PDA

View Full Version : Goodell: Rookie pay is 'ridiculous'

peewee's lovechild
06-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Goodell: Rookie pay is 'ridiculous'

CHAUTAUQUA, N.Y. (AP) -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said it's "ridiculous" to reward untested rookies with lucrative contracts, and wants the issue addressed in contract talks.

"There's something wrong about the system," Goodell said Friday. "The money should go to people who perform."

Goodell referred to Michigan tackle Jake Long's five-year, $57.75 million contract -- with $30 million guaranteed. Long was the first overall draft pick by the Miami Dolphins in April.

"He doesn't have to play a down in the NFL and he already has his money," Goodell said during a question-and-answer period at the end of a weeklong sports symposium at the Chautauqua Institution. "Now, with the economics where they are, the consequences if you don't evaluate that player, you can lose a significant amount of money.

"And that money is not going to players that are performing. It's going to a player that never makes it in the NFL. And I think that's ridiculous."

Goodell said he favors lowering salaries offered to rookies, but allowing a provision for those players to renegotiate their deals after proving themselves on the field.

His statement was greeted by a long round of applause from the estimated crowd of 2,000 inside the amphitheater.

Speaking to reporters before his appearance, Goodell said he plans to open negotiations with the players union on a revamped labor deal this fall. He's listened to concerns from all 32 owners in meetings over the past month.

"We just finished a series of one-on-one meetings with all 32 teams, where I have a better understanding and people have a better understanding of the economics each team is facing," Goodell said. "I think we can identify what it is we need in a negotiation to continue to make the agreement work for the NFL and for the players."

Goodell said the key need is to have the NFL Players' Association appreciate the financial challenges owners face with rising stadium construction costs and a faltering economy. Those issues were not anticipated in the previous collective bargaining agreement, which provided players a 60 percent share of the league's gross revenues.

"As our costs increase outside of player costs, that other 40 percent ... squeezes the margins and just makes it financially unworkable," Goodell said. "There has to be some more recognition of the costs."

League owners, last month, voted unanimously to opt out of the CBA that was signed in spring 2006. The decision to opt out maintains labor peace through 2011, but will result in changes regarding the NFL's salary cap and contract signings if a new deal is not signed by March 2010.

Goodell referred to next March as a deadline, but "not the end deadline," but hoped a deal could be reached by then. If not, teams will enter the following season without a salary cap. While there are concerns some of the NFL's richer teams would use their vast resources to buy up star players, there's also a drawback for players.

Under the new rules, the time for free agency in an uncapped year would rise from four years to six and allow teams to protect one extra player with franchise or transition tags. In addition, the two-year lag would allow many teams to extend the contracts of their most important players, maintaining the continuity that is important to winning teams.

Goodell acknowledged the NFL and its owners failed to foresee the economic issues that would face the league when the last CBA was approved.

"There have been some things that none of us could've envisioned," Goodell said. "You have an economy that's weakening. You have aspects of the deal that we didn't realize that we were going to be building billion-dollar stadiums. ... Things happen. I don't look back at it as a mistake. I look back at it as what do we need to do going forward?"

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/06/27/goodell.rookies.ap/index.html

LocosPorJuana
06-29-2008, 03:52 PM
The nfl and the Nba can both learn from each other.

jack sommerset
06-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Fuck Goodell. Lower the ticket prices then perhaps I would feel sorry for that asshole. Seat licsenses now, give me a fucking break. I will never ever pay for a football ticket. I guess Goodell wants the owners to make 100 million dollars a year instead 96 million. Fucking dildo.Agents see how much money these dick heads are making and advsie the players to get theres. Prices are a fucking disgrace. I'm going to puke now.

misterx91578
06-29-2008, 05:23 PM
I like how he picked out Jake Long when his contract isn't even the biggest among this years rookies

jack sommerset
06-29-2008, 07:25 PM
I like how he picked out Jake Long when his contract isn't even the biggest among this years rookies

Lets not forget the players have no rights. After they sign the contract the team can tear it up the next day. Contracts in the NFL are a disgrace. Spectrum should have a hearing on that. Thats why players try to get signing bonuses. That money they can't touch or take from them.

greenroom
06-30-2008, 07:34 AM
Lets not also forget that after the 1st round of players, that the rest of the players do not make the huge money. So yes the top of the draft I think needs to get fixed, but the 5-8 rounders that make the team also need protection.

N.Y. Johnny
06-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Lets not forget the players have no rights. After they sign the contract the team can tear it up the next day. Contracts in the NFL are a disgrace. Spectrum should have a hearing on that. Thats why players try to get signing bonuses. That money they can't touch or take from them.

That is a clusterfuck. This is also why guys are always getting into disputes right after they sign what some people think are big deals. They get the raw end of it at times.

K-State Spur
06-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Contracts in the NFL are a disgrace.

Contracts in the NFL are the only ones that reflect most real world jobs.

BacktoBasics
06-30-2008, 01:18 PM
No way this flies with the players union.

degenerate_gambler
06-30-2008, 01:28 PM
No way this flies with the players union.

time for a strike then.

jack sommerset
06-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Contracts in the NFL are the only ones that reflect most real world jobs.

I don't think so. We sign contracts with employees some of the time. We signed a girl 7 months ago to a 2 year deal. The bosses fired her because she did not live up to expectations. They did not even blink to pay her the rest of her contract.

