportion as his.

jack sommerset
06-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Man. Thats freaken crazy. 23 shots in 30 minutes. In college students would drink a 100 beers in 3 days. I thought they were nuts.

Dex
06-27-2008, 09:22 PM
That herry Vodka shit is dangerous from what I hear. Mixing downer w/ upper is never good, especially when you're taking in such a large proportion as his.

Yep. The guy might not have kicked the bucket if he wasn't mixing Red Bull with all of those shots.

Combining alcohol and energy drinks can be risky if not moderated. The alcohol thins the blood and the energy drink increases your heart rate and gets it pumping like crazy, which can lead to all sorts of bad news. Not to mention that the energy drink gives you more energy and focus which just makes you keep drinking, when normally you'd already be over your limit and ready to call it a night.

BacktoBasics
06-28-2008, 09:16 AM
With that proof (40 if its true) its only the equivalent to about 10 shots. There has to be more too it because thats really not that much.

Cry Havoc
06-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Unless you're an abnormally large individual, anything over 10 shots is pretty freaking stupid. Nothing like people bragging about how many brain cells they can kill. :lmao I did that in college a few times, and it only took a few times for me discover that it's really not all people say it is. Especially factoring in the next day, the toilet privileges you will invariably gain at some point... but mostly because there's never been a point in my life where my friends were so boring that we needed to get drunk to have a good time.

BacktoBasics
06-28-2008, 10:04 AM
On a normal night I could see starting off the first hour with a shot or two and possible two mixed drinks.

Shots 2
Mixed Drinks = about 4 shots

So 6 shots in a relatively short period of time with 85 proof or 101 if I'm in a Turkey mood

Thats only a few less than this guy. Its not nearly as much as it sounds. Again if it was 40 proof.

Cry Havoc
06-28-2008, 10:22 AM
On a normal night I could see starting off the first hour with a shot or two and possible two mixed drinks.

Shots 2

So 6 shots in a relatively short period of time with 85 proof or 101 if I'm in a Turkey mood

Thats only a few less than this guy. Its not nearly as much as it sounds. Again if it was 40 proof.

You don't need to get hammered to start axing brain cells. The minute you feel a buzz, it's already starting to happen. I just don't see what's brag worthy about that.

You also should consider that, judging from the picture, he wasn't a large individual.

Slinkyman
06-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Do did he die of alcohol poisoning or Red Bull poisoning?

BacktoBasics
06-28-2008, 10:45 AM
You don't need to get hammered to start axing brain cells. The minute you feel a buzz, it's already starting to happen. I just don't see what's brag worthy about that.

You also should consider that, judging from the picture, he wasn't a large individual.I never said anything about bragging about consumption my only arguement was that it really wasn't that much booze compared to the start of a normal drinking night and that I felt there is likely an additional factor...possibly the red bull. I don't know.

Thunder Dan
06-28-2008, 10:53 AM
man I thought the 2 cosmos I had last night was overboard

Ronaldo McDonald
06-28-2008, 12:24 PM
I've heard something like you've got a 5% chance of dying when you do shots with the Red Bull. It's a vague statement/statistic and I don't know if it's true.

I've never liked getting drunk over getting a buzz. And I prefer some weed over getting buzzed or drunk, but I don't do that very often at all becasue of random drug testing at work.

Dex
06-28-2008, 12:46 PM

Shots 2

Yeah, but these days you're lucky if you can get two shots and two drinks at a crowded bar and can get them down in 30 minutes, not to mention if those two drinks will actually have four shots-worth in them. Unless you're just chugging them at the bar, which in that case...yeah, you're probably asking for trouble like this guy was.

24-shots in 30-minutes breaks down a drink every minute and fifteen seconds. I don't care how much you tip your bartender; that's a tough rate to keep up with, 40 proof or not.

AlamoSpursFan
06-28-2008, 12:48 PM
What a pussy.

Sincerely,
Marion Ravenwood

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/CEscobar/r09.jpg

Oh, Gee!!
06-28-2008, 09:22 PM
Florida is a waste of a state

MavDynasty
06-28-2008, 09:33 PM
first the decapitation at 6 flags and now this...

Why are there fuckin morons in this world...

BacktoBasics
06-30-2008, 09:15 AM
I went ahead and put this to a bit of a test on Saturday night.

Started off with 4 shots of 80 proof Jim beam in the first 8 minutes. One shot every two minutes.

Then had two double Jim and cokes for a total of 8 shots over the next 25 minutes.

Finished off the half hour or 35 minutes to be exact with three more Jim Beam shots for a total of 11 shots in a half hour.

This is just slightly less than his 23 40 proof shots. It would equate to 22 of his shots. I caught a light surface buzz because it was a little more than I normally drink that quickly and after I slowed down to just mixed drinks I leveled back off after about 30 minutes.

I'm convinced there is more too it. Its not nearly as much as it seems. The rate I was going was way more concentrated and not nearly as watered down with energy drinks like his were. No fucking way 23 shots of 40 proof can kill.

Something to do with the Redbull or some other pre-existing condition.

lebomb
06-30-2008, 09:28 AM
I drink 10 shots in a 2hr period and I swear Im about to die.

BacktoBasics
06-30-2008, 09:31 AM
I guess something like Jagar or some serious 100+ proof stuff might get to you but look at it like this.

A normal person at home mixed their own drinks way strong than any bar plus the booze isn't watered down.

A half and half bourbon and coke every 15 minutes would equal 8 shots. Thats just a bit less than this guys 23 40 proof shots. The relativity doesn't add up in my eyes. I could easily start with 4 drinks the first hour or so.

desflood
06-30-2008, 09:35 AM
The relativity doesn't add up in my eyes. I could easily start with 4 drinks the first hour or so.
Well, congratulations to you, sir, for being an alcoholic.

You might consider finding something else to brag about.

BacktoBasics
06-30-2008, 09:43 AM
Well, congratulations to you, sir, for being an alcoholic.

You might consider finding something else to brag about.:nope I'm not bragging just putting it into perspective

mookie2001
07-01-2008, 05:59 PM
My kids will know not to do that. And if I find out their ass is mine, even if they are 21+.
crofl!
my kids will not be chickenhawks.

Brutalis
07-01-2008, 06:08 PM
The amount of shots your body can handle depends on your health and body weight.

Obviously he is a frail guy, and his body couldn't handle that.

Now if you were normal weight, and average health I'm sure you'd be fine. Drunk off your ass but fine.

But obviously that dude was doing meth, or crack, or coke, or something. Look at his face. So not only was he too skinny to be drinking so much, I'm sure it combined with the drugs in his system as well.

Brutalis
07-01-2008, 06:10 PM

Same here. I can do 5 in a row and I'm totally fucked. But I don't drink much/often.

Spurminator
07-01-2008, 06:23 PM
It's possible that he had been drinking before this.