For the minimum?

Fuck yes.

Come on back Robert.

Lake_show
06-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!

angelbelow
06-27-2008, 07:39 PM
i would love him here. hes a great influence to our young guys and has a wide knowledge of the game. im definitely okay with bring him back.

Spurs Brazil
06-27-2008, 07:40 PM
One more year playing for the minimum I have no problem but only to play minutes here and there.

Give big minutes to Ian

Dex
06-27-2008, 07:41 PM
I say bring him back. When you've got 7 rings on your fingers, you're entitled to a second shot after a bad season.

If he wants to come back into the fold for the minimum, I say you do it. You know he already has great chemistry with the guys, Tim in particular, and at the very least he could be a solid locker-room contributor in a Kevin Willis / Tony Massenburg type role.

Best case scenario, he has a couple moments next season that prove that last season's struggles really were a fluke.

Kindergarten Cop
06-27-2008, 07:41 PM
For the minimum?

Fuck yes.

Come on back Robert.

I agree whole-heartedly. I know that we are trying to get younger, but when you can get a veteran with Horry's experience for the minimum - you have to do it. I believe that Horry will bounce back and have a much better year.

Bruno
06-27-2008, 07:42 PM
If there is a roster spot available, I have nothing against re-signing him.

duncan228
06-27-2008, 07:43 PM
You might want to edit the post, it's an AP article.

As you may or may not have heard, the Associated Press (AP) is in a battle with bloggers/websites that re-post (or portions of) their articles. They are filing lawsuits and take down notices to websites who are doing it.

It's probably going to turn into a big mess and I think eventually AP will back down a bit. But it is what it is right now.

Therefore, you shouldn't post AP stories anymore. They are actually charging for copying as little as five words from their stories. http://license.icopyright.net/user/o...AGE&urt=nullit

So, if you see an AP story and want to post it in the forum, just link to it.

Thanks,

Kori

Kindergarten Cop
06-27-2008, 07:45 PM
You might want to edit the post, it's an AP article.

Sorry. Thanks for the heads-up.

duncan228
06-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Oh, and I'd love to see Horry back if it works for the team. He brings a winning, vet savvy that I think is invaluable.

Sway
06-27-2008, 07:46 PM
Please No!!! Retire already. He will only take minutes away from Ian.

duncan228
06-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Sorry. Thanks for the heads-up.

No problem. I'd hate to see ST get in any trouble, where would I hang out? :)

bdictjames
06-27-2008, 07:47 PM
I hope he gets his shooting touch back and really plays like its his last year in the playoffs.

Here's to you Rob!

tav1
06-27-2008, 07:53 PM
There are worse options than Horry, and he could help Ian. But I think I'd rather see the Spurs do the difficult thing and say good-bye. My main reason is a complete liability on offense and can not spread the court like he used to. For the LLE, I'd rather see Foyle, Benson or Javtokas as a 6th big. But whatever, it's the 6th big.

T Park
06-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Adonal Foyle? :lmao

Foyle SUCKS.

Minimum. Wouldn't count against the cap.

Javtokas isn't coming to the damn states anyways.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 07:55 PM
The Spurs aren't in a position to let him go. They don't have enough talent to do so.

tp2021
06-27-2008, 08:05 PM
It’s not about breaking the bank. I just want the minimum. I’ve made enough money. I just like being with the guys and competing and having fun.

That's just awesome. He is a Spur, no doubt.

We ARE allowed to quote a player, even if the quote is in an AP story, right?

jack sommerset
06-27-2008, 08:07 PM
I would say no but that would be tough knowing everything he has accomplished in the NBA.

pad300
06-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Please No!!! Retire already. He will only take minutes away from Ian.

Agreed, we should have forced a transition to youth last year by playing Bonner much more - even if he didn't get the defense immediately, he would have hopefully limited his errors with more playing time. This year, we really need to work on transitioning to younger players. A rotation of 6 bigs has 4 guaranteed contracts already
Duncan, Oberto, Bonner, and Ian.
This leaves 2 spots for bigs.

We have the rights to the following players
Sanikidze, Gist, Javtokas

We have Bird rights on
Horry and Thomas.

Thomas was much better than Horry last season, and we have his bird rights so that the signing wouldn't cut into our use of the MLE and LLE. It is therefore we will likely sign him as perhaps the best FA big man available for lees than the MLE.

Duncan, Oberto, Bonner, Ian and Kurt
One spot left.

If Ian is on the main team, then either one other big is in a suit or playing for the Toros. Playing for the Toros is better, because the player will improve given minutes. Horry can't go to the Toros. Any of Gist, Sanikidze or Javtokas could...Also, there are other FA's who might be available and worth looking at. I would suggest Nick Fazekas, who played last year with the Clippers and a tiny bit with the Mavs. He rebounds suprisingly well (rebr 19.1, Knickerblogger.net) and has quite a jumpshot(efg% on jumpshot .409 with not threes, 82games.com) for a big...He'd also likely be cheap (like the vet min for 2 years guaranteed).

