PDA

View Full Version : Telecom Immunity, for a price

ElNono
06-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Telecom Amnesty Flip-Floppers Got More Telecom Dollars
By Ryan Singel

Democrats who switched from opposing to supporting legal amnesty to telecoms that aided the government's warrantless wiretapping program received twice as much money, on average, from telcom political action groups than Democrats whose opposed the idea in March and again last Friday, according to an analysis of campaign donations by Maplight.org.

220 Democratic members of the House voted against telecom amnesty in March, when the Democrats unexpectedly rejected a Bush-backed Senate spying bill. But, 94 of those switched their vote last Friday, supporting a bill ironed out by the House leadership that expands the government's ability to conduct blanket wiretaps inside American telecom facilities and freeing those companies from the 40 or so lawsuits pending in Federal court.

Maplight.org analyzed the contributions to both sets of the Democrats and found that those who switched their votes received, on average, 40 percent more money in campaign contributions over the last three years from Sprint, Verizon and AT&T's political action committees.

On average, those who changed their votes collected $8,359 dollars from those PACs from January 2005 through March 2008, while those who did not change their opposition collected $4,987.

For all House members, including Republicans, those supporting immunity collected nearly twice as much money from those PACs than those who did not: $9,659 to $4,810.

Maplight.org was careful not to say that any member's vote was purchased, but says the correlation raises questions.

"Why did these ninety-four House members have a change of heart?" asked Daniel Newman, executive director of Maplight.org in the accompanying press release. "Their constituents deserve answers."

Larry Lessig, a Stanford professor who serves on Maplight.org's board, has argued that money corrupts, despite the fact that our current crop of politicians may be the cleanest in the nation's history.

In a March speech about his new project to drive special interest money out of politics, Lessig argued that politicians subtly align themselves with the money they have and need to raise -- much like researchers funded by drug companies internalize their benefactors' goals.

"Money corrupts the process of reasoning," Lessig said. "They get a sixth sense of how what they do might affect how they raise money."

LINK (http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/06/telecom-amnesty.html)

Nbadan
06-28-2008, 12:43 AM
One big difference is that unlike the Republican-controlled do-nothing Congress of past, Progressive and Liberals are taking notice of how these Democratic leaders are stabbing them in the back and bringing pressure to take the immunity out of the bill or give Obama the power to go back when he is elected President and make it possible to sue these bastards...

Wild Cobra
06-28-2008, 10:23 AM
On average, those who changed their votes collected $8,359 dollars from those PACs from January 2005 through March 2008, while those who did not change their opposition collected $4,987.

For all House members, including Republicans, those supporting immunity collected nearly twice as much money from those PACs than those who did not: $9,659 to $4,810.

I'd suggest everyone stop and think about the money. I'd suggest that the extra money was recieved after realizing their vote would change, and not to buy it. Anyone really think an approximate $4,000 increase is enough to buy a vote when millions are spent for the election process? That's a drop in the bucket.

There is another reason for higher amounts. People who support a politicians actions pay more in contributions. I'd say since it's no great amount of money, that's the reason.

There are other possibilities too. Includoing the fact they don't break down the Telecoms by company.

The lack of needed truth leads me to believe this is just a propaganda hit piece. It is really important since there are so many telecoms, to know if the affected ones changed their contributions. It could also be the competition of those under scrutiny like the prior vote.

Then another question that is important. Why did the democrats change their mind. Was it for political reasons, money, or simply understanding the reasons for what they are.

Articles like that are a disgrace. They are also an insult to people of intelligence.

boutons_
06-28-2008, 11:15 AM
"I'd suggest that the extra money was recieved after realizing their vote would change"

evidence? none. Just propaganda.

It's easier to imagine that there will be MORE telelom $$$ flowing to Congressmen who voted yes to immunity, esp those who are up for re-election this year. The corps keep the money flowing to keep the votes flowing, for years and years. The sums cost the corps nothing compared to the corps' benefits that run to $Bs.

"Why did the democrats change their mind"

Why does any Congress do anything? It's all about enriching corps so Congress can get the kickbacks. The Prime Suspect is always quid-pro-quo $$$.

Clandestino
06-28-2008, 12:46 PM
4k grand as a bribe???

xrayzebra
06-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Nevermind that the Telecoms provide some valuable information for our intel people and more than likely stopped further attacks on our country.

The dimms at first wanted to give the trial lawyers what they wanted and PAID for. So, if the Telecoms get a little slack for donations, more power to them.

And I thank them for services rendered. And boutons and Dan, go suck a lemon.

boutons_
06-28-2008, 01:30 PM
"4k grand as a bribe"

any amount is a bribe, and who said 4K was all they would ever get? They will shakedown the telcos for more.

ElNono
06-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Like I said in another post, worst Congress I can remember in a long while...

Clandestino
06-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Like I said in another post, worst Congress I can remember in a long while...

democrats for you

Nbadan
06-28-2008, 08:45 PM
Yeah, the do-nothing Republicans (who did nothing while Dubya used the Constitution as toilet papter) were much better...

:rolleyes

Wild Cobra
06-29-2008, 12:11 PM
4k grand as a bribe???

I know. It's a riot that these libtards thing that's a bribe to a congressman. That's chump change to them.

Wild Cobra
06-29-2008, 12:13 PM
And I thank them for services rendered. And boutons and Dan, go suck a lemon.
I think they're sucking the fifth leg of a donkey.

You think they think it's a lemon?