PDA

View Full Version : George Hill Future

coachmac87
06-28-2008, 01:58 PM
could he eventually be our future 2 guard?

i kno he is small. but so was ben gordon, and it seems the league numbers in combo guards are rising.

i think it could work, i really like this pick.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-28-2008, 02:01 PM
I doubt it.
It's better to keep looking for our 2 guard in free agency.

Steve-O-Matic
06-28-2008, 02:02 PM
No.

Spurtacus
06-28-2008, 02:02 PM
I mainly see him as a PG backing Parker. But, Pop could play him at the two with Parker...from time to time.

coachmac87
06-28-2008, 02:04 PM
I doubt it.
It's better to keep looking for our 2 guard in free agency.

not talkin about this year....thats why the thread says FUTURE!!!

i meant years down the road i dunno maybe 2-3...

i just dont see this kid being a career backup to tony...

tp2021
06-28-2008, 02:11 PM
future 2-guard? perhaps more like future 6th man, but that is also highly unlikely. wait until summer league to evaluate his skills and usefulness.

mrspurs
06-28-2008, 02:11 PM
we've never seen hill play in a spur uniform, and your asking about his future?....if he makes the team ill be somewhat surprised...

rj215
06-28-2008, 02:12 PM

Too small to start even in the future. Not a whole lot of short starting 2 guards in the league. And we wouldn't be able to play him at the same time with Tony unless we really went to small ball and I don't think Pop wants to do that all the time.

coachmac87
06-28-2008, 02:19 PM
they say he is 6'2-6'3 but plays like he is 6'6....and the league is changing and getting smaller..

i think it can work

coachmac87
06-28-2008, 02:20 PM
look around the league and the average 2 guard is about 6'4

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-28-2008, 02:25 PM

Yea this offseason is so we can look at the future.
So we get our 2 guard in free agency for the future...

JamStone
06-28-2008, 02:33 PM
we've never seen hill play in a spur uniform, and your asking about his future?....if he makes the team ill be somewhat surprised...

He made the team. He's a first round pick and has a guaranteed contract.

JamStone
06-28-2008, 02:34 PM
look around the league and the average 2 guard is about 6'4

I think the average 2-guard is closer to 6'6"

SPURSGOAT
06-28-2008, 02:39 PM

Surprised!? he will make the team since he was a first rounder...

As far as him maybe being a future 2 guard.. it could be possible... I can see Pop using him at times at SG in the small ball rotation... he will be Parker's primary backup, but I have a good feeling that he will be in the rotation in other ways too... He might be small for the SG spot, but he is quick, can shoot, slash to the basket, dunk... so don't be surprised to see him in there with Tony at times. I am truly excited about this kid. :flag:

T Park
06-28-2008, 02:42 PM

He will have a guaranteed contract and Pop likes him idiot.

El_Mago
06-28-2008, 02:46 PM
I think it is more likely to see a set of Parker and Hill when we go small ball.

It would be a very quick backcourt.

I like the fact that he models his game after Monta Ellis.

He plays the fastbreak and is active in between the lanes.

Monta Ellis is small, but plays like shooting first point guard, which I could see Hill playing.

angelbelow
06-28-2008, 02:51 PM
he describes himself as monta ellis, so if he is able to do what monta has done in a couple years, then he could very well earn the starting spot as a 1 or 2, but most likely a 2 with parker being here for a while.

tav1
06-28-2008, 02:55 PM
I'd be happy if he could be our back up point guard in the present. If Malik Hairston makes the team, he might be our future two. Underscore might. They'll also have a free agent option in someone like Azubuike or Delfino, both of whom are young enough to enter the "future" conversation.

Hill is a point.

T Park
06-28-2008, 02:58 PM
If Hairston gives effort and shoes he cares, no question he will make the team.

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-28-2008, 03:08 PM
I think the average 2-guard is closer to 6'6"

Yes good guess you are right. I take all NBA SG and average their height and I gets 6'5 3/4" as average for NBA SG.

exstatic
06-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Yes good guess you are right. I take all NBA SG and average their height and I gets 6'5 3/4" as average for NBA SG.

You need something resembling a life.

AFBlue
06-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Not full-time, but could probably justify spending some time there alongside Tony if he shoots well enough at this level.

Think Jannero Pargo.

ajh18
06-28-2008, 04:40 PM
I think he could be very helpful with the second unit. Manu could help him with the ballhandling, and he can hopefully add another scoring option from the backcourt.

SPURSGOAT
06-28-2008, 04:48 PM
I think he could be very helpful with the second unit. Manu could help him with the ballhandling, and he can hopefully add another scoring option from the backcourt.

Yea if he can help to take some of the pressure off of Ginobli while he is in there. So it is not like last season where Ginobli was our only play maker when TP and TD were on the bench...

200 miles
06-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Not full-time, but could probably justify spending some time there alongside Tony if he shoots well enough at this level.

Think Jannero Pargo.