NFL has so many examples of screwing players. I'm just saying contracts in the NFL means jack shit. They are a joke. Alexander signed a 67 million dollar contract last year. Seahawks decided last year he sucked and cut him. Alexander signed like a 6 year deal. He could have signed with some other team, maybe he would not have had a bad year with another team. Who knows? But he trusted the organization, he had huge success with them in the past. 1 bad year and gone. He will never see that money anywhere.

The 3 other major sports you can't do that.

slayermin
06-30-2008, 08:16 PM
If it wasn't for signing bonuses, the players wouldn't get crap. Of all professional athletes, NFL players deserve and earn their money ten-fold.

K-State Spur
06-30-2008, 08:24 PM
I don't think so. We sign contracts with employees some of the time. We signed a girl 7 months ago to a 2 year deal. The bosses fired her because she did not live up to expectations. They did not even blink to pay her the rest of her contract.

NFL has so many examples of screwing players. I'm just saying contracts in the NFL means jack shit. They are a joke. Alexander signed a 67 million dollar contract last year. Seahawks decided last year he sucked and cut him. Alexander signed like a 6 year deal. He could have signed with some other team, maybe he would not have had a bad year with another team. Who knows? But he trusted the organization, he had huge success with them in the past. 1 bad year and gone. He will never see that money anywhere.

The 3 other major sports you can't do that.

Most (obviously not all) people in the real world can be terminated with (often without) severance that is nowhere near the value of the remainder of salary/contract.

Of course, they can switch to higher paying jobs almost at will as well, which kinda blows my original point out of the water. Nevermind...

jack sommerset
07-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Also in the real world lawyers and courts get involved when a contract is broken. NFL does not need to worry about that. Crazy!!!!!!!!!!

K-State Spur
07-01-2008, 11:44 PM

Nobody is complaining about the signing bonuses. It's that some of the biggest contracts are going to the players who have proven the least. Even most current players do not like that financial setup.

Spuradicator
07-02-2008, 10:37 PM
The rookie pay is stupid. Look how many teams got fucked by the Ryan Leafs, David Carrs and Joey Harringtons of the world. I think top picks should get paid on a scale, but what Matt Ryan and Fatty(from the Raiders) got last year is getting out of hand. It goes up every year too. Before you know it a player who has never taken a snap will be getting paid, have bigger bonuses, than the Tom Bradys and Peyton Mannings for the league. Which is stupid.

samikeyp
07-04-2008, 07:21 PM
The rookie pay is stupid. Look how many teams got fucked by the Ryan Leafs, David Carrs and Joey Harringtons of the world. I think top picks should get paid on a scale, but what Matt Ryan and Fatty(from the Raiders) got last year is getting out of hand. It goes up every year too. Before you know it a player who has never taken a snap will be getting paid, have bigger bonuses, than the Tom Bradys and Peyton Mannings for the league. Which is stupid.

+1

I guess i'm old school but I think a player should prove himself before cashing in.

sa_butta
07-05-2008, 11:13 AM
I totally agree, how can you give a guy so much when he has done so little. I mean you give a rookie that much money and he is more likely to go crazy and not really work hard for the money. You give him less with an incentive to make more and he works his ass off and pays your team dividends.

jack sommerset
07-05-2008, 12:36 PM
I totally agree, how can you give a guy so much when he has done so little. I mean you give a rookie that much money and he is more likely to go crazy and not really work hard for the money. You give him less with an incentive to make more and he works his ass off and pays your team dividends.

How many rookies are you guys really talking about? Crazy money you are talking about 5 rookies, maybe 10. There are over 200 people taken in the draft. Some don't even make the team so no money.I think we all can agree after 1st round they are not making the killer bucks. I would think those choosen in first round deserve to be paid money. It happens in the real world. Cooperate America goes to the top colleges to recruit the best of the best for there business's and they get paid. Also the NFL players average career is 4-5 years. If you are the top 5 to 10 college player you deserve that money. Maybe NFL teams should do there homewrok a bit better before drafting the Ryan Leafs of the world.

NFL contract means crap anyway. They can sign these rookies and cut them the following day if they suck. Just like any other NFL player. All the player/rookie gets is the signing bonus. The team gets all the media coverage from a top 5 pick,merchandise being bought with the new savior of the team number on it, more season tickets being sold,etc...

NFL teams are selling licsense fee's for fucking seats now. Its not the chicken or the egg who is more greedy. If the NFL and owners are going to be greedy and make all this money, the players deserve it. Now if all of a sudden tickets are lowered, my cable bill is lowered, merchandise is lowered I will agree.

samikeyp
07-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Some of those signing bonuses are millions of dollars so if that was "all I got"....im ok with it. I would like to see a rookie cap if even only for the first few rounds. I still believe a player should prove himself on the field. You were right about Ryan Leaf but you can do all the scouting and research you want and still miss on a player. Its easy to bash the Leaf pick now 10+ years later but at the time, almost everybody wanted him and that was after doing all possible tests and research.

I do agree though about the NFL being greedy and those PSL's are a joke. The NFL is full of hypocrisy. They legislate hits on the field...then turn around and sell DVD's like "NFL's Greatest Hits" where the same plays they give fines for...they feature on those DVD's. They talk about preserving the tradition of the game, then ignore the older, retired players who can barely make ends meet if not at all.