All this to say that there is no roster spot for Horry...

VaSpursFan
06-27-2008, 08:12 PM
you bring horry back period. i see him taking on a player/mentor/coach like role. if any guy can gain one tenth of horry's Bball IQ, it's all good.

AFBlue
06-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Since the Spurs got no immediate help on the perimeter in the draft, they'll need every bit of the MLE to get some help.

Because they also have a need at F/C, it would be prudent to bring Horry back.

Caveat: Horry should earn minutes based on his performance.

SenorSpur
06-27-2008, 08:23 PM
I know I'm in the minority here and this is a "hornets nest" type of topic. But did anybody watch Horry's performance last season? If we're going that route, let's bring back Finley and Stoudamire too.

Sorry folks. Let's all stop living in the past. Horry has been a wonderful contributor and fantastic pro, but it's time to turn the page. THe Spurs can ill-afford to waste roster spots on guys that can only play every other game.

I'd love to have him on the staff as an assistant, but not on the active roster.

timvp
06-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Looking at the roster, it looks like it'll come down to Robert Horry vs. James Gist. Experience and savvy versus potential Long Three with explosive athleticism. I'd be fine either way but if Gist shows promise in summer league, it might be time to turn the page.

bigdog
06-27-2008, 08:34 PM
I have no problem with Horry coming back, but we have Bonner. If any team would be willing to take Bonner away from us, then it would be great. I'd like to see both Horry and Gist on the team.

td4mvp21
06-27-2008, 08:35 PM
No...I love Horry but him and Finley need to retire.

Kindergarten Cop
06-27-2008, 08:37 PM
We have Bird rights on
Horry and Thomas.

How do we have Thomas' Bird rights?

Steve-O-Matic
06-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Fred Sanford was more mobile than Horry is these days. I'd rather invest the roster spot in someone with a potential future (and/or a present). Horry isn't going to be the difference between us winning or not winning a championship next season.

beirmeistr
06-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Fred Sanford was more mobile than Horry is these days. I'd rather invest the roster spot in someone with a potential future (and/or a present). Horry isn't going to be the difference between us winning or not winning a championship next season.

That's funny that you say that since Horry walks with a fred Sanford shuffle.

pad300
06-27-2008, 08:47 PM
How do we have Thomas' Bird rights?
They come with the player when traded.

mrspurs
06-27-2008, 08:54 PM
noway...as a player...yes way as a coach...horry will only be more horryble next season regardless of any injuries....he is way to laid back, and you could argue thats what you need during crunch time minutes...id say great words as a coach, but imo horry lacks the hunger we need on that court in Todays NBA, times have changed, and the talent level is high...i think most of us saw it with our own eyes this past season as mostly in the PO's...we dont need a big who sits outside and fires from the arc(and lets be honest, those days are long gone, and i saw it with my own eyes all season) we need someone who is big and can grab rebounds(not tip out), someone that could help timmy the poor guy deserves better and mostly someone who is hungry.....imo horry isnt that guy, no more shining the pine bigs..i dont care how much experience he has

Kindergarten Cop
06-27-2008, 09:01 PM
They come with the player when traded.

After I posted that, I went back and reviewed that. I thought that the Bird rights went along with a player after he was traded, but I didn't think they stuck with him if he were traded again in that same 3 year period. I was wrong. I can see now that a player keeps the Bird rights as long as he isn't waived or he doesn't change teams AS A FREE AGENT. Thomas has neither been waived, nor has he changed teams as a FA over the past 3 seasons - so you are correct, we do have Bird rights on KT. Sorry for doubting you.:toast

200 miles
06-27-2008, 09:12 PM
the youth movement starts NOW

0201rinckwater
06-27-2008, 09:18 PM
If he comes for the min why not take him . The last time he played like shit against the Lakers he came back with a bang.`

Steve-O-Matic
06-27-2008, 09:27 PM
If he comes for the min why not take him . The last time he played like shit against the Lakers he came back with a bang.`

Because he's going to be 38 and has been a total liability on the floor. He's not going to suddenly find the fountain of youth. There are savvyer ways of investing your roster spots.

WildcardManu
06-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Dunno if it's been posted yet, but just saw it on Espn.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3464573

WildcardManu
06-27-2008, 10:02 PM
What are the chances either will pick him up?

missmyzte
06-27-2008, 10:26 PM
How nice, an article to say what I reported over a month ago...
I told y'all Robert said he wasn't going to retire.

midgetonadonkey
06-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Let him go to Houston.

mystargtr34
06-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Let him go to Houston... hes been great but he sucks now

tmtcsc
06-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Stop me if you heard this one before:

I saw Rob at a northside club tonight and hung out with him for a while. I asked him what he thought of the draft and he said "I like it. It's cold and it beats a bottle."