Also think Barbosa, Farmar and Devin Harris (when he was a mav)

Ocotillo
06-28-2008, 05:22 PM
If Hairston gives effort and shoes he cares, no question he will make the team.

Interesting.

Nothing but my gut and I admit I am one of the weaker judges of talent out there but I think of the three taken in the draft, he is the most likely to be cut first. I hope he comes in with a great attitude and is cool with playing for the Toros to see if he can bring something to the rotation in the future.

The comment earlier about him maybe becoming a starter someday, now I think that is a very long shot.

coachmac87
06-28-2008, 05:23 PM
according to ESPN.com

starting 2 guards 6'5 and under

1)dwayne wade 6'4
2)jason terry 6'2
3) monta ellis 6'3
4) cuttino mobley 6'4
5)allen iverson 6'0
6)rashad mccants 6'4
7)ray allen 6'5
8)deshawn stevenson 6'5
9)fred jones 6'2
10)larry hughes 6'5
11)willie green 6'4
12) daniel gibson 6'2
13) raja bell 6'5

i dont get why people are sayin he has to be our backup to tony for his career...

"He is long and lanky that makes him play bigger than his actual size" quote from nbadraft.net

if not a starter one day....can be a fuckin damn good combo guard off the bench like ben gordon

Ocotillo
06-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Yea if he can help to take some of the pressure off of Ginobli while he is in there. So it is not like last season where Ginobli was our only play maker when TP and TD were on the bench...

If we can get the right starting two guard to go with Tony this could be exciting. You would have Tony and say Kelenna or J.R. and then a back court of Manu with GHill which would be quick and two solid ball handlers at the same time.

There would be no rest for our opponents.

coachmac87
06-28-2008, 05:30 PM
i dont see why u can have an undersized forward..but its not wise to have an undersized guard?

guards are supposed to play on the perimeter. you can afford to go small with a guard, especially if they play bigger than they are and if they can flat out score...exactly what hill is.

there are not many guards who post up and take advantage of the smaller guards. and like i said before the combo guard is becoming more and more valuable with the change of the game becoming more up and down.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Tony + Hill = too small backcourt.

Calispur
06-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Hill could definently spend some time at the two guard as well as backing up Tony. I think Hill is a guy that can come in next in contribute anywhere from 15-25 minutes on a nighlty basis. I base this on the fact that Tony averaged 33 min/game last year, that leaves 15 minutes for the backup(hopefully Hill, and not Vaughn. This would alleviate some of the pressure off Manu if he didn't have to run the point at times), and he could also spend around 10 min/game playing alongside Tony. Pop must force feed both him and Ian minutes early in the year so that by the time the playoffs roll around they are both ready if need be. In 2007 the Mavs played the majority of the year with Devin Harris and Jason Terry as their backcourt, with Terry(Terry is 6'2) essentially playing the 2-guard. When Harris is in and moving over to the point when Harris would go out and Stackhouse would come in. I could see this happening at times especially if Hill turns out to be the truth. Pop could so something like start Manu, then bring Hill in for Tony for a lil bit, and then bring Tony back in while Hill slides over to the 2-guard to give Manu a breather. With the new rule changes it allows for smaller guards to be able to play the game, in fact there are some successfull small backcourts that would be considered small in that they have a point guard along side a combo-guard.

Devin Harris and Jason Terry-2007, Steve Nash and Barbosa, Baron Davis and Monta Ellis, Delonte West and Daniel Gibson, Gilbert Arenas and Antonio Daniels(part of the time)

If Hill could turn out to be like a Daniel Gibson I think he would be a huge pickup. Gibsons numbers for this year are 30mps 10.4 pts, 2.3 rebs, 2.5 ast.

taps
06-28-2008, 06:13 PM
His ups/athleticism, 6'9 wingspan (!!!), super-defense, handles, range, and DRob-like BMI give him a lot of versatility to play the 1-3 spot given the right situation.

If he proves he can play defense as well as the Spurs say he does I can definitely see him guarding Nash/CP3 which opens up options for Bowen and maybe our Free Agent (if we get a KAzub-like wing player.)

This may not happen right away but in a season or two when he knows the playbook backward & forward I think Pop will tinker with his position. In this way he could be a versatile 6-Hondo.

AFBlue
06-28-2008, 06:16 PM
according to ESPN.com

starting 2 guards 6'5 and under

1)dwayne wade 6'4
2)jason terry 6'2
3) monta ellis 6'3
4) cuttino mobley 6'4
5)allen iverson 6'0
6)rashad mccants 6'4
7)ray allen 6'5
8)deshawn stevenson 6'5
9)fred jones 6'2
10)larry hughes 6'5
11)willie green 6'4
12) daniel gibson 6'2
13) raja bell 6'5

i dont get why people are sayin he has to be our backup to tony for his career...