Anyhooo...Rob has more to offer than what he showed last year. He had a rough year on and off the court and no one wants to go out like that. He played pretty well against the Hornets in game 6 and 7. I'd take him. Plus, that number change looked fucked up. He needs his 5 back.

Budkin
06-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Horry is welcome back. He never got into playing form all year.

duncan228
06-27-2008, 10:44 PM
How nice, an article to say what I reported over a month ago...
I told y'all Robert said he wasn't going to retire.

I never doubt anything you say about Horry. Your source is the best. :)

SPURSGOAT
06-27-2008, 10:51 PM
NO!!! Didn't any of you watch how he played in the playoffs!? He has nothing left... just a shell of himself now.... heck Pop didn't even play him in game 5 of the LA series... He will be wasted space on the bench that we could be using for someone else like Gist...

SPURSGOAT
06-27-2008, 10:52 PM

:tu

Vinnie_Johnson
06-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Is Horry the only one that doesn't know he can't play anymore? :wow

Steve-O-Matic
06-27-2008, 11:05 PM

Precisely. Roster spots should be based on merit, not handed out as lifetime achievement awards. If you didn't know who Horry was and simply watched him out on the court at this point, you'd wonder how he was even in the league.

TDMVPDPOY
06-27-2008, 11:13 PM
horry tryin to earn his last paycheck

how about a big fuck off,

you can earn more by being will smiths double

Dex
06-27-2008, 11:28 PM
People who think Horry isn't worth a roster spot are off their rocker.

Not a single team in the NBA plays 15-deep. Even if the guy is too old to contribute like he used to on the court, you are not going to find any better example of a playoff-savvy, battle-tested veteran than Robert Fucking Horry. Especially considering the fact that we are trying to inject some youth into this team, you need veteran presence to put them in the right direction.

Spurs played magical chairs with their 15th spot last season, and you're saying we don't have room for Big Shot?

And I've said this once already, but if you've won seven NBA championships, you deserve a chance to redeem yourself after a bad season.

Steve-O-Matic
06-27-2008, 11:38 PM
Even if the guy is too old to contribute like he used to on the court, you are not going to find any better example of a playoff-savvy, battle-tested veteran than Robert Fucking Horry. Especially considering the fact that we are trying to inject some youth into this team, you need veteran presence to put them in the right direction.
We already have a roster stacked with playoff-savvy, battle-tested veterans who can serve as a veteran presence for the young guys. We don't need another one, who is a liability on the court. We need good basketball players, not good youth counselors.

duncan228
06-27-2008, 11:40 PM
The Express News chimes in...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA062808.4D.BKNspurs.horry.3feaa55.html

Horry wanting to return, hopes it's with the Spurs

Spurs forward Robert Horry reiterated Friday that he would like to play another NBA season, preferably for the Spurs.

Horry, who told the Express-News last week that he believed he had one more season left in him even though he will turn 38 in August, gave an interview to a Houston TV station in which he said his disappointing 2007-08 season was not the way he wants his career to end.

“I don't want to retire, especially after a year like I had last year,” Horry told KRIV-TV. “I know I could have had a better year. The year started off crazy for me with family issues and then it ended crazy for me getting hurt right at the end of the season.”

Horry will become a free agent on July 1. The Spurs have made no commitment to any of their free agents: Horry, guard Michael Finley or forward Kurt Thomas.

Horry had told the Express-News that if he returned for a 17th season, he preferred that it be with the Spurs, but said there were “two or three” other teams for which he would consider playing. KRIV-TV reported that Horry said he would prefer to play in Houston if the Spurs opted not to sign him. He played his first four seasons for the Rockets and maintains a home in Houston.

The defending champion Spurs lost in the Western Conference finals to the Los Angeles Lakers in five games. Horry averaged 2.5 points a game last season, 1.5 during the playoffs.

During the playoffs, Horry passed Kareem Abdul-Jabbar for the most playoff appearances in NBA history. Horry finished this season with 244 playoff game appearances; Abdul-Jabbar had 237. Horry has been in the playoffs in every one of his NBA seasons.

wisnub
06-27-2008, 11:47 PM
Its good if he accepts minimum veteran salary at teh lowest...currently he get paid more than $3 million a year and he suck balls all playoffs long. If he get the lowest veteran salary than yes, if he wants good money then FuCK Horry!!
We need the money to sign real impact player..we need it to beat Celtics

Dex
06-28-2008, 12:19 AM
We already have a roster stacked with playoff-savvy, battle-tested veterans who can serve as a veteran presence for the young guys. We don't need another one, who is a liability on the court. We need good basketball players, not good youth counselors.

Tim, Tony, and Manu are all leaders by example, but none are very vocal about taking the reigns of the team. Only in recent years have you even seen Tim pull the team together or be the guy talking in the huddle. For whatever reason, it's a role that none of them really seems to wants to accept, and that's when they defer to Pop.

Horry is one of the few players who is willing to call someone out, who is willing to hold people accountable, and who is willing to put his experience to work. The only other person who comes close is Brent Barry, but you can't compare Barry's experience to Horry's. And Finley was always too busy trying to straighten out his own head to help out anybody else.

For a team that lacks a serious vocal presence and is bringing in a mix of young or new players, it seems foolish to send away one of your best locker room leaders if he's willing to come back for the minimum. Especially if that guy is one of the most decorated players to have ever been in the league.

Rob's not even playing hardball about it. He's pretty much said he wants to come back here, and it sounds like the ball is in the Spurs' court.

T Park
06-28-2008, 12:53 AM
Unreal the amount of BS I'm seeing in this thread.

Unreal.

SenorSpur
06-28-2008, 01:01 AM
Basketball is a business. Sentiment should NEVER drive business decisions. For those who are clamoring for Robert to return, I ask again, "what were you watching last season?" It should be painfully obvious that Horry is done. He's through. It's unfortunate that a lot of times, the athlete is the LAST one to know that he can't do it anymore. He only finds out when the phone doesn't ring.

How is this team ever supposed to get younger and more athletic if it keeps getting old?
As has been stated earlier, we have enough playoff-savvy veterans on this team to make up for the loss of Horry. If Bonner can't pick up the slack, then he needs to go too. Get someone else in here that can spread the floor.

No way would I take a spot away from a younger, developing talent like Gist and give away to a guy who is such a liability. If Pop does, then he's a damn fool and a hypocrite. Turn the page already.

I know Robert's pride is hurt and he's having trouble rationalizing the fact that his career is winding down. However, that's not the Spurs problem. If he wants to play, fine. He just can't play here.

TDMVPDPOY
06-28-2008, 01:02 AM
i say trade his ass to rockets for MOUNT MUTOMBO

SenorSpur
06-28-2008, 01:03 AM
Horry is one of the few players who is willing to call someone out, who is willing to hold people accountable, and who is willing to put his experience to work.

Horry should've called himself out for being in absent, in such horrible shape and injured. Horry did not show the type of dedication last season that we've come to expect from him. There's no way to rationalize it. There's no kind way to put it. He should save his dignity and simply retire.

Blackjack
06-28-2008, 01:34 AM
Tim, Tony, and Manu are all leaders by example, but none are very vocal about taking the reigns of the team. Only in recent years have you even seen Tim pull the team together or be the guy talking in the huddle. For whatever reason, it's a role that none of them really seems to wants to accept, and that's when they defer to Pop.

Horry is one of the few players who is willing to call someone out, who is willing to hold people accountable, and who is willing to put his experience to work. The only other person who comes close is Brent Barry, but you can't compare Barry's experience to Horry's. And Finley was always too busy trying to straighten out his own head to help out anybody else.

For a team that lacks a serious vocal presence and is bringing in a mix of young or new players, it seems foolish to send away one of your best locker room leaders if he's willing to come back for the minimum. Especially if that guy is one of the most decorated players to have ever been in the league.

Rob's not even playing hardball about it. He's pretty much said he wants to come back here, and it sounds like the ball is in the Spurs' court.

:tu

Your not going to find a better big to come in and play spot-minutes for the veteran minimum. Maybe he's not the player he once was, but he's more than capable of helping to contribute on and off the court for a championship contender.

I'm not wiiling to throw him under the bus, like alot of you seem more than willing to do. I'm more inclined to believe last years performance had more to do with family issues, injuries, and never being able to get in a groove.

Having said that... If the Spurs aren't going to play Bonner, they've got to find a way to move him and open up another roster spot. That way Rob takes Bonner's spot while leaving an opening for Gist, or dare I say... McGuire??? :smokin

It would be ideal for Ian and maybe even Gist to have a guy like Rob to learn from. Having these guys hang around Rob for a year could really help with their maturation process. Rob has one the highest BBIQ's this team has ever had, and if some of that can rub off on these young fellas... We should be so lucky.

T Park
06-28-2008, 01:58 AM
Horry should've called himself out for being in absent, in such horrible shape and injured. Horry did not show the type of dedication last season that we've come to expect from him. There's no way to rationalize it. There's no kind way to put it. He should save his dignity and simply retire.

Yeah he shouldn't have attended to his family at the beginning of the year.

God, glass houses man chill the fuck out.

Thomas
06-28-2008, 02:07 AM
Hopefully Horry comes back, then we advance to the second round at least

taps
06-28-2008, 02:12 AM
If we win in '09 and Horry is resigned and has a good playoff run is their any chance we'll retire his jersey? The assumption seems to be that Houston will have that honor but I just wanted to see if anybody thought it could happen. Personally, I want to be at the at&t when they hoist #25.

Dex, TPark: keep fighting the good fight.