"He is long and lanky that makes him play bigger than his actual size" quote from nbadraft.net

if not a starter one day....can be a fuckin damn good combo guard off the bench like ben gordon

The only one on that list that Hill compares favorably to is Gibson...who spends most of his time at PG or matched up against opposing PGs.

And Ben Gordon has spent the last two or three years constantly on the trade block because his size is a defensive liability...despite being a scoring machine.

Adding to that, I think we're all jumping to the conclusion that Hill will be a good/great scorer on the NBA level....which is yet to be seen.

Let's just see how the summer league experiment goes with trying to make Hill into a halfway-decent PG.

AFBlue
06-28-2008, 06:21 PM
His ups/athleticism, 6'9 wingspan (!!!), super-defense, handles, range, and DRob-like BMI give him a lot of versatility to play the 1-3 spot given the right situation.

If he proves he can play defense as well as the Spurs say he does I can definitely see him guarding Nash/CP3 which opens up options for Bowen and maybe our Free Agent (if we get a KAzub-like wing player.)

This may not happen right away but in a season or two when he knows the playbook backward & forward I think Pop will tinker with his position. In this way he could be a versatile 6-Hondo.

Easy killer....

The thought is to get him comfortable with running the show and playing sound defense.

BTW, he'll never guard a SF....he'd be giving up 40+ pounds in any given match.

Bruno
06-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Hill is 6'2.5 with a 6'9" wingspan and is very athletic. He has quite the physical tools to play some SG.

mrspurs
06-28-2008, 06:25 PM
He made the team. He's a first round pick and has a guaranteed contract.

whats his jersey number?

kobyz
06-28-2008, 06:36 PM
he remind me of monta ellis a little bit

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-28-2008, 06:40 PM
whats his jersey number?

More than likely 3.

taps
06-29-2008, 01:58 AM
The thought is to get him comfortable with running the show and playing sound defense.
That's why I said it'd take a couple of seasons, and the reason my post was focused on defense

BTW, he'll never guard a SF....he'd be giving up 40+ pounds in any given match.

Don't be dense, I never said he would guard a SF. Given that Bowen is our defensive answer for the Nashes of the league if Hill pans out on defense there's no reason to believe he can't fill in for Bruce (who is a small forward) given the right situation. This could free up Bruce to do other things, like take a nap.

Edit: added the indefinite article a before the word nap.

lotr1trekkie
06-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Hill was definitely drafted as a backup for Tony-- someone could actually shoot from outside and open up the defense. 2 guard--- not way!!!! Vaughn will be assigned to tutor him during his last contract. Horry might be brought back to tutor Mahamni.

bobbybob0
06-29-2008, 04:27 PM
i dont see why u can have an undersized forward..but its not wise to have an undersized guard?

You can't have two undersized guards, Parker is barely 6"2 already.

It's Ok if your PG is big enough to switch to the opposing SG on defense.

See, Chicago troubles this year with Gordon and Hinrich in their backcourt.

SCdac
06-29-2008, 04:28 PM
With the new rule changes it allows for smaller guards to be able to play the game, in fact there are some successfull small backcourts that would be considered small in that they have a point guard along side a combo-guard.

Devin Harris and Jason Terry-2007, Steve Nash and Barbosa, Baron Davis and Monta Ellis, Delonte West and Daniel Gibson, Gilbert Arenas and Antonio Daniels(part of the time)

The only thing I don't like about those combos... is none have them have gotten their team a championship.

The Mavs got knocked out in the first round, the Suns haven't amounted to shit, the Warriors upset the Mavs but didn't make the PO's the next year, Cavs didn't make it the ECF after getting to the Finals the year before, Wizards got knocked out of the first round again.

When you look at some of the trully "successful" teams, most of them have a prototypical shooting guard. Spurs have Ginobili, Celtics have Allen, Heat have Wade, Lakers have Kobe, Pistons have Hamilton, etc.

I'm not going to argue that those combos aren't effective, or don't help teams have winning regular seasons, but smaller does not equal better IMO. If a player is undersized, he's undersized. The one thing Hill has going for him is his length and athleticism, no complaints here, but I'm partial to a more conventional lineup myself. Hill and Parker on court together would be pretty small IMO.

but we haven't even seen Hill play so who knows... just saying.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2008, 04:53 PM
There are plenty of undersized shooting guards coming off the bench all over the NBA.

It's not going to be a regular lineup, but Parker and Hill will likely play together at times.

SenorSpur
06-29-2008, 05:00 PM
could he eventually be our future 2 guard?

i think it could work, i really like this pick.

I like the pick too. Because of this size, I highly doubt he has a future at that position. Perhaps, some occasional spot minutes in a small-ball lineup.

mystargtr34
06-29-2008, 06:40 PM
George Hill may have a big wingspan.... but most of that comes from his wide shoulders.... his standing reach is only 8'1.5"... averge for a 2 guard is about 8'5"... but sure he can see spot minutes at the 2

The George Hill
06-29-2008, 11:04 PM
George Hill shall become what George Hill chooses to be.