Sway
06-28-2008, 05:04 AM
Basketball is a business. Sentiment should NEVER drive business decisions. For those who are clamoring for Robert to return, I ask again, "what were you watching last season?" It should be painfully obvious that Horry is done. He's through. It's unfortunate that a lot of times, the athlete is the LAST one to know that he can't do it anymore. He only finds out when the phone doesn't ring.

How is this team ever supposed to get younger and more athletic if it keeps getting old?
As has been stated earlier, we have enough playoff-savvy veterans on this team to make up for the loss of Horry. If Bonner can't pick up the slack, then he needs to go too. Get someone else in here that can spread the floor.

No way would I take a spot away from a younger, developing talent like Gist and give away to a guy who is such a liability. If Pop does, then he's a damn fool and a hypocrite. Turn the page already.

I know Robert's pride is hurt and he's having trouble rationalizing the fact that his career is winding down. However, that's not the Spurs problem. If he wants to play, fine. He just can't play here.

Well put...unfortunately some people around here just arent going to get it. They are on the Horry short bus and are unwilling to get off it even though it isnt moving.

Harry Callahan
06-28-2008, 06:58 AM
If he will take the mimimum where there is little SC impact and there is a roster spot available.

If he is healthy (he wasn't last year) he could be useful.

If younger options open up this summer, it may be time to move on.

I really wonder if Horry and Finley can be brought back or if only one is going to make sense.

MagnusKrauss
06-28-2008, 07:44 AM
for the vet min, why not?

but it's not beyond the FO to do a sign and trade, right?

wildbill2u
06-28-2008, 08:14 AM
Everyone knows that Horry doesn't bother to play up to par during the regular season. He just doesn't.

What would it have meant to the Spurs to win that one extra regular season game or two to have home court advantage during the playoffs?

It would have meant Denver and Utah instead of Phoenix and N.O.

If you don't start transitioning to younger players now--and getting them into the Spurs system--then when do you do it? After Tim and the rest of our great starters are older? Our championship window for the Big Three isn't going to be there forever so we can't keep Horry on for sentiment.

SenorSpur
06-28-2008, 08:22 AM
Yeah he shouldn't have attended to his family at the beginning of the year.

God, glass houses man chill the fuck out.

The family issues were unavoidable - as were his diminished production and declining skills. How 'bout you taking off your rose-colored blinders?

rj215
06-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Everyone knows that Horry doesn't bother to play up to par during the regular season. He just doesn't.

What would it have meant to the Spurs to win that one extra regular season game or two to have home court advantage during the playoffs?

If you don't start transitioning to younger players now--and getting them into the Spurs system--then when do you do it? After Tim and the rest of our great starters are older? Our championship window for the Big Three isn't going to be there forever so we can't keep Horry on for sentiment.

Horry is looking more and more like the typical ego-driven athlete that doesn't realize that it's time to hang it up. He should've retired after the '07 title. It's time for Pop and the entire organization to move on. We need more from our backup 4 in the regular season.

SenorSpur
06-28-2008, 08:27 AM
]Everyone knows that Horry doesn't bother to play up to par during the regular season. He just doesn't.[/B]

Couldn't agree more. And this is the example that many of you want to have displayed from one of the team's so-called vocal leaders?

SenorSpur
06-28-2008, 08:29 AM
If he will take the mimimum where there is little SC impact and there is a roster spot available.

If he is healthy (he wasn't last year) he could be useful.

If younger options open up this summer, it may be time to move on.

I really wonder if Horry and Finley can be brought back or if only one is going to make sense.

IMO, neither option makes sense. Anyone who paid attention to how this team played and saw the flaws that were exposed and the components that it lacked (perimeter athleticism, lack of offense, lack of bench production)would understands why neither option makes sense.

mrspurs
06-28-2008, 08:39 AM
People who think Horry isn't worth a roster spot are off their rocker.

Not a single team in the NBA plays 15-deep. Even if the guy is too old to contribute like he used to on the court, you are not going to find any better example of a playoff-savvy, battle-tested veteran than Robert Fucking Horry. Especially considering the fact that we are trying to inject some youth into this team, you need veteran presence to put them in the right direction.

Spurs played magical chairs with their 15th spot last season, and you're saying we don't have room for Big Shot?

And I've said this once already, but if you've won seven NBA championships, you deserve a chance to redeem yourself after a bad season.

thats exactly where horry belongs........on a rocker, in another teams uniform..

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-28-2008, 10:02 AM
Whatever Horry decides to do, I'm behind him 100%.

nfg3
06-28-2008, 01:42 PM
I wouldn't mind Horry coming back for the min. but I would have a problem if he were to take signiciant minutes away from Ian or another younger budding player who needs the minutes to develop - who ever that may be.

Spurtacus
06-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Horry > Bonner

If we can't get any FA, then resign Horry.

rascal
06-28-2008, 02:38 PM
I don't want to see Horry on the roster instead of Gist unless Gist looks totally lost in the summer league.

jay014
06-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Let him go to Houston. He's got nothing left. He should retire.

Kermit
06-28-2008, 02:45 PM
I saw Horry at the Astros game last night. I turned to him and asked him if he was going to play for the Spurs if he played another year. He looked at me, and then looked through me, as though I didn't exist and then said what's up to the groupie standing behind me. Moral of the story: Robert Horry can see through short, white people.

T Park
06-28-2008, 02:46 PM
The family issues were unavoidable - as were his diminished production and declining skills. How 'bout you taking off your rose-colored blinders?

Yeah people said the same thing about him after the 04 Lakers series.

Then wow, he magically became good again.

Bring him back, ignore the people that are ignorant to loyalty.

T Park
06-28-2008, 02:47 PM
I don't want to see Horry on the roster instead of Gist unless Gist looks totally lost in the summer league.

So bring back Horry.

Got it.

Steve-O-Matic
06-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Yeah people said the same thing about him after the 04 Lakers series.

Then wow, he magically became good again.

Bring him back, ignore the people that are ignorant to loyalty.

Umm, that was FOUR YEARS ago. He was a rapidly diminishing player even then, and he's a shell of that now. He shot 32% last year and his P/40 averages and Player Efficiency Rating were certifiably horrid. He has no redeeming basketball skills at this point. Scoring, shooting, rebounding, defense, transition play, no matter the category he was/is absolutely dreadful. If his name was Paul Ernst instead of Robert Horry and he put up those same numbers, you'd have your pitchforks out and would be calling for the crucifixtion of both he and R.C. Buford. Horry is not entitled to an un-merited roster spot in the name of "loyalty." This is a basketball team, not a Moose Club.

bostonguy
06-28-2008, 04:06 PM
One thing I can say about Horry is he can still make an impact. Sure he was dogshit throughout most of these playoffs, but his "hit" on David West in game 6 turned the Hornets into a soft rattled team. Horry still gives hard fouls to send a message to both teams. For a 12th man role, it wouldnt hurt to bring him back. Unless you can find someonme better (A young player too good to put on IR), it's not a horrible idea to have him at that role.

T Park
06-28-2008, 04:11 PM
One thing I can say about Horry is he can still make an impact. Sure he was dogshit throughout most of these playoffs, but his "hit" on David West in game 6 turned the Hornets into a soft rattled team. Horry still gives hard fouls to send a message to both teams. For a 12th man role, it wouldnt hurt to bring him back. Unless you can find someonme better (A young player too good to put on IR), it's not a horrible idea to have him at that role.

Thats not even mentioning the huge shots in game 7 vs the Hornets. The defense and steals in game 5 vs the Suns.

Hes still got a little bit left.

bigfan
06-28-2008, 04:32 PM
For the veterans minimum I'd keep him. Same goes for Finley but Im sure somebody will pay Finley more than that.

ManuIsAmazing
06-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Bring Horry back. I will be really upset if he goes to Houston. What happens if we play Houston in the playoffs and Horry hits a big shot in our face? I don't want that to happen, and I think he still has a few more bullets left in his gun.

Dex
06-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Those of you who are still whining about Horry "wasting" a roster spot need to take a look at how big of a difference DerMarr Johnson, Keith Langford, and Bobby Jones were able to make last year. What about Ian Mahinmi? James White? Melvin Sanders?

But no. We really need to save that 15th roster spot for some fucking scrub. After all, what will we do without a Mengke Bateer?

Fortunately, most of you are never right with your predictions anyways.

Bruno
06-28-2008, 05:14 PM
I remember Horry saying that he doesn't know if Spurs will want him back.

IMO, Spurs should tell Horry that they will give him an answer at the end of the SL. Depending on what Hairston/Gist do in the SL, there could have or not a roster spot available for Horry.

tav1
06-28-2008, 05:26 PM
Pop DNP'd him last game against the Lakers. They don't want him back, but they don't want to be disrepectful, either. He'll get his number retired, but he's not getting another contract from the Spurs.

Fiestadog
06-28-2008, 05:58 PM
No...I love Horry but him and Finley need to retire.

Absolutely, they are old, prone to injury, unathletic and over the hill. We need new blood, young blood...gamers. Not a bunch of "can't get it doners."

kobyz
06-28-2008, 06:00 PM
i dont know if Horry have something left in his tank

jag
06-28-2008, 06:06 PM
I have no idea why so many people are excited to have him back....wtf does he actually bring to the court?? We could use that roster spot to develop young talent.

Just f'n retire already.

Those of you who are still whining about Horry "wasting" a roster spot need to take a look at how big of a difference DerMarr Johnson, Keith Langford, and Bobby Jones were able to make last year. What about Ian Mahinmi? James White? Melvin Sanders?

But no. We really need to save that 15th roster spot for some fucking scrub. After all, what will we do without a Mengke Bateer?

At this point in their careers, DerMarr Johnson has more talent in his drunk pinky than robert has in his entire brokedown, out-of-shape, old ass body.

06-28-2008, 06:13 PM
we can always count on his hack-a-shaq capabilities.

SenorSpur
06-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Thats not even mentioning the huge shots in game 7 vs the Hornets. The defense and steals in game 5 vs the Suns.

Hes still got a little bit left.

That's a good idea. Waste a roster spot on a guy because he hit a couple of shots or he simply thinks he's "got a little bit left." Brilliant strategy.

Since when did loyalty become part of making sound personnel decisions? Sorry, it doesn't work that way. The idea is to put the best possible roster together and not saving a spot for a player who can't dial it up on a game-to-game basis.

Ever hear Charles Barkley confess that toward the end of his career how he couldn't play on back-to-back nights? How he became injury-prone? He admitted that he knew it. He just couldn't bring himself to quit. None of us could ever imagine how incredibly tough it must be to face your athletic mortality. Howver, that's where Horry appears to be now.

If Horry could bring it every night, wouldn't be an issue. The fact is he can't. It happens to everyone. Horry has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. He's been a good player and a consummate professional. It's just time. If he can't make the decision himself, I trust Pop will do so for him.

angelbelow
06-28-2008, 07:35 PM
we never fill up 15 anyways, why not have horry around as a player coach, hes expressed that hes interested in coaching, his experience, leadership, and EXPERENCE could do wonders for ian an guys like hill and gist. for the minimum, why not?

i believe that while the minimum counts against the cap, the league pays the player, am i right on this? i remember reading that somewhere.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-28-2008, 07:52 PM
i believe that while the minimum counts against the cap, the league pays the player, am i right on this? i remember reading that somewhere.

Correct.

Sigz
06-28-2008, 07:58 PM
I'd say he's got more defensive defining moments, than offensive if he came back.

His shooting was just... ugly.

T Park
06-28-2008, 07:59 PM
minimum doesn't count against the cap I believe. I think you can sign as many as you want (within 15 of course)

T Park
06-28-2008, 07:59 PM
I'd say he's got more defensive defining moments, than offensive if he came back.

His shooting was just... ugly.

Yeah those 3s vs New Orleans were just invisible in the second half.

jag
06-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Yeah those 3s vs New Orleans were just invisible in the second half.

The guy played ONE game the entire season and he's worth a roster spot? What does he bring to the team? If you say experience and leadership, then i'd have no problem if the spurs kept him on as an assistant. He got nothing left in the tank...why are you intent on having him on the roster next season?

Dex
06-28-2008, 08:25 PM
The guy had one bad season which was riddled with family issues and injury. He didn't even start playing basketball until what, a couple weeks before the playoffs? And that decision was on Pop just as much as it was Horry. He can't always catch lightning in a bottle.

But I know guys have gotten passes on much worse seasons than that. Greg Oden hasn't even played a single NBA minute, and people are still ready to concede the league to him in the next few years.

I have no qualms with letting Finley walk. Even to see Barry leave for the same reasons wouldn't be a surprise.

But Robert Horry isn't your typical player. He's one of the most inspirational cases the game has ever seen, and if he is serious about wanting to prove that last season really was just a bad season, I think you roll those dice and give him a chance. He only single-handledly saved our third championship, and helped put the nails into a number of other playoff foes.

Worst case scenario, he still ends up being one of the best guys you can hope to have in the locker room.

But according to some people here, James Gist or DerMarr Johnson > Robert Horry, so whatever. :rolleyes

mojorizen7
06-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Sounds like a great idea. Bring 'em back....please.
Seriously though.....why?

SenorSpur
06-28-2008, 08:43 PM
The guy had one bad season which was riddled with family issues and injury. He didn't even start playing basketball until what, a couple weeks before the playoffs? And that decision was on Pop just as much as it was Horry. He can't always catch lightning in a bottle.

But I know guys have gotten passes on much worse seasons than that. Greg Oden hasn't even played a single NBA minute, and people are still ready to concede the league to him in the next few years.

I have no qualms with letting Finley walk. Even to see Barry leave for the same reasons wouldn't be a surprise.

But Robert Horry isn't your typical player. He's one of the most inspirational cases the game has ever seen, and if he is serious about wanting to prove that last season really was just a bad season, I think you roll those dice and give him a chance. He only single-handledly saved our third championship, and helped put the nails into a number of other playoff foes.

Worst case scenario, he still ends up being one of the best guys you can hope to have in the locker room.

But according to some people here, James Gist or DerMarr Johnson > Robert Horry, so whatever. :rolleyes

Family issue aside, Horry just appeared to "sleep-walk" throughout the season. For the first time, he appeared, to me anyway, as though he had already retired. That, perhaps, the mental grind had caught up with him. Whatever the case, the injuries? No big surprise there. Older players are more prone to injure. Out of shape? Well, go figure.

I'm not going to rehash my argument on this. However, I will add this. For the record, YES, I would rather the Spurs invest roster spots in both Gist and Johnson over both Horry and Finley. Sure they don't have the same level of experience and will make their share of mistakes, but at least their production arrow are pointed firmly up, not down. Get these guys some consistent regular season burn and let the learning curve begin.

It is possible to gain contributions from younger players during the season and into the playoffs. If that wasn't the case, Rondo wouldn't have succeeded in Boston; Vujacic in Fakerland; Wright in New Orleans. Just takes a little patience and development.

misterx91578
06-28-2008, 09:10 PM
I say let him go

pad300
06-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Just as a point to everyone. IT'S NOT ABOUT THE MONEY. We hold his Bird Rights - it doesn't come out of the money we have to offer FA's (the MLE, the LLE and Vet Min Contracts). IT'S ABOUT THE ROSTER SPOT. This coming year we have 4 vet bigs (assuming we resign Kurt) - Thomas, Duncan, Oberto, Bonner. We hope Mahinmi develops. The season after this one, we have 3 reliable Bigs on the roster (assuming KT resigns for 2 years - 2010 plan, and Mahinmi pans out) - Duncan, Thomas (very old, potentially done ala Horry this season), Mahinmi. We have to start succession planning or try and find at least 2 and maybe 3 usable bigs as FA's in the summer of 09 (note, we have no 1st rounder, and Splitter doesn't have a buyout until 2010, IIRC). Good Luck with that FO. We need to start developing a big for the future, beyond Mahinmi. Unless you think that developmental big is Bonner, it's time to use that Roster spot on someone younger than Horry.

There are candidates - Gist (although I look at him as an SF in the NBA), Sanikidze (Also an SF, but IIRC, rumour on the board said he'd grown to 6'10, he was our best SL player last year, but seems to be made of glass), Javtokas (he might be a bit old for a developmental spot, still he could learn the system and maybe give us 4 or 5 years...). There are FA's as well - guys like Fazekas (a personal favorite), Diop (although he will be relatively expensive), O'Bryant (IMO a stiff...), some really hard to get RFA's (Landry, Biedrins, etc), Kwame Brown (I don't like this idea)...
Really, there are a lot of potential candidates, but we NEED, IMO, to use that roster spot to develop a big for longer term use.

Oh, Gee!!
06-28-2008, 09:14 PM
for another team? it's his life.

rj215
06-28-2008, 09:57 PM
guys horry's age don't get better. we're talking about a full season and post season worth of basketball for a guy that's going to be 38! at this point his body is breaking down and he plays less and less in the regular season. the west is competitive enough and we can't afford to have our backup 4 miss so many games.

horry is a spurs legend already and who knows, he may have a spot on the coaching staff if he wants it. i think that would be the best way for him to help the team with his leadership and savy.

nattabby
06-28-2008, 10:00 PM
last i heard he was retiring but i might be wrong...

Josepatches
06-29-2008, 11:19 AM

:clap:clap

Tully365
06-29-2008, 03:30 PM
I imagine the Spurs will use the MLE for a swing player, leaving only the LLE, Gist, or a surprise D-league/Euro for a backup big. It would be nice to upgrade from Horry, but might not be possible at this point. He's still a bargain at a minimum salary.

SenorSpur
06-29-2008, 03:43 PM
I imagine the Spurs will use the MLE for a swing player, leaving only the LLE, Gist, or a surprise D-league/Euro for a backup big. It would be nice to upgrade from Horry, but might not be possible at this point. He's still a bargain at a minimum salary.

A possible suitable replacement for Horry would be Eduardo Najera. Obviously, he doesn't posess Horry's clutch shooting ability, his BBIQ or his impressive playoff resume and experience. However, he's tough, physical, rebounds, can defend the post. and now even has the ability to spread the floor with his surprising 3-point shooting range.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98573

Tully365
06-29-2008, 03:59 PM
A possible suitable replacement for Horry would be Eduardo Najera. Obviously, he doesn't posess Horry's clutch shooting ability, his BBIQ or his impressive playoff resume and experience. However, he's tough, physical, rebounds, can defend the post. and now even has the ability to spread the floor with his surprising 3-point shooting range.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98573

Do yo think Najera would sign for the LLE? I know he has mentioned the Spurs as a team he'd like to play for.... his hustle would make him a fan fav, and his nose is even more distinguished than Ginobili's! --No doubt descended from Aztec royalty!

Tully365
06-29-2008, 04:08 PM

"You big Dummy!"

--F.S.

Que Gee
06-29-2008, 05:45 PM

I would be surprised to see Barry back in a Spurs uni next year.

SenorSpur
06-29-2008, 05:51 PM
I would be surprised to see Barry back in a Spurs uni next year.

Had it not been for Barry's performance versus the Fakers and the fact that he elected to come back after the trade, I would agree. That said, I predict Barry will be in a Spurs uniform at least 1 more